THQ Nordic aquires Kingdoms of Amalur IP

14 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

It's about a world were everyone's fate has been determined from the start and they cannot escape it no matter what. Whenever the elves die, they're reborn and the same thing happens all over again. Then the dark elves (ice elves? some kind of elves?) start a war to conquer the entire continent and it seems they will win, as everyone's fate is to lose against them. The game then starts with the main character having amnesia and the ability to change fate.

I remember waking up with amnesia. That's about it. Maybe I'm the main character?!?

37 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

Actually, it was Rhode Island that was to blame for the fiasco, pretty much entirely. First, the state got dollar signs in its eyes, and gave way too much money to an unknown developer, simply because the face of that developer was the pitcher Curt Schilling. Then, for political reasons, one of the candidates for governor began smearing the game, which contributed to lower than expected sales numbers (the candidate ended up winning the election). 

It was a weird story, but a good lesson: don't EVER trust money from political/government sources for things like this. 

As much as this was the state's fault for making incredibly stupid decisions with what they funded, a lot of this does still lay on Schilling. He was a very poor chairman because he had no experience in the industry and didn't allocate the funds properly. Employees who worked under him said that he regularly lied to them about the financial state that the company was in, and that they had no idea the company was in trouble until they stopped being paid and ended up saddled with 2 mortgages. 

And beyond that, he spent way more than than what funding they were given by RI. The whole project was way too big for what they were being given, and he had no idea what he was doing. So yeah it's the state's fault because they never should have given him this in the first place, but his complete mismanagement of what he was given was also a huge part of the problem. 

Edited by ImplyingYouCare

2 minutes ago, ImplyingYouCare said:

As much as this was the state's fault for making incredibly stupid decisions with what they funded, a lot of this does still lay on Schilling. He was a very poor chairman because he had no experience in the industry and didn't allocate the funds properly. Employees who worked under him said that he regularly lied to them about the financial state that the company was in, and that they had no idea the company was in trouble until they stopped being paid and ended up saddled with 2 mortgages. 

And beyond that, he spent way more than than what funding they were given by RI. The whole project was way too big for what they were being given, and he had no idea what he was doing. So yeah it's the state's fault because they never should have given him this in the first place, but his complete mismanagement of what he was given was also a huge part of the problem. 

I'm not going to defend Curt Schilling. He clearly didn't know what he was doing, and made one of the most basic mistakes of business (expecting a later windfall to pay off a current debt). 

But it is absolutely on the lender for giving money. Schilling was clearly over his head as an amateur. But how much more the people who supposedly held the pension fund strings in RI? And when things started to take their downturn, rather than try to mitigate the situation, instead a politician attempted to further torpedo an already sinking ship which carried his own taxpayers!

I'm glad to see that the IP was acquired by someone likely to do something with it. I really enjoyed the game and plan on going back to it to platinum it one day. It was far too ambitious to be sure but the product was still fun regardless. Shame it ended up flopping  the way it did

Edited by majob

will look forward to picking this up, also just found out that they've picked up the timesplitters and second sight ips though deep silver so hopefully we'll see something from those too. :) 

they've come quite some way recently, from being a small unknown publisher to what they are today.

Edited by Leenewbe

I'd buy a remaster of KoA Reckoning, but hopefully they'll raise the difficulty or at least add a Very Hard setting.  If there's a sequel, please do not let it be a MMO.

Too bad RI's Governor Chafee called the first game a failure.  From what Schilling said there was a sequel in the works by 38, & Chafee's statement torpedoed it by turning away a would-be publisher.  If we got that, it'd probably have been one of the early PS4/X1 titles.  We got robbed.

Edited by gameoverDude189
  • Like 1

I'm playing this on PC right now.  I've gone mostly with sorcery- the fire magic is badass.  With this one you mark targets, which does a small bit of damage... then charge the spell to let them have it.  Not bad damage at all.  The charged nova with the fire staff is risky, but if you can do that without getting hit out of it, it's no joke.

Hopefully if there's a remaster on PS4, it fixes the draw distance & texture pop-in, along with the bugs. There are some serious ones like a periodic freeze while running after extended play.  I haven't had this one, but it sounds annoying.  Some quest bugs can leave you unable to finish a quest, & there's even one that can corrupt your save.

I guess a remaster of the game is pretty much certain then. I remember liking the game from what I played of it, but it wasn't anything great, and I never really had an urge to see the series continue. THQ Nordic sure do like their middle-of-the-road games, don't they? Not that I'm complaining, I just wonder how long it will take for them to go the way of the old THQ.

Loved the first game...it's actually the game that sparked my interest in RPGs. I wasn't a fan of the genre back in the pre-gen 7 days, but decided to give it a whirl when we got it on PS Plus back in 2012, and got the Plat and eventually the 100%. Extremely unpopular opinion, but I preferred Amalur to games like Fallout or Skyrim. 

So needless to say I've been wanting a sequel since I played it. Don't know if I'd bother with a remaster though.

On 9/6/2018 at 11:40 AM, Splathew said:

If all they do is announce a Switch port I'm going to be so crushed...

Actually I wouldn't be surprised to see them bring it to all systems, seeing how it sells before they try a sequel.

Watch it probably be a $60 release with The Legend of Dead Kel & Teeth of Naros DLCs already included.