No PLAT

DominicanGlory

2 hours ago, Bullstomp said:

It's a concept in sales known as "voting with your wallet." If enough people stay away and don't buy the game, the publisher will eventually have a meeting with their marketing division to brainstorm solutions to drive sales. Then one genius will eventually say "How about giving it a real trophy list with a platinum? It don't cost nothing. . ." And voila, everybody wins.

How do we know it costs nothing? More programming means more testing(or bugged trophies..). That would cost time and money. Probably not much, if games that cost a friggin' dollar can do it. But still.. 

I have no problem playing games with no Platinums. My problem is actually paying for them. When Sonic comes to PS+ I will have fun with it. I have plenty of backlog to keep me going until then.

And if it never comes to Plus? I just don't get missing out on a game you think you'd enjoy, simply because it lacks a Plat. I'm a huge Hitman fan, and would already own that game, if I had an income. As it is, I wait for $20 or less on every game I buy.

Based on the number of "My Name is Mayo" Platinums tracked on this site alone your estimate is extremely short. Speaking of which, I find it fucking hysterical that some people who have that "prestigious" platinum are posting here that trophies don't  matter. Hypocrite much?

I'm as much a trophy whore as the next guy, having bought that and 1000 Top Rated. But they were only a buck. I'll still buy and play games without Platinums, or that I can't complete. I even have PS1, PS2, and PSP games attached to my account. Those don't have trophies at all. 

• Like 1

You guys all realized that people on twitter are now mocking this thread because of how silly some people are acting, right?

I swear, I love trophies a lot and skip out on Switch ports because of Nintendo's stupid decision to not give developers a System OS to work with, but I'm not skipping this because it lacks a platinum. Trophies are trophies and if they're the same tasks as other systems then I'm gonna try for them all regardless.

Edited by TheDreaminHawk
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheDreaminHawk said:

You guys all realized that people on twitter are now mocking this thread because of how silly some people are acting, right?

I swear, I love trophies a lot and skip out on Switch ports because of Nintendo's stupid decision to not give developers a System OS to work with, but I'm not skipping this because it has a platinum. Trophies are trophies and if they're the same tasks as other systems then I'm gonna try for them all regardless.

Of course no on is saying *not* go for them, if you wish. Hell I am doing just that currently with Bully. But just saying a game doesn't have a platinum as the only justification to *not* buy a game.....I don't get.

• Like 1

There isn't even a single gold like most short lists? I think I'm more disappointed in that. Just because the list looks odd to me only having silver and bronze.

Oh well, I'm looking forward to the game still. Happy with the level selection too.

Edited by Dr_Shaneman

4 hours ago, DamagingRob said:

Sometimes people need to hear how ridiculous they sound. They're free to do what they want. They're also free to ignore anyone that questions their decision. But it just seems like a very petty reason to not buy the game. I could fire your question right back at you. Why do you care that we care? 

Your original point was this: "It's sad that people don't think like I do or do what I do." Did you ever think they're sad, because the game might not meet sales expectations? Leading to no more sonic games? I doubt anyone really cares whether someone here buys a game or not. But it's in the success of the game's best interest to do so. 

There have been so many reasons why people have bought or not bought games in the past. I care in this instance because I find it extremely dubious that someone on a site that exists because of trophies, and therefore caters to them, would talk so negatively about people wanting trophies. That is what looks illogical to me. As I mentioned before, I don't see how anyone here is in a position to be criticizing others for wanting trophies.

If the game doesn't meet sales expectations, then that's a problem on Sega's end. They would clearly need to do a better job with the game. People are only going to buy a game if it provides them what they're looking for. And you're not going to be able to force people to buy games for the reasons you want them to.

• Like 1

Honestly, it's not going to matter if this game has a platinum.  The game is still going to sell because it's Sonic, one of the iconic characters in gaming history.  The PS4 is probably about 50 million units sold right now.  I'd say this game may sell 1 million copies on PS4 alone (I'm buying the $70 edition).  There are over 200K members on this site, and maybe 20K are what I would call trophy hunters.    So if 5K people don't buy this game because it doesn't have a platinum, so be it.  It's not going to be affecting anything.  

500 Retweets and 800 likes, uh oh, looks like you guys went viral xD 

Really though, what kind of process does Sony go through to determine that trash games like 1000 Top Rated get a platinum but to give a big fat "no" to this game?

Edited by BlindMango

7 minutes ago, BlindMango said:

500 Retweets and 800 likes, uh oh, looks like you guys went viral xD 

Really though, how do trash games like 1000 Top Rated get a platinum but Sony gave a big fat "no" to this game?

Some of those reactions :facepalm: it's like they don't understand people can have a different opinion than them and they need to feel superior by attacking others... they'd fit in nice here :awesome:

• Like 4

My question is.....

Why no gold trophy? 

I'm still buying this game regardless but I'll never understand why there isn't at least one gold trophy or platinum. For me it doesn't matter if it has a platinum or not if I like the game or want to play it I will buy it.

If you want to play a game that reminds you of the 16-bit era of gaming that comes with a shiny platinum I recommend Flinthook. (And yes I have this game but its on my alternate PSN account until I decide to go 100% for the platinum)

Edited by ScoldingComa7

2 hours ago, madbuk said:

"this treatment"? You can still have a lot of fun getting 100% in this game and Mega Man, why does it need to have a platinum to make you hyped? Megaman and Sonic Mania are both products of a different time and are smaller titles. There's nothing wrong with this. But it means they shouldn't have a platinum, platinums should be reserved for big games like Sonic Forces, the next mainline Sonic entry.

Yes absolutely, I have an amazing time playing my PS1, Nintendo Wii or whatever. Thats not my point at all. 

I ask you back, why should platinums be reserved for "bigger" titles? Doesn't Shovel Knight deserve a Platinum trophy as it basically pays homage to a different time and since its a smaller title? 

Technically if we're talking about "smaller titles", should the Order 1886 and Hellblade have platinums since both are super short?

Yeah, I feel like any game should have a plat trophy wheter its My Name Is Mayo or God of War. Im still about as hyped as I was before for Sonic Mania, but its still a huge dissapointment for me that it doesn't have a platinum trophy and apperently a whole lot more people feel the same as I do which should say something. 

If this was a year back it wouldn't have been as big, but the fact is that we know that any and every game can have a plat if the developer tries to get it thanks to tons of small super short titles that has plats.

And finally, a lot of people seem to "not understand" why some think this is important. Sure, but why fight back? There is a huge group that finds this to be a problem, you always hear that you should adress your complaints to a developer when you have one, and parts of the trophy community is and I think that is amazing. If you don't care fine, but it doesn't hurt you that others do :)

Edited by MarsipanRumpan
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, MarsipanRumpan said:

Yes absolutely, I have an amazing time playing my PS1, Nintendo Wii or whatever. Thats not my point at all. 

I ask you back, why should platinums be reserved for "bigger" titles? Doesn't Shovel Knight deserve a Platinum trophy as it basically pays homage to a different time and since its a smaller title? 

Technically if we're talking about "smaller titles", should the Order 1886 and Hellblade have platinums since both are super short. 

Yeah, I feel like any game should have a plat trophy wheter its My Name Is Mayo or God of War. Im still about as hyped as I was before for Sonic Mania, but its still a huge dissapointment for me that it doesn't have a platinum trophy and apperently a whole lot more people.

If this was a year back it wouldn't have been as big, but the fact is that we know that any and every game can have a plat if the developer tries to get it thanks to tons of small super short titles that has plats.

Because it devalues the type of trophy. Last gen, a profile with a high platinum count used to be impressive.

Now, it's just like whatever because practically every game has one now regardless of content, length, or production value. You used to be able to see an account with 100+ platinums and be pretty confident it would be impressive without even looking. Now, there's so much shit out there like Mayo that you can never really be sure, so 100 isn't a high number anymore, it's common place.

Platinums are no different to a bronze, silver or gold trophy now, essentially.

The Order I'm a bit conflicted on. It's an AAA production, and it is high quality. It's not really comparable to a mini side project like Sonic Mania. I concede your point that it is a short game, but I think the amount of money and time that went into it, the "scope", if you will, is large enough to warrant one. But I'm not sure, Order is a bit of a grey area imo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GameOverComesAll said:

There have been so many reasons why people have bought or not bought games in the past. I care in this instance because I find it extremely dubious that someone on a site that exists because of trophies, and therefore caters to them, would talk so negatively about people wanting trophies. That is what looks illogical to me. As I mentioned before, I don't see how anyone here is in a position to be criticizing others for wanting trophies.

If the game doesn't meet sales expectations, then that's a problem on Sega's end. They would clearly need to do a better job with the game. People are only going to buy a game if it provides them what they're looking for. And you're not going to be able to force people to buy games for the reasons you want them to.

You do realize, this isn't the first time a thread has come up with people criticizing people for their tastes in trophies? You usually find me on the opposite side, 'cause I'm a Platinum whore. :P 

But avoiding a game you want, simply because of the trophy list, just doesn't make sense to me. If you really wanted to play it, that shouldn't matter. But to each their own. Just going to be something we have to agree to disagree on. I don't even like Sonic, and won't be buying this. But I hate to see someone pass up something they'd enjoy, for something that doesn't really effect the game.. 

Welcome to the internet where opinions mean f*** all.

Anyways, plat or no plat I'm still getting this game. If you don't wanna buy this game because it doesn't have a plat that's fine. Do what you wanna do with your money. I'm not gonna lose sleep over it. I think it's kinda stupid but hey I can't really judge. We're all trophy hunters here. We all want different things out of our games.............. The trophy list is a bit disappointing though.

6 hours ago, Geodude said:

How the hell did this get over 100 replies? :facepalm:

It's easy. Start a thread in any game that doesn't have a plat and type in "NO PLAT!" and boom. You guarantee to get many replies. 

To get even more replies type in your honest opinion (why you hate games with no plats) and you bound to get shit on but don't worry because it's their opinion also

That's all there is to it. Hope this helps ;)

• Like 1