SITE RULES FOR FLAGGING/BANNING

As someone who is new-ish to the forums and only found out the extent of save files being considered cheating by taking it upon myself to read several flagged game disputes out of interest, I agree. I think it would be a good idea to sticky a post in the forums with details for future new members. 

(Not that I would use a save file, but just for someone who is new to the forums, hasn't read game disputes and is generally nonethewiser ^^)

Edited by ahoyimzoe
  • Like 3

I do agree that clearing rôles for White constitutes cheating would help thé moderators job.

It should also include. Procedures on How tout report cheats. How to Know which trophies got reported. What constitutes proofs of innocence and thé procédure to contest à flaged trophy.

Edited by Maitre
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thropy_Hore said:

Everything can be considered cheating if the mob mentality is strong enough. And unluckily for us, PSNP thrives off the mob mentality.

You will get flagged if 1 COD WAW trophy didn't pop when it should've.

You will get flagged if you happen to be skilled enough to do the first COD Classic mission without getting hit.

You will get flagged if your trophies pop 1-2 minutes apart. Not sure why? Faulty PS3 or glitchy game? Who cares – go fuck yourself, cheater.

PSNP is a joke and the leaderboards mean absolutely nothing. Take it in stride and just go to another tracking site.

Exactly why I would like to have rules put in place, this way there is one place to refer to the 10 commandments rather than argue with 10 different gods claiming to be the real messiah.

Rules page please. 

Thank you,

Rellite

7 minutes ago, Azaan60 said:

But then that will fuck over everyone else. All those people who worked hard to get fastest or first 100% will get fucked over by hackers who can claim someone else popped their trophies. The leaderboards for those games will become practically useless. Defeating the whole point. 

When someone gets flagged they're not being flagged for being a cheater, they're being flagged for having illegitimate time stamps that would fuck up the leaderboards. I agree that there should be a list of rules that should clarify this. 

There's already a three strike rule before someone gets removed from leaderboards for situations just like this. 

I don't think I could have said this better so I'll just say " ^^^^This"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I second this bitch.

And also that it should be innocent until PROVEN guilty, not guilty until proven innocent.

The thing is about flagging is that it's not about whether you've cheated or not. It's whether an account has timestamps that would be impossible to earn through normal gameplay. If somebody's trophies have been forcefully unlocked during a multiplayer game, they may very well be innocent of cheating, but they're still guilty of having unusual timestamps. The dispute forum's main purpose is for the community to work out if a set of timestamps could actually be possible, not necessarily to point out the ones who have used hacks because it's not always relevant.

This also means players who haven't cheated may be getting their trophies removed from the site, but it's because their trophies are indistinguishable from those that have been intentionally cheated. It's unfair on them, but if exceptions were being made for people who say they used one of their own save files or were unlocked in a hacked multiplayer game, then we may as well not have any sort of flagging system because most people would be able to claim that.

I do agree that there should be more information given as to why people have been getting flagged. Almost all the disputes I have seen so far were from people who used save files and were confused about what had happened to them.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Thropy_Hore said:

Everything can be considered cheating if the mob mentality is strong enough. And unluckily for us, PSNP thrives off the mob mentality.

Not exactly, PSNP follows Sony's rules about what's considered cheating. Though members can report others and yeah, the flag dispute threads do not depict the best side of the community.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

And also that it should be innocent until PROVEN guilty, not guilty until proven innocent.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the process require one of the admins to go through a flag report and confirm that it looks fishy and the supplied reasons for the flag are confirmed BEFORE the flag sticks and the whole appeals process gets to start?  Sure, the burden of proof for this step might not be as high as some people would like, but it's not quite as easy as someone filing a report and "bam!" the flag is there without further action being necessary.

1 minute ago, acasser said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the process require one of the admins to go through a flag report and confirm that it looks fishy and the supplied reasons for the flag are confirmed BEFORE the flag sticks and the whole appeals process gets to start? 

We don't know for sure if that's how it works. We can only assume until there are rules posted for such a process.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, acasser said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the process require one of the admins to go through a flag report and confirm that it looks fishy and the supplied reasons for the flag are confirmed BEFORE the flag sticks and the whole appeals process gets to start?  Sure, the burden of proof for this step might not be as high as some people would like, but it's not quite as easy as someone filing a report and "bam!" the flag is there without further action being necessary.

This is correct

1 hour ago, Rach said:

Maybe someone like @BlindMango could assist with drafting up a set of rules.  After all he did a pretty good job of rewriting the dispute forum rules (for what it's worth)

I may do something like this, maybe add a second post to that Dispute Rules & Format thread. In the meantime maybe you guys can make some bullet points in this thread of stuff considered cheating you think I may forget. I'm not quite a great an expert with disputes as some of you are!

10 hours ago, Ms Serzilla said:

I'll say in regards to autopopped trophies like COD WAW and Black Ops 2, where the hackers unlock the trophies for people.

EDIT: I'm mixing CoD WaW with Classic. ;D Sorry about that!

CoD WaW isn't like that AFAIK, it's a game with a save file without the usual encryption. People could just download a file and put it inside a folder you already had a copy of a save from that game in, and then just transfer it to your console and use it as normal. Do correct me if I'm wrong about this. This is the case with some few early games. Games like Fuel, FIFA 09, CoD WaW etc, I think LBP2 may have been such a case too, but the three first are very known for this because they had difficult trophies. FIFA 09 and Fuel had trophies that quickly became unobtainable due to the servers going down. CoD WaW had the difficult Veteran playthrough, which doesn't play like the other CoD games due to non-regenerating health etc. Obviously, if I get anything wrong about this, it is because I've not played any of these games or done any of this. :P

EDIT:

SOCOM is another known example, where the online went down.

Edited by MMDE

This thread blew up in a hurry. 

As this thread is trending on the forum politics, I have little to say since I don't dabble with it. 

1 hour ago, Thropy_Hore said:

You will get flagged if 1 COD WAW trophy didn't pop when it should've.

You will get flagged if you happen to be skilled enough to do the first COD Classic mission without getting hit.

You will get flagged if trophies pop 1-2 minutes later than they should've. Not sure why? Faulty PS3 or glitchy game? Who cares – go fuck yourself, cheater.

Hell, you'll even get flagged if you get the Your Worst Nightmare trophy in Ratchet: Nexus  before you beat the game – something that is VERY doable.

PSNP is a joke and the leaderboards mean absolutely nothing. Take it in stride and just go to another tracking site.

This is coming from a guy with a platinum in Super Meat Boy. 

That sucks big time man. Hope you get your issues sorted out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, damon8r351 said:

Common sense is not common, don't leave the rules you're going to enforce to common sense.

Which brings me to this point. In the case of downloading saves and using them, this is usually okay by Sony's rules, but do know that there's an encryption on most of the saves. Even when there's no encryption, you still have to make some manipulation by adding the actual payload file in a folder that has the game id and your id and stuff, not entirely sure, because again, I don't do this. :P

Anyway, as I said, it is okay to download saves and use them. But, doing so will not earn you any trophies, because the system will know it wasn't your save, so it will disable the trophies. For encrypted games there was some early workarounds, like I read about one game that had a trophy patch, you could basically add the save before updating the game, and the save would be recognized by the system as yours. :P 

So how do people use them to earn trophies? Well, they decrypt them, resign them to your own user, and then encrypt them again. This is against Sony's rules. It is pretty common sense that this is not acceptable.

I know downloaded or edited save files usage isn't probably what you refer to here. More than likely you refer to the abuse of your own save files to earn trophies out of order or in impossible order etc. There's generally very little reason why you'd delete earned trophies, just to use your backed up saves to earn them out of order or too fast, other than to mess with the trophies. Here's the question, why would we want these trophies on the leaderboards? Isn't it the site's privilege to decide what we want on the leaderboards or not? Allowing it has negative consequences such as making it near impossible to tell who actually earns trophies using CFW or downloaded or edited save files, so we'd almost be promoting it, and the leaderboards would have a lot more of it. :( Another negative consequence would be that to even get into the leaderboards, you'd have to do shit like earning all your trophies on an offline console, making sure to backup saves right before each trophy, and then using these saves on another console, or delete your local account without synching the trophies and then re-earning them quickly using the save files. Do we want this? Do you think this isn't abusing the trophy system?

Also, I know you've recently been taking a "stance" against boosting, because you want to be a rebellion or whatever (idc). I just want to say that I see it no different than taking advantage of an in-game glitch, which I don't think I've heard much of the community as a whole take a distance from either. :P 

As for having the rules written down. I'm all for it. I've never argued against it. What I have argued for is that it never was okay, and everyone who has done it in the past isn't magically going to be "okay". This goes for PS4 and Vita too. And when people start using CFW and whatnot to pop PS4 trophies, they can easily pop them for earlier times too, and so that won't be some kind of free zone. I know people already hack PS4 and Vita trophies, and it's silly we can't report them yet. It's just it doesn't happen on a large enough scale yet.

EDIT:

If you're worried you'll get flagged or whatever for trophies out of order or using save files and whatnot. Synch your trophies as soon as you earn them. You won't have any issues then, unless the trophies you synch are trophies you or someone else have hacked, downloaded or edited saves etc (stuff that you very much understand isn't okay).

Edited by MMDE

13 minutes ago, MMDE said:

Which brings me to this point. In the case of downloading saves and using them, this is usually okay by Sony's rules, but do know that there's an encryption on most of the saves. Even when there's no encryption, you still have to make some manipulation by adding the actual payload file in a folder that has the game id and your id and stuff, not entirely sure, because again, I don't do this. :P

Anyway, as I said, it is okay to download saves and use them. But, doing so will not earn you any trophies, because the system will know it wasn't your save, so it will disable the trophies. For encrypted games there was some early workarounds, like I read about one game that had a trophy patch, you could basically add the save before updating the game, and the save would be recognized by the system as yours. :P 

So how do people use them to earn trophies? Well, they decrypt them, resign them to your own user, and then encrypt them again. This is against Sony's rules. It is pretty common sense that this is not acceptable.

I know downloaded or edited save files usage isn't probably what you refer to here. More than likely you refer to the abuse of your own save files to earn trophies out of order or in impossible order etc. There's generally very little reason why you'd delete earned trophies, just to use your backed up saves to earn them out of order or too fast, other than to mess with the trophies. Here's the question, why would we want these trophies on the leaderboards? Isn't it the site's privilege to decide what we want on the leaderboards or not? Allowing it has negative consequences such as making it near impossible to tell who actually earns trophies using CFW or downloaded or edited save files, so we'd almost be promoting it, and the leaderboards would have a lot more of it. :( Another negative consequence would be that to even get into the leaderboards, you'd have to do shit like earning all your trophies on an offline console, making sure to backup saves right before each trophy, and then using these saves on another console, or delete your local account without synching the trophies and then re-earning them quickly using the save files. Do we want this? Do you think this isn't abusing the trophy system?

Also, I know you've recently been taking a "stance" against boosting, because you want to be a rebellion or whatever (idc). I just want to say that I see it no different than taking advantage of an in-game glitch, which I don't think I've heard much of the community as a whole take a distance from either. :P 

As for having the rules written down. I'm all for it. I've never argued against it. What I have argued for is that it never was okay, and everyone who has done it in the past isn't magically going to be "okay". This goes for PS4 and Vita too. And when people start using CFW and whatnot to pop PS4 trophies, they can easily pop them for earlier times too, and so that won't be some kind of free zone. I know people already hack PS4 and Vita trophies, and it's silly we can't report them yet. It's just it doesn't happen on a large enough scale yet.

EDIT:

If you're worried you'll get flagged or whatever for trophies out of order or using save files and whatnot. Synch your trophies as soon as you earn them. You won't have any issues then, unless the trophies you synch are trophies you or someone else have hacked, downloaded or edited saves etc (stuff that you very much understand isn't okay).

If these are the rules of PSNProfiles, then these should be posted on the site.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, NathanielJohn said:

In response to BlindMango (sorry, forgot to quote), here is the list of things I can remember that the community seems to have decided upon.

Things that are flaggable here (please do not use the term "cheating" when describing these rules):

• Using someone else's save file.
  • Using your own save file without syncing your trophies in order to earn trophies in an order that is not possible, or in rapid succession that is not possible, through normal gameplay. For example, you may not earn all trophies on PS3, avoid syncing trophies, and then load the save file on another PS3 in order to auto-pop trophies with close together timestamps.
  • Any usage of custom firmware whatsoever.
  • A hacker unlocking your trophies for you (even without your consent) in an online game. This is particularly common in Call of Duty games. If this happens to you, follow the instructions in <link to that other thread>.

Things that are not flaggable:

• Boosting trophies (i.e. playing online with other people in non-standard ways specifically to unlock trophies for each other).
  • Having someone play games and unlock trophies for you via SharePlay.
  • Multiple people playing on the same account (i.e., trophy teams).
  • Auto-popping trophies in games that have a built-in function that permits this via an in-game cross-save function. Examples of games with such a function include Sound Shapes, Sly 4, Motorstorm RC, and Final Fantasy 14.
  • Using turbo controllers/rubber bands/other physical modifications to make unlocking trophies easier.
  • Using in-game glitches of any kind to unlock trophies.
  • Backing up your save file and re-loading it in order to earn "choice" trophies (e.g., to quickly get trophies for 2 different endings in a game) or to make games easier (e.g., to save yourself in games with permadeath).

It's worth noting that taking advantage of exploits in servers such as Red Dead Redemption is not considered cheating since Rockstar refuses to fix it and is now accepted as part of the multiplayer. You can even find it in several guides online including PSNP

• Like 2

I will consider this a partial success. I would prefer these to be posted on the main page as I have never found the need to browse the forums for rules until after I was flagged, and was not aware that this was a possibility as a member of the site. It would be nice to see these rules and others listed in a disclaimer when creating a login for the site, and additionally mentioned or linked to elsewhere on the main page. Thank you for taking the time and consideration to hear me out, and I do appreciate your efforts.

Thank you,

Rellite

Edited by Rellite

I really wish they had a system where you can vote on how reliable people are on the boosting page. I've been screwed over too many times by people who don't show up (people not showing up has happened more then people actually showing up for me) and it would be nice to have a star ranking system like: 1 ★ = not reliable 5 ★'s = really reliable. And yeah I know people have real life issues and stuff that may cause people not to show up. But It still would be a nice implement to the site.

Edit: Didn't realize that was actually a thing now ?

Edited by demonoid321
  • Like 1