Jim Ryan is retiring from PlayStation

JPtheNeurotic

9 minutes ago, dimonemt said:

Unlikely, i think it was not coming from Jim Ryan, but from his bosses in Japan. We'll be able to see whether or not they are still in the mood for censoring games fairly soon. It was said by it's creator that Immortality will come to PS5, and it comes with boatload of content warnings, and can be pretty intense sometimes. I'm keeping close eye on this game, and worrying that i could be impacted by this censorship bs.

I'm not so sure cause I was always reading that it was the American side of Sony PlayStation that was doing the censoring rules and it was alienating Japanese developers who like having fanservice

2 minutes ago, majob said:

Just have to say, everyone bringing up the censorship policy: Jim Ryan wasn't the one who implemented it. A lot of the things you blame on him he had little or nothing to do with but as CEO he's the face and gets directed with the blame but I think you should all just know that.

I wasn't blaming him I was asking if his leaving would change that policy I don't really know much about the inner workings why would i

26 minutes ago, baboon_overlord said:

Also, get someone who cares about PlayStation and its history and legacy.

I think people really need to realize that a CEO is someone who simply delegates tasks and manages budgets. They don't need to care about gaming to do their job, they need to know how to select right people for the task at hand and how to properly use the money at hand for growth

Edited by majob
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, farradono said:

Eh, people are overestimating the importance of a CEO, I don’t see anything changing from this.

Yeah I'm not really sure what people are expecting, he was the face of a lot of decisions that people don't like but his involvment in those decisions was probably a lot smaller than people think

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, majob said:

I think people really need to realize that a CEO is someone who simply delegates tasks and manages budgets. They don't need to care about gaming to do their job, they need to know how to select right people for the task at hand and how to properly use the money at hand for growth

33 minutes ago, MD_91 said:

Yeah I'm not really sure what people are expecting, he was the face of a lot of decisions that people don't like but his involvment in those decisions was probably a lot smaller than people think

The fish rots from the head down.

There was a whole series of UK TV programs where one guy went into an organization (some of them pretty big) and he fixed their problems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troubleshooter_(TV_series)

I'm not arguing with you - modern corporate culture is all about passing the buck to the extent that you get compartmentalization and a complete lack of transparency. Now erect some gate keepers to stop the public from interfacing with the decision makers and give the low level staff no autonomy and you have a recipe for disaster. It's no wonder these people at the top are so big on AI replacing everyone, we are practically there already.

A good CEO has time to take an interest in the issues and look at things from a customer-facing perspective. I don't care how big your organization is. You get paid the big bucks, go earn them.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, baboon_overlord said:

There was a whole series of UK TV programs where one guy went into an organization (some of them pretty big) and he fixed their problems.

htt

29 minutes ago, baboon_overlord said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troubleshooter_(TV_series)

I'm not arguing with you - modern corporate culture is all about passing the buck to the extent that you get compartmentalization and a complete lack of transparency. Now erect some gate keepers to stop the public from interfacing with the decision makers and give the low level staff no autonomy and you have a recipe for disaster. It's no wonder these people at the top are so big on AI replacing everyone, we are practically there already.

A good CEO has time to take an interest in the issues and look at things from a customer-facing perspective. I don't care how big your organization is. You get paid the big bucks, go earn them.

ps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troubleshooter_(TV_series)

That tv show was based around smaller businesses where a CEO has a larger impact on decision making. When you get to the level of multi conglomerate businesses like Sony, a CEO is little more than a task master figurehead. Ryan has a board he has to report to, the board makes decisions, Ryan simply OKs them.  I agree that a CEO who can feel the market they're in can make good decisions but on this level they don't need to care about the product at large, they need to know first and foremost how to run a company, there are already departments whom are responsible for customer engagement at that point

• Like 1

This is good news that he's stepping down.

I never liked his hypocritical opinions about gamers such as "nobody wants to play retro games anymore" yet they release all the PS1 classics through PS Premium.

Or how he wanted to shut down the Vita and PS3 stores (glad they reversed that decision).

I hope whoever replaces him will do a decent job, but for me the biggest topic of discussion will be them keeping the PS3 and Vita stores running indefinitely!

• Like 4

12 hours ago, RedDevil757 said:

I'm not wasting time with you. I'm not reading that 

Except the post I responded to from you, directed at me, was also a large post (mine was a little bigger). To be able to effectively use this tactic you're trying you have to keep your own posts short, so you can brush everything off as not worth your time. As you failed to, as you failed in mounting an argument with any amount of strength, it exposes you as someone who knows they're beaten but doesn't have the integrity to admit it, so you're running.

Certainly fitting you're more into Xbox now as you go well together. Xbox like yourself can dish it out but once they have to actually compete they fold instantly.

8 hours ago, majob said:

That tv show was based around smaller businesses where a CEO has a larger impact on decision making. When you get to the level of multi conglomerate businesses like Sony, a CEO is little more than a task master figurehead. Ryan has a board he has to report to, the board makes decisions, Ryan simply OKs them.  I agree that a CEO who can feel the market they're in can make good decisions but on this level they don't need to care about the product at large, they need to know first and foremost how to run a company, there are already departments whom are responsible for customer engagement at that point

Exactly. A lot of people fail to see that being the boss is a completely different ball game than other roles. As you say, having a boss who is a 'gamer' can be a benefit, but it actually can also itself be a negative which many also don't realise. We have cases in gaming where someone who certainly has a lot of passion for gaming becomes a boss... and it leads to complete mismanagement. Massive amounts are invested for little/no gain, features are expanded endlessly as the 'gamer' boss wants to make it as good as possible which leads to the opposite, and so forth.

Jim Ryan may well not be a hardcore gamer, but he has the skills to manage the people with the strong passion into making great games. That is far more worthwhile than having mismanagement but hey, he wears a gaming shirt referencing X game. Phil Spencer, which some actually think is a better boss which is certainly an amazing thought to have, is a good example of someone who is a complete failure because of what can be said to be their passion. Spencer as could be told to start with but the leaks have only confirmed, is fully into the console wars. He follows everything said on the internet, summed up by... I forget who... as 'Spencer doesn't just read YouTube comments... he scrolls'. Being an incompetent who got the job by default and has even more incompetent people under him in his management team, he doesn't take the time to slow down and actually learn how to do his job correctly. Instead he keeps going and just throws out more and more of Microsoft's money in hope that if enough is thrown then they'll eventually start succeeding. While Ryan and other bosses step down from their job even though they're on top as it is time, Spencer continues on and on as he fails harder and harder because he simply must be the one to defeat PlayStation, unaware that by staying in his role for as long as he has he has essentially become an asset for Sony.

5 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

Except the post I responded to from you, directed at me, was also a large post (mine was a little bigger). To be able to effectively use this tactic you're trying you have to keep your own posts short, so you can brush everything off as not worth your time. As you failed to, as you failed in mounting an argument with any amount of strength, it exposes you as someone who knows they're beaten but doesn't have the integrity to admit it, so you're running.

Certainly fitting you're more into Xbox now as you go well together. Xbox like yourself can dish it out but once they have to actually compete they fold instantly.

What's with all the Xbox stuff? Nothing to do with my dislike of Jim Ryan

Reading your comments, you really come across like you just want to argue with people. Not just me but others.

Let's just leave it as I and others on here don't like him and you do. Simple. If not then I think a mod should lock this thread as arguing over stupid crap just isn't worth it

• Like 4

15 hours ago, AJ_-_808 said:

Doubtful, especially now with Xbox & Nintendo shutting down older infrastructure.

PS3 & Vita are on borrowed time

Yeah when I heard about those going down, I knew Sony had to be next. I only hope they somehow do keep those alive though, maybe as a way of saying "we care about our players so we won't go down the same route as Xbox/Nintendo."

One can hope!

• Like 1

Just wanna add that GaaS, the apparent flagship of this new era of PlayStation or at least one of their main goals now... are dying. Even Epic just fired 900 employees because Fortnite is not making the same amount of money anymore; SEGA shut down Hyenas even before it came out, and so on. There's a lot of examples. 

I'm not interested in argue anymore, but is another example of a bad decision which probably will have consequences. And that's why i'm hoping a new, fresh air (although i admit i'm not holding high hopes either).

• Like 4

2 hours ago, RedDevil757 said:

What's with all the Xbox stuff? Nothing to do with my dislike of Jim Ryan

Reading your comments, you really come across like you just want to argue with people. Not just me but others.

Let's just leave it as I and others on here don't like him and you do. Simple. If not then I think a mod should lock this thread as arguing over stupid crap just isn't worth it

Is that so.

On 9/27/2023 at 10:58 PM, RedDevil757 said:

I hope it's true. The brand has gone to shit since he took control. I think the damage is already done though. My main is series X and I never thought I'd say that lol

On 9/27/2023 at 11:01 PM, Infected Elite said:

i have a series x. help me find reasons to play it lol. 

On 9/27/2023 at 11:49 PM, RedDevil757 said:

I say the same thing but for the PS5

On 9/28/2023 at 9:10 AM, RedDevil757 said:

Just to be clear. I used my comment to highlight how Jim Ryan had ruined PlayStation for me and pushed me away. Not to be an Xbox fanboy gloating. I play on all systems. I have no loyalty to one over the other.

My series X has become my main for many reasons as I've said before. As of right now it's just better for me. That doesn't mean that I dislike PlayStation as a whole. I still love the PS3 and the early PS4 stuff. I play my PS1 probably more than any other console I own.

I hope now that he's gone. We can get more older stuff back on PlayStation. It's ironic that this month more PS1 games were added to Xbox (via antstream) than on the actual PlayStation brand itself. I'd love to see the social side of gaming back that the PS4 had. As of now gaming on PlayStation feels very lonely and isolated. I like seeing what my friends are upto when I sign in.

Out of a sense of bonhomie I won't press the matter, and I hope you are simply just very passionate. Next time please don't make petty comments in my direction as you did after I've let you go, as that is only going to cause me to respond. I'm sure we both ultimately wish Jim Ryan a happy retirement. As you've had your last word, I've now had mine.

1 minute ago, matigrosso91 said:

Just wanna add that GaaS, the apparent flagship of this new era of PlayStation or at least one of their main goals now... are dying. Even Epic just fired 900 employees because Fortnite is not making the same amount of money anymore; SEGA shut down Hyenas even before it came out, and so on. There's a lot of examples. 

I'm not interested in argue anymore, but is another example of a bad decision which probably will have consequences. And that's why i'm hoping a new, fresh air (although i admit i'm not holding high hopes either).

Jim Ryan himself has said to shareholders that single player games are still the cornerstone of PlayStation. When the time comes and those games have all released, and if they're failures, then make a thread about the matter. As it is, you're just speculating. Wrongly considering stuff like Genshin Impact exists that exposes your remark as wrong.

Calm down. No need to take everything so seriously. Yes, we all hope for good things in the future. Hopefully someone with the good taste to greenlight a Wild Arms reboot.

1 hour ago, matigrosso91 said:

I won't say there dying some are but other ones like azur lane, blue archive, genshin impact, blade and soul, final fantasy 15 and honkai: star rail are doing pretty well. honkai: star rail in particular got over 20 million downloads ahead of the playstation launch.

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2023/04/honkai-star-rail-surpasses-20-million-downloads-ahead-of-ps5-ps4-launch

Anyway as gaas go it doesn't change anything thing for me I'll just judge them the same way  i do with any other game to see if i want to play them or not. single player, multiplayer or gaas doesn't matter all i care about is if the game is fun to play or not.  i just hope the new ceo makes getting rid of censorship and getting a ps3 and vita emulator working a priority.

Edited by fenrir54565
  • Like 1

A lot of Jim Ryan's choices were questionable, but there were some good moves. Jim did backpedal from closing the PS3/PSP/Vita stores. It's nice, but I'd say the PS community was more responsible for it than him. If not for the backlash, Jim would probably have stood on his original decision. At least he listened. Then some PSP games showed up on console. I wish him a happy retirement.

When Totoki exits... what about Mark Cerny? I think he'd be a good choice as the new SIE CEO. He's been a game designer/consultant, and also responsible for designing PS4 and PS5. Hopefully they think of him when looking for a successor. He would probably care about PS's history and legacy, since some games he's worked on are in past PS generations. If not the CEO, then let him call some of the shots. A CEO should listen to someone like Mark.

I'd gladly take a native PS3 emulator for PS5. I don't know about PS4, but PS5 should be able to handle this. Even if the PS3 titles have to be for PS5 only... please do it.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Jerry_Appleby said:

but for me the biggest topic of discussion will be them keeping the PS3 and Vita stores running indefinitely!

Is this even up for discussion again? They tried this back in 2021 and there was such a large backlash that they decided to reverse the decision within a month of announcing it. I had really hoped that we put that idea to bed indefinitely last time around but I guess with these big business corporations you just never know. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dieselmanchild said:

Is this even up for discussion again? They tried this back in 2021 and there was such a large backlash that they decided to reverse the decision within a month of announcing it. I had really hoped that we put that idea to bed indefinitely last time around but I guess with these big business corporations you just never know. 

Microsoft has recently revealed their plans to shut down the Xbox 360 store next year. Sony might follow suit, as there hasn't been any significant outcry against such a move.