Worst Game You Ever Pushed Through and Plat'ed Anyway

Bullstomp

10 hours ago, Bullstomp said:

That is a great story! Can you please give an estimate of how long it took you to plat?

Thanks! Yeah it took nearly a year but most of that was procrastination. It eventually got to the point where i had popped all of the easy miscellaneous trophies so i had no other choice than to finish it. Took about a month, 4 hours per day to finish it off. The problem with the game is that its 60% skill - 40% luck, so a lot of perseverance was needed..

Edited by Demon--Prototype
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gerboize said:

Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories. Whoever thought up that trophy list doesn't deserve to be happy.

I agree, if I had to choose a game from my list it would be KH: CoM. Although I liked the game, doing six playthroughs made it become really boring really fast.

17 minutes ago, BB-BakkerJ said:

I agree, if I had to choose a game from my list it would be KH: CoM. Although I liked the game, doing six playthroughs made it become really boring really fast.

Oh dear, you went for the PS3 version plat. I don't think I would have been able to pull that one off, the PS4 plat already being a nightmare I wouldn't go through again for the life of me. I take my hat off to you.

Just now, madbuk said:

Why? It's the least grindy KH game apart from the two movies.

I've only played the first KH and CoM so far. Grinding in the first one was not that annoying. Sure, you had to collect a lot of materials but their drop rates were quite big. It took me roughly 5 hours gathering everything. By the time I was done with every trophy, except for the lvl 100 one, I had already reached lvl 94. Needless to say I was already happy about my plat at that point. On the other hand, CoM was both long and boring. It took me a little less than 50h for the platinum, half of which was pure grinding. Enemy cards farming was a huge pain in the backbone due to their ridiculously low drop rate and getting Sora and Riku to lvl 99 was even worse. I'm never going back to that game.

I remember J Stars Victory vs Plus being pretty horrible. I hammered it too with long sessions. Most games that've felt like a slog wouldn't have been so bad if I had spaced them out a bit better or played them with other things. I remember all the Senran Kagura games overstaying their welcome (especially dekamori) but I still quite like them & will pick up future titles. Recently I had a hard time getting through Far Cry Primal and really loathed the game by the end of it & think I need a few years before I play any more open world cluttered map stuff. I don't think it's a bad game really but it became so damn boring.

Funnily enough I've seen people mention several platinums I actually enjoyed getting. Saw Deadly Premonition mentioned but I loved that, even stacked the plat when the english ps3 version came out. Considering the plat only takes a single playthrough with all side missions completed I'd consider it pretty much the ideal 3D game trophy list. If it came out on ps4 I'd stack it again.

10 minutes ago, readytofuky said:

Saw Deadly Premonition mentioned but I loved that, even stacked the plat when the english ps3 version came out. Considering the plat only takes a single playthrough with all side missions completed I'd consider it pretty much the ideal 3D game trophy list. If it came out on ps4 I'd stack it again.

This makes me want to go back to Deadly Premonition. When I first tried it, it put me in this long, dark sequence of Resident Evil-ish shooting in the woods that I didn't really enjoy, but maybe I'll try to go a little deeper in and see if gameplay improves.

On 1/13/2017 at 3:51 AM, Jayharth said:

So far the worst game I pushed through for plat for was Guacamelee. TBH, I regret finishing up even the first playthrough.

What?!?!? That game was a masterclass in how to make a fresh Metroidvania! You're entitled to your own opinions but this is in no way a bad game 

22 hours ago, rdhight said:

This makes me want to go back to Deadly Premonition. When I first tried it, it put me in this long, dark sequence of Resident Evil-ish shooting in the woods that I didn't really enjoy, but maybe I'll try to go a little deeper in and see if gameplay improves.

I reckon the start of the game doesn't do well demonstrating what's good about it. Initially getting around the open part of the map is pretty slow going as well but a couple of chapters in there's a side mission that provides a fast travel item and fairly early on it's possible to do another side mission to get an infinite/unbreakable wrench which I wrecked just about every enemy with most of the game, it's way better than a gun. The way the side missions give in-game rewards in addition to trophies is another reason I think it's such a good trophy list. They also provide extra details about the characters & world which is brilliant once immersed in it.

I do understand it's not the game for everyone & the ways to make the game better aren't all that clearly outlined but I swear it's special & worth a shot. In any case I did the directors cut version in about 25 hours (JPN version was 50 hours but I stuffed around a lot since it was my first time with the game) which is pretty reasonable.

Another game I saw mentioned in this thread was ICO. For about 10 years I thought it was one of the worst games ever & could never push past the graveyard any time I'd attempt it but when TLG was set to release & was looking more like ICO than SOTC I figured I'd try ICO one more time & if I could beat it that would determine if I'd pick up TLG on release. Once past the graveyard the game was much better & after beating it I thought it was actually pretty good & went for the platinum. After doing the Speedrun I had nothing but love for the game. It was so satisfying skipping sections of the game I had previously found awful. It still took a lot of patience & determination with an ultra-calm mindset. Once I stopped raging at the controls and got used to them I was able to enjoy the experience & see the game for the masterpiece it is.

For me, LEGO Legends of Chima (Vita). It was with this LEGO game that I started to realize how much I disliked them. My first LEGO game was Indiana Jones, and it was great and fresh. I liked the Batman ones too, but this one was just aggravating. I've completed other LEGO games since but it's always a struggle and I always question myself as to why I keep starting these.

Right now it's the multiplayer grindfest in Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge that I'm forcing myself through. To everyone that's thinking about starting Ninja Gaiden 3 or Razor's Edge; start something else that's less BS like Warhawk or White Knight Chronicles.

Edited by R3d

I've been busy with college and family lately so haven't had a lot of time to play. 

I recently platted Ether One. Not as bad as people think, it gets it's reputation from the crashes and glitches. The people who developed the game apparently didn't know how to patch the game properly. It crashes every time I tried to teleport from the Case. Going from Pinwheel Harbour to Pinwheel Village via the gate resulted in a five to ten minute wait time. For an indie release that's pretty bad. 

24 minutes ago, billyc180 said:

Orc slayer.

By far the most mind numbing game I've played. Not a long game and an easy Plat but getting to the end was pure relief it was finally over.

Does anybody remember or even know a game called Chex Quest? Playing Orc Slayer reminded me of that game.

Not on this account but it would be Ether One. Fuck that game. Not only did pretty much every possible glitch happen to me but about 3/4 through the game I had a bug where every loading screen would last like 10 minutes. I could've restarted but then I'd have the possibility of all previous glitches so hell no. Ended up taking twice as long as it should have. 

Another would be Everyone's gone to the Rapture because the slow walking bored me to death. 

8 hours ago, DeadStanley said:

For me, LEGO Legends of Chima (Vita). It was with this LEGO game that I started to realize how much I disliked them. My first LEGO game was Indiana Jones, and it was great and fresh. I liked the Batman ones too, but this one was just aggravating. I've completed other LEGO games since but it's always a struggle and I always question myself as to why I keep starting these.

Is it really that bad? I love Lego games (though fuck Lego Batman 3, fuck fuck fuck that game). 

On 7/15/2017 at 5:01 AM, ArmoredSquirreXD said:

Is it really that bad? I love Lego games (though fuck Lego Batman 3, fuck fuck fuck that game). 

Perhaps not if you're into LEGO games, but to me I think it's just the redundancy of them. Another few I absolutely hated were the Harry Potter ones where you had to use your wand and spells on everything. Sometimes I just like to bash the crap out of things with my fist. For what it's worth I prefer the Vita or 3DS versions of the LEGO games over the open world console ones. Batman 2 on PS3 was a huge chore, running around the city looking for collectables. Batman 2 on Vita omitted the open world and was more manageable for my tastes. Then the LEGO Hobbit, although I didn't finish, I liked the change of direction it took with the quests you had to complete.

It won't stop me from starting more LEGO games though, it's just I need motivation to finish them. To each their own, I guess.

GTA San Andreas. Kept being plagued with random things like this:

It was a consistent stream of random things out of my control that really killed the game for me and every time I played the game it felt like a chore. I'm glad to be done with it and may never play another gta.

As it stands I may have just found a game genre I don't enjoy

• 2 weeks later...