Jim Ryan is retiring from PlayStation

JPtheNeurotic

On 9/28/2023 at 7:22 PM, Taliesin_2943 said:

I'm not so sure cause I was always reading that it was the American side of Sony PlayStation that was doing the censoring rules and it was alienating Japanese developers who like having fanservice

Wow, ok, i did not know that, and was just guessing here. Yet another reason to feel happy about Jim's upcoming retirement then.

Edited by dimonemt

10 hours ago, RedDevil757 said:

This guy doesn't stop does he... Onto my ignore list you go. Some people take things way too seriously. I come on here to chill. Not to argue.

When you post that you're not posting further, as in your last word, you're supposed to just let it go. By then posting again, even if to do this usual petty nonsense that you like to do, it just exposes the fact that you're not an honest person. I stated that I wouldn't post further as you had your last word and you decided you just had to get another shot in. Just petty. Be better. Have some self control.

SIE closing the PS3 and Vita’s storefront is inevitable, let’s face it.

All I ask is that they do so at least 365 days after officially announcing such a decision, giving consumers only a couple months notice is just not good enough.

Look... while I'll agree I never really 'got' the severe push from PlayStation towards GaaS and I just don't like them in general... too much microtransaction garbage and most of them seem to fail and shut down in about a year to six months after they launch or less... there are still too many assumptions with this. Just because Jim Ryan, who may have been the main person for the severe push towards GaaS but we don't know that for sure, is leaving doesn't mean they are going to end said severe push.

Again like I said before... too many assumptions things will 'change' with no evidence to suggest this.

5 minutes ago, SelectiveGamer said:

Look... while I'll agree I never really 'got' the severe push from PlayStation towards GaaS and I just don't like them in general... too much microtransaction garbage and most of them seem to fail and shut down in about a year to six months after they launch or less... there are still too many assumptions with this. Just because Jim Ryan, who may have been the main person for the severe push towards GaaS but we don't know that for sure, is leaving doesn't mean they are going to end said severe push.

Again like I said before... too many assumptions things will 'change' with no evidence to suggest this.

The thing is with GaaS is that there are multiple ways to monetize it. Look at Tekken and Street Fighter, those are GaaS games. They have multiple season/character passes and new DLC coming out every few months and the games get updated routinely and this is on top with the main game being $70.

33 minutes ago, SelectiveGamer said:

I'd hardly call the push for more multiplayer/GaaS titles in the PlayStation lineup as "severe". Helldivers 2 is the only such title releasing any time soon, and that's a sequel to an existing IP. Of course other titles have been announced too, but they're probably a long way off considering we've seen very little from any of them. Regardless, I think the general reaction to Sony's "push" into the live service territory, which has been overwhelmingly negative, has been vastly overblown, and I say that as someone who tends to avoid such games at all costs for the exact reasons you laid out. 

I remember since the tail end of the PS3 gen, and throughout the PS4 gen, a lot of people were crying out for more first-party multiplayer and shooter titles on PlayStation. It's an area PlayStation have been weak in for the past decade. Now they're finally addressing that weakness and they get dumped on for it.

If the high-quality single player games that PlayStation are known for were to cease entirely in favour of this live service push, then that's a completely different story. But some people are acting like that's what's going to happen when that's the furthest thing from the truth. These GaaS titles are meant to be additive, they're meant to fill a gap the company is weak in, they're not going replace the cornerstone of the entire business, which is top-notch single player games. And who knows, maybe a couple of them will even turn out to be pleasant surprises. 

But to bring it back on topic, yes, I agree. I doubt much of anything will 'change' at PlayStation in the near future. Any pre-existing plans and games are likely to go ahead as planned. A change in leadership isn't going to affect much, not in the short-term at least. The next generation is when we'll likely see changes in strategy if there are to be any. 

• Like 2

On 9/30/2023 at 3:54 AM, Dry said:

SIE closing the PS3 and Vita’s storefront is inevitable, let’s face it.

All I ask is that they do so at least 365 days after officially announcing such a decision, giving consumers only a couple months notice is just not good enough.

I don't mind that much if they closed the stores, after all there's still ways to get any content of PS3 and then some. 

I would be more concerned if  they decided to drop the trophy system on PS3 and VITA along the way. That would be awful as officially only using the streaming premium service would be the only way to get those trophies synced. 

• Like 2

sometimes, all it takes to have faith in God is just small signs like these, an absolutely positive piece of news, don't let the door hit you on your way back, you were in charge of the best gaming platform for years and did nothing good for/with it

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Just going to point out a couple of things: I see a lot of folks blaming Ryan for all that nastybad “censorship,” but given complaints regarding a “censorship policy” were being issued back when Death Mark came out in the West and there was debate on whether Mary Skelter 2 would be making the jump at all (both of which occurred in 2018), and numerous other releases had already been toned down or doctored for Western release (Criminal Girls and GalGun come to mind) prior to that, while Ryan didn’t take office until 2019, seems like some folks like to lay the blame on him just because. (Also, if anyone has any documentation regarding an actual policy on the books at Sony regarding such censorship, please share. Haven’t found it m’self, but if it’s real, I’m curious.) There’s also the possibility that a lot of devs and publishers look at the sales numbers, and say “Know what? Localization when we’re only gonna sell 5,000 copies seems like too big of an expense… especially when the systems are region free and PlayAsia is like, right there. The anime tiddy brigade will find their way to us, I’m sure.”

Something else that gets laid at his feet is “killing the Vita.” Vita officially ended production in March of 2019 - roughly one month into Ryan’s reign. True. However, they had disclosed that was going to happen at least as early as the previous September. Meaning Ryan didn’t really have a hand in that one, either.

If folks want to throw his scarecrow in the pile and burn it, you do you… but at least do it for the things he actually did and quit tacking on the sins of his predecessors just because you dislike him more.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/7/2023 at 4:19 PM, Rozalia1 said:

And people were spreading (astroturfing) around that Jim Ryan, who has made PlayStation more successful than ever, got fired instead of legitimately retiring. Not only is the man getting celebrated at Sony, but he has essentially legend status, especially in the UK/EU.

Oh they're still doing it but now the excuse is "well they don't  want to scare shareholders"

• Like 2

• 2 months later...