PS Vita production to end in 2019 (In Japan)

HeySumbode

It was Japan that made Vita last for so long, with it's production ending soon wont be long until the games stops as well. I think Vita outlived his time, and it's a shame that it was always a forgotten console. Maybe Sony will rethink its stance and release a sucessor, but they seen to be more focused in the numbered Playstations with ultimate graphics and VR than on the mobile market.

Edited by Zircon_Lotus
Typos

6 minutes ago, ccase137 said:

Alas, this is the final nail in the coffin.  It was an excellent console and I still have a huge backlog of games to play on it so I have no regrets buying it.

not worried in the slightest. even if my original vita breaks down i can always get a used one even if it cost's an arm and a leg.

currently showing it some love now. played some jak and daxter today.

Edited by kingdrake2

Amazed it lasted as long as it did, though on the other hand, I wouldn't have been surprised if Japan kept buying them through 2030. Guess they're finally caving to the Switch Master RaceTM.

Shame really. I remember being so stoked on the Vita late 2012. I remember riding the train for 20 odd minutes multiple times to the JB HiFi that had a demo unit, and playing Virtua (fucking) Tennis on it. I remember when it was still called NGP and trying to explain to someone how this portable thing looks better than the portable PSP thing I already had. I remember the ads on tele even, it really looked like everything should have worked for it. Until I learned the price of it, and the memory cards. I hold the pricing of both of them entirely to blame for it's failure. The lack of games didn't help, obviously, but the lack of games started AFTER it became apparent it was a failure, first year or so (it's been a while) you had an entirely new Uncharted, entirely new Assassin's Creed, entirely new Call of Duty, entirely new Resistance. You got a new LittleBigPlanet, WipEout, ModNation, Killzone, and so on, not to mention shiny new games like Gravity Rush, Tearaway, Unit 13, and on and on and on. Not to mention the (initial) decent effort of PS3 ports with cross buy and cross play like Sly Cooper 4 day and date, Ratchet QForce day and date, Sly, Jak, and Ratchet's PS2 trilogies over in HD, and so on, plus all the PSP games, plus all the indie games, plus all the PS1 games, plus all the other damn games. Blaming a lack of games for the Vita's failings is stupid.

The only universally agreed upon fault of the Vita, is it's price and that of it's memory cards. And I truly, truly believe that is what killed it. 

RIP in pepperoni. Me and my 100+ Switch games will pour one out for you.

1 hour ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Amazed it lasted as long as it did, though on the other hand, I wouldn't have been surprised if Japan kept buying them through 2030. Guess they're finally caving to the Switch Master RaceTM.

Shame really. I remember being so stoked on the Vita late 2012. I remember riding the train for 20 odd minutes multiple times to the JB HiFi that had a demo unit, and playing Virtua (fucking) Tennis on it. I remember when it was still called NGP and trying to explain to someone how this portable thing looks better than the portable PSP thing I already had. I remember the ads on tele even, it really looked like everything should have worked for it. Until I learned the price of it, and the memory cards. I hold the pricing of both of them entirely to blame for it's failure. The lack of games didn't help, obviously, but the lack of games started AFTER it became apparent it was a failure, first year or so (it's been a while) you had an entirely new Uncharted, entirely new Assassin's Creed, entirely new Call of Duty, entirely new Resistance. You got a new LittleBigPlanet, WipEout, ModNation, Killzone, and so on, not to mention shiny new games like Gravity Rush, Tearaway, Unit 13, and on and on and on. Not to mention the (initial) decent effort of PS3 ports with cross buy and cross play like Sly Cooper 4 day and date, Ratchet QForce day and date, Sly, Jak, and Ratchet's PS2 trilogies over in HD, and so on, plus all the PSP games, plus all the indie games, plus all the PS1 games, plus all the other damn games. Blaming a lack of games for the Vita's failings is stupid.

The only universally agreed upon fault of the Vita, is it's price and that of it's memory cards. And I truly, truly believe that is what killed it. 

RIP in pepperoni. Me and my 100+ Switch games will pour one out for you.

People misremember the lineup of Vita all the time. It’s nice to see someone acknowledge that the support stopped when it was clear the Vita wasn’t taking off. Rather than pretend it never had any games. Vita had more games at launch than 3DS did, Wii U and I think around the same “in development” number as Switch. Can’t remember if it had more than switch launch wise as well or not. 

Could Sony have advertised better? Definitely. The ads it got sucked. It did get some though, and a Taco Bell contest like PS4 and PS VR. 

System price for me was fine. The 3G model was a waste of time for Sony, a pointless sku. And the memory cards were retarded, when Vita wasn’t selling, Sony should’ve dropped those prices immediately and made every standard unit have a 4gb card included, rather than only specific bundles. 

But alas. 

While I'd like to say that I find this to be a shame, I don't actually really care anymore. It was clear soon enough that Sony didn't care about the Vita enough and personally I don't really care about handheld gaming anymore either. The times when I do want to play on a handheld, I'll just grab my Switch and use that instead.