[2017-2018] Monthly Madness

1 hour ago, starcrunch061 said:

Do the folks in Infamous count as supers?

Definitely.

Going to mull about which game I'm going to play myself. Can anyone who's played it tell me if Saints Row: Gat Out Of Hell counts as a game about a super? Seeing as SR IV apparently counts even though it's only in a simulation...

17 hours ago, RizzleAbbey12 said:

@Psy-Tychist, congrats on finishing Puppeteer :)! I've counted it for you for March due to what you said about it. When I was updating your stats I noticed that you haven't got a game down for February, so would you like to use a skip or give us a game that you completed in February. If I've missed your update about it, then I'm sorry about that :facepalm:

I didn't have a game for Feb and I'd like to save my skip for another month.

Thanks for counting Puppeteer btw.

April Update:

I platted Batman: The Enemy Within, which fits perfectly for the theme and fulfills the hardocre requirement. Plus, it was also part of the Spring Fling event. Sadly, the second season wasn't as good as the first one, but still quite enjoyable thanks to characters like John Doe, Harley Quinn, or even Amanda Waller :D .

Stats at the start of 2018:
Platinum trophies: 240
100% completed: 70
Completion: 99.00%
Stat changes during the year:
Platinum trophies: +37
100% completed: +1
Completion: +0.34%

On 3.4.2018 at 2:03 PM, starcrunch061 said:

Do the folks in Infamous count as supers?

The have superpowers so yes.

On 3.4.2018 at 3:05 PM, Riq IV said:

Going to mull about which game I'm going to play myself. Can anyone who's played it tell me if Saints Row: Gat Out Of Hell counts as a game about a super? Seeing as SR IV apparently counts even though it's only in a simulation...

Like in Saint's Row IV you have superpowers in Gat out of Hell. If SR IV counts than this too. This time it is even real. In hell sure, but still not a simulation.

Did I understand the theme wrong? Can we also play games without any superheroes when they are the good guys? For example would L.A. Noire count because you play a cop, which are normally the good guys?

4 minutes ago, MarkusT1992 said:

Did I understand the theme wrong? Can we also play games without any superheroes when they are the good guys? For example would L.A. Noire count because you play a cop, which are normally the good guys?

L.A. Noire isn't enough I think because the theme explicitly calls for superheroes. There are cases of superheroes without superpowers (like Batman), but nobody in L.A. Noire is a super-hero.

20 minutes ago, Riq IV said:

L.A. Noire isn't enough I think because the theme explicitly calls for superheroes. There are cases of superheroes without superpowers (like Batman), but nobody in L.A. Noire is a super-hero.

Laser beams, invisibility, flight, fireballs - there's a ridiculous number of superheroes out there with a crazy variety of powers. Go out there and save some civilians - or maybe set them on fire. We won't judge.

ex: Injustice: Gods Among Us, Prototype, South Park: The Fractured But Whole

Hardcore requirement: Save the Day - The game must be able to be played as a good/pure character. HCR: Must involve your character saving the day in some way.

ex: inFamous, Lego Marvel Superheroes, Saints Row IV

That's what it says in the main post. The bold part was what was in the poll. There wasn't any mentioning of superheroes in the last poll. In fact I have no clue where the first part of the above came from as I read it the first time when the new theme was posted. In my opinion the hardcore requirement in the above should be the normal them. The real hardcore requirement should be the part after HCR as, again, that was what the poll said.

Maybe @SyIaris or @RizzleAbbey12 can clear that up.

36 minutes ago, MarkusT1992 said:

Laser beams, invisibility, flight, fireballs - there's a ridiculous number of superheroes out there with a crazy variety of powers. Go out there and save some civilians - or maybe set them on fire. We won't judge.

Hardcore requirement: Save the Day - The game must be able to be played as a good/pure character. HCR: Must involve your character saving the day in some way.

That's what it says in the main post. The bold part was what was in the poll. There wasn't any mentioning of superheroes in the last poll. In fact I have no clue where the first part of the above came from as I read it the first time when the new theme was posted. In my opinion the hardcore requirement in the above should be the normal them. The real hardcore requirement should be the part after HCR as, again, that was what the poll said.

I don't recall the poll but as it is now, that bit you've bolded is just an HRC to the superhero theme.

44 minutes ago, MarkusT1992 said:

Admittedly I'm a bit confused as well, because the superheroes part wasn't mentioned in the poll.  I just assumed that I would be able to count Kingdom Hearts 2 but now I'm probably going to have to take a skip this month as I don't really have any superheroes games I can play and I've already planned my next few games out.  I mean, I suppose you can loosely say that KH2 has elements of superpowers (like Sora can glide, make a keyblade appear out of thin air etc.)

It looks as though this month has two hardcore requirements - the part you have made bold, and then the part after that which reads HCR: Must Involve your character saving the day in some way

Hoping we can get some clarification :)

• Like 1

I'm going to have to agree with everyone above. There was no mention of there needing to be superheroes, just that your character had to be good/pure. I was hoping to use Mary Skelter Nightmares or Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep but now neither fit the theme. :(

• Like 1

No updates for the moment.

Abbey said she'd come on and rework it. It was my mistake; I don't have anything to go on but what's in the first post, but I should've gone for a delayed rollover instead of posting it on a bad day.

April - Supers

Minor: Bad Guys Have All The Fun - The game must be able to be played as a bad/evil character. HCR: Game must have bad quests for you to complete.

Minor: Save The Day - The game must be able to be played as a good/pure character. HCR: Must involve your character saving the day in some way.

I wound up sticking the whole minor theme in the hardcore line.

Frankly, though, I don't know where the line's supposed to be drawn. I'd like to use the Telltale Batman game we got from PS+ a while back, but Batman's power is "rich guy", so...  :S

I also did not understand that it would be limited to "superheroes", but it's pretty easy to make an argument that various game characters are superheroes despite not being your typical DC/Marvel-esque masked mensch.

Definition:

A superhero is a type of heroic stock character, usually possessing superhuman or supernatural powers, who is dedicated to fighting crime, protecting the public, and usually battling supervillains.

I'm currently playing Asdivine Hearts, and though the main character Zach is not what you would think of when you conjure images of a "superhero", he does fit the definition because he protects the public and fights a supervillain... and he does have super powers:

1. He has "superhuman" strength when it comes to opening doors. They're always flying off the hinges or otherwise obliterated. It's actually a running joke in the game with the supporting characters saying things like, "What did that door ever do to you?!"

But more importantly (don't read if you don't want a spoiler... writing on mobile and it doesn't give me the option to hide it):

Spoiler

2. He was born with powers to be a scion to the light, meaning he has more "supernatural" magical power than any other human apart from the scion to the dark.

I think many games have things like this built into them and, if you can make the argument, should be counted.

I'd also like to point out that the poll title did say "Supers" last month just like this one says "Out of This World".

Edited by eigen-space

3 hours ago, SyIaris said:

No updates for the moment.

Abbey said she'd come on and rework it. It was my mistake; I don't have anything to go on but what's in the first post, but I should've gone for a delayed rollover instead of posting it on a bad day.

April - Supers

Minor: Bad Guys Have All The Fun - The game must be able to be played as a bad/evil character. HCR: Game must have bad quests for you to complete.

Minor: Save The Day - The game must be able to be played as a good/pure character. HCR: Must involve your character saving the day in some way.

I wound up sticking the whole minor theme in the hardcore line.

Frankly, though, I don't know where the line's supposed to be drawn. I'd like to use the Telltale Batman game we got from PS+ a while back, but Batman's power is "rich guy", so...  :S

Every month so far was only the minor. The bold part was only the title of the month. The them that won was

Save The Day - The game must be able to be played as a good/pure character. HCR: Must involve your character saving the day in some way.

That's the same with this month's vote. We vote between Technology or Aliens.

Going with "Out of this world" would mean we could use anything abnormal like zombies or ghosts as the are out of the world, but still aren't mentioned anywhere in the two minor themes.

Regarding Batman he is a superhero even so he has no real powers. Except for his above average strengh.

As it is right now I couldn't do LEGO Harry Potter Years 5-7 as there aren't any "Supers". Althought magic could count.

3 hours ago, Riq IV said:

I don't recall the poll but as it is now, that bit you've bolded is just an HRC to the superhero theme.

As Mesopithecus said we have two HCR in the text. The first is the one I bolded and the second is the one after HCR, namely: Must involve your character saving the day in some way.

Edited by MarkusT1992

I got the remaining optional trophies in Firewatch - so I could be allowed to buy some Assassin's Creed Origins DLC for the backlog prevention event, but this also means I can have a :gold: for this event now :)

5Sc90cc8.png

You're a man who's good at heart (unless you decide to play him as a dick, which I didn't do) who tries to escape difficult depressing issues in his life by being a firewatch volunteer, which has you preventing forest fires and such. Won't count for the hardcore, but it's a great game and I'm happy I can let it count for something.

Technically, those optional trophies were in a DLC pack but it's part of an update, so I don't know if it counts for the "complete all DLC" thing. If it does:

7S731350.png

Finished my first game for this month.

I started with Guardians of the Galaxy from Telltale.

I knew nothing about the Guardians except for Groot and Rocket. And that's only because they were in LEGO Marvel Superheros or LEGO Marvel Avangers as unlockable characters.

During the game I got to like the characters and enjoyed it. I was always more of a Marvel guy than DC. I might even start watching the Marvel movies released in the past few years to catch up on everything.

1Sf1dfd2.png

Next I plan to finish LEGO Harry Potter Years 5-7 before tackling the last unplayed Telltale game: Batman Season 2.

6 hours ago, MarkusT1992 said:

Next I plan to finish LEGO Harry Potter Years 5-7

Good luck on that. I just got the platinum for that and it's very time-consuming. Also, be sure to get all of the detector red bricks, you'll need them to find every last gold brick and character token. :)

I am going to platinum LEGO Marvel Superheroes for my guaranteed entry in this month's theme, but if I can, I'll also platinum LEGO Marvel Superheroes 2 because I wanted to play that game and finally bought the two-for-one deal on the PSN store. (Not going to play the DLC until I can buy it in May.)

14 hours ago, CJ_Mystery said:

Good luck on that. I just got the platinum for that and it's very time-consuming. Also, be sure to get all of the detector red bricks, you'll need them to find every last gold brick and character token. :)

I am going to platinum LEGO Marvel Superheroes for my guaranteed entry in this month's theme, but if I can, I'll also platinum LEGO Marvel Superheroes 2 because I wanted to play that game and finally bought the two-for-one deal on the PSN store. (Not going to play the DLC until I can buy it in May.)

I know, I already finished it 100% on the XBox 360.

LEGO games always take some time, especially the collectables. But I like them so I have no problem with collecting everything. I actually like to collect stuff if I have a map or something else that shows me where to look for them.

@SyIaris, @RizzleAbbey12
Just finished up Asdivine Hearts which counts for both the hc and minor themes.

Minor: Zach is the main character, and he is pretty much the most "good" person you could ever imagine. He is an orphan whose goal in life is to help run the orphanage that he grew up in. He believes the best in people and helps to actually bring out the best in everyone.

HC: The entire game revolves around saving the world from the takeover of the shadow deity after the light deity gets kicked out of "heaven". With the rise of the shadow deity, monsters have grown stronger and attacks more frequent. Zach and his party are attempting to restore the light deity's power and place in heaven so that the balance is restored.

Spoiler

You also find out that the shadow deity is actually attempting to make the world disappear and replace it with a parallel "beta" world. So they are literally saving their world.

Edited by eigen-space