[2017-2018] Monthly Madness

As the month rolls over, keep in mind that we'll take entries for March for another day or two, and entries for April starting now.

If you have any March updates, please try to get them in soon so this idiot doesn't put them in the wrong place on auto-pilot.  :P

April's theme: Supers!

Laser beams, invisibility, flight, fireballs - there's a ridiculous number of superheroes out there with a crazy variety of powers. Go out there and save some civilians - or maybe set them on fire. We won't judge.

ex: Injustice: Gods Among Us, Prototype, South Park: The Fractured But Whole

Hardcore requirement: Save the Day - The game must be able to be played as a good/pure character. HCR: Must involve your character saving the day in some way.

ex: inFamous, Lego Marvel Superheroes, Saints Row IV

...Time travel for Spider-Man PS4... *grabby hands*

@eigen-space

That's nice of you.  :)

No reason you can't play it next anyway; short games or a skip just to check off the month are always an option.

@MarkusT1992

Got you updated. Nice icon choice!

@AS_CHAOTIC

Nothing wrong with that, sometimes other things just get in the way. Good luck, maybe you can squeeze it in!

@Kent10201

Nice choice of game! Updated,

@CJ_Mystery

Just a thought, but at least some of the Vita Lego games don't have DLC when the PS4 versions do. Could always look into renting it that way.

@PermaFox

After sunset, perhaps?  :P

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SyIaris said:

@eigen-space

That's nice of you.  :)

No reason you can't play it next anyway; short games or a skip just to check off the month are always an option.

I started playing Asdivine Hearts as I thought that the good guys would win. Main character is a good guy (his main goal in life is to run an orphanage-- if that's not a good guy, I don't know what is!)  and they're definitely trying to save the day (deity of darkness kicked out the deity of light from heaven so now the deity of darkness is creating powerful monsters that are attacking people, etc... goal is to get the deity of light back to heaven).

It's a non-plat game but should still take about as long as a 90s era RPG (20-40hrs). It's quite fun so far; I picked it up a while ago after reading a review from someone on this site.

Small update: I've finished Machinarium (PS4 version) - granting me a Golden Star for March, and a Golden Star in "Hardcore Challenge" (there's not any star more due to personal rules...).

Tomorrow or after I will send my first game for April - I think Hyperdevotion Noire is eligible as a game for April's theme.

Thanks.

19 hours ago, SyIaris said:

ex: inFamous, Lego Marvel Superheroes, Saints Row IV

Yeah, I'd like to put this as my pick for April. It fits both the themes nicely. Unfortunately, the earliest I can swing it is Tuesday because I spent the last of my free money on Teslagrad for a quick plat and I'm down to $8.06 for the rest of the month. :(

But if I can get my promo code for 20% a transaction, I can throw it in the cart with NNK2 and get it for $14.99 instead of $19.99. (I should have bought that instead of LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens.)

(Also I know a lot of people are doing four games at once, but if the main theme is Superheroes, I can't do a second unless I renew PS Now because the only other Superheroes game I can stomach is another LEGO game, LEGO Batman 2, and I plan on using that money to buy two game cards for Wizard101 so i can get back into that MMO for reasons, aka Test Realm update.)

Edited by CJ_Mystery

Just a little amendment needed for the stats OP.

Stats at the start of 2018:

Platinum trophies: 83

100% completed: 70

Completion: 52.25%

Stats at the April 1st of 2018:

Platinum trophies: 103 + 20

100% completed: 80 + 10

Completion: 53.73% + 1.48%

I don't think I have any games which count as having a wonderful view, unless you count Puppeteer as being an artistic marvel where you overlook the earth from the moon.

As for next month, will have to look at the 690 games unstarted...

No new completions following my mid month update so just one title completed for the event (Rime) and one more unrelated while counting one for the challenge of completing a game for another event. Otherwise, here's a stats update....

March

Plats: +2

100%: NC

Completion rate: -2.55%

Stats

Plats: 111 (+8 for event)

100%: 46 (+2 for event)

Completion rate: 77.95% (-1.00% for event)

We'll see what I can come up with for this event while recovering my CR...

Still need to post my stats for March, so here we go:

Platinum trophies: +6

100% completed: +2

Completion: +1.92%

My completion gain is a bit lower than what I wrote but I already started my first game for April so I used the stats from before starting that game.

On 3/31/2018 at 2:44 PM, SyIaris said:

Just a thought, but at least some of the Vita Lego games don't have DLC when the PS4 versions do. Could always look into renting it that way.

One prob with that - I already platinumed all of the Vita LEGO Batman games. (Yes, there are the LEGO Marvel games but I had bad experiences with LEGO Marvel Avengers for Vita and LEGO Marvel Superheroes for Vita is a pale shadow of itself, being a top-down isometric view instead of the 3D view the PS4 version has.)

Edited by CJ_Mystery

My completion stats for March are as follows:

Platinum trophies: +4

100% completed: +3

Completion: +1.43%

I'd like to use my skip for May. I don't think that at this moment I have games with aliens or futuristic tech in them, and I don't think I will have any by then either.

Also, if I complete MLB The Show 18 at some point this year, as long as it fits the monthly theme, do I get credit for a retro game if I played the retro mode it has?

Edited by ShogunCroCop

Ah man, I was really hoping that villains would win because I was looking forward to how creative we could get to fulfill the requirement.

Blah, I think going forward I should not announce my plans. I lost all motivation to play Rime the minute I said I would be. That said, I did finish 4 games with beautiful vistas in March but only 100%'d 3 of them. Does that count for 4 games in a month?

• My HCR was Journey (PS4 list), which also fulfilled the over a year ago challenge;
  • 100% Submerged; 
  • Story completion of Abzu (trophy clean up likely this week)
  • Platinum'd A Way Out

@SyIaris Yeah, if we could use the Midnight for Feb that would be even better. Thanks for noticing.

Stats:

Platinum trophies: 38 +5

100% completed: 15 +2

Completion: 34.53% +1.11

22 hours ago, Edunstar84 said:

I've been gone for a whole week and didn't manage to plat anything for March. Don't know what happens when that happens.

Pick a game you played in March (story completion or platinum/100%) to be a stand in for the month. It uses up one of your allotted skips.

To round off march, along with rime I platinumed lovers in a dangerous spacetime, which is a fantastic co-op game with a different art-style, one where the constellations look amazing. This game may need to be clarified. I also got the platinum for rise of the tomb raider, which won best art-direction in 2015 NAVGTR awards. this ticks off the hardcore requirement challenge, and also complete a game when the first trophy you got was a year ago.

Stats at the start of 2018:

Platinum trophies: 48

100% completed: 21

Completion: 58.07%

Stat changes during the year:

Platinum trophies: 56 (+8)

100% completed 21 (+0)

Completion: 60.87 (+2.80%)

Voted for the May poll and went with the majority. While there are a lot of alien-based games, I am not interested in most of them. (MOST of them, I am going to be getting 100% in One-Eye Kutkh, which is about a cyclops alien crash-landing on a planet based on Eskimo mythology. ^_^)

2 hours ago, ShogunCroCop said:

(...)

Also, if I complete MLB The Show 18 at some point this year, as long as it fits the monthly theme, do I get credit for a retro game if I played the retro mode it has?

Nope, the "Retro game challenge" is valid for games that were originally released before 2006 (including remakes, like Shadow of the Colossus or Secret of Mana). Unfortunatelly for you, MLB 18 is not eligible for Golden Stars in "Retro Challenge"...

• Like 1

@JoaoQuique, well done on finishing another game for March's theme! I've updated your stats for you. :) 

@Psy-Tychist, congrats on finishing Puppeteer :)! I've counted it for you for March due to what you said about it. When I was updating your stats I noticed that you haven't got a game down for February, so would you like to use a skip or give us a game that you completed in February. If I've missed your update about it, then I'm sorry about that :facepalm:.

@Kevvik, thanks for the update and the easy copy/paste stats. I've updated those for you. :) 

@MarkusT1992, thanks for the stat update. I've gone and updated those for you. :) 

@ShogunCroCop, thanks for the stats! I've updated those for you. As for your May skip, yeah that's fine, you'll just have to remind me or @SyIaris as I'll probably forget :P.

@XX_FTW, thanks for the stat update. I've updated your stats. :) I'll tell you what, let me know when you've finished Abzu and I'll count it for March's theme which will then guarantee you the 4 games in a month challenge and then I'll update your challenges for you. Oh and I've changed Febs picture for you as well.

@AS_CHAOTIC, thank you for the update! I've updated your stats for you. :) 

• Like 3

There's some kind of voodoo with this thread where one of us is specifically mentioned and the other does the updates. It's rather funny.  :lol:

On 4/1/2018 at 9:32 AM, Edunstar84 said:

I've been gone for a whole week and didn't manage to plat anything for March. Don't know what happens when that happens.

As mentioned, you can sub in something else you've beaten. For instance, it looks like you beat Monster Hunter World last month, so you could sub that in for a silver. There's also no penalty for leaving it empty - heck, I've got zilch for January/February myself. Just lose out on some bragging rights~

6 hours ago, CJ_Mystery said:

One prob with that - I already platinumed all of the Vita LEGO Batman games. (Yes, there are the LEGO Marvel games but I had bad experiences with LEGO Marvel Avengers for Vita and LEGO Marvel Superheroes for Vita is a pale shadow of itself, being a top-down isometric view instead of the 3D view the PS4 version has.)

Ah, are they cut that badly? I do vaguely remember Batman 3 being... not ideal. Shame, but I guess it wouldn't be the first time there's a big difference between console and handheld versions of the same game.

6 hours ago, ShogunCroCop said:

I'd like to use my skip for May. I don't think that at this moment I have games with aliens or futuristic tech in them, and I don't think I will have any by then either.

Got a note down on your list, but we'll leave it like that until you have a game to sub in or otherwise confirm it in May.

To add on; only if that mode's an emulation of a 2005/earlier version.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SyIaris said:

Ah, are they cut that badly? I do vaguely remember Batman 3 being... not ideal.

I was talking about the LEGO Marvel games for Vita, not LEGO Batman 3. That Vita version is pretty decent(they cut and paste the cutscenes from the PS4 version so it's pretty good) but it's a little different that the PS4 version. (No Green Loontern for instance.)

1 minute ago, CJ_Mystery said:

I was talking about the LEGO Marvel games for Vita, not LEGO Batman 3. That Vita version is pretty decent(they cut and paste the cutscenes from the PS4 version so it's pretty good) but it's a little different that the PS4 version. (No Green Loontern for instance.)

Yeah, I was just using the one I'd played for reference - I remembered renting it specifically to avoid the console version's DLC. :)

12 hours ago, SyIaris said:

There's some kind of voodoo with this thread where one of us is specifically mentioned and the other does the updates. It's rather funny.  :lol:

It's like even though we are on different sides of the world, we somehow know when the other is planning on coming and updating the event. It is rather funny. ?