What Platinum are you most proud of?

Kerwan_Ratchet

Once again, there is nothing false or arrogant about the conclusions one can draw from a player's trophy list - in the same way that a prospective employer isn't being "false" or "arrogant" by looking at your qualifications when he decides if you should have the job - you could be the most wonderful person on the planet but if you can't prove it on paper then of course you won't get the job. The same principle applies entirely to a gamer's skill. Trophies are meant to be accolades of your prowess and skill in gaming, that is their purpose, and to use them for that exact purpose is just good sense, not arrogance.

Actually yes, it is false and arrogant to judge anyone by their trophy collection. I know dozens of folks who are exceptional online gamer's but rarely touch the single player campaign on their games, or vice -verse. So these folks would be, in your opinion, less skilled or experienced gamer's based solely on their trophy count?

Arrogant and false.

There are many more, like myself, who have been gaming for decades, well before trophies were even a consideration in regards to gaming. We have played and finished some of the most difficult games one could imagine. But again, by your way of thinking, as how we don't have trophies to prove our "prowess and skill", we too must be lacking and unskilled gamer's.

Arrogant and false.

What of those who just do not enjoy certain types of games, but enjoy gaming as a whole. Once again, by your standards, these folks are also lacking in any skill or "prowess" due to the fact that they don't have certain trophies you deem "respectable".

Arrogant and false.

There are also others who do not have 8, 10 or 12 hours per day to play video games. As hard as it is to believe to a 18 year old, there are many folks who have families and other commitments that prevent them from putting in the time required to earn many of the more difficult trophies. There are some here who, between work and family, are lucky to see 8 hours of gaming a week, let alone in a day. Again, you would consider these folks less skilled and lacking in any "prowess" because their trophy card does not have the trophies you deem are needed to prove so.

Arrogant and false.

So yes, a Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 plat is worth more than Hannah Montana's easiest trophy, because we as a community give it that worth, because this is how the world works.

No, you and others like yourself give it that worth. I know many gamer's with huge Platinum trophy counts who do not feel this way. Unlike yourself, they play the games they enjoy and earn the trophies they like to suit what they enjoy, not to try and impress others. In return, they allow others to do the same thing. They have long ago learned the difference between pride in their achievements and arrogance. They can be proud of their trophy collection while retaining that bit of civility that prevents them from diminishing others' pride in their trophy collections...regardless of what those trophies are.

So yes, there are still many of us who could give a Tinkers-Damn about what trophies others do or do not have. We are called Gamer's, and we support other gamer's and their enjoyment of playing games, plain and simple. We don't judge, we don't speculate, and we don't diminish nor ridicule other gamer's because their personal choice, skill or trophy collection in games is not the same as ours.

For any of those gamer's out there who enjoy gaming and earning trophies, whatever trophies/games they may be, there are plenty of us out there who give you a thumbs up for supporting gaming, as both an industry and a fun way to relax. Never let a narrow-minded few try and take that away from you.

Rah rah rah rah.

I challenge you, go to an employer to get a highly qualified occupation like, say, a doctor or dentist. Don't present them with a shred of evidence that you're qualified for the position, but bang on about anecdotes of times you saved people's lives.

See if you get the job.

You won't, because the doctor has no evidence of these anecdotes, and therefore it is a perfectly valid assumption that you are, in fact, not qualified.

Nothing arrogant or false whatsoever.

It may shock you to learn that people lie. I could tell you that I beat Battletoads using a Dance Dance Revolution dancemat whilst blindfolded, it doesn't mean that I actually did. People would assume that I did no such thing were I not to provide them with any evidence, and rightly so! To assume I did not is not arrogant and false, it's common sense, it's the way the world works.

In fact, looking at the percentage of people who have done things such as got the plat in GH Van Halen or NGS2, the only sensible default position is to assume that people are not capable of these things unless provided with evidence that they are, in the same way that the law states people are innocent until proven guilty. What you are trying to do is go against the grain of absolute sense and declare "no, everyone is capable of the most incredible feats of skill and dexterity unless proven otherwise, based on solely their word".

No. That's not how the world works. That's not how the world works. I want you to read that last sentence until you understand that that's not how the world works, lest you ever get given something like jury duty and your reverse-logic condemns an innocent man simply because you expect the burden of proof to go backwards.

Some quick clean-up: It has nothing to do with trophy count, but the particular trophies, count is irrelevant, I never mentioned count. Not all games are difficult, if people choose only to play games that are easy then that is reason to suggest that they lack skill to beat harder games. Perfectly valid assumption. Some of the most difficult trophies on the PSN such as Beat Zico can be done in two minutes, it's not an issue of time at all, and again, it's a perfectly valid conclusion to draw that people can't do things if they have no proof of being able to do them, that's the way the world works. Nobody's diminishing anyone, I only said that all trophies are not equal, in fact the only one "diminishing" anyone is you throwing about the word "arrogant" repeatedly. You would be called "gamers", not "gamer's", there's an excellent tutorial on the use of apostrophes just a Google search away, you know!

Again, nobody's diminishing everyone (except you and your favourite word "arrogant"), the fact that I'm going to the University of Oxford doesn't mean I look down on my friends who aren't, people who are more skilled don't look down on others just because they acknowledge that their trophy collection is more impressive than others'. You paint this ridiculous picture that everyone with a high level of skill and the ability to prove it automatically scorn everyone without such skill and proof. That's just a lie. The majority of us are perfectly happy for you to play what you want, but don't expect us to think you're skilled if all your trophies are from Disney film tie-ins, because it's not a valid conclusion to draw. We don't care if they're skilled or not, but it doesn't change the reality of how skilled they appear to the world.

That's the last I have to say on the matter.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Dead Space 2 - The game was hell on 'Hardcore'

COD Classic - Classic on Veteran makes WAW look like a walk in the park.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - This game wasn't too hard, but was really fun to plat and I got 100% for it. (612 out of 15.822 owners have 100% B) )

My 3rd proudest..... Bioshock 1 at 100% :D doing that challenge in 15 mins was tough

2nd proudest....... Deadspace 2, i was proud to do it without buying the upgraded damage weapons :D

1st proudest.... Vanquish, i actually didnt find it very difficult but im proud because of how difficult other people make it out to be :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I'd say I'm most proud of my Ghostbusters Platinum. That one took me FOR-EV-ER to get the online trophies. Soon I'll be going for the Shadow of the Colossus Platinum though. I only have one trophy left to go (frickin' 3rd Colossus in Hard Time Trial). Then that one will probably be the Platinum that I'm most proud of.

TMNT4LIFE.png

• Like 2

A couple for different reasons :)

3d Dot Gameheroes-this is my most difficult platinum and I am extremely proud of it because it was the plat that made me realize that even if a platinum is considered hard, I shouldn't avoid it. I sat at 27% done in this game for 2 years until I finally decided to go back and beat it. I have since started going for Resistance 2 (which sat at 0% for 2 years) and other tough plats.

EA Sports Active 2-This is my rarest plat (at .46%) and I am proud to have gotten it. I am #17 in the world to get it and now that the servers are down, if you haven't gotten the 1 online trophy then you cannot get the plat.

Tony Hawk Ride and Shred. First off Tony Hawk Ride was my first trophy guide written and secondly these two games symbolize what can be achieved if you put your mind to something. I will admit that there was some cursing done while playing and i nearly broke my neck while attempting some of the stupid tricks, but in the end I can enjoy 2 shiny platinums ^_^

Edited by Dr_Mayus
  • Like 1

Really hard to say what would be my proudest platinum, but I think it is probably Cross Edge or Star Ocean, closely followed by GTA4, GT5, Disgaea 3, Disgaea 4 and Wipeout...

All were hard, and most took a stupid amount of time (only Disgaea 3 was somewhat quick at 100 hours, but that was because I had spent 200+ hours before the trophy patch was done...), some weren't exactly hard but an endless grind, being Cross Edge the worst grind of all (even if it wasn't as long as Star Ocean, it felt that it was worst)..

• Like 2