National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

11 minutes ago, PsychicVibe said:

BTW congrats to Conker and Monkey for a great year of picking regular season games. Conker and I tied, with Monkey being just two games back.

ESPN does "Expert Picks", where eleven "experts" like Golic, Wingo and Wickersham pick games each week.

Conker finished with more wins than any of them.

Thanks!! You and Conker were just amazing with the picks this season. Was there an overall winner or just a tie for you guys?? 

@Conker even with no prize offered I would love to do this again with you guys next season. 

• Like 1

Well, here come next week's picks from the guy who thought the Saints would win in Green Bay and the Patriots would win in Kansas City.  ?

Baltimore over Tennessee.

Houston over Kansas City.  (Just a hunch.)

Seattle over Green Bay.

San Francisco over Minnesota.

21 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/cowboys-part-ways-with-jason-garrett

I'm not surprised...just not sure why they waited a week to do so.

They may not have had settled on his replacement until now............

Wouldn't it be something if they also let Dak go and then end up with McDaniels and Brady?

Hats off to a number of people this Sunday:

- Mike Zimmer. Somehow, he was able to take the Vikings' bigggest weakness (cornerbacks) and defeat the Saints' biggest strength (Drew Brees). For one stretch of the game, three of the Vikings top 4 corners were out with injury (Hughes and Alexander didn't even suit up). A big help came from the front four, who got pressure so we didn't need to blitz so much.

- Kirk Cousins. He wasn't perfect, but he outplayed Brees in one key area; making mistakes. He stayed in the pocket for the big throw to Thielen in the OT. Who cares if he can't win on MNF if he can win a playoff game in the Superdome.

- Adam Thielen. Thanks for finally being healthy. Diggs is the homerun hitter, but Thielen is the doubles guy who gets more hits. He made up for his fumble to make the clutch catch.

- NFL Officiating. For not caving to the crying Saints fans. Rudolph made contact, but the Saints player initiated the hand contact so if you want PI, it's defensive. 

- Delta Airlines. For offering live TV inflight so I could watch the second half and OT. :yay:

• Like 2

Big surprises in this wild card weekend... Vikings over Saints the top one! This way, SF did not have Seattle in the divisional round and could be the NFC (West) Championship game just like old times (or maybe could be a North affair, who knows!)

My picks:

49ers over Vikings: all heart here

Ravens over Titans: they are still the best team in NFL

Chiefs over Texans: think they are better than Houston

Seahawks over Packers: 'cause I WANT the Championship game between West again!

Edited by Zio_Sam87

10 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Usually they don't fire a coach with a replacement in place. 

Teams fire coaches without a permanent replacement in place all the time.  Especially in the off-season when you don't have an urgent need for the guy immediately.

And Garrett technically wasn't fired.  His contract was up the middle of next week -- January 14th if I recall correctly.  They chose not to give him a fresh deal to remain the Head Coach.

12 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Usually they don't fire a coach with a replacement in place. 

Acasser and Midnight are correct......he wasn't fired, they have "parted ways".......

Still, my comment is dead on....... 

Quote: "They may not have had settled on his replacement until now............"

The Dallas Cowboys have reportedly agreed to hire Mike McCarthy as their next head coach hours after officially parting ways with Jason Garrett who had spent the last nine seasons in the same position. The Cowboys’ official announcement is set for later in the week, FOX Sports’ NFL insider Jay Glazer reported. According to NFL Network, McCarthy had informed other teams that he was out of the running as their head coach and was dead set on becoming the Cowboys’ next coach.

McCarthy had interviewed with Dallas and it went so well he stayed an extra day.

Once the Cowboys interviewed Marvin Lewis, they were in compliance with the Rooney Rule.

Edited by PsychicVibe

NFC East going with veteran (but not necessarily dynamic) coaches.  Skins with Ron Rivera.  Cowboys with Mike McCarthy.  Giants should pick up Marvin Lewis.

I am going with all home teams this weekend.  The extra rest will help.

Chiefs over Texans

Ravens over Titans

49ers over Vikings

Packers over Seahawks

6 hours ago, djb5f said:

NFC East going with veteran (but not necessarily dynamic) coaches.  Skins with Ron Rivera.  Cowboys with Mike McCarthy.  Giants should pick up Marvin Lewis.

I could see the Giants bringing in Marvin Lewis because of the Rooney Rule requirements, but I haven't really heard much chatter in the local area about him being a serious possibility.

16 minutes ago, acasser said:

I could see the Giants bringing in Marvin Lewis because of the Rooney Rule requirements, but I haven't really heard much chatter in the local area about him being a serious possibility.

Jason Garrett is now available should the Giants desire too!

22 hours ago, PsychicVibe said:

Wild Card Weekend Prediction Results (please feel free to correct me where I am wrong).

Name                 Wins

Eldain                   2

I'm not too upset about calling the Pats Titans game wrong.

Predictions for Divisional Round:

Seahawks @ Packers
Genuinely don't know with this one and could see it going either way, but going with home field advantage and the extra rest.

Vikings @ 49ers
I feel weird about being a homer and picking my team, (maybe I'm just a pessimist?) even if we look better on paper. I do thing the Vikings had the most impressive Divisional round win and the prospect of facing that defensive line worries me.

Texans @ Chiefs
Texans can't play as sloppy as they did against the Bills here.

Titans @ Ravens 
I do think the Titans match up pretty well against the Ravens, but ultimately Ravens still win.

Also kinda surprised the Rams got rid of Wade Phillips, shouldn't be out of a job for too long.

Edited by EIdain
  • Like 1

2 more NFL jobs are done with Carolina taking Baylor’s Matt Rhule and the Giants going for Patriots WR coach Joe Judge. Leaving who would’ve guessed the Browns with the last vacancy 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28439690/sources-baylor-matt-rhule-panthers-next-coach-gets-7-year-60-million-deal

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28440034/sources-giants-hire-patriots-joe-judge-head-coach

My condolences to all Giants fans.  Your team is the latest to attempt to reverse their fortunes by hiring from the Belichick Tree of assistant coaches.  And after the "success" of guys like Mangini, McDaniels, Patricia, et cetera, is that really a fruitful idea?

5 hours ago, acasser said:

My condolences to all Giants fans.  Your team is the latest to attempt to reverse their fortunes by hiring from the Belichick Tree of assistant coaches.  And after the "success" of guys like Mangini, McDaniels, Patricia, et cetera, is that really a fruitful idea?

They are talking about hiring Jason Garrett as the OC too!

Not quite ready to start an XFL thread (I mean, who knows how long it'll last right?) but they announced their rules and some of them are interesting.  I wonder what will work and what won't, and more importantly, what (if anything) will the NFL adopt when it's all said and done?

3 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

Not quite ready to start an XFL thread (I mean, who knows how long it'll last right?) but they announced their rules and some of them are interesting.  I wonder what will work and what won't, and more importantly, what (if anything) will the NFL adopt when it's all said and done?

please tell me they are re-instating the race to the football at the 50 to see who wins the opening coin toss.

• Like 1

My picks for this weekend:

Niners over Vikings:

National media storyline questions how Jimmy G will perform in his first playoff game. Huh? Niners just went through a stretch of eight games comprised of Seattle (twice), Baltimore, Green Bay, New Orleans and the Rams and went 4-2 against them.....the losses were a last minute FG by Justin Tucker and a missed FG by Niners to win the game. Meanwhile Cousins has one playoff win, and looked terrible against Green Bay. The real issues will be......can the Niners stop Dalvin Cook and can the Niners take advantage of the Viking's depleted secondary? My expectation is that the Niners jump out to a lead, take Cook out of the game and smother Cousins. Vegas has this one as Niners by 7..........I've got it as SF 38 MN 13.

Ravens over Titans:

Ravens are well rested, and good thing, because here comes Derrick Henry. Titans will continue to pound the rock with him. Ravens offense, however, is far more dynamic. Vegas has Ravens by 10.........I say BT 34 TEN 10......game over by halftime.

Chiefs over Texans:

Since 1994, KC is 2-11 in the playoffs. And while Reid is a great HC, he is not good at clock management. Yet, Houston is known for starting slowly, and if they do that in this game they will not be able to keep pace with KC. Vegas says KC by 10......I've got it KC 41 HOU 20.

Packers over Seattle:

Rodgers vs. Wilson! This one might come down to who has the last possession. A rested, healthy GB on the frozen tundra has the edge. Vegas says GB by 4......I'll go with GB 27 SEA 24.

Home teams in the divisional round have a huge advantage.....historically they are 152-62!

2 hours ago, PsychicVibe said:

My picks for this weekend:

Niners over Vikings:

National media storyline questions how Jimmy G will perform in his first playoff game. Huh? Niners just went through a stretch of eight games comprised of Seattle (twice), Baltimore, Green Bay, New Orleans and the Rams and went 4-2 against them.....the losses were a last minute FG by Justin Tucker and a missed FG by Niners to win the game. Meanwhile Cousins has one playoff win, and looked terrible against Green Bay. The real issues will be......can the Niners stop Dalvin Cook and can the Niners take advantage of the Viking's depleted secondary? My expectation is that the Niners jump out to a lead, take Cook out of the game and smother Cousins. Vegas has this one as Niners by 7..........I've got it as SF 38 MN 13.

As a Vikings fan, I'm more fearful of the damage the 49er front four does vs. the porous O-line, compared to Jimmy G vs. MN secondary. Cousins did look terrible in that GB game, but a big reason why is the Viking O line blocked as efficiently as cardboard cut-outs. Kirk really had only 3 bad games this season, and they're all vs. teams with great pass rushes. Vikings are 0-3 the last two seasons vs. the Bears (I'm not counting the Week 17 loss vs. our JV squad) bc the Bears rush just killed Cousins. And it's been proven, if you rattle him early, he really never recovers. 

I'm expecting a loss, but somehow Mike Zimmer pulled out a win last week in the venue I most feared for the playoffs. If Brees didn't carve up our CBs, should I be worried about Jimmy G? I definitely will be a bit worried about our pass D, considering Joe Montana could come out of retirement and throw left-handed, and probably have a 300-yard passing game. But Zimmer should be able to confuse Jimmy with disguised blitz and coverage packages. Hell, Zimmer even baited Brees into throwing into double-coverage.

Vikes will have a chance if they play well for four quarters. If they take a quarter off, we know what happens (see L vs. SEA). Of course, History gives me a bit of hope too. I remember a playoff game when the Vikings went into Candlestick in the prime Montana-Rice era and somehow won, with Anthony Carter proving to be the best WR on the field that day. And if memory serves correctly, the Vikings' Wild Card game the previous week was in New Orleans!

• Like 1

Alright, my picks for this weekend.  I would not be surprised to see all 1 and 2 seeds moving on.

Niners 38-37 Vikings - Vikings proved they can win on the road against a great team last weekend.  I've seen books and sports analysts giving them the win.  But I don't think they do, even with a now typical Jimmy G fumble deep in his own end.  Nine have rest, stars returning, and home field advantage.  Vikings have only 6 days rest with 2 cross-country flights in that time.  Even with that, this one comes down to a last minute field goal, as has become standard for this team.

Ravens 45-21 Titans - Titans played a SLOPPY game last week, but they were playing the incredibly overrated Pats.  No such luck this week.  A well-rested Ravens squad shakes off nearly a month of rust and blasts the Titans out of the water.

Chiefs 27-20 Texans - Chiefs has the advantage in almost every category.  Arrowhead will be rocking when they're on D.  I like Watson, but his flexing won't help him here.  He almost lost last week at home, and only got out of it thanks to a single Herculean effort.  Won't be enough this week.

Packers 21-17 Seahawks - I wouldn't want to be the Hawks in this game.  Packers aren't that scary, BUT... they're at home with the crowd on their side.  It'll be as cold as 20 degrees with ice and rain.  They'll be playing in the afternoon, so it'll be dark long before the game is over.  Hawks are on the road again, after 6 days rest, 2 cross country flights like the Vikes, and a very banged up team.  Ironically, Beast Mode might be the Hawks only saving grace, but they still go home empty handed.