Final Fantasy IX out NOW for PS4 worldwide!

Venocide

I guess I'm in the minority, FF IX was my least favourite of the PS1 era Final Fantasy games, partly due to it's overall character designs, which look extremely goofy when compared to VII and VIII, and thankfully they haven't used that design style since then, it looks atrocious to me. The plot was another thing I didn't like about it, I found it dull enough to the point where I stopped part way through disc 2 and haven't touched it since.

56 minutes ago, Lady Blanc said:

I guess I'm in the minority, FF IX was my least favourite of the PS1 era Final Fantasy games, partly due to it's overall character designs, which look extremely goofy when compared to VII and VIII, and thankfully they haven't used that design style since then, it looks atrocious to me. The plot was another thing I didn't like about it, I found it dull enough to the point where I stopped part way through disc 2 and haven't touched it since.

So your one and big issue is the art style? :S I really like the art style, it very much fits the world, just like I think the art style in FF7 fits that world great. FF8 is pretty good too IMO. I wouldn't say it's goofy, but more light hearted, which is great after how serious FF8 was. The plot line has a pretty light hearted presentation as well, but below that it's pretty serious. I think FF9 focused a lot on the characters and their development. It was a trip back to the older games, with plenty of easter eggs, references and even the entire medieval world reminded you more of the older games. Not too many knows this I guess, but I'm pretty sure they started working on FF9 before FF8, which left the game pretty damn polished. They went back to more traditional character classes, but still kept a lot of customization and choice, even when it comes to stats upgrade paths. FF9 really had everything that made the series great, and sadly they've gone more and more away from everything that since.

Honestly, FF12's art style isn't that different, though just way more MMORPG generic and boring. Don't get me started on the art styles in FF13. :( Nah, the newer stuff has less personality. The art style is one thing I think they won't nail in the FF7 remake.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MMDE said:

So your one and big issue is the art style? :S I really like the art style, it very much fits the world, just like I think the art style in FF7 fits that world great. FF8 is pretty good too IMO. I wouldn't say it's goofy, but more light hearted, which is great after how serious FF8 was. The plot line has a pretty light hearted presentation as well, but below that it's pretty serious. I think FF9 focused a lot on the characters and their development. It was a trip back to the older games, with plenty of easter eggs, references and even the entire medieval world reminded you more of the older games. Not too many knows this I guess, but I'm pretty sure they started working on FF9 before FF8, which left the game pretty damn polished. They went back to more traditional character classes, but still kept a lot of customization and choice, even when it comes to stats upgrade paths. FF9 really had everything that made the series great, and sadly they've gone more and more away from everything that since.

Honestly, FF12's art style isn't that different, though just way more MMORPG generic and boring. Don't get me started on the art styles in FF13. :( Nah, the newer stuff has less personality. The art style is one thing I think they won't nail in the FF7 remake.

Read my post again, I also had an issue with the plot if you read my entire post, or was stopping partway through disc 2 and never touching it again not enough of a hint there? FF IX's plot felt very generic and bland to me, it was just the stereotypical JRPG plot line, at least VII and VIII were a bit more unique with both plot and setting. The only issue I had with XIII's art style was the summons, who came up with the not-so-brilliant idea of turning the summons basically into Transformers?

I can understand not mentioning XI or XIV there in your post since they're MMOs, despite being main entries, but not mentioning X and it's art style?

2 hours ago, Lady Blanc said:

The plot was another thing I didn't like about it, I found it dull enough to the point where I stopped part way through disc 2 and haven't touched it since.

FFVIII is my favorite, but if you finished FFIX you probably would have enjoyed the plot and backstories wayyyy more. It does get slower in disk 2, but I guarantee you would have had fond memories after(unless you did a lot of the side quests(chocobo digging for one) some of those were just downright grindy and boring). 

But ya definitely try to make it to the end. I highly recommend playing it. 

1 minute ago, Lady Blanc said:

The only issue I had with XIII's art style was the summons, who came up with the not-so-brilliant idea of turning the summons basically into Transformers?

This and a lack of a world map are my biggest complaints for anything past FFIX. 

I was very disappointed in FFX summons(not all) when I first played, I like the more realistic animal versions wayyy better. They just seem way cooler to me. Especially FFVIIIs summons(even if they're not incredibly useful for most of the game)

FANTASTIC NEWS!

I love FF, and I absolutely love this game. I've already finished FF7 around a dozen times on every platform that it's on, and I was absolutely dying for them to port this and VIII.

FFVIII is my absolute favourite of the series and I hope they still port it, but I can't say no to any of the PS1 FF games, I'd play them again and again no questions asked.

Other than the skipping thing (absolutely awful and it has destroyed my thumb and sanity on many an occasion) I don't really mind what they throw out on the trophy list, I'm all up for a challenge as I've done everything in this game 10 times over!

So hype!

8 minutes ago, Xeliot said:

Ah btw, FF9 is coming out today.

In Japan it's confirmed today, there doesn't seem to any confirmation for NTSC/PAL regions yet.

• Like 1