National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

What a weak bullshit call.  You let both teams grab all day.  Then on a 3rd down with 2min left in the game, let’s throw the flag now??  Kiss my ass.  Fucking trash ending to a great game. 

Congrats to the Chiefs though.  They deserved it.  Reid gutted Gannon here.  Made him look foolish and was 2 steps ahead of him all game.  Hurts carried the team and did all he could, but the defense couldn’t get pressure at all. 

Always liked Andy when he was here, so if we lose to anybody, happy to see him get another one. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Zio_Sam87 said:

I'm going the other way guys... Don't like games where all drive is a score. Niners-Cowboys divisional round was much better. And I definitely don't like ichy wiffy late calls to end a game like that. Let them play.

The Niners only TD drive of that game was aided after a 3rd down sack where George Kittle did his best WWE theatrics and sold a defensive holding.  Gave the yardage and fresh set of downs, it happens.

Everyone was in disbelief when the ref didn’t throw a flag in a defensive PI situation at the end of the game that helped decide the Saints/Rams NFC championship a few years back.  Now here we come full circle where there was obvious defensive holding (which the Eagles’ Bradberry even admitted) and folks want the officials to not call it.   

I think much of the outage was gaslit by Greg Olsen.  Pretty much everywhere else I’ve come across, acknowledges it was an obvious penalty.  

I wish the NFL refs would take the same tactic as NHL officials, where in a close game, they will not call anything unless someone gets decapitated. Was it a penalty by the rule book’s definition? Yes. But does it called like that every time it occurs? No fricking way! 
  By making that call at that point of the game, you as a ref just decided the outcome. I am sure if you went back to the tape, and watched every play of the game, that ref could’ve made that call at least half a dozen times in the game, but he chose not to. But then he suddenly decides to throw the flag on the key down to determine the championship. 

Congrats to Chiefs. Good game by Philly. And I hope Patrick’s brother rots away from gonorrhea.

1 hour ago, djb5f said:

Everyone was in disbelief when the ref didn’t throw a flag in a defensive PI situation at the end of the game that helped decide the Saints/Rams NFC championship a few years back.  Now here we come full circle where there was obvious defensive holding (which the Eagles’ Bradberry even admitted) and folks want the officials to not call it.   

I think much of the outage was gaslit by Greg Olsen.  Pretty much everywhere else I’ve come across, acknowledges it was an obvious penalty.  

When it first happened, I disagreed with Olsen.  Then I saw the replay from a couple different angles and didn't see any obvious hold.  I did see him get turned a little, but that's PI, not holding.  And in PI, you have to take into account where the ball is, and it was thrown 10+ yards down field, so therefore uncatchable.  Personally, I've seen far more egregious holds go uncalled at the end of the game, like the one on Crabtree in the Niners/Ravens SB.  Jimmy Smith literally bear-hugged Crabtree and nearly tackled him before the ball got there, and it wasn't called.  So when I saw this one on replay 30-40 times, it was clear to me that it was a judgement call, but I'd call it ticky tack.  Was there a jersey grab?  Yes, a momentary and slight one, but grabbing on its own is never called as long as his movement isn't hindered.  So was there a tug on the jersey that hindered his movement?  Perhaps, but it's incredibly hard to see, even in slow motion.  Plus it happened coming out of his turn, not moving upfield, and the ball was thrown 8 yards deep in the endzone, and this happened 10-15 yards away.  My point is that while it could be called a penalty, I don't think calling it obvious is fair, and I don't think this one being called is consistent with how the rest of the game was officiated.  My biggest problem with the refball this year wasn't so much how they called things, but the inconsistency in how they called them.  They let them play all game, yet then this was the flag they threw?  Not a great way to end any ball game imo, let alone a SB.  Oh, and as for Bradberry admitting it, sure, what else is he gonna say?  The NFL lays down bigger fines for disagreeing with refs than they do assaulting team doctors on the field trying to get to injured players (looking at you Walker and Wyatt).

Again, I had no horse in this race, didn't care who won, and just wanted to watch a good, clean game.  Also not disputing there was a slight tug.  Just not enough there in my mind to basically decide the SB.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

I wish the NFL refs would take the same tactic as NHL officials, where in a close game, they will not call anything unless someone gets decapitated. Was it a penalty by the rule book’s definition? Yes. But does it called like that every time it occurs? No fricking way! 

As a diehard NHL fan (and a relatively lukewarm NFL fan these days), there's a huge problem with this notion:  When the players know this is the case, they start pushing that as far as it will go.  And so the referees in their attempt to "not decide the game" actually influence the game a fair amount because the players recognise the much higher standard for a penalty call.

And like others have said, even the DB said it was a penalty.  And since a DB admitting he interfered on a pass play is about as common as an honest politician or an ethical lawyer, we should applaud him for dispersing with the bullcrap and accept that things were adjudicated properly.

And if there were Football Gods who believed in Justice and Karma and all that good stuff and the flag wasn't thrown?  Either Philadelphia would have doinked a game-tying FG attempt off the upright, or some Chiefs defensive lineman would have decapitated Jalen Hurts trying to make a play to tie/win the game.

12 hours ago, djb5f said:

The Niners only TD drive of that game was aided after a 3rd down sack where George Kittle did his best WWE theatrics and sold a defensive holding.  Gave the yardage and fresh set of downs, it happens.

Well, I'm not saying it wasn't a penalty by rule, I'm saying it wasn't flagged the entire game, and I'm saying that ball wasn't catchable even if they retry 100 times without the DB. I think the rule is wrong: if the ball is 10-15 yards away and you have no chance to catch it, can't be a foul. Or at least, flag it every single time.

• Like 1

Daniel Jones has the advantage of timing on his side.  He's a free agent because the previous regime didn't pick up his 5th year option, he had by far the best season of his career now, plus the Giants have two guys they'd like to hit with a franchise tag.  Jones may as well hold out for a huge deal because this will be his only chance and he's got a few weeks to squeeze the Giants before tag selections have to be finalized.

He's not worth it, and that franchise is about to crash back to earth next season (and Jones along with it), but more power to him if he can bamboozle the Giants into giving it to him.

It's about time i end up here.

I am no bandwagon. I've been a Kansas City Chiefs fan since i could hold a tv controller. Alex Smith was the quarterback when i was born. My dad was a fan since like, 1997. So i've seen bad times with the team. Super bowl 53 was just sad. We were so close, but Tom Brady yet again got his, like, millionth super bowl visit. It was a boring super bowl anyways.

I mean, come on! The first three quarters was nothing! 

Super bowl 54 comes, and we're down by 10 points. The '9ers celebrate too soon, Kelce says there's blood in the water, and then suddenly we beat them 31 - 20.

A year later, we get into the super bowl again, and this time we're facing Tom Brady, now the quarterback for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. We got bombarded with far fetched penalties. In reality, the referees beat us in that game, not Tampa Bay. Super Bowl 56 comes, and in this season, a new problem arises: The Cincinnati Bengals. We lost once. We thought that didn't mean much. Mahomes was a little iffy this year. We'd beat them next year, we thought.

Then they went ahead and made it to the AFC Championship. And they knocked us down again. By a whopping 3 points. A field goal, and we would've had a chance to make it. Right after we barely beat the Buffalo Bills, they finished the job.

Which then only made more the difference this year, when after 2 seasons, we landed on top again. We finally declared that we weren't Burrowhead. That Travis was the better of the two kelce brothers.

Okay, maybe that last bit doesn't matter much, but oh well.

I do have to say though, at the end of the game, even as a chiefs fan, that call was kind of trash.

However, quite some events still happened this year:

Matthew Stafford and the Rams, the previous season winners, didn't even make it to the playoffs.

Derek Carr got in a carr crash.

Dak Prescott felt the hurry of Cooper Rush.

Russell Wilson suddenly had no idea where he was after he suffered a hit of tom and jerry proportion.

Damar Hamlin unfortunately had a tragic event, which isn't even funny, and thank goodness made it out.

We lost Tyreek Hill, and after it being mentioned in every other game, we won without him. 

Not to mention after the previous one that Tyreek Hill went to the dolphins and made it to the playoffs, only to be knocked out first round.

And after it all, i'm still a proud chiefs fan. And may the next tyreek - less seasons be just as good and interesting as this one.

Edited by JaSoNsLyRiC24

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

He must be desperate if the Jets sound better.

Allow me to demonstrate just how much of an old fogey I am by quoting lyrics from a popular song during my childhood that I believe represents what's really going on here:

I want you to want me
I need you to need me
I'd love you to love me
I'm beggin' you to beg me

Aaron Rodgers isn't ready to hang up his cleats just yet.  Green Bay's management has made it quite clear that they're ready to move on from him, even with the massive salary cap hit they're going to take by trading or releasing him.  Most of the other teams that had quarterback openings have either filled them or intend to draft somebody to fill them.

The Jets are the one team stepping up saying that they want him, and that has to be pretty darned attractive to the guy.  Everybody wants to be wanted and almost everybody loves to be woo'ed.

I don't think it's going to end well, for any of the parties involved in this mess.  And that's not just the "lifetime of Gang Green misery" speaking here, although I could understand why that might be expected of me in these spaces.

The Jets have convinced themselves that they're "the right quarterback" away from contention.  Woody Johnson is willing to shell out the cash -- good for him, I think we all prefer owners who are willing to do that rather than count their money with a mediocre team.  Aaron Rodgers has convinced himself that the Jets are a team he can win with, and maybe they are.  Green Bay has convinced themselves that they can go seamlessly from Rodgers to Jordan Love the same way they went from Brett Favre to Rodgers.

So Rodgers is probably shot; he'll have a chip on his shoulder for a while but it's probably Brett Favre Redux in New Jersey -- perhaps coming full circle with a late-season collapse that costs a lot of people their jobs, from Rodgers to Robert Saleh to Joe Douglas.  The Jets will reprise last season, jumping off to a good start and falling apart later.  Green Bay is going to suck -- perhaps that's their plan -- and probably be looking for another quarterback in less than a year.  And maybe Woody Johnson will decide to spend $60 million in 2024 on politics instead of his football team with the hopes that he'll see a better return on his investment.

The upside for the Jets?  Rodgers cap hits for this season and next -- assuming a trade -- are meager.  Especially for a starting NFL quarterback.  This will help the Jets put a more complete team around him.  They'll probably keep Zach Wilson as the backup, with Wilson available to try and learn from Rodgers by way of osmosis and also in a position to get a ton of practice snaps and preseason snaps.

But, please?  No OBJ.  NO OBJ.

12 hours ago, acasser said:

Allow me to demonstrate just how much of an old fogey I am by quoting lyrics from a popular song during my childhood that I believe represents what's really going on here:

I want you to want me
I need you to need me
I'd love you to love me
I'm beggin' you to beg me

Aaron Rodgers isn't ready to hang up his cleats just yet.  Green Bay's management has made it quite clear that they're ready to move on from him, even with the massive salary cap hit they're going to take by trading or releasing him.  Most of the other teams that had quarterback openings have either filled them or intend to draft somebody to fill them.

The Jets are the one team stepping up saying that they want him, and that has to be pretty darned attractive to the guy.  Everybody wants to be wanted and almost everybody loves to be woo'ed.

I don't think it's going to end well, for any of the parties involved in this mess.  And that's not just the "lifetime of Gang Green misery" speaking here, although I could understand why that might be expected of me in these spaces.

The Jets have convinced themselves that they're "the right quarterback" away from contention.  Woody Johnson is willing to shell out the cash -- good for him, I think we all prefer owners who are willing to do that rather than count their money with a mediocre team.  Aaron Rodgers has convinced himself that the Jets are a team he can win with, and maybe they are.  Green Bay has convinced themselves that they can go seamlessly from Rodgers to Jordan Love the same way they went from Brett Favre to Rodgers.

So Rodgers is probably shot; he'll have a chip on his shoulder for a while but it's probably Brett Favre Redux in New Jersey -- perhaps coming full circle with a late-season collapse that costs a lot of people their jobs, from Rodgers to Robert Saleh to Joe Douglas.  The Jets will reprise last season, jumping off to a good start and falling apart later.  Green Bay is going to suck -- perhaps that's their plan -- and probably be looking for another quarterback in less than a year.  And maybe Woody Johnson will decide to spend $60 million in 2024 on politics instead of his football team with the hopes that he'll see a better return on his investment.

The upside for the Jets?  Rodgers cap hits for this season and next -- assuming a trade -- are meager.  Especially for a starting NFL quarterback.  This will help the Jets put a more complete team around him.  They'll probably keep Zach Wilson as the backup, with Wilson available to try and learn from Rodgers by way of osmosis and also in a position to get a ton of practice snaps and preseason snaps.

But, please?  No OBJ.  NO OBJ.

Jets fans are going to win regardless of outcome here. Whether Rodgers meditates enough to push through a trade, or Jets sign crusty Carson Wentz or geriatric Matt Ryan, they still didn’t give a $160 million contract to Daniel Jones. :hmm:

- Nice Lobo reference btw!

10 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

Jets fans are going to win regardless of outcome here. Whether Rodgers meditates enough to push through a trade, or Jets sign crusty Carson Wentz or geriatric Matt Ryan, they still didn’t give a $160 million contract to Daniel Jones. :hmm:

- Nice Lobo reference btw!

Green Bay will blink first and accept whatever scraps the Jets deign to throw their way.  Because the alternative is that Aaron Rodgers will show up at camp out of spite and force the Packers' hand with all the money he's guaranteed this season.

Green Bay is screwed with the cap consequences either way, but they'd probably prefer for somebody else to pay the $58 million or so.  Especially with how it's come out that they don't really want him there anymore.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, acasser said:

Green Bay will blink first and accept whatever scraps the Jets deign to throw their way.  Because the alternative is that Aaron Rodgers will show up at camp out of spite and force the Packers' hand with all the money he's guaranteed this season.

Green Bay is screwed with the cap consequences either way, but they'd probably prefer for somebody else to pay the $58 million or so.  Especially with how it's come out that they don't really want him there anymore.

I'd say it's safe to say Russel and Watson have ruined any future opportunity for teams to fleece picks when trading qbs.