Most Recent Platinum

Muff

Platinum #131: Severed 

Difficulty: 4/10 

Enjoyment: 9.5/10 

A+ game, I can’t recommend it enough. Drinkbox knocked it out of the park with this one. Excellent hack and slash gameplay with a pretty good learning curve, although there’s one fight towards the end that kind of takes it to the extreme. Strangely enough the story kind of reminds me of Gris. It’s a tale about learning to move on.

• Like 3

Two games related to nightmares.

Platinum 18: Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince. Overall an enjoyable game. The environments are great and I liked the puzzles and platforming. The combat unfortunately took a massive step back though because of its repetitive nature.

Platinum 19: Little Nightmares II. Very good game, though unfortunately the marketing campaign spoiled half of it. Still, nice story, environments and for the most part gameplay. Combat is the weak point here as well.

• Like 3

L394f76.png

Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout

Enjoyment: 7/10, but 10/10 without Infallible

Difficulty: 10/10

My favorite multiplayer game is years brought me nearly 150 hours of pure enjoyment, which was almost completely destroyed by Infallible.

Pros:

-Cutesy, goofy art-styles are always adorable

-Floaty and physics-based gameplay is really fun and adds a sense of randomness to every match. This is great for playing casually, but isn't good for a trophy like Infallible.

-I'd say roughly 60% of the maps are extremely enjoyable to play through, but the remaining 40% maps are either poorly designed or bluntly bad.

-Super fun to play with a group of people, but the servers are still relatively unstable and kick groups out nearly constantly.

-All trophies, except Infallible, come naturally and are relatively straightforward.

Cons: Take a guess where this is going

-Infallible. I mean, obviously. The trophy that sparked a million arguments is, at least to me, inarguably bullshit and this is why: This trophy doesn't fit with the type of gameplay that the game has. Take a game like Super Meat Boy. There's a trophy, apparently, for beating a bunch of stages without dying in a row or doing a bunch of stages without even jumping. While stupidly hard, these trophies make sense for this game because the game at its core is a brutally difficult, very precise platformer. Infallible doesn't fit in with the aroma of Fall Guys. While there is obviously is a rally around the idea of winning and beating everyone, due to the floppy platforming at the core gameplay and the now-randomness of the match-randomizing stuff, winning 5 in a row isn't achievable without some basic luck; not even adding the issues with team games. A trophy like winning 20 games overall is fine because that will come eventually if you're good enough and lucky, but winning 5 in a row is contrary to the spirit of the RNG of the game, not to mention the spirit of fun in general. It's a trophy that doesn't fit in an otherwise incredibly fun game to play. I don't at all mind trophies that are difficult in a general sense, but games like this and Stardew Valley don't need a stupidly difficult trophy because the rest of the game isn't equally like this.

-Also, the feeling of getting Infallible in the moment was taken away from me. I had a 4 win streak, disconnected, and then won the next game. The trophy didn't pop, so I had to contact the Dev team and they were nice enough to pop it for me. So it was a hollow victory, but I'm so glad it's out of my life.

TL;DR: One of my favorite games of the last few years, nearly ruined by one trophy.

Edited by ChunkyKong64