server closure completions

MonaSaxPayne

I’ve actually never hunted a game that was going offline, but I’d say my two biggest regrets in ignoring these things is 1) I wish I’d done Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe online trophies while I could have and 2) I wish I’d bought Doom Classic Complete before it was delisted. 

Because of these two things I’ll never have 100% series complete on two of my favorite series :( 

Ooooh! Sorry if this comes off as a little self-advertisement-y, but I've got a personal trophy check list that tracks this kind of thing explicitly:

A TL;DR of the original post though, these were that weren't completed by chance and completed solely because of a shutdown announcement:

100%/Platinum:

• Hardware: Rivals
  • Laser League
  • Assassin's Creed Revelations DLC
  • Disc Jam
  • Everybody's Golf (2017)
  • The Last of Us DLC (PS3)
  • Rumbleverse
  • Rocket Arena

Only the Multiplayer portion Completed:

• The Last of Us (PS3)
  • Uncharted 2
  • Freedom Wars
  • Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
  • Assassin's Creed III
  • Super Sonic Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battle Cars
  • Batman Arkham Origins (But the servers shutdown 7 years later than they said)
  • Mirror's Edge Catalyst
  • F1 Race Stars

Edited by Breakingthegreen
  • Like 1

Yeah it can be quite stressful but it can also be quite fun seeing so many people rush towards the game that's closing.

I have done quite a few of those:

1. Motorstorm Pacific Rift

2. LittleBigPlanet Karting

3. Batman Arkham Origins (Stayed open)

4. RUSE (Stayed open)

5. Shaun White Skateboarding

6. Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe

7. CounterSpy

8. Starhawk

9. Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale

10. Twisted Metal

11. Middle-earth Shadow of Mordor (Got patched to be achievable)

12. Battlefield Hardline (Only a part of the online got shut down)

13. Max Payne 3

14. Laser League

15. Jump Force (Got patched to be achievable)

16. Killzone Shadowfall

17. Assassin's Creed 3

18. Onrush

19 Command & Conquer Red Alert 3

20. Mercenaries 2

21. Medal of Honor Warfighter

22. Killzone Mercenary

23. Dreadnought

24. Mirror's Edge Catalyst

25. Rocket League (Only a part of the online got shut down)

• Like 2

Here’s Mine
Completed (plat or 100%)

BC1 and 2 
Syndicate
Crysis 3
Dreadnought
Multiversus

Driver SF (still open)
Future Soldier (Still Open)
AC3 (Still open)
 Dante’s inferno (St Lucia DLC)
Guns Up 
Super Bomberman R Online

Online Portion only
Mirrors Edge Catalyst
F1 2011
Splinter cell: Blacklist (still open)

Incomplete
LBP Karting 
Friday The 13th
MC:LA
OG Burnout Paradise
BO3 (PS3)

Edited by Ghost-Zeus514
Additional titles
  • Like 2

Ooh! I feel like this thread was meant for me seeing as shut downs are basically the only thing I've done for a few years now. I don't always go for 100% so some of these I just considered finished after the platinum trophy.

Completed:

Battlefield 1943
Killzone 3

Medal of Honor 2010

Motorstorm Apocalypse

Grand Theft Auto V (PS3)

Twisted Metal (PS3)
Battlefield Bad Company 2

Driveclub

Battleborn

Hyper Scape

Operation 7 Showdown

Hardware Rivals

Laser League

Genesis

Original Fall Guys Stack

Spellbreak

Heavy Metal Machines

EVE Valkyrie

Bless Unleashed

Babylon's Fall

Rumbleverse

Dreadnought

Guns Up!

Milkchoco

Auto Chess

Knockout City

Lemnis Gate

Deathverse Let It Die

Side Bullet

Jump Force (patched to be achievable)

Overwatch (it just stayed the same list)

I'd love to include Gundam Evolution on this list however I missed the shut down by one single match.

Multiplayer Component Only:

Mad Max

Disintegration (patched to be achievable)

LittleBigPlanet

Onrush

NASCAR Heat 2
NASCAR Heat 3

Need For Speed Undercover

Need For Speed Shift 2 (I did this with the free trial)

Max Payne 3

Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain (PS3)

Splinter Cell Blacklist

Killzone Shadow Fall

Assassin's Creed III

Driver San Francisco

Ghost Recon Future Soldier

Assassin's Creed Revelations

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood

DIRT 4

Command & Conquer Red Alert 3

Mercenaries 2 World in Flames

Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battle Cars

Medal of Honor Warfighter

Syndicate

Crysis 3

Mirror's Edge Catalyst

Battlefield Bad Company

Edit: Forgot mirror's edge

Edited by LGamerr
  • Like 1

The dreaded server shutdowns. To be fair as stressful as it can be trying to complete them under a deadline, it’s also shifted some games off the backlog that had been sitting there forever, so it’s also a good thing sometimes as it gives you the kick up the arse to do it. I’ve included both games I’ve plat (bold) and ones where I’ve just completed the online portion.

Babylon’s Fall

Dantes Inferno

Driveclub

Driveclub Bikes

Driver: San Francisco 

Killzone: Shadowfall

Killzone: Mercenary

Mad Max

Max Payne 3

Medal of Honor

Medal of Honor: Warfighter

Mercenaries 2: World in Flames

Mirrors Edge: Catalyst

Onrush

RIGS: Mechanised Combat League

Rumbleverse

Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Future Soldier

Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell: Blacklist

• Like 1

Hmm, trying to remember which were done after the shutdown announcement..

Completion

Animal Super Squad (PS4)

Dante's Inferno (PS3)

Driver: San Francisco (PS3 - Came back online)

Gran Turismo Sport (PS4)

Need for Speed: Undercover (PS3)

Onrush (PS4)

Online Only

DiRT Rally (PS4 - Still online)

DiRT 4 (PS4 - Still online)

Gran Turismo 5 (PS3)

Killzone 3 (PS3)

Mirror's Edge Catalyst (PS4)

Need for Speed: Shift (PS3)

Saints Row: The Third (PS3)

Saints Row IV (PS3)

Splinter Cell: Blacklist (PS3)

WipEout HD (PS3)

Done before the announcement/sudden shutdown..

Disc Jam (PS4 - Complete)

DriveClub (PS4 - Complete)

DriveClub Bikes (PS4 - Complete)

F1 2014 (PS3 - Complete)

F1 2019 (PS4 - Online only)

F1 Race Stars (PS3 - Online only)

LittleBigPlanet (PS3 - Online only)

Project CARS (PS4 - Complete)

Rocket League (PS4 - Complete)

Stealth Inc 2: A Game of Clones (PS4 - Online only)

Failed and unobtainable

KIllzone 2 (PS3)

• Like 1

I do a pretty good job of doing games when I get them nowadays, so it has only really been PS3 games that this was an issue for

Ones I got during the announcement period:

-Killzone 2: This was a brutal grind as it made you compete for limited slots each week for a leaderboard-related trophy. The scores towards the end of it were insane, I remember pumping in about 40 hours and had to beg some of my friends to sit in as boosting partners for me.

-Killzone 3: Not even close to 2 and was quite simple to just grind with a partner in.

-Wipeout HD: Pretty simple as you just needed to get everyone together for a quick race.

-Uncharted 3: I had started cleaning this up before they announced it, but was at the tail end of my treasure grind when they announced it. Would have been pretty brutal to have that time limit looming over my head.

Ones I missed:

-Resistance 2: I never knew it was shutting down. Information on server shutdowns wasn't as visible as it is nowadays unless you were actively following a studio. I would have grinded this out if I had known. Will probably haunt me for the rest of my life...

• Like 1

I myself never go for games just because they will be unlisted/put offline etc. I just chose to skip those and avoid the hassle and stress to rush everything until it

s too late. If by any chance there is a game that falls in this category and I DO want ot play it, I just play it on a guest/offline account and just don't care for the trophies.

All that being said, I do have a game that falls in this category as of right now, and that would be Onrush, but it's kind of an exception, because I started playing this game for fun way before the servers shutdown announcement. I just happened to be doing the cleanup for it right at the time the closure announcement was made, by the time I already had every trophy that was relying on online anyway, so I just finished the grind for the platinum.

One more game that maybe will qualify for this list is Gran Turismo Sport, but I got the platinum for that a good while back.

I try to keep my list as "completionable" as possible so if I can help it I avoid games that have a limited time on earning trophies.

The only one I can really think of is Rayman Legends on PlayStation 3. Servers for this game were supposed to close in October 2022, but they remained online for a good few months after the stated closure date, allowing me to obtain the last remaining online trophy in December of that year. Just in time, too, because they eventually did close, then were suddenly opened again, but in a state that made reaching Awesomeness 11 basically impossible.

I tried to do ModNation Racers, but fell woefully short of the 500,000 XP I needed for a trophy, and PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale is one I wanted to do, but I couldn't play the game at all due to a series of overlapping unfortunate circumstances.

Edited by blue_blur_98
  • Like 1

I have done a decent amount before shutdowns were announced. As far as hunting after the announcement I have done the following.

Completions:

• Driveclub VR
  • Frozen Synapse Prime
  • Killzone 3 Multiplayer
  • Killzone Shadow Fall Intercept
  • Laser League
  • LittleBigPlanet Karting
  • MultiVersus
  • Spellbreak
  • The Last of Us
  • Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
  • Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Online Done:

• Driveclub
  • Driveclub Bikes
  • Hustle Kings x2 (PS3 and Vita)
  • Killzone 3
  • Killzone Shadow Fall
  • NBA Jam: On Fire Edition
  • WipEout 2048
  • WipEout HD

I also did a bunch of Vita games when messaging was closing in fear of invites no longer working since they go through the messaging app. But they still work, so they don't count I guess. And I did Assassins Creed 3 but it's servers came back.

Edited by MrHealthy
  • Like 1

I have a few basic examples of this:

• Driver: San Francisco (although I think the servers for this game are back now)
  • AC: Brotherhood
  • Mirror's Edge: Catalyst

However my story for the FIFA 10 DLC is much more interesting, because to this day I think it may be the only example of a game whose servers were restored because of an obscure thread posted on a trophy site complaining about the servers going down without warning.  Long story short, the servers for FIFA 10 were scheduled to go down in December 2011, but the online shop, which was needed to play the UT DLC, went down without warning in May or June and remained so for several months.  The usual thread was posted on PS3T complaining about this, a few people emailed EA in vain, and the general sentiment was that we were likely fucked - even back then we knew how bad EA were for this kind of thing, FIFA 11 had already been out for a year, FIFA 12 was coming out soon, and the FIFA 10 store had been down for months without any communication from their end...  all but the most hopelessly optimistic would have resigned themselves to defeat. 

But then a user with only a handful of posts appeared claiming he worked at EA, that he had contacts at Sony, often communicated with other employees from different departments, and that he'd pass on the complaints to the relevant authority.  He came back a few days later and gave a fairly precise date for when the shop would be back online.  If I saw such claims today, I'd treat them with great suspicion, but I remember trusting this guy for whatever reason, and sure enough the shop came back online when he said it would in late September, which gave us a 2-3 month window to get the DLC done before the servers went offline definitively.  The same guy actually helped me get the most problematic trophy of the DLC by lending me his team too - a true unsung hero.

This is all fine and well, but to this day 12 years on, my account is a 100% completion account (some cleanup notwithstanding).  I've had a bunch of other close calls on unobtainable trophies, so I think it just goes to show the amount of luck needed to keep an account like this for so long...

1 hour ago, sepheroithisgod said:

-Resistance 2: I never knew it was shutting down. Information on server shutdowns wasn't as visible as it is nowadays unless you were actively following a studio. I would have grinded this out if I had known. Will probably haunt me for the rest of my life...

Looking at your list, this is so unfortunate (alongside the Burn Zombie Burn BS which is even more unfortunate IMO).  Just a case in point for what I was saying above, I feel like I've been very lucky over the years to not be saddled with any unobtainables, while so many people lose 100% due to factors out of their control...

Edited by WakeUpHP
  • Like 4

Resistance 2: Never thought I would do this but the server shutdown announcement changed my mind. It was a PITA but I had a couple of good friends keeping me company.

Spartacus Legends: Didn't know about the game or the show it was based on. Shutdown announcement made me aware of it and kind of became interested. Got into the Top 20 fastest achievers because of the the XP multiplier patched in for the last month or so.

PlayStation All-Star Battle Royale (Vita): I finished the online trophies very quickly by self-boosting with my PS3s.

DriveClub: I only had the PS+ version, which wasn't the full game (and somehow the Bikes DLC), but I wasn't going to play that. I went and got the whole thing before the shutdown. Boosted the Bikes online trophies with others and the base game with an alt.

• Like 1

Well, considering I have been doing games that will shutdown soon in a row since August 2022 until now, and it hasn't stopped because I need to do Armored Core V: Verdict Day and Hunt: Showdown, it would take me so long to name them all, with previous years games too. (Might add the list later actually.)

5 hours ago, MonaSaxPayne said:

I must admit that playing games like this is very stressful for me lol

I agree, I hate it. It's the worst thing about this hobby along with delistings and bugged unobtainable trophies. Basically any trophies or games you can't obtain for things outside of your control and stress of server shutdowns and delistings.

Wow! After writing the list I realize that I anticipated a lot of shutdowns! :D 

It's only since 2022 where I have been chasing shutdown after shutdown. Due to this, my plan is to play all the games with online trophies I want to play, to keep anticipating the shutdowns and save myself from that stress and being forced to play them (or even miss out on them!), rather than whatever I want. This is going to be the next 3 or 4 years for me, maybe 5 if newer games get shutdown too, like Rumbleverse (6 months from release), Gundam Evolution (barely a year from release), etc.

Here's my list: 

Batman Arkham Origins

Killzone 2

Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale PS3

The Last of Us PS3 (At the time, I started playing multiplayer on ps4 with a friend for fun, and liked it so much that I started the ps3 version right after it. When I was almost done, the shutdown was announced for this and Uncharted 2 and 3. I already had a session planned for Uncharted 2 too, thankfully, and completed U3 with more than a week to spare)

Uncharted 2 PS3

Uncharted 3 PS3

Mad Max (Absolutely loved this game)

Middle-Earth Shadow of Mordor GOTY Edition (was later patched to be achievable offline)

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes PS4 (A technicality. Even if doesn't have online trophies I did it when they announced the leaderboards and other online features would shutdown. Also did MGSV: The Phantom Pain PS4 just in case.)

Strikers Edge

Spellbreak

Disc Jam

Hyperbrawl Tournament

Onrush

Animal Super Squad

Override Mech City Brawl

Super Sonic Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battle Cars

Medal of Honor Warfighter

Jump Force (later patched to be offline)

Medal of Honor

Rumbleverse PS4 and PS5

Dreadnought PS4 and PS4 NA stack

Knockout City PS4 and PS5

Milkchoco

MultiVersus PS4 and PS5

Lemnis Gate (Only PS4 because the PS5 trophies are glitched and I don't think you can complete 2 lists. Can't do PS4 EU and PS4 NA for example)

Border Break (my first japanese only game and where my journey of learning Japanese started :) , in July 2023)

Driver San Francisco (technically? I completed it when the miracle of servers getting revived happened. Maybe fits better in the list below)

Gundam Evolution PS4 and PS5

Rocket League

Mirror's Edge Catalyst

Rocket Arena

Oh, and I would have done Deathverse: Let It Die but I was already busy with Knockout City and Multiversus and couldn't finish all 3. Plus, after a certain date in April a mode and its trophies were not obtainable for new players... 

Also Killzone Mercenary if I had a damn Vita, Killzone Shadow Fall if the shutdown notice wasn't 12 measly days, and actually Killzone 3 too. Had to pick 2 or 3 and I did 2.

Side Bullet as well. It was ridiculously delisted after 3 weeks of release and I didn't add it to libray in time. Hyper Scape is another one I didn't add to library in time.

Back in late 2022 I also had to unfortunately skip Diver San Francisco (and Ghost Recon Future Soldier). I rushed to buy it and did the online trophies in 3 days when the servers came back magically. It seems Future Soldier is still up, but has gone down and came back, so it's not really trustworthy to do it. I kinda moved on from that one, but I could still do it now. From the same batch of shutdowns, Rayman Legends PS3.

I will miss out on The Crew next year beacuse it's too risky. It can get glitched and the only way to fix it is being lucky that Ubisoft support resets your stats, and they can take up to 2 years to finally listen to you and do it. 

Bunch of Ubisoft games lol.

Edited by tony_snake_24
  • Like 1

Just off the top of my head. I'm certain I have many more...

Bike Club

Dante's Inferno

Disc Jam

Drawn To Kill

Drive Club

Hardware Rivals

Killstreak

Killzone 3

Knockout City

Splinter Cell Blacklist

Laser league

Multi-Versus

Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale

Rocket Arena

Rocket League

Uncharted 2

Edited by TheDarkKratos
  • Like 1

Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (PS3)

100% Obtained.

I remember boosting the one online trophy with a friend, and we had so many connection issues it was crazy. So thankful I decided to get that out of the way when I did and not procrastinate. IIRC, I got the trophy before the shutdown announcement, but was definitely paranoid about it since it was such an old game.

Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell: Blacklist (PS3)

Online Completed.

I’m actually pretty close to my Platinum in this. Just the harder difficulties and the mastery for the different styles are left. I’d managed to complete the entire online portion just in time before everything went down.

Mirror’s Edge Catalyst (PS4)

Online Completed.

I’m not exactly close to my Platinum on this one yet. However, I’m extremely glad that I finished the online trophies. It’s such a fun experience, and I would love to eventually own the Platinum.

Edited by SmileSlice
Added games.
  • Like 2

The first game I’d played due to an impending shutdown was Battlefield Hardline. My friend alerted me to the trophy “Test Your Mettle” becoming unobtainable. Though, I didn’t personally start paying attention to the shutdown thread until later that following year.

Since then it’s become a bit addictive. I’m not too crazy with it as I’m mostly selective with what I play. I don’t go out of my way to purchase all the games shutting down. I’ll try it out if I happen to own it, if I like the look of the game and believe I can finish it in time. I’ve only had issues meeting the deadline with Friday the 13: The Game, but I think a lot of trophy hunters were impacted.

These however are my successfully completed games with officially announced shutdowns:

Battlefield Hardline

Mad Max
Operation 7 Showdown

Hyper Scape

Spellbreak 

Killzone Mercenary

Onrush

Rumbleverse

Knockout City

Deathverse: Let It Die

Gundam Evolution 

Rocket Arena

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Mina said:

The first game I’d played due to an impending shutdown was Battlefield Hardline. My friend alerted me to the trophy “Test Your Mettle” becoming unobtainable.

this is the only game on my list where the 100% is unattainable to me

my friend @PrinceOfPeace told me to come play the competitive mode with him before the servers closed but I was never interested in playing the dlcs for this game (even tho I got all of them free from EA) because I was NEVER interested in getting 10k online kills with each of the 4 operator classes

hats off to anyone who slogged through this 

13 hours ago, MonaSaxPayne said:

I was NEVER interested in getting 10k online kills with each of the 4 operator classes

hats off to anyone who slogged through this 

It’s very easily boosted, but it’s extremely boring and not worth your time if you can’t achieve the 100% anyway.