Should I get PS4 Slim or Pro for my birthday?

Alantor32

i have a ps4 pro and never heard about that heating problem, the fan can be loud yeah but not crazy loud, i would say go for the pro, it have 4k, boost modus for old games, and super sampling if you play on a HD tv, i buyed it because it have optical output for my speakers what the slim don't have

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Divecomb said:

Acceptable1f44c.png

This is like someone asking, "Do you want chocolate ice cream or vanilla?" and you answer, "Yes." Are you saying that a Pro is an acceptable choice?

My opinion is if you even think you'll get a 4K TV in the next 4 years, go pro. 

Also, I've heard that the PSVR runs better on a pro, but I've never had issues on my slim. Not sure if that's a factor for you or not.

• Like 1

If price isn't a deciding factor, go for the Pro, there's no reason to get a Slim other than price.

You get more performance options for games (usually resolution vs fps) even games without a Pro patch run better in Boost Mode, if you're considering VR it also runs better on Pro and the heating problem is mostly due to placing it in poorly ventilated areas.

Edited by JavaNext
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, UlvenFenrir said:

If you dont have a 4k tv then theres no reason to get the pro.

Not necessarily. Some games allow you to pick a higher frame rate instead of a higher resolution which obviously benefits people without 4K TV's. Hell, I have a 4K TV and I'll pick frame rate over resolution every time. Supersampling is now a thing at the system level, so even if a game is rendering at a resolution higher than what your TV can support, it will still look sharper than a 1080p image from a base/slim PS4. There's also Boost Mode which can improve a game's frame rate and what not even if it doesn't outright support the PS4 Pro. Faster loading times on the Pro too.

So yeah, the benefits of a Pro are more obvious if you have a 4K TV, but there are still plenty of reasons to get a Pro even if you don't have one.

• Like 4

Go Pro if pricing isn't an issue. Just a better system, even if you don't have a 4K because you can have supersampling and boost mode. I realise what I've just typed out is a reiteration of what other people have already said but doesn't hurt to reinforce the point that Pro is your best option.

Edited by LepreCon1991

Go Pro man! But we are close to PS5 era. Sooooo, what if PS5 is BC with PS4 pro, I guess you could trade in upgrade but how much you think you get? And whats wrong with your current PS4 that you want to spend on even a slim? I'd wait unless the deal is amazing.

Are you on a budget? if so, to be perfectly honest, you should go with the Slim. My girlfriend has a Pro with a 4kTV and while the difference is there it's definitely not game-changing, maybe the first 5 minutes then you just forget about it and play your game barely noticing the difference to the slim. It's not TRUE 4K, yet. Besides the generation is coming to a close and you should save the 100-150 dollar difference for the PS5, just my 2 cents.

If you have the chance, pick up a Pro!  The big sales are next month, and you will get a pretty good deal on them.  The biggest thing on the fans is just keep your Pro elevated so it has plenty of air.  Pretty much what you should do on any console.  They seem to work a little harder on graphics heavy games, but no big deal.  Happy future birthday!

• Like 1

I'd go with the Pro, especially if it's a birthday present (and I assume you wouldn't be the one paying?). It's a better system overall, supports 4K if you have a 4K tv (you can get them quite at reasonable prices these days, I got mine for about £320). 

I have a slim and it's good enough for me in that I was on a budget, got it on a black friday sale discounted by £100 from the original price at the time with two free games and was looking for the cheapest way to get it new. But if money was no option, I would have certainly went for the pro

On ‎01‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 5:59 PM, UlvenFenrir said:

If you dont have a 4k tv then theres no reason to get the pro. If you do its a no brainer.

This is simply only half of the story.

If you own PSVR then you get a very noticeable boost from the PS4 Pro's power over the stock PS4 and games look a lot better as a result.

On 10/1/2018 at 7:57 PM, Undead Wolf said:

Not necessarily. Some games allow you to pick a higher frame rate instead of a higher resolution which obviously benefits people without 4K TV's. Hell, I have a 4K TV and I'll pick frame rate over resolution every time. Supersampling is now a thing at the system level, so even if a game is rendering at a resolution higher than what your TV can support, it will still look sharper than a 1080p image from a base/slim PS4. There's also Boost Mode which can improve a game's frame rate and what not even if it doesn't outright support the PS4 Pro. Faster loading times on the Pro too.

So yeah, the benefits of a Pro are more obvious if you have a 4K TV, but there are still plenty of reasons to get a Pro even if you don't have one.

Games can hardly run at a steady 50-60 fps at a time except for a few games and the pro wont fix that. 

What would fix it is entirely new hardware, not an “upgrade”. Maybe ps5 we will see a huge improvement.

Edited by UlvenFenrir

45 minutes ago, merciful84 said:

P.S. I never had an overheating issue but then again, I did buy an attachable fan for my PS4 Pro when I first bought it.

Hey boss, what kind of Fan (brand-wise) did you purchase for your 'Pro and do you have a link to where we could possibly purchase one at?