The Last Movie You Saw?

Mio

22 minutes ago, Slava said:

. I should probably watch more 80's American comedies, so I can at least compare it to something.

If Chevy in Caddyshack made you laugh, I recommend starting with Fletch!

Once of the best 80s comedies, and a personal favourite!

Also, if you are at all interested in “how the hell did a movie like Caddyshack come about?” I’d recommend the very funny, and pretty good recent Doug Kenney Biopic Netflix made, called A Futile and Stupid Gesture.

It’s a very watchable, interesting and funny look at a somewhat forgotten comedy genius- who created the National Lampoon, Animal House… and Caddyshack!

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

If Chevy in Caddyshack made you laugh, I recommend starting with Fletch!

Once of the best 80s comedies, and a personal favourite!

Also, if you are at all interested in “how the hell did a movie like Caddyshack come about?” I’d recommend the very funny, and pretty good recent Doug Kenney Biopic Netflix made, called A Futile and Stupid Gesture.

It’s a very watchable, interesting and funny look at a somewhat forgotten comedy genius- who created the National Lampoon, Animal House… and Caddyshack!

Added Fletch to the Watchlist :)

The Netflix biopic sounds interesting, but I'll pass for now. I sense that it'll be a kind of film to sit in my watchlist for 5-10 years.

I've watched very few 80's comedies made in NA. Never seen anything by National Lampoon, Never seen Chevy Chase films before (Caddyshack was my first). I haven't watched many 80's movies in general for that matter, including action classics like Predator and Die Hard. Not to mention horror. It's like a white gap I've been slowly filling lately starting with Scorsese's works.

Anyway, what I mean is I probably need to educate myself first, then I could generate enough interest for a lookback like A Futile and Stupid Gesture.

Edited by Slava
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Slava said:

Added Fletch to the Watchlist :)

The Netflix biopic sounds interesting, but I'll pass for now. I sense that it'll be a kind of film to sit in my watchlist for 5-10 years.

I've watched very few 80's comedies made in NA. Never seen anything by National Lampoon, Never seen Chevy Chase films before (Caddyshack was my first). I haven't watched many 80's movies in general for that matter, including action classics like Predator and Die Hard. Not to mention horror. It's like a white gap I've been slowly filling lately starting with Scorsese's works.

Anyway, what I mean is I probably need to educate myself first, then I could generate enough interest for a lookback like A Futile and Stupid Gesture.

That’s fair - I think A Futile and Stupid Gesture can work without that background knowledge… but you definitely get a lot more out of it having seen more of the films and stars it is referencing.

My wife didn’t know a lot of that stuff, and did enjoy it… but on the other hand, she did have me sitting next to her to answer her questions as she had them… and there were a fair few as I recall!

• Like 1

Godzilla Minus One - Wikipedia

This is without a doubt one of the best movies of 2023, the chemistry between characters, the plot, the action, the love for the details, the feels, i think its a simple yet complex film that totally deserves the praise and can be considered one of the best godzilla for the simple reason it makes you care for little details, even when godzilla steps towns filled with people it feels totally different because its made great.

Saw X - Wikipedia

And lets talk about my first letdown of 2023/2024, this film was going great but the third act its total crap, it looks like it was made by totally different persons who didnt know how to finish the story or how to advance the plot, its one of the most laziest and biggest letdowns, when you think its going to take a turn, its just a "captain obvious" moment, and many things that are let in the air, it looks like they pretend to do XI, but i hope not because this was just bad for that closure, yeah, there are great moments and the camera work its great, way better than the other films, if you are curious about the new traps just check them by skip forward the film, because its not worth yout time, and its a total shame.

Edited by Don_Chipotle
  • Like 3

Watched a couple over the weekend:

Fast X: Surprisingly better than I expected. By all measurements it’s a pretty bad film (plot, acting, cgi) but it delivers the entertainment value with some decent action. It also doesn’t let up at all, constantly on the go. Jason Mamoa unexpectedly original and looks like he’s having a blast. 

Ghosted: Apple TV movie with Chris Evan’s. Generic civilian caught up in spy caper with gender roles kinda reversed, Chris Evan’s is the civilian who doesn’t know what’s going on. It was light hearted and easy watch but nothing special. 

• Like 3

On 1/6/2024 at 10:58 PM, Crzy Minus said:

Screenshot-2024-01-06-225736.png

Hey, you usually leaves reviews, but I wonder what were your thoughts on "Society of the Snow".

I actually thought it was really good, especially the storytelling

Spoiler

from the perspective of one of the people who didn't survive. Which shocked me when the reveal was made.

Also, me being from South America, and, going to see the movie with my grandparents, who were alive at the moment and were following the news constantly, might have made me give it a superior score. For me, this one is a masterpiece. But anyways, what were your thoughts and why only 3 stars?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Caquis_1 said:

Hey, you usually leaves reviews, but I wonder what were your thoughts on "Society of the Snow".

I actually thought it was really good, especially the storytelling

Hide contents

from the perspective of one of the people who didn't survive. Which shocked me when the reveal was made.

Also, me being from South America, and, going to see the movie with my grandparents, who were alive at the moment and were following the news constantly, might have made me give it a superior score. For me, this one is a masterpiece. But anyways, what were your thoughts and why only 3 stars?

Yeah I didn't leave a review out because I didn't felt I had much to say about the movie after it ended, but sure I can share some thoughts on what I thought about it.

I liked that the film didn't hold back from the dread and misery of the situation through the first half, which made the small moments of optimism and much hopeful tone towards the end stand out more in contrast, I also though the scenery of the mountains throughout the film was quite pretty as well.

The reason I didn't fully vibe with the movie was because at a certain point after the crash I felt the movie has lost it's steam and a bit of my interest, after all the movie is mostly just the victims and survivors hanging on to the crashed landing point. It would've helped a lot if much more was happening to feel more attached to the story and it's characters, though with the little they gave the main group of victims the movie did focused on, it did slightly helped and I did like the idea of all the names of the fallen victims appearing on text as the movie went on to make up for their absence.

I totally get if the movie may be more accurate to the true story like this, but had it handled the story in a much interesting less repetitive way I would've appreciate it much greatly for it. As far as movies based on true stories go I'd rather have them feel simultaneously authentic and riveting, if not I can always just watch a documentary that goes in-depth about what really happened or read about it. In the case of Society of the Snow for me ultimately it still felt somewhat authentic and satisfying, and I would still recommend it to anyone looking for a good survival movie based on true events, even more so if they're already familiar and much closer to the story itself in which case they'll get more out of their experience like how yours did.

And as far as that reveal with the narrator went, I felt indifferent about it aside just being an interesting choice in the movie. I guess it was made to really express how this story is about all the victims who went through that time.

Edited by Crzy Minus
  • Like 3

Retribution (2023 film) - Wikipedia

What a weird film, but yeah, watched it and its not a awful film, but it somehow feels a little weak in story progress, and characters sometimes feel like out place, like it was meant for another person sometimes, and its not the most action packed movie of Liam Neeson

Edited by Don_Chipotle
  • Like 3

Godzilla Minus One

- THIS WAS AMAZING. I must confess I have never seen a Godzilla movie. I went in uncertain about what to expect. Some action? Just a big ass monster wrecking the place? Not all this emotion. Gosh. It nearly moved me to tears multiple times. I loved it.

(Also watched Aquaman 2 recently... Let's not talk about that one...)

spacer.png

Edited by StrayEidolon
  • Like 4

Terminator_Genisys.JPGTerminator: Genisys

It starts in 1984, at the time of the original Terminator's events. The timeline gets heavily altered, thanks in part to Skynet now resorting to attacking a 9-year old Sarah Connor back in 1973. One of my favorite things here is seeing Sarah take a few levels in badass. Not living in fear, but rather declaring war on Skynet and those Terminators who serve it... and waiting for Kyle Reese to show up so they can kick its ass together. Sarah and Kyle also have a T-800 on their side. Genisys kept a decent pace and was a pretty good 2 hours. This one has several antagonist Terminators in it. Not sure it's the best Terminator movie, but I liked it.

Spoiler

When Kyle Reese makes it to 1984 to save Sarah Connor from the original Terminator, she's already helped her T-800 ally Pops wreck it. In fact, she even gets Kyle out of a jam. The classic "Come with me if you want to live" is her line now.

There is a particularly tragic twist that happens in Genisys. I'll not reveal it here, even in a spoiler.

• Like 4