Trophy shame?

9 hours ago, DarkSoleride said:

Is that game any good? (Lovers In a Dangerous Spacetime) on PS4 or Vita?

As a game for kids and adults to play together, it's great.

Solo... it's just adequate. The lack of online multiplayer makes getting some trophies more awkward than it should be (e.g. need a second controller). It's not awful; there are just so many games that offer a better single-player experience.

20 hours ago, patrickogorman19 said:

Most gave that have a platnium percentage higher than 50% I have no intreast in playing.Some of my favourite games are ultra rare therefore I'm willing to grind or become good enough at a game to platnium it.

You know, I could maybe kind of understand your opinion if you had only games like Super Meat Boy or something as difficult as that on your list. But when I saw your profile just now there wasn't a single truly challenging game on there. The difficulty rating of your games are easy, a few moderate and you act like some big-shot and hardcore trophy hunter. 

So before you're calling someone else's trophy list a joke and not a real trophy hunter, look at your own list. If easy games make you laugh, you'll find plenty of funny stuff there like your Ratchet & Clank, Far Cry Primal, Rocket League or Far Cry 3 and 4. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rdhight said:

As a game for kids and adults to play together, it's great.

Solo... it's just adequate. The lack of online multiplayer makes getting some trophies more awkward than it should be (e.g. need a second controller). It's not awful; there are just so many games that offer a better single-player experience.

Ah i see excellent thanks for your input cheers!

9 hours ago, iAlphaSoldier said:

You know, I could maybe kind of understand your opinion if you had only games like Super Meat Boy or something as difficult as that on your list. But when I saw your profile just now there wasn't a single truly challenging game on there. The difficulty rating of your games are easy, a few moderate and you act like some big-shot and hardcore trophy hunter. 

So before you're calling someone else's trophy list a joke and not a real trophy hunter, look at your own list. If easy games make you laugh, you'll find plenty of funny stuff there like your Ratchet & Clank, Far Cry Primal, Rocket League or Far Cry 3 and 4. 

You are right. Nevertheless it can be argued that games like far cry 3 are more of a game than my name is mayo. I think the problem he has or many other players have is

that many people only own games because of easy platinums and not because they are actually interested in the game regardless of the difficulty.

Steins Gate is a perfect example for that. On a personal note, I absolutely love the game but it takes approx. 30 hours to complete. However, way too many people buy it only

to skip through it in an hour for the sake of a platinum and miss a fantastic experience (which of course is arguably). It is hard to explain the motivation to buy the game but not really play it. 

Even worse, some buy it like 7? times, due to different region codes. That means 7 platinums without knowing the game if we assume that it is being skipped only for the purpose of getting 7 platinums. I mean, would people buy the same book or movie 7 times but only put it in their shelves without reading/watching it?

No, because that does not "reward" you with anything. A platinum used to give the impression that the player did more, than actually playing through it. This is not the case anymore and that bugs many people. 

Edited by Gommes_
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Gommes_ said:

Even worse, some buy it like 7? times, due to different region codes. That means 7 platinums without knowing the game if we assume that it is being skipped only for the purpose of getting 7 platinums. I mean, would people buy the same book or movie 7 times but only put it in their shelves without reading/watching it?

No, because that does not "reward" you with anything. A platinum used to give the impression that the player did more, than actually playing through it. This is not the case anymore and that bugs many people. 

I have it seven times, well maybe more not sure still have to do another Vita and PS3 stack. To be honest it's pretty weak as far as VN's go,  no lesbianism, tentacle action, wheelchair foreplay or general debauchery. In regards to your argument about buying the same book or movie or concert or private donatation to a cause ( logical extension) then yes many people do, do that. It's those people that help fund the devs/artist that make it so they can go on and make another work. So I guess everyone wins.

Oh and I spent a lot of the time on Steins Gate reading Atlas Shrugged, so I might choose to argue my time platting all those stacks was well spent ?

Edited by CjShai
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gommes_ said:

You are right. Nevertheless it can be argued that games like far cry 3 are more of a game than my name is mayo. I think the problem he has or many other players have is

that many people only own games because of easy platinums and not because they are actually interested in the game regardless of the difficulty.

Steins Gate is a perfect example for that. On a personal note, I absolutely love the game but it takes approx. 30 hours to complete. However, way too many people buy it only

to skip through it in an hour for the sake of a platinum and miss a fantastic experience (which of course is arguably). It is hard to explain the motivation to buy the game but not really play it. 

Yeah, but so what if some people only have easy to plat games? It's their money and time they spent on/with the games and I've said in a different thread before that I have no understanding whatsoever how someone else's trophy list has any effect on others. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gommes_ said:

Based on the posts so far I think most members here understand what arguments are being put forward in terms of shaming trophy lists...the counter point that everyone is basically trying to make is "hey man, everyone plays games differently, no need to shame anyone....we're all gamers here"...we all have our thing that we focus on when gaming (enjoyment, trophies, rarity, leaderboards, cost/value, availability, schedule, simplicity, etc.) and we could all pick each other's lists apart...in my case I could say "tsk, tsk...no gta games...what a shame" and create a thread about it but I couldn't say I'd be surprised if the main consensus was "bam, that's a stupid way to judge people...not everyone likes gta (as much as you)"...if i didn't have the self realization that "yeah, it's true I am needlessly judging people" and continued to stubbornly cling to my silly "no gta = not a true gamer" ideas then that would be on me as the problem would only exist on my end...for some people this concept is harder to grasp than for others and some really feel justified in defending their, what appears to be, somewhat close-minded ideology to the death but that's on them, not us...I can appreciate the passion of both sides of the argument...all I got...

Edited by xL1ghT_By_D3s1gNx
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, xL1ghT_By_D3s1gNx said:

Based on the posts so far I think most members here understand what the op is trying to say...the counter point that everyone is basically trying to make is "hey man, everyone plays games differently, no need to shame anyone....we're all gamers here"...we all have our thing that we focus on when gaming (enjoyment, trophies, rarity, leaderboards, cost/value, availability, schedule, simplicity, etc.) and we could all pick each other's lists apart...in my case I could say "tsk, tsk...no gta games...what a shame" and create a thread about it but I couldn't say I'd be surprised if the main consensus was "bam, that's a stupid way to judge people...not everyone likes gta (as much as you)"...if i didn't have the self realization that "yeah, it's true I am needlessly judging people" and continued to stubbornly cling to my silly "no gta = not a true gamer" ideas then that would be on me as the problem would only exist on my end...for some people this concept is harder to grasp than for others and some really feel justified in defending their, what appears to be, somewhat close-minded ideology to the death but that's on them, not us...I can appreciate the passion of both sides of the argument...all I got...

Fully agree. 

44 minutes ago, iAlphaSoldier said:

Yeah, but so what if some people only have easy to plat games? It's their money and time they spent on/with the games and I've said in a different thread before that I have no understanding whatsoever how someone else's trophy list has any effect on others. 

Sure everybody is free to do whatever they like. But to be honest, this is a public forum and people will always call others out for various reason. Not saying that I support that but unfortunately that's the case. I don't know why it has a certain effect on others, maybe the reason is that working for a plat actually meant "working" for it. And by playing games like mayo it's like taking the shortcut.

I bet if Super Meat Boy or GTA had a platinum which can be achieved in 5 minutes these kind of people would play that. To not implement complex games, just because the platinum is hard, is a pity and also a little hypocritical. Avoiding "good" games on purpose, because a platinum is too hard or takes too much time is what probably annoys many people. And not actually playing games like Steins Gate is another story. That's like paying for a cinema ticket, not seeing the movie but telling everyone you did.  ;) 

Edited by Gommes_

15 hours ago, Spaz said:

And last but not least, a game that takes 100 hours to complete doesn't necessarily have more content per se. It could be grinding the same online maps over and over, playing multiple playthroughs of the same levels. That's not more content, that's just adding more time it takes for the platinum because the trophies require that you grind a lot and play the game multiple times.

Amen to that. I love JRPGs, but let's face it - those "100 hour" games are usually about 20-30 hours, with a boatload of level grinding or other somesuch afterwards. That's fine by me - I like grinding out powerful characters. But it's hardly more "content".

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Gommes_ said:

Fully agree. 

Sure everybody is free to do whatever they like. But to be honest, this is a public forum and people will always call others out for various reason. Not saying that I support that but unfortunately that's the case. I don't know why it has a certain effect on others, maybe the reason is that working for a plat actually meant "working" for it. And by playing games like mayo it's like taking the shortcut.

I bet if Super Meat Boy or GTA had a platinum which can be achieved in 5 minutes these kind of people would play that. To not implement complex games, just because the platinum is hard, is a pity and also a little hypocritical. Avoiding "good" games on purpose, because a platinum is too hard or takes too much time is what probably annoys many people. And not actually playing games like Steins Gate is another story. That's like paying for a cinema ticket, not seeing the movie but telling everyone you did.  ;) 

But what if your goal is only to collect movie tickets, not see movies?...wouldn't it make sense to buy tickets to all of the movies at the theater and watch only one, if any, of them...and if you travelled around the world buying tickets at every theater you could find wouldn't that be epic fulfilment?...do you think they would care if they had tickets for the same "lame" (subjective) movie in 5, 6, 7, etc. different languages?...why judge or shame someone who does this?...OK, you think it's silly, point made...others might give them respect...as I said, I can appreciate that everyone is passionate about their side of the argument...it's great but there's a point where you have to at least listen to an opposing idea and decide whether to accept it or not...certain members seem to be showing a lot of resistance and refusing to accept that ideology other than theirs exists...is it understandable?...yes...is it mandatory?...no...a good way to counter frustration of this kind is to display patience, understanding, and try to keep an open mind...that's all I'm trying to suggest...no one is right or wrong here...

Edit: I'm mistaken, it is not the op showing resistance...only certain members...edited above...apologies...

3 hours ago, Gommes_ said:

Fully agree. 

We all have different tastes and interests. Some people have fun playing a game, some have fun earning trophies and some have fun playing a game AND earning the trophies. But just because you think you should enjoy the game and the trophy hunting doesn't mean others do too. Additionally, you should also consider the fact that there are people who actually like My Name is Mayo and don't just play it for the plat. I know people who don't care about trophies at all but still play it just because of how ridiculous it is. 

If someone gets their joy from having a 100% completion account and they only play easy games I don't see what's hypocritical about that. They still have fun. Maybe even more so than a guy who spends days grinding away at the same game for a trophy that you grow to hate every day a little more. 

5 hours ago, xL1ghT_By_D3s1gNx said:

But what if your goal is only to collect movie tickets, not see movies?...wouldn't it make sense to buy tickets to all of the movies at the theater and watch only one, if any, of them...and if you travelled around the world buying tickets at every theater you could find wouldn't that be epic fulfilment?...do you think they would care if they had tickets for the same "lame" (subjective) movie in 5, 6, 7, etc. different languages?...why judge or shame someone who does this?...OK, you think it's silly, point made...others might give them respect.

Fair point. But since it's so unusual it is only normal to ask for the motive, if someone stumbles over a "behaviour" like this. That's why many people on this page

raise this question over and over again. I am not saying that there is a right or wrong, just something people wonder about.

2 hours ago, iAlphaSoldier said:

If someone gets their joy from having a 100% completion account and they only play easy games I don't see what's hypocritical about that. They still have fun. Maybe even more so than a guy who spends days grinding away at the same game for a trophy that you grow to hate every day a little more. 

If you avoid certain games, even though you want to play them, only because you can't reach 100% it's maybe not hypocritical but you are lying to yourself. (Not you as a

person but in general) 

1 hour ago, Gommes_ said:

Fair point. But since it's so unusual it is only normal to ask for the motive, if someone stumbles over a "behaviour" like this. That's why many people on this page

raise this question over and over again. I am not saying that there is a right or wrong, just something people wonder about.

If you avoid certain games, even though you want to play them, only because you can't reach 100% it's maybe not hypocritical but you are lying to yourself. (Not you as a

person but in general) 

Sorry, you're slowly losing me here..."unusual", "normal" these are such subjective terms...motive?...I want my trophy rank to be as high as possible...i earn as many trophies as I can as quickly as I possibly can...is it really so unusual?...and is it really so hard to understand the motive?...also, is your ideology the "normal" you are referring to?...that everyone must play what you define as quality games to avoid shaming?...you do see how this looks from the outside, right?...I have no idea how you're deciding that people are lying to themselves...are you their conscience?...you've got me confused here...has anyone actually said they're avoiding games they want to play or is this a misinpretation?...it seems to me that most people are saying "I play what I want to" and the reasoning behind which games they choose and how they go about playing them varies...so as we go around in circles I have to wonder if there is a middle ground where we can all say "you do your thing, I'll do mine and we can all respect each and get along despite our differences"?...this isn't unique to Internet forums it's kind of how societies function in my opinion...and we have a lovely society of gamers here...no need to shame our neighbours...often this kind of behaviour only serves to highlight our own flaws not those of the people we are judging...

Edit: to all those shaming people over a trophy collection, here's an opportunity...create an ideal list of the games that you feel are shameless ones and we'll see how many people actually fall into the category of "acceptable" by only having those games on their list...I'm guessing we'll find out the answer is few and far between...

8 hours ago, iAlphaSoldier said:

We all have different tastes and interests. Some people have fun playing a game, some have fun earning trophies and some have fun playing a game AND earning the trophies. But just because you think you should enjoy the game and the trophy hunting doesn't mean others do too. Additionally, you should also consider the fact that there are people who actually like My Name is Mayo and don't just play it for the plat. I know people who don't care about trophies at all but still play it just because of how ridiculous it is. 

I think some of it is also a cultural thing having to do with what games represent. Growing up, I didn't have unlimited games, and I thought of each one as a test where you would invest time and effort toward the goal of "beating the game" or getting 100% completion.

There is a competing culture now where it's more about the game as novelty, game as concept, even game as political cartoon. You look at stuff like Shower with Your Dad Simulator, Totally Accurate Battle Simulator, etc., or PC gamers who just mush a bunch of mods together and laugh at the result. Playing the game doesn't mean the same thing. It's a quick glance in, a laugh, and you go on to the next one, because you have a phone and abandonware and emulators with thousands and thousands of free titles. The concept was funny; that's all that matters. Oh look, this game has penises LOL. And you never play that game again. Oh look, someone went glitch-flying off into the air, LOL. And you never play that game again. And... if that's all that games mean to you, why bother with a Super Meat Boy or Skyrim when you can play all those VNs in the same time? It was never about accomplishment for you in the first place.

Sometimes I just have to remind myself other people are having fun in their own way, and leave them be. Even if seeing the way they have fun causes me to feel a twinge of "You're doing it wrong."

Edited by rdhight
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, rdhight said:

I think some of it is also a cultural thing having to do with what games represent. Growing up, I didn't have unlimited games, and I thought of each one as a test where you would invest time and effort toward the goal of "beating the game" or getting 100% completion.

There is a competing culture now where it's more about the game as novelty, game as concept, even game as political cartoon. You look at stuff like Shower with Your Dad Simulator, Totally Accurate Battle Simulator, etc., or PC gamers who just mush a bunch of mods together and laugh at the result. Playing the game doesn't mean the same thing. It's a quick glance in, a laugh, and you go on to the next one, because you have a phone and abandonware and emulators with thousands and thousands of free titles. The concept was funny; that's all that matters. Oh look, this game has penises LOL. And you never play that game again. Oh look, someone went glitch-flying off into the air, LOL. And you never play that game again. And... if that's all that games mean to you, why bother with a Super Meat Boy or Skyrim when you can play all those VNs in the same time? It was never about accomplishment for you in the first place.

Sometimes I just have to remind myself other people are having fun in their own way, and leave them be. Even if seeing the way they have fun causes me to feel a twinge of "You're doing it wrong."

I like what you've posted here...maybe it might be a cool idea to expand in the reasons we game like you've done...here's my history:

i was 5 when super mario bros came out...I played through the game as it was and had some pretty tough but irreplaceable moments bonding with my brother and friends finishing it...then one day a friend showed me that in world 1-1 there were 1ups to be found and then the epic 1-2 jump above the map and warp tunnels...so began my obsession of wanting to know and achieve everything a game had to offer...over the years I went through a dozen consoles and hundreds, possibly thousands, of games always looking to experience everything a game had to offer...strange as it might be it was just so satisfying...

fast forward 2 decades and we have the introduction of trophies...I still game the same way...the one thing that has changed is this...now when I play I eventually have a look at what can be unlocked in a game and compare it to a trophy list...often the trophy list barely covers anything of what is possible within a game and other times it's spot on with all that is possible or has some extra tasks to accomplish....some concrete examples:

metal gear solid 2 trophy list...you have to complete all the alternate  missions...not enough for me...I gotta have 'em all first place above the developers score (I.e. orange)....collect most of the dog tags...not enough, I want them all...

red dead redemption...no trophy for journal challenges...I got every single one except for the one for achieving a royal flush in poker...spent hours grinding every day with a friend for about 2 months straight for that last damn challenge...data corrupted...all stats reset...gave up...still annoys me...haha...good lesson about backing up saves learnt...

gta iv...excellent list...pretty much forces you to complete everything in game...if you know me, then you know I love the co-op for this game...I've spent thousands and thousands and thousands of hours playing it...no trophy requirement demonstrates that this is the case...

the last of us...didn't think the game was very good but solid trophy list...pretty much covers all the game has to offer...

metal gear rising...covers most of the game but has the added complete the bosses without taking damage stuff...awesome...also s ranked all difficulties for added enjoyment...

I could go on and on about the games i've played but the point I'm trying to make is this: "I'm not even a trophy hunter" and trophy lists don't really demonstrate anything...*gasps from fellow members*...wait, what?...the difference now that we have trophies is that I kind of choose sometimes when a game is grindy or one I'm not really feeling to just complete the trophy list for satisfaction...example:

metal gear solid v: i just spent about 500 hours on this game...I really wanted to develop all the available items but didn't realize what I was getting into...i built 3 fobs which meant weeks of waiting for mb coins and grinding resources, and got my units high up in level only to realize that it would take me months and months more to meet the requirements for being able to develop all the items...the ones I'm missing are basically just for the security teams that protect my fobs should they ever be invaded by other online players...having never been invaded in those 500 hours and not being in love with repeating missions over and over meant "OK bam, the plat is good enough for this one"...I did make sure to do quiet's missions 5 times though and everything else the game had to offer...*winks at those who have played it*...aside from that, a solid trophy list covering all aspects of the game...

I have a pretty unlimited budget when it comes to gaming but an incredibly busy life situation...i have a ton of games (my backlog is currently 100+ games) and no longer want to spend months or years on just a handful of titles grinding out stuff like the above example...I want to play as much of my backlog as possible so choosing to be fulfilled by just completing a trophy list and not all the in game requirements is a kind of compromise that allows me to slowly try out the games i've bought...am i strange?...you bet...do I care?...nope...do i enjoy gaming?...every moment...

so yet another perspective on what trophies mean...to me?...nothing....take them away tomorrow and I'll still be gaming the same way...shame my list all you want...i couldn't care less...truth be told, I can almost guarantee I won't even bother looking at yours unless you seem cool and i'm comparing to see if we have any common games we can co-op together...

side note: have heard more than once "if you're not a trophy hunter then why are you on this site?"...I just consider myself an avid gamer and thought that was a good enough qualification...do I deserve shame for this too?...been around these parts long before trophy shaming was even a thing...haha...all I got...

• Like 3

haha...not recently I don't think...at least not on purpose...did I get a passing grade?...i actually held back a bit on the last one...I'm one of those kind of hyperactive people you might know who talk really fast...it's like 10 seconds of thought to me...surprisingly my listening skills are not terrible...

1 hour ago, grimydawg said:

Folks make a big deal out of nothing.  Play what you like and screw what others think.   The only people who should be ashamed of themselves are these bums who make disputes, knowing damn well they didn't get trophies in a legit manner.  They're liars.  There's nothing wrong with playing easy games. @iAlphaSoldier, if you want I can deal with the bums who bother you on your PSN.  There ain't nothing wrong with your list SMH.  Chances are my list is better than those bums (most people would say that anyway).  Just forget the trash and move on.

@FarSideOfSaturn that game is a classic.  Hope you enjoy it...

Thanks man, I appreciate the offer. But blocking those losers solved the problem (at least for now). In the time it took them coming up with ways to "insult" me I had gotten two new easy plats ?

I now only use the Xbox as a gaming addition and not PlayStation replacement. 

6 hours ago, rdhight said:

Yeah, I like the point you make. I started gaming really young and my tiny child hands couldn't perform the necessary acrobatic skills to finish some of the games so now years later I kinda "try to make up" for that by completing all games. 

So no matter how you approach gaming or trophy hunting it seems it's rooted in your childhood gaming experiences. Or as others have said before some losers use trophies to compare their e-peen that way. I'm sure their mothers are proud of them calling someone a joke for a digital image that literally serves no real purpose. 

• Like 1

On 2017-07-23 at 4:48 AM, DamagingRob said:

Oy vey. This topic again. I'm not even going to bother with a long, thought out post this time. But I'll say this: Kingdom Hearts games are harder and more time-consuming than my soon to be 2 rarest Plats(Starhawk and Transformers: Devastation). Rarity is just another means of measuring your e-peen. Nothing more. 

I don't agree about rarity.

Obviously it's used that way, which is silly. I just personally like to see how many people earn what, particularly in comparison to me. For me, it's not about "ha, I got an ultra rare" or whatever, my ultra rare highlights are all easy grind trophies from Orcs Must Die! Unchained until enough people play to get the rarities up. (though with time investment toward plat, who knows when that'll be)

I just find it interesting. It's why I prefer to see the PSN numbers over here, since it's "more accurate" to "everyone that played the game" (in theory). Always interesting to see the trail off of story related trophies. See how many stuck it out to the end, which ending people chose, whatever.

Trophies are nifty.

• Like 1