Post your newest 100%

Aexuz

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

spacer.png

Two Worlds Two

I got the platinum 10 years ago and now finally I went back and got the only DLC trophy with help from the sessions here, it feels nice seeing that S.

Edited by JAK-KRIEG
Fixed typo
  • Like 4

First of all, thanks @Leesider 

spacer.png

A Building full of Cats a very simple game that you can complete in a couple of hours. The point of the game is simply to search for cats in each floor for a total of 5 (+1 special floor). I have to say that at the end of the game I wanted more, played with my girlfriend (a cat lover) we were able to finish it in 2 days and even she wanted more simply because is approachable even for a non-gamer and for us trophy hunters isn't something stressing like a lot of games that we play, just start and enjoy the game like we did 10-20 years ago, no stress, no guides, just a simple and good gameplay.

Edited by Sailar91
  • Like 3

1f4af.png 726

Lb82f08.png

Arcade Archives: Tetris: The Gand Master

One of the more notable games to come to Hamster's stable of Arcade Archives releases, Tetris The Grand Master is the first in a series of Arcade Tetris releases, previously exclusive to Japan.

Released in 1998 in arcades, prior to this release, Tetris The Grand Master was very difficult to find, and arcade boards sold for thousands of pounds.

It is considered a very good Tetris release by the community, though in many ways, the most notable element of TTGM (and the second game, TTATGM2) via Hamster, is that good sales may eventually lead to a port of TTGM4 - roundly considered to me the best arcade version of Tetris, period.

Tetris The Grand Master, as compared to something like Tetris Effect, is, of course, relatively slight in terms of game offerings, featuring as it does, 3 basic modes:

"Original" Mode - The original Arcade version, allowing for drop-in local 2 player.

"Caravan" mode - a variant requiring a High Score in a set 5-minute game.

"High Score Mode" - A version similar to "Original" Mode, but featuring Ranked scores, playable in "standard" mode or 20G Mode.

That 20G mode is notable here, as (as far as I understand,) Tetris The Grand Master represents the first introduction of 20G play in Tetris. 20G, for anyone not in the know, is Tetris of the most brutal style - pieces have no visible "fall" - they appear instantly at the bottom of the stack, already fallen, and the only time the player has to chose placement is that afforded by the "Lock Delay" - the brief moment between the piece connecting with another piece, and it locking in place.

That 20G was introduced in Tetris The Grand Master does go hand in hand with its variant of the "lock delay" mechanic. Tetris The Grand Master  has what feels like a slightly strange, loose "lock delay". Blocks feel quite "slippery" when the first connect, allowing for fairly free movement for a beat of time, followed by a quick, sticky, snappy lock accompanied by a fairly loud "crunching" sound effect to confirm placement.

It's a lock delay that can feel a little odd to get used to at first, particularly for players used to other Tetris variants, however, it comes to feel pretty good quite quickly. While it's not an implementation I would necessarily welcome in more modern Tetris versions, as it can make the pice placement feel a little too loose and make solid placement a little finicky due to the pieces feeling oddly "light", I think it works well for this particular game.

In regular, non-20G modes, Tetris The Grand Master is interesting too.
There is a very wide delta between speeds - the game works on a "Rank" rather than a straight "speed" acceleration, and so the smooth gradient of speed increase that most Tetris variants use is abandoned, in favour of a more "stepping" approach. Moving up a rank changes speed quite significantly and is accompanied by a speed increase equivalent to 3 or 4 speed increases in standard Tetris. The speed with which the player accelerates towards the highest speeds is magnified, and the game becomes very chaotic very quickly!

On the other hand, however, speeds are not purely in "one direction" in Tetris The Grand Master, but rather, in "waves". While the game gets brutally fast very quickly, it them slows back down at different intervals, giving a more "ebbing and flowing" relationship to the gravity than a straight ramp. It's a very unusual mechanic to get used to, but does certainly create some cool situations. Where the mediocre player (like myself!) will be desperately trying to handle the extreme speed, that is not simply to add a few additional points before an inevitable game-over. Rather, it is to "surf that wave" and try to hold on until the speed slows again, and they can get their bearings, and play some down-game to correct errors they have probably made!

There is an extremely fast left/right piece movement on display here - pieces can be shunted form one side of the field to the other almost instantaneously, and this allows the player to deal with the frantic, frenetic high speeds far more comfortably that they could in, for example, Classic Rules NES Tetris. However, this comes with some issues . Because the slide form left to right or right to left is so speedy, the player needs to be really on top of placement - any muscle memory they have of how long to hold left or right to accelerate to specific spots from other Tetris variants will be out the window, and they need to re-learn these timings, or be much more careful about using discrete, single-square "bumps" to place pieces at high speeds!

In terms of randomisation of pieces, Tetris The Grand Master is very curious. It is pre 7-Bag, (the randomising smoother that all Modern Tetris releases use,)...
... but not as brutally unforgiving as NES Classic Tetris.

It's essentially non-7-Bag, but with a buffer randomiser filter of 4 pieces. 
Pieces are chosen at random in the background, however, each randomly chosen piece is checked against the last 4 drawn pieces, and if that piece is found, it randomises again... but only a set number of times. If the same piece is randomly chosen multiple times, it will still present it, but only after at least attempting to smooth the piece dispersement.

In effect, while this does smooth the randomiser somewhat - encouraging a smoother distribution of pieces - it is more effective at preventing piece gluts, than alleviating piece droughts. 

While this 4-check system can help to break the back of truly spiteful randomness, it is not predictable in the same way 7-bag is, and therefore requires more "Classic" Tetrisstyle building than "Modern" Style, and many "modern" Tetris tactical builds (T-Spin Factory, for example,) are not viable here.

Visually, Tetris The Grand Master is, of course, pretty rudimentary, given that it is a faithful port of a 1998 variant, but it does what it needs to do. The playfield is clear, and the piece colours are the standard colour scheme (that of Sega's 1988 release, which have become the defacto standard in virtually all releases since.) 
The visual effects on line clears and tetrises are nice and simple - but effective.

One notable visual signature Tetris The Grand Master uses, is placing a thick, dynamic white outline around the placed pieces, which reshapes and moulds around all locked pieces. This makes it very easy to see, without having to focus, exactly where any errors have left gaps in the build, and exactly where the well the player has built begins and ends. 
It is is a kinda cool effect - if there was any element of TGS I think the mack-daddy release of Tetris - Tetris Effect - could do well to introduce, it would be this - adding the option to have the same dynamic white line outline on the build playfield.

Audio is simple - the game sounds pretty good - faithfully recreating (I assume) the arcade feel, and the background music is suitably frenetic and exciting. 
Sound effects on gameplay elements are fine, and do what they need to do...
...though of course, judging Tetris visuals and audio for older releases in an age where Tetris Effect - with its auditory and visual stylings and cornucopia of lights and sounds - exists, leaves all previous releases looking a bit drab by comparison!

Overall, Tetris The Grand Master is never going to be the Tetris Release that draws the non Tetris player into the game - it is slight in offering as compared to fully fleshed out console versions, and features little in the way of "easier" modes for the novice to practice on - but it is a very welcome release of a much loved, and previously very difficult to find, version of the game.

Hamster's entire philosophy is faithful recreations of games that were previously difficult to find - particularly in the West - and Tetris The Grand Master is a perfect addition to that. It's a version that will not likely be appreciated for what it is to the majority of players...
...but for those with an interest in the Tetris scene, or in Tetris history, Tetris The Grand Master is a significant link in the chain, and having a way to experience it for the pice of a couple of cups of coffee is something of tremendous value.

(For original review and Scientific 1f609.png Ranking see HERE )

• Like 1

1f4af.png 727

L5087c8.png

Arcade Archives: Tetris: The Absolute: The Gand Master 2 Plus

Hamster continues its faithful re-releasing of near forgotten Arcade classics, with the 2000 released sequel to Tetris The Grand Master... the absurdly titled Tetris The Absolute The Grand Master 2 Plus.

Like the previous game, Tetris The Absolute The Grand Master 2 Plus was an Arcade-only release of Tetris, released only in Japan, and uses much of the same core fundamental variants of the game that the original used, with a few new flourishes.

The core gameplay is very similar to the predecessor. The game features the same "lock delay" parameters, with a particularly "slippery' feeling upon initial contact, followed by a crisp, quick lock that feels quite good once gotten used to. 

The game retains the "rank" system, as opposed to the more standard "smooth curve" gravity increase, resulting in a much faster, (and certainly more Arcade-friendly and feeling,) ramp up to chaotic fast Tetris play, as well as the "ebbing and flowing" dynamic changes is speed, where the speed increases and decreases dramatically at different intervals. 

The game also introduces something that was lacking in the original Tetris The Grand Master game - player-driven insta-drop (activated, here, via "up" on the D-Pad) - a mechanic that virtually all modern Tetris games have, the absence of which was felt in the original for any player coming to it with more modern Tetris sensibilities...
...(which is almost certainly the majority of the audience for this release, given the rarity of the original game prior to this release!)

The game also still uses the non 7-Bag, but 4-piece-check system debuted in Tetris The Grand Master (see that review for details of that.)

This release features 3 main modes:

"Normal" Mode, wherein the game is largely familiar to players of Tetris generally, and of Tetris The Grand Master specifically. 
There are a couple of notable twists, however. Every so often, the game will slow and present a special piece. If at least one line is cleared using this piece, a bonus effect is granted - Either "shaking" the board (wherein all "floating" pieces left by mis-placements are "shunted" downwards, re-aligning a smoother, less fragmented stack, or and clearing random lines from the stack.

"Master" Mode is the more "expert" level Tetris mode. 
This mode abandons the special bonus pieces, and instead, plays morel like classic Tetris.... but features a massive acceleration after 500 lines. As lines are cleared, a countdown timer ticks down, and the speed increases exponentially, with an accompanying intensifying of the music... and of the background pulsing and warping!

The final mode is something genuinely terrifying, even to the Tetris competent... the aptly named "T.A. Death Mode"!

This is a mode so brutally ridiculous, that it is considered one of the hardest challenges in Tetris... and to the average player, simply looks impossible! 

It features immediate high speeds (which only get faster,) 20G from the start, (meaning there is no drop, and all pieces simply "warp" to the bottom of the playfield instantly,) and requires 999 lines to be cleared to complete!

Believe me when I tell you, if you ever feel like seeing what masterful Tetris looks like, I recommend taking 3 minutes to seek out Youtube footage of this mode being completed. That a human being is playing this, and not simply the CPU playing itself is incredible... as I consider myself at least somewhat Tetris proficient... yet I cannot even follow what pieces are coming, let alone have time to think about where one should put them!

Visually and auditorially, Tetris The Absolute The Grand Master 2 Plus retains much from Tetris The Grand Master.

The sound effects upon line clears and Tetrises are identical, as is the majority of the actual "in-play" visuals - the playfield, the colour scheme and the majority of the UI elements.
It does, however, introduce two new elements visually - one of which I see as a positive, and one, unfortunately, as a negative.

The positive is the dynamic visualiser backgrounds. As said, the actual playfield and in-play elements remain largely the same, however, the game has a series of quite nice looking (for 2000) dynamic backgrounds around the playfield, and these, while sometimes distracting, do look good.

The negative though, is the omnipresence of the second player playfield. 
In Tetris The Grand Master, playing in Single Player mode showed only the player's playfield, and the second playfield was only visible when a second player actually joined the game. In Tetris The Absolute The Grand Master 2 Plus, however, the second player's playfield is on screen all the time - and while this does make some sense as an Arcade "splash screen" (and this game is fundamentally designed to be an arcade game,) in a console port such as this one, that isn't really a positive, since the majority of players will likely play single player primarily. A lot of on-screen real estate is taken up with an element they are not using, and this limits the size of their own playfield, and can provide a distraction.

Overall Tetris The Absolute The Grand Master 2 Plus is, like its predecessor, a very nice release from Hamster - featuring all the bells and whistles that they apply to their ports, and it is certainly welcome to have another historic Tetris release available to play easily for anyone interested in the history of the series, or of games generally.

I personally don't find quite as much fun in Tetris The Absolute The Grand Master 2 Plus than I did with Tetris The Grand Master, that is really down to my own playing sensibilities - there isn't anyone in my home who likes Tetris other than myself, so I'd generally gravitate to a Tetris that doesn't waste half its screen with a "Join Second Player" field that I won't ever really use. 

Having said that though, I always welcome a somewhat forgotten classic getting a new lease of life, and I remain hopeful that Hamster will continue, and port the remaining 2 Tetris The Grand Master games...
...if for no other reason, than I have heard nothing but good things about that game, and know it is the most well regarded of the series among the Tetris fanbase!

• Like 1

1f4af.png 730

L89ab90.png

The Cave

A 2013 Puzzle Platformer / Adventure Game hybrid from Ron Gilbert, and released by DoubleFine, The Cave sees the player take control of any combination of 3 protagonists, (from a pool of 7 unique ones,)  each seeking some personal item in a mystical, mysterious cave.

Each character - the Knight, the Time Traveller, the creepy Twins, the Monk, the Adventurer, the Hillbilly and the Scientist - seek some specific object unique to them - the "object of their desire" - and the mysterious, sentient (and rather sarcastic!) Cave will shape and mould itself to suit each one...
...to provide them the object they seek, and the dastardly means to obtain it...
...and to potentially teach them a lesson in the process.

The fact that The Cave comes from Ron Gilbert - one of a handful of recognised titans of the LucasArts era Adventure Games scene - is very apparent in The Cave, and it is interesting and notable that during the creation of The Cave, he was working at Double Fine, under the stewardship of fellow LucasArts alumni, Tim Schafer.

This era was a curious time for these developers. The straight Adventure Games with which Schafer and Gilbert had made their names had largely faded from the zeitgeist, but the tendrils to those games were still fresh, and the fanbase, while smaller, was still largely present, and looking for a fix. 
Different games were experimenting with ways to incorporate the design elements of the old, with the stylings of the new.

The Cave represent one such experiment, and in much the same way that Tim Schafer's Psychonauts took elements of the LucasArts-style Adventure Games and incorporated them into the 3D Mascot Platformer, The Cave bakes them into the 2.5D Puzzle Platformer.

In fact, the Adventure Game elements are, if anything, even more on show in The Cave than in Psychonauts. Indeed, while Psychonauts felt like a 3D Mascot Platformer with Adventure Game elements, The Cave feels closer to an actual Adventure Game presented in the guise of a Puzzle Platformer.
Certainly some of the more complicated elements of Adventure games - the verb lists, or the sheer volume of items or things they can be used on is streamlined significantly, and the "inventory" is eschewed, in favour of characters simply being able to carry one item at a time - but the actual methods of "solving" each individual puzzle element of The Cave's various biomes is very much a direct implementation of Adventure Game notions...
...and with Gilbert at the helm, that brings with it his specific sensibilities, and sense of humour. 

The Cave is a dynamic game, in the sense that there are 7 playable characters, which can be played in any combination of 3, and taking each individual one of these characters on the spelunking adventure opens up a different character-specific area within it. 
It's not exactly a reshaping - the geometry of the cave does, I'm relatively certain, remain mostly static, and all 7 unique areas are technically there, in their allotted place, alongside the several "non-specific", baseline areas that all characters see, but because each character has a different unique ability allowing bespoke methods of traversal, each unique location is gated in a sort of "metroidvania-esque" manner, with only occasional additional walls or doors added to avoid players getting stuck in areas they could not traverse without a specific absent character.

Every combination of characters will, for example, pass the entrance to a castle... but only the Knight, (who's character story that castle houses,) has the invincibility ability allowing him access to it through the fiery chimney. 
While every character will see the entrance to the Twin's creepy house, only their ghostly ability to hold a switch while also walking through the gate will allow them to go inside, then let the others in after them.

This allows the developer to craft a game that feels markedly different across different playthroughs, without requiring much actual change to the geometry of the level, beyond some simple gating. 

Each one of these unique biomes essentially houses a short (1-2 hour upon first playthrough,) Adventure Game style set of puzzles to solve, with the characters finding items, using them on other items, outwitting or outsmarting nefarious NPCs... and causing wanton calamity as they go!

While the actual interaction of the game is clearly in the Puzzle Platformer mould - (it's of note that while playing, MsBloodmoney asked "what are you playing?" - with a suspicious glare! - several times, as from a passing glance, she assumed it was a Trine game, and wanted to ensure I wasn't playing one of those without her!) - however, the method of solving the puzzles presented is 100% in the Adventure Game mould. 

When a carnival barker at a rigged "guess your weight" machine must be outsmarted, the player must visit the "amazing magician" stand, get him to temporarily "vanish" a dumbbell stolen from the "man of average strength" exhibit, then pick it up, stand on the "guess your weight machine" holding he invisible dumbbell.

When a monster hunter must be distracted from a hotdog machine so the player can steal one to lure a monster to a trap, the key is finding a battery for a tape recorder, charging it via an electric eel, then recording the monsters roar, and playing it near them.

This types of "logical absurdity" puzzle solving are part-and-parcel of Adventure games of the 90's (and no doubt sound entirely familiar in style to fans of Gilbert's Monkey Island games,) and while the presentation and method of accessing them is different here, there can be no mistaking the fact that they ARE Adventure Game puzzles.

The layout of the game is clever, and allows for a fair bit of repetition. Each playthrough consists of 4 areas that are "set" and common to all playthroughs, and 3 "bespoke" areas, that are contingent on playing as specific characters. Each character also has two possible "endings" to their personal story (told through comic-style panels, found in-game via cave paintings.) As such, in order to see everything the game has to offer, a minimum of 5 playthroughs are required.
That might seem excessive on paper, however, it really becomes far less repetitive than it might seem, since the player will still be seeing genuine new content for at least the first 3 playthroughs, and even in the "common" areas, the unique abilities of the different characters allows for some diversity in the methods of traversing them.

In terms of visuals, The Cave is relatively nice, though not without its technical issues. The character models are fun, and the art-style of the game feels particularly "DoubleFine" - cartoonish and exaggerated in a good way, and goofy and silly. Characters move in fun, jaunty ways, and the animations of the characters, while slightly crude, are fun, and aide the silliness of the tone.

They move nicely, and the physics model is quite loose and floaty - a good thing in a game like this one - however, there are some drawbacks that are accentuated when playing in 2023. 

There is some hitching of the game as the player moves through areas quickly, and some minor screen tearing. It's not enough to ruin the experience, but it is noticeable and a little irksome at times - in a few specific areas in particular. 
The worst example is during a section where the player must catch sticks of dynamite being thrown their way in a bucket of water (Adventure Games, yo!) This section can become far more difficult than it should be, as the screen tearing and momentary hitching can often cause the player to have difficulty lining up the catch correctly...
...but these are isolated spots, and for the most part, the game runs well enough to never really harm the experience. 

Audio is good - the music is fine - tonally appropriate and silly, and fits the particular biome - and the voice work is good. The most prevalent voice by far is the sentient cave itself, which provides the direct-to-player sardonic narration - and a lot of the jokes, many of which are quite funny - and this performance is excellent. 
The foley work is simple but perfectly functional, and on the occasions that a comedic beat requires the foley to hammer it home, it generally delivers. 

The actual puzzle design is the highlight here though, of course - and solving each of the individual biomes, is genuinely fun, and with enough of a diversity of engagement - swinging broadly between Adventure Game puzzle and Puzzle-Platformer elements - to make each feel quite unique.

Overall, The Cave is very much a game of its particular time and era - and one very obviously aiming to translate the goofy fun of 90s-style Adventure Games to a more modern (in 2013) style of game...
...and on that front, I think it is a home-run success. 

Along with the original Psychonauts, I would argue strongly that The Cave is the best example of how a non-Adventure-Game Adventure Game can work very well - importing all the best elements of the old LucasArts style, in a package more palatable to a 2010's audience.

It still retains a lot of the LucasArts mentality - both in its gameplay, and in its humour, and as such, I think, requires a certain innate love of those games in its audience...
...but there is no shortage of gamers who recall that era with huge fondness...
...and I'm one of them.

If you are too, then I think The Cave will more than satisfy that itch - one that doesn't get scratched often these days!

• Like 1

Twisted Metal Black (ps4)

completed in 9 hours and 10 minutes

hardest trophy: on the hunt (suburbs cube) required a modified strategy since i couldn't make the leap with the tow truck (super long jump across the other roof).

game difficulty: 1/10 (with cheats of course).

starting to try and include more non plat games as i can. so they all can be played (provided i can complete them).

Edited by Lordguwa

Lb356c6.png

A 3D platformer where you play a tree that looks like a Fall Guys tree costume out to collect berries and, more importantly for what little story there is, fairy tears. Being every bit as psychopathic as "Collecting Fairy Tears" implies as a job description, our little guy slaughters their way through a bunch of mostly harmless "enemies"  who mostly just mind their own business, apart from sheep and some Doraemon-looking green dudes.

As you could tell from that perfect alignment of character and story, this game is dedicated to realism. As such, Woodle even moves with the approximate speed of a real tree! Though there is variation - default speed is glacial, but it goes down to geological when walking in water and can go all the way up to gastropodal using square as a "run" button.

Honestly just a chore to get through. The first time I will probably not do the second stack despite owning it and it being doable in just two hours.

• 2 weeks later...

spacer.png

100% Secret Ponchos

0.21% - Ultra Rare

Secret Ponchos is a wild west themed multiplayer game that was released through Ps+ back in 2014: despite a decent hype, for some reason the game fell out of the radar pretty quickly, and is now completely dead.

It features an handful of Ultra Rare Trophies that can be achieved without requiring any skill at all, in a manner of 15/20 hours: all you need to do is to have either a second console to self boost with, or a friend to boost online with. During the process, I actually managed to encounter a random: imagine his face when he actually met someone playing this dead game, only for him to quit before the match could even begin. :lol:

A huge thanks to @timpurnat and @PatrickPCRE5, not only for the Trophy guides, but also for assisting me privately and answering my questions regarding the boosting.

• Like 2

Marvel's Spider-Man (PS4) & Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered (PS5)

L1398d7.png

L8c23e0.png

Got two 100% achievements for the price of one, thanks to the power of the trophy autopop! 😅 But I did at least play through the story of the remastered version, it was worth it for the 60FPS boost alone! 😁

And as a bonus, special thanks to @JAK-KRIEG for helping me with the Endurance Co-op trophies from Rise of the Tomb Raider, couldn't have gotten the 100% without you my friend! 🤗

Edited by Godo Fwar
  • Like 2

Boggle - 1.25%

Based on the classic game Boggle, this is a fairly easy but grindy 100%. Thank you to my other half for helping with the 500 online games and 100 online wins. The 100% takes about 60 hours, so definitely not a quick 100%. No wonder the game has 10 ultra rare trophies! Certainly helps a lot towards my target of 200 ultra rare trophies before the end of 2023! Thank you to @LilIelaps for helping with the online trophies!

image-2023-09-29-230929245.png

Edited by Maxine
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Godo Fwar said:

Marvel's Spider-Man (PS4) & Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered (PS5)

L1398d7.png

L8c23e0.png

Got two 100% achievements for the price of one, thanks to the power of the trophy autopop! 😅 But I did at least play through the story of the remastered version, it was worth it for the 60FPS boost alone! 😁

And as a bonus, special thanks to @JAK-KRIEG for helping me with the Endurance Co-op trophies from Rise of the Tomb Raider, couldn't have gotten the 100% without you my friend! 🤗

You are very welcome mate 🙂. Congrats on 2 more plats.

• Like 1

The Last of Us Part 2

Just working through the backlog and saw I never did the permadeath/grounded mode trophies. So, I went ahead and knocked em out in a week and a half. Grounded mode was definitely a beast at a couple points. Permadeath wasn't terrible, just a little annoying at times. Happy to be done with it though. 

• Like 1