Plat Racers! - Cancelled

Yeah, but it's not a golden game until September 16. I'll join then and hopefully have the MGR plat.

SO4 is an excellent grind-based game, with a prize like that I'm sure people would sign up. Then there are some THL members that haven't started SO4 yet. If you decide to do SO4, we could do a cross-over event :D.

That's a good idea. I think it's WAY too much of a grind to put as a normal race, but maybe the second special race will be Star Ocean.

Count me in. I'll be going for the special platinums. ;)

It's real nice of you to add prizes too, it's greatly appreciated man!

Unfortunately, you don't meet the requirements to enter the special race. You need to have at least 1 Ultra Rare plat.

I was afraid this would happen, not enough people are interested in the games, or have already started. I wanted to get the first race started as quickly as possible, so I chose them myself, but would you guys rather vote, and then wait another week before the first race starts?

I was afraid this would happen, not enough people are interested in the games, or have already started. I wanted to get the first race started as quickly as possible, so I chose them myself, but would you guys rather vote, and then wait another week before the first race starts?

I still hope symphonia is going to be one of the games, since i'm kind of set on playing it now xD

Added the poll for new games. I'll be keeping Symphonia, and then adding 2 more games once the vote is over. Because of the vote, the race will no longer be starting on September 12th, it will be starting on September 19th instead. I'll run the poll through the weekend, and then people can sign up throughout all next week.

If anyone wants to sign up to play Symphonia, just let me know, and I'll add you to the racers!

• Like 1

NGS2 is the only one of those I haven't done that I'd be at all interested to play but it's waaaaaaay down on my to do list (Like, almost as far down as SO4, D-A).  Hopefully there is something there to interest more people.  I really hope this thing is successful Ex.  If I can get my race games done I'll probably play Symphonia along with you guys since I'm only about 5 trophies in.  I know I'm ineligible but I'm hoping it'll boost motivation for it.

I'm not trying to tell you how to run your own contest, but what if you pick a game that hasn't come out yet, that you know a lot of people will get? Just using as an example (and I know it doesn't come out till November) Fallout 4? A hell of a lot of people who participate and I think it would be a lot of fun for the community. Now I know there isn't a lot of AAA games coming out soonish, but what if you put this on hold until then, let some other contests finish, and then start yours up then? again I'm not trying to step on your toes or anything, and I think this is a really great idea. As it stands now, I don't see a lot of people willing to participate because of the choice of games.

I'm not trying to tell you how to run your own contest, but what if you pick a game that hasn't come out yet, that you know a lot of people will get? Just using as an example (and I know it doesn't come out till November) Fallout 4? A hell of a lot of people who participate and I think it would be a lot of fun for the community. Now I know there isn't a lot of AAA games coming out soonish, but what if you put this on hold until then, let some other contests finish, and then start yours up then? again I'm not trying to step on your toes or anything, and I think this is a really great idea. As it stands now, I don't see a lot of people willing to participate because of the choice of games.

I won't be doing that. The primary reason I started this, is to help motivate people to play harder games. That's why I included prizes. If it were just to make a contest, I wouldn't have had hard games, and I wouldn't have included prizes. If there isn't enough interest, then oh well. I tried.

Edited by ExHaseo
  • Like 1

I won't be doing that. The primary reason I started this, is to help motivate people to play harder games. That's why I included prizes. If it were just to make a contest, I wouldn't have had hard games, and I wouldn't have included prizes. If there isn't enough interest, then oh well. I tried.

And you can always create that event ShadowSigmaX. Like you said, I'm sure they will be loads of people interested in it.

If Sword Art Online gets chosen, then I will definitely join in! I'd rather play that one rather than Symphonia. When will you close the poll?

That's a good idea. I think it's WAY too much of a grind to put as a normal race, but maybe the second special race will be Star Ocean.

Unfortunately, you don't meet the requirements to enter the special race. You need to have at least 1 Ultra Rare plat.

I've got an UR plat on an old account, fifa 14 though lol.

Regardless, if no one is joining; that kinda says your requirement for entry it too high.

I'm willing to do those three games for a race. That should be enough to get me in.

If you want my advice, you should drop the post requirement and the UR plat requirement.

That all seems unnecessary.

All you should want, is people who are actually going to race.

I'm one of those people.

And I'm happy to play the first 3 games you chose. I don't mind if they stay the same.

I would need to buy blazblue and Naruto though.

Maybe stick to hard games that have been on ps + ?

So Injustice, mercenary kings and super time force ultra for example?

At least for the first week.

Edited by dfyd

Added the poll for new games. I'll be keeping Symphonia, and then adding 2 more games once the vote is over. Because of the vote, the race will no longer be starting on September 12th, it will be starting on September 19th instead. I'll run the poll through the weekend, and then people can sign up throughout all next week.

If anyone wants to sign up to play Symphonia, just let me know, and I'll add you to the racers!

Im still up for Tales of symphonia ,   and now i have another week to play more Dark Souls (even if i dont think i finish it in one week -.-)

Can i join for sword art online for the ps4 version even though i earned like 5 trophies for the vita one?

Yeah, that's fine. I just want to make sure everyone starts at the same time, so that no one has an advantage.

And you can always create that event ShadowSigmaX. Like you said, I'm sure they will be loads of people interested in it.

If Sword Art Online gets chosen, then I will definitely join in! I'd rather play that one rather than Symphonia. When will you close the poll?

The poll will be closed at the end of the weekend. Figured I'd give it a couple of days, but it looks like there's already a clear winner lol.

• Like 2

When does the race for symphonia start? Do you get to pick 1 of the 3 games or are there 3 seperate races for each game?

The race starts on September 19th GMT -7. All games are part of the same race. You just get to pick the game you're going to play.

I wanted people to have a selection of games, to get more people in on the races. Since having only 1 game at a time would limit who could participate even more. I also thought it'd be more interesting that way. Since, for example, people playing Symphonia won't know how close people playing SAO are to the plat, and vice-versa.

I really wanted to be able to make it so people who already started the games could join too, but I just couldn't think of a scenario where it would be fair. Everything I could think of put them at an advantage, or a disadvantage. :/

Next time I do a race I'm going to say "no significant progress made" - which will mean less than 2 hrs trophy gap, AND less than 10% trophy completion. A lot of games throw two or three at you in the first hour or so. It's still an advantage, but it's not insurmountable by any stretch. I know several people who fire up every game they can get their hands on, but only play for an hour or so. I don't feel like that's too much of an advantage for a 120 hour plat.

The race starts on September 19th GMT -7. All games are part of the same race. You just get to pick the game you're going to play.

I wanted people to have a selection of games, to get more people in on the races. Since having only 1 game at a time would limit who could participate even more. I also thought it'd be more interesting that way. Since, for example, people playing Symphonia won't know how close people playing SAO are to the plat, and vice-versa.

I really wanted to be able to make it so people who already started the games could join too, but I just couldn't think of a scenario where it would be fair. Everything I could think of put them at an advantage, or a disadvantage. :/

I think you should try and make sure all the games are of similar length. Also a good idea would be for people to suggest games and then put them into the poll for people to vote, in my eyes alot of the games suggested are really similar.

hm so i race against catherine players? i dont know , .... tales of symphonia 150h +  , catherine 50h+  .

i know catherina is way harder , but with skill you can beat it faster .  on tales of symphonia you need 5-6 playthroughts , you cant speed that up .

i know i take it maybe to seriose but i want a fair race . and some of the games have a pretty significant diffrent on time.

So maybe ppl should race intern in theire category .  of cause you dont give price on every single category.

I think you should try and make sure all the games are of similar length. Also a good idea would be for people to suggest games and then put them into the poll for people to vote, in my eyes alot of the games suggested are really similar.

hm so i race against catherine players? i dont know , .... tales of symphonia 150h +  , catherine 50h+  .

i know catherina is way harder , but with skill you can beat it faster .  on tales of symphonia you need 5-6 playthroughts , you cant speed that up .

i know i take it maybe to seriose but i want a fair race . and some of the games have a pretty significant diffrent on time.

So maybe ppl should race intern in theire category .  of cause you dont give price on every single category.

That's where skill comes into play.

For Symphonia, you only need 4 playthroughs, and it can be done in around 100 hours (took me a little less than 120, and I'm not even on the fastest leaderboards, I also screwed up and had to do 5 playthroughs, and I paid attention to the story the whole time on the first two playthroughs), you just have to plan everything well enough. Even though it takes a while, anyone can get the Symphonia plat. They just have to put in the time. That's it, no real gaming skill is needed.

The same can't be said for the Catherine plat. There are many people who won't be able to complete the babel stages. It can be done in around 50 hours, but you have to be really good at the game. It's very easily unattainable, and could take longer than Symphonia to develop the skill needed to get the plat.

The contest is also based on real world time, not game time. Catherine could take someone 60 hours, but that time could be spread across a couple of months, because the person didn't have the patience to deal with constantly failing over and over on the Babel stages. While the Symphonia plat could take someone 150 hours, but over the course of a couple of weeks, because they just grinded their way through while watching TV or something.

Catherine isn't even guaranteed to be in the race, it's in the vote. So it's ultimately up to the community.

I chose the games up there based on the difficulty and length. Some are difficult, some are just a grind, and some are both (which are in there for variety of selection and/or popularity). Of course the grind ones are going to take longer, but the skill ones aren't going to be attainable by everyone. It would've been horribly unfair to put up games that are the same length, but with some taking considerably more skill. For example, the guide for Catherine says 45-60+ hours. If I had gone by game time alone, then another game that I could've put was Resident Evil 6, which is listed at 60.

RE6 is considerably easier, and pitting them up against someone with Catherine just doesn't make any sense. There's no real balance there, as the game difficulty isn't taken into account. Another game I could've put was Persona 4 Arena, which is listed at 50+, but it's also one of the hardest plats to obtain. Once again, difficulty wasn't taken into account, but one has a clear advantage. Between a game like Symphonia or Catherine though, it's debatable who could finish first, because while Catherine is difficult, and it's impossible for some people, it's still feasible. While, like I've said, Symphonia can be done by anyone.

I also had to put a couple of games in there for variety. If I were going on game time alone, especially based on Symphonia's play time, it would've been entirely JRPGs. Instead, there's 2 fighting games, 2 DW style games, 1 open world game, 1 JRPG, 1 hack-n-slash action game, and 1 stealth based action game.

And Precision, I'm confused how you can think they're really similar. SAO isn't anything like GTA4, neither of them are like MGS4, none of them are like Wipeout, and none of those are like UMvC3. The only similar ones are KoF and UMvC3, and DW Gundam 2 and Bleach.

That's where skill comes into play.

For Symphonia, you only need 4 playthroughs, and it can be done in around 100 hours (took me a little less than 120, and I'm not even on the fastest leaderboards, I also screwed up and had to do 5 playthroughs, and I paid attention to the story the whole time on the first two playthroughs), you just have to plan everything well enough. Even though it takes a while, anyone can get the Symphonia plat. They just have to put in the time. That's it, no real gaming skill is needed.

The same can't be said for the Catherine plat. There are many people who won't be able to complete the babel stages. It can be done in around 50 hours, but you have to be really good at the game. It's very easily unattainable, and could take longer than Symphonia to develop the skill needed to get the plat.

The contest is also based on real world time, not game time. Catherine could take someone 60 hours, but that time could be spread across a couple of months, because the person didn't have the patience to deal with constantly failing over and over on the Babel stages. While the Symphonia plat could take someone 150 hours, but over the course of a couple of weeks, because they just grinded their way through while watching TV or something.

Catherine isn't even guaranteed to be in the race, it's in the vote. So it's ultimately up to the community.

I chose the games up there based on the difficulty and length. Some are difficult, some are just a grind, and some are both (which are in there for variety of selection and/or popularity). Of course the grind ones are going to take longer, but the skill ones aren't going to be attainable by everyone. It would've been horribly unfair to put up games that are the same length, but with some taking considerably more skill. For example, the guide for Catherine says 45-60+ hours. If I had gone by game time alone, then another game that I could've put was Resident Evil 6, which is listed at 60.

RE6 is considerably easier, and pitting them up against someone with Catherine just doesn't make any sense. There's no real balance there, as the game difficulty isn't taken into account. Another game I could've put was Persona 4 Arena, which is listed at 50+, but it's also one of the hardest plats to obtain. Once again, difficulty wasn't taken into account, but one has a clear advantage. Between a game like Symphonia or Catherine though, it's debatable who could finish first, because while Catherine is difficult, and it's impossible for some people, it's still feasible. While, like I've said, Symphonia can be done by anyone.

I also had to put a couple of games in there for variety. If I were going on game time alone, especially based on Symphonia's play time, it would've been entirely JRPGs. Instead, there's 2 fighting games, 2 DW style games, 1 open world game, 1 JRPG, 1 hack-n-slash action game, and 1 stealth based action game.

And Precision, I'm confused how you can think they're really similar. SAO isn't anything like GTA4, neither of them are like MGS4, none of them are like Wipeout, and none of those are like UMvC3. The only similar ones are KoF and UMvC3, and DW Gundam 2 and Bleach.

jeah you have good points .  lets find it out^^ . if after some few month always the winning game was the fastest we can talk about it again :) .   

i was just thinking because 50 h compared to 150 h is pretty huge.  but we will see :)