No PLAT

DominicanGlory

17 hours ago, Shadiochao said:

It features completely new levels set in some locations from those four games, as well as Sonic CD. It also has a few that are unique to this game. But it's not a collection, it's a brand new game.

The game it self it's very good indeed, even the Green Hill seems a brand new level, with a lot of new ways, really impressive, and the acts are really long.

In theory, games don't NEED to have a platinum trophy to be good or to increase sales, but they most certainly help. If I'm sure I'll like a game, of course I'll buy it regardless of a platinum trophy, but if I'm on the fence, or if there's a crazy sale, a platinum trophy will most likely put me over the edge to purchase it. I find it astounding that Devs still don't understand this. Sonic Mania and the Mega Man Legacy collections should most definitely have platinum trophies just based on game length and content.

Recent example, Night Trap has a platinum trophy even though the Devs thought it may not due to game length. But, now that it has one, it will certainly sell more copies and therefore reach more gamers which is the intent of creating games in the first place. People have various reasons for purchasing games, none of which are "wrong". If you're a Developer with the intent to profit off the game you make, you should want to touch on as many reasons people buy games as possible. Having a platinum trophy should be a no-brainer way to grab one segment of the gaming audience.

• Like 1

Something tells me they probably built this list around Xbox One's achievement system and just slapped trophies to it for PS4. All trophies that have 50GS on Xbox has a Bronze Trophy here anything that has 75GS or higher gets a Silver Trophy. I think that both the Trophies/Achievements were like an afterthought because they focused so much on the game itself and making sure it was the best it could be. 

Like for example Professional Hedgehog if that is completing the game without dying I think should be worth more than a Bronze Trophy/50 Gamerscore.

One thing I find weird is that for PlayStation all the images for each Trophy is different whereas on Xbox all achievements have the same generic image. I even booted up my Xbox One and took a look at one of my friends that has this game and lo and behold they all have the same image of the box art for the achievement. So while PlayStation doesn't have a platinum trophy at least all trophies have different images :D 

In short I think there are some cases where it might not be Sony it could be just the game developers when developing these lists.

Here is a screenshot of what the list looks like from Xbox direct:

2DxaBnC.png

Edited by ScoldingComa7

1 hour ago, ScoldingComa7 said:

Something tells me they probably built this list around Xbox One's achievement system and just slapped trophies to it for PS4. All trophies that have 50GS on Xbox has a Bronze Trophy here anything that has 75GS or higher gets a Silver Trophy. I think that both the Trophies/Achievements were like an afterthought because they focused so much on the game itself and making sure it was the best it could be. 

Like for example Professional Hedgehog if that is completing the game without dying I think should be worth more than a Bronze Trophy/50 Gamerscore.

One thing I find weird is that for PlayStation all the images for each Trophy is different whereas on Xbox all achievements have the same generic image. I even booted up my Xbox One and took a look at one of my friends that has this game and lo and behold they all have the same image of the box art for the achievement. So while PlayStation doesn't have a platinum trophy at least all trophies have different images :D 

In short I think there are some cases where it might not be Sony it could be just the game developers when developing these lists.

Here is a screenshot of what the list looks like from Xbox direct:

2DxaBnC.png

I read that Professional Hedgehog was for completing Titanic Monarch Act 1 without getting hit (not even with a shield), not the entire game

5 hours ago, Divewinds said:

I read that Professional Hedgehog was for completing Titanic Monarch Act 1 without getting hit (not even with a shield), not the entire game

I probably am wrong I haven't gotten that far yet I was just going off the description lol

Edited by ScoldingComa7

5 hours ago, Jare said:

oh btw those not getting because of no plat.

here's a review roundup of its scores https://www.gamespot.com/articles/sonic-mania-review-roundup/1100-6452508/ 

"Notice All the good scores and how they all say it'sa great game"

Thats All!. :popcorn: 

I'm sure they'll play it when you buy it for them. Otherwise, it's their money and they can value things however they deem fit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xeliot said:

Meanwhile My Name is Mayo and games like Goat Simulator have platinums. Not surprised, given that nobody from Sony cares about what goes in and out from the PS Store. 

The game's developers decide whether it gets a platinum or not. Sony has nothing to do with this.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MojoNJojo said:

The game's developers decide whether it gets a platinum or not. Sony has nothing to do with this.

But Sony does have trophy policies and monitor games on PSN. They get to have a saying if a game should or shouldn't have a platinum.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, MojoNJojo said:

That's not true. Ultimately, it's Sony's decision whether or not a game gets a platinum trophy. If it was down to just the developers, every game would have one. The reason why some games like My Name is Mayo get a platinum while games like Sonic Mania don't is down to how much the developers push for one. When told their game can't have one, most developers just accept that and move on, but if a developer is adamant enough about their game getting a platinum, Sony will eventually cave in.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2017 at 2:16 AM, Bullstomp said:

Based on the number of "My Name is Mayo" Platinums tracked on this site alone your estimate is extremely short. Speaking of which, I find it fucking hysterical that some people who have that "prestigious" platinum are posting here that trophies don't  matter. Hypocrite much?

That game is not even a dollar I think, of course trophy hunters are gonna pick it up. If we were to see actual sales figures I'd wager it would be almost entirely comprised of them, but yes I guess that can be a selling point to a certain demographic. I still don't think it's reflective of the gaming populace at large, especially for something like Sonic. 

1 hour ago, MojoNJojo said:

I'm sorry, but you are both wrong. Your statements may have been correct in the past, but Sony changed their policy regarding trophies some time ago. Since then, any game can get a platinum, hence the jokes like my name is mayo.

Source: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1091754

This is true, but Sony still exercises some control over this. After all, they did pull 1000 Top Rated from the store.

16 minutes ago, LunchCannon54 said:

That game is not even a dollar I think, of course trophy hunters are gonna pick it up. If we were to see actual sales figures I'd wager it would be almost entirely comprised of them, but yes I guess that can be a selling point to a certain demographic. I still don't think it's reflective of the gaming populace at large, especially for something like Sonic. 

Perhaps, but the "gaming populace at large" is hardly going to blink at yet another retro rehash. This is for a select group of buyers, which leads me to ask: why not include the platinum, and expand that group? As a fan of retro games, I would personally LOVE to see more people picking them up, and if a whorish plat is the means to that end, so be it.

Also, looking back at the releases of Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 on the PS3, there are ultra rare trophies there, suggesting that the plat would not be a cakewalk (unlike, say, Mayo), so even my calling the plat "whorish" might be premature.

3 minutes ago, TehCro said:

170 posts, maybe about 40 unique posters and like half of em don't care whether or not it has a platinum. Damn look at all them lost sales! I bet they're really kicking themselves now!

By that logic it wouldn't matter if all posters did or didn't buy their game. No.

Its just good business to want to maximize sales and try to tap into every type of gamers tastes to broaden appeal. Broaden appeal, broaden sales. Why would they be ok with leaving money on the table? Its not as if the trophy hunters are casual in their playing habits. We're the ones who are going to be playing this long after all the casuals have had their fun. You would think they would want to appease this minority. And don't act like its just 20 or so sales that are being left on the table. However many it is its money they want. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tonesdad0408 said:

By that logic it wouldn't matter if all posters did or didn't buy their game. No.

Its just good business to want to maximize sales and try to tap into every type of gamers tastes to broaden appeal. Broaden appeal, broaden sales. Why would they be ok with leaving money on the table? Its not as if the trophy hunters are casual in their playing habits. We're the ones who are going to be playing this long after all the casuals have had their fun. You would think they would want to appease this minority. And don't act like its just 20 or so sales that are being left on the table. However many it is its money they want. 

It's a niche amount considering the franchise. It's Sonic ffs, it's going to sell well, trophies or not. Even Sonic 06 made Xbox 360's "Greatest Hits" (their Platinum) for selling over 1 million copies.

1 hour ago, InsaneEnergy3 said:

It's a niche amount considering the franchise. It's Sonic ffs, it's going to sell well, trophies or not. Even Sonic 06 made Xbox 360's "Greatest Hits" (their Platinum) for selling over 1 million copies.

Who cares? Why wouldn't they want more money? 

Its all fine to act cocky when things are going good but don't forget just a few years ago Sonic seemed on his last tired legs and during that period I'm sure Sega was worried about every last sale for their Sonic games. They're not in the clear yet as Forces could easily suck and knock the franchise right back down to Boom levels. In the end its foolish to assume their games will always sell because its Sonic.

Do that enough times and you piss off the real fans who aren't just casual players and then eventually your reputation is so shit even the casuals know to stay away. 

Trophy hunters tend to have high attach rates so you've got to assume that the lack of a platinum does affect sales. I can't tell you how many non-trophy hunters, or even rare gamers, that I heard rushing to buy the Crash Trilogy and were hooked into getting all the platinums. We don't truly know exactly how many more sales they could get but surely Sony, the devs and publishers want to get as many as possible.

Whether the decision ultimately comes down to Sony or the dev, the point I always make is that Sony added the trophy system so they should enforce consistent rules. Just give everything a platinum if you're going to introduce the concept.

5 minutes ago, g-bake_1986 said:

Trophy hunters tend to have high attach rates so you've got to assume that the lack of a platinum does affect sales. I can't tell you how many non-trophy hunters, or even rare gamers, that I heard rushing to buy the Crash Trilogy and were hooked into getting all the platinums. We don't truly know exactly how many more sales they could get but surely Sony, the devs and publishers want to get as many as possible.

Whether the decision ultimately comes down to Sony or the dev, the point I always make is that Sony added the trophy system so they should enforce consistent rules. Just give everything a platinum if you're going to introduce the concept.

It won't affect sales too much.  Let's say this game sales 1 million copies.  Out of the 1 million sold, maybe 5K people would be hardcore trophy hunters.  Folks are going to buy this game in particular because Sonic is one of the gaming icons.  Same with the Crash trilogy

7 hours ago, tonesdad0408 said:

Who cares? Why wouldn't they want more money? 

Its all fine to act cocky when things are going good but don't forget just a few years ago Sonic seemed on his last tired legs and during that period I'm sure Sega was worried about every last sale for their Sonic games. They're not in the clear yet as Forces could easily suck and knock the franchise right back down to Boom levels. In the end its foolish to assume their games will always sell because its Sonic.

Do that enough times and you piss off the real fans who aren't just casual players and then eventually your reputation is so shit even the casuals know to stay away. 

That's because of the quality of the games.  That has nothing to do if games have a platinum or not.

On 16 August 2017 at 2:06 AM, Jare said:

oh btw those not getting because of no plat.

here's a review roundup of its scores https://www.gamespot.com/articles/sonic-mania-review-roundup/1100-6452508/ 

"Notice All the good scores and how they all say it'sa great game"

Thats All!. :popcorn: 

Wait a second you're telling me there's good games without plats!?