GTA 6 to be set in Tokyo (maybe).

JapanimeGamer

Personally I doubt if you consider that part of the reason why GTA works is because it's a parody of American culture.  For example something like an ammu-nation doesn't really work in most other countries.  I mean not even most yakuza use or have access to guns.

Agreed. I find most of my liking for the gta games comes from them parodying American culture which I find fucking great.

I will be interesting to see what city they do, I know the developers are obsessed with American culture and making their games so focused on it, so it would be hard to see them do Japan, but ya never know!

Those GTA fan YouTube channels are gonna go crazy with this rumor for the next few months, they still make long rambling videos every single week (for the past 2 years) about how Liberty City is definitely for sure coming to GTA Online (No, really this time!) lol

No they said this won't be happening they said it would be hard to take GTA outside of the US.

EDIT: As this link is from theLADbible on facebook i'm not sure how accurate this is 

http://www.theladbible.com/articles/it-looks-like-gta-vi-could-be-in-the-works-270316

Eh.. Lad Bible is like a comedy thing.. I wouldn't use it as a proper source of information.

And I don't know what the point in this would be for Rockstar since we already kind of have this with Yakuza which is a much better series of games than GTA is.

If this was to happen, it would probably be like GTA London, it'll be a spin-off.  They seem to keep the main series within the US.

Given their obsession with supporting GTA Online, to the point of dropping their initial plans for single player DLC for GTA V altogether... I'm putting my money on GTA VI being all-online anyways.  In which case, who cares where it's set, I won't be playing it. xD

Edited by Dreakon13

I sincerely hope it's not in Tokyo. I think a lot of that original rumor came from all the Otaku fans that love everything Japan breathes out. Honestly, the style of game GTA has always been has little to no room in Tokyo. It's a parody of American culture, or western at best, so anything non-Europe/USA is a complete waste. If you dig that deep into a culture to ridicule it at almost every intersection, then you need deep roots. Rockstar is all-American.

Not to mention, all the NPCs would talk Japanese. I don't know the first word, and having them speak English would be weird. This is 99% not happening.

Edited by Paige-ID

It would be good for them to try something new. After all, the devs aren't even American, they're British. Regardless though it's too early for them to be making GTA 6 currently, they still make plenty of profit via GTA Online and its microtransactions

With a 5 year turnaround they must be well into making GTA6 by now.

Mexico or Africa? You wot m8? 

Why not have it in Belgium or Asia. 

Yeah Asia would be a great country to set it in. 

Africa as a country doesn't appeal to me. 

Mexico would be bland, we all know Mexicans only say "ese" and whine "homes" when frustrated... it's like a groan but in Mexican. So it's wouldn't be called Grand Theft Auto VI, it would be called Ese Ese Ese Homes .

Furthermore kidnapping children, stealing people's jobs and building a wall for Trump doesn't sound like a fun gta game tbh. 

Okay I'm lying that sounds like a great game. 

I'm only joking bois...

it sounds like a terrible game. 

I dunno mate, I'd love a GTA: Mogadishu.

Anyway we've already got Yakuza which are arguably better games in my opinion. Which reminds me that I need to finish 3 but want to start 4 and 5 :(. So much to fucking do. 

• Like 1

How come this is even a rumor? Where are the hints that they're considering making 6 on Tokyo these days in the first place?

The basis is a trademark filled more than a decade ago. How many GTA's happened from there onwards that didn't take such idea?

I only see words like "Considered", "Was", etc.

A rumor based on something that happened many years ago and was slashed and thrown out shouldn't even exist.

Edited by Lord_of_Ra
  • Like 1

I dunno mate, I'd love a GTA: Mogadishu.

Anyway we've already got Yakuza which are arguably better games in my opinion. Which reminds me that I need to finish 3 but want to start 4 and 5 :(. So much to fucking do. 

Lmao, that, Haiti or Yemen would be GOTY material. 

I have 3 and 4 and haven't even played them. :|

People who wish for GTA to be outside of America strike me as not really understanding how important being set in America is to GTA.

The whole game oozes parody and satire of American culture, and manages to maintain its popularity around the world because American culture is so prevalent in our media.

If it was set somewhere like Japan, and it remained authentic to its source, it would alienate most of the fanbase because they wouldn't understand the references or have the knowledge to appreciate the social commentary.

I could perhaps see a jet-setting GTA - with you playing a hitman and needing to travel to a foreign country to make the hit, and maybe have groups of missions that lock you in to a small area of the city you're in.

Have it set so you have contracts you can accept, prepare the hit, travel over and execute.  Have it as a continuation of the Heist concept.  Can satisfy, to an extent, the people begging for a foreign GTA and still keep its feet planted on American soil.

Can also afford Rockstar the chance to essentially demo locations, and see what attracts the most favour from the audience.  

GTA6 could very well be an MMO anyway - GTAOnline is only their second swing and they've crushed it.  

The entire topic is misleading in any case; "The road system was seen to be problematic and became one reason the idea was canned...Our source added that, as time has gone on, Rockstar has realized the difficulty in moving Grand Theft Auto outside of the USA, where it has firmly embedded itself."

Seems the article whole-heartedly agrees

Edited by LastPisTolman

-Snip-

Exactly, that is a big part of GTA's overall appeal.

As for the article, the author made a mistake. He included 2 news that don't have a direct relation and poorly tried to mix them.

It could have been very well written if he started about possible rumors regarding GTA 6 and making people wonder what location it would be, but also mentioning that previous choices outside of America have been scrapped off already.

Edited by Lord_of_Ra

Speaking for myself [....] my own personal feeling is that GTA is America.

Of course there have been two GTA games set outside the States before, but Grand Theft Auto: London, 1969 and Grand Theft Auto: London, 1961 were just cheaply made mission packs back when the series was 2D and nowhere near the cultural phenomena it is today.

I think there are plenty of great stories we could tell about the UK, great environments to showcase, great gameplay mechanics that could have a UK bent to them – I just don’t think it would be a GTA necessarily.

It's not leaving America.

I don't mind in taking place in Japan but I think we've already got Yakuza and Sleeping Dogs(Hong Kong) for that, I would love for it to take place in London though,so I can hear dialogue like" I'll Shiv you up real nice Bruv", "Welcome to the Ends", "You bettah not try to shag mi mums", "you bloody wankas!", I don't know, but I find it extremely funny when British People Insult each other, as I will surely appreciate the change of scenery and a nice introduction in European Culture. Then again I may of watched too much "Attack The Block" on repeat.

Edited by Shaowsintzu
  • Like 1

With a 5 year turnaround they must be well into making GTA6 by now.

GTA 5 is a little over 2 years old. Rockstar are known for spreading their sequels far apart (GTA 4 in 2008 and GTA 5 in 2013). There's also been no major release since GTA 5 so it's much more likely we will see a non-GTA Rockstar title before we see the next game in the series.

Edited by Akira Fox
  • Like 1