What are your view on completion rate?

swainey97

I have always used trophies to help me maintain focus on games. Before their invention I would set arbitrary goals for "completion" and offer go back to games because I didn't feel they were done. In this regard completion percentage is important to me, but not if it means slogging through something I'm not enjoying. That said there is a little voice in my head that says get every trophy and thus I grind out GTAV mp or I burn out a PS3 on My Kung Fu is Strongest.

If it wasn't for completion percentage, I probably wouldn't have stuck with many of my platinum's. It does encourage me to explore all the little bits and pieces of a game.

That being said, if I find out that a game has a brutally long grind in mp, or luck based trophy (damn you, hot shots golf), then I am less inclined to play those games. 

I also wish that for games which cannot possibly be platinum'ed (like Army of Two, because of the multi-player being taken down), that you could request the game to be taken off your profile. 

I'm a completionist myself, but I don't care a lot for 100% completion rate (mostly cuz of DLCs).

What I DO care though nowadays, is getting as little unearned plat trophies as possible. Earned quite a backlog back when I didn't care about trophies at all, and some of them aren't necessarily easy. :S

Still, a nice challenge is always welcomed as long as the game is great. xD

Edited by Lord_of_Ra

I really want to increase my completion rate. It's very low due to the games that were accidentally played on my account. Now if I want to increase my completion rate, i'm going to have to suck it up and play the games that were accidentally triggered. I wish it was like 50% or higher but it's going to take me months. This makes me not even want to get any more new games, which kind of kills the experience. 

Completion rate is very important to me, as I'm a perfectionist. I don't really do it so that I can have other people look at my profile and say "good job"; it is, much like gaming, something I do for myself and myself alone. :)

I'm the same way......

I care about my completion rate for I am a completionist!

I feel the same way.  I have always been a completionist going back before Sony and Microsoft even made video games.  I actually dislike how this site does completion rate because it counts DLC I don't own.  I prefer how TT does it, and over there I'm always over 99% as I complete what I have to play.  I do NOT buy DLC just to get my completion rate up, which is why I'm only at 90-92% here.  I get some, if it interests me, but I feel like counting DLC I don't own is pointless.  This site might as well count every game that exists for PS3, PS4 and Vita as part of my completion rate, cause I technically I haven't completed all of them either.

• Like 1

I would love to have a 100% profile but I can't resist starting new games all the time and I'm not using a different profile just because of completion - I like having a list of all games under one PSN. If I feel like playing a new game, I'll play a new game and if I feel like going back to my backlog and completing something, I'll do that - unfortunately the games come out at a faster rate than I can revisit older ones, so my completion % goes up and down all the time, I don't see myself getting higher than 70% any soon.

Edited by Guimace

• 3 weeks later...

i went back to red dead redemption just to improve my completion rate. i hated the game the first time i played it, but when i went back to it last summer, i completely fell in love with it and nearly got 100% of trophies. if not for psnprofiles and the stats it tracks, i wouldn't have played it again.

My view is that i don't want a low rate but at the same time it doesn't matter because no one except for you really cares about the completion rate of digital trophies you get on a digital profile. Also in 25 years we don't know what will happen to the gaming industry, Sony could back out of gaming, and everyone's profiles would be wiped.

yes i did untill recently when PSNP had been having some problems and the site being down multiple times 

im autistic and i need order or organisation to how i play games and this site helps me do that immensely with the trophy advisor

but now im makeing my own formula on how to maintain how i play games ,its slowly coming together

but it dawned on me that all this time keeping a high completion % ,if the site dose go down lol completion rate wont mean a thing so with this in mind im trying to let it go.

completion rate only means soming to a site that adds it to the profile ,and if im right this is the only site that dose that

no disrespect to sly ,i think and have always thought he dose an awesome job on maintaining  PSNP but i cant always rely on PSNP being there all the time so im makeing my own way of how and what to play or il just give up playing Play station altogether ,and trust me i came close last week 

• Like 2

Don't really pay attention to it, I do prefer to have an above average completion rating. But for me enjoying the game is far more important than getting a 100% completion rating or platinum. Though I will go for 100%/Plat if I like the game

With this account my aim is to finish games I start and hopefully keep an 80%ish completion rate.

That being said I won't buy DLC purely for completion for games I don't like and I know very well that online/multiplayer trophies that I can't be bothered to grind/boost will bring my completion rate down.

As long as I complete everything I can though, I'll be happy.

I go for completion % to compete with a friend. He has played less games than me and only has 60 or so trophies he has yet to unlock. However, I have maybe 1800 more trophies and my completion is only marginally better as I have 240ish trophies yet to unlock. My motivation is to stay above him.

The completion rate to me means a person is dedicated to achieving it. Since I do want to raise mine up with hard work and dedication I'll get there. I only want to achieve it with games that are good and not afraid doing the difficult ones such as Persona 4 Arena, Injustice, Warhawk, Street Fighter IV and so on. It's a very hard challenge with my backlog currently but I'm happy.

I'm trying to increase it, it's encouraged me to go back and play older games and get more value out of them.  It's not the be all and end all for me though.  It leans towards my collecting and completionism type urges, mainly it's been fun hitting the back catalog and playing some stuff I've not touched for age.   E.g right now I'm finally finishing off Assassins Creed III and game that got lost by the wayside a while back.

It's nice to increase it but I know 100% isn't possible due to some of the games on my list so it's not a live or die thing for me.

Gone from 35% to nearly 60% since I started up trophy hunting properly which I'm kind of proud of.