What actions make a community toxic?

Wavergray

15 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

It's interesting that that's your example though. Because I don't necessarily disagree, lots of people took shit with that game way too far, but I would argue it's a perfect example of a toxic development studio and a toxic climate in games as a whole.

Know what's toxic? People who promise something, don't deliver, and then have the cheek to insult the consumer.

Hence the "everyone involved" bit in my post.  It was an embarrassment on all fronts.

EDIT: I just tend to side with the developer over the consumer 99% of the time, for personal reasons and because I've seen the gaming community time and time again "take shit way too far" with much less significant reason to.  It's unfortunate that Hello Games actually, legitimately fucked everyone over... because gamers were just seething for a real reason to be upset after crying wolf over every little thing for years, and once they had something real to latch onto in No Man's Sky, there was no letting go.  It validated every victimized thought everyone ever had about being a consumer in the gaming industry and it blew up.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

I would just either block, ignore or delete comments towards you that are toxic. 

I don't care if it's "cowardly". Unless I'm getting paid for dealing with shitheads, I'm not obligated to be targeted for free.

We're never going to meet each other, so what's the point in getting worked up over it? Also, don't expect me to take your comments as banter when I don't know you well. We're not friends, so don't expect to get any leeway.

I have my fair share of toxic communities when I was still learning to be mature in the internet. I was bullied a lot on the net because of forums like GameFAQs and other stuff. The first forum that was filled with toxcity that I regretted joining was Freezecracker. The owner of that site, Geoff Mendicino was a complete douchebag and he and his gang would bullied me, change my name to an insulting one and they even threaten to hack me.

And GameFAQs was even worse, I was bullied a lot there, the moderators there which one of them is a member here didn't do anything to stop the toxic communities like the GameFAQs Final Fantasy boards. Hell, some of those trollish dumbasses even stalk me wherever I go. But in the end, I learned to forget about those toxic scum and found a much nicer place here in PSNProfiles which may have some toxicity, but it is a nice place.

Now for what makes a toxic community? I can make some examples from GameFAQs which is a total toxic community. Some of the users there may be internet tough guys, or they may be mentally unstable. I seen my fair share of mentally unstable people in the GameFAQs' FF boards.

In gaming particularly, there can be a lot of things that are toxic. 

The biggest thing is unchecked racism/sexism/homophobia/transphobia that is just fucking uncalled for. If you really believe those things, you are a terrible person. 

The other is just uncalled hostility online. I played Killzone Shadow Fall a few times online and I had terrible internet while I was living in a rural area. I could barely play a match online and I wad 1v1 another guy and when the game crashed, he messaged me calling me terrible fucking names even though you could see I was lagging and I wasn’t shittalking or anything like that. I blocked him and reported him because he was harassing me for DAYS. I wasn’t offended, I was just fucking annoyed and that is why I am hardly playing games online.

8 minutes ago, MMX20 said:

I have my fair share of toxic communities when I was still learning to be mature in the internet. I was bullied a lot on the net because of forums like GameFAQs and other stuff. The first forum that was filled with toxcity that I regretted joining was Freezecracker. The owner of that site, Geoff Mendicino was a complete douchebag and he and his gang would bullied me, change my name to an insulting one and they even threaten to hack me.

And GameFAQs was even worse, I was bullied a lot there, the moderators there which one of them is a member here didn't do anything to stop the toxic communities like the GameFAQs Final Fantasy boards. Hell, some of those trollish dumbasses even stalk me wherever I go. But in the end, I learned to forget about those toxic scum and found a much nicer place here in PSNProfiles which may have some toxicity, but it is a nice place.

Now for what makes a toxic community? I can make some examples from GameFAQs which is a total toxic community. Some of the users there may be internet tough guys, or they may be mentally unstable. I seen my fair share of mentally unstable people in the GameFAQs' FF boards.

I  thought Geoff Mendicino was the Destructiod guy? I am not saying you're wrong about how  gamefaqs is, just the owner's name didn't click with me.

Just now, TJ_Solo said:

I  thought Geoff Mendicino was the Destructiod guy? I am not saying you're wrong about how  gamefaqs is, just the owner's name didn't click with me.

Hmm. Good point. But I can assure you that Geoff Mendicino is the owner of Freezecracker. His YouTube or Twitter name is Geoff the Hero.

13 minutes ago, MMX20 said:

Hmm. Good point. But I can assure you that Geoff Mendicino is the owner of Freezecracker. His YouTube or Twitter name is Geoff the Hero.

Well that took me down a rabbit hole that I regret fully.

His site, youtube, and twitter are all horrible.

Edited by TJ_Solo
  • Like 1

On 12/11/2018 at 0:51 PM, INinjaRaidenI said:

This whole "toxic" nonsense needs to end, I've been seeing that useless word being thrown at everything and everyone that has a different opinion. Imo there are only 2 types of people in communities and those are assholes that once you know them they are very likeable and you usually have the best kind of conversations with them, and then the real assholes that disguise themselves as the good samaritan and this ones are by far the worst, they constantly bitch about "bad words" being used aswell as certain jokes and they go as far as censoring someone completely and in some cases harass people and dig their twitter feed to find the tiniest thing to get them fired. In conclusion, if you get easily offended on any site or community by this whole "toxic" nonsense just log off lol.

There's a reason why we keep using the word toxic. It's not useless and it describes what toxic communities are. If you don't have anything productive to say on this thread, then refrain from commenting here.

I don’t think the actions of people are what is toxic, it’s if those actions affect you and your enjoyment in that community. 

For example, there are some real a**holes on this website. If  their a**hole behaviour bothers you, that’s when the community becomes toxic for you. If you couldn’t care less that they are a**holes, it’s not toxic for you because you couldn’t care less about them. 

That being said, in the gaming community as a whole not just this website, the biggest a**holery that contributes to making the community toxic for someone is the elitism and the fact you get attacked on a personal level for even daring to have an opinion slightly different to the masses. But that will never change when anonymity allows people to be bullies with no consequences. 

• Like 3

Gameplay. Gameplay is all. If people are intentionally being a dick through their gameplay on a regular basis (things like team killing or even just abusing glitches to get easy wins or whatever) then I'd call that a toxic community.

I couldn't really care less what people say on mic or whatever. There's options to mute people for a reason, use them. I could understand saying a community is toxic if you have people spamming you with messages or something outside of the game, but if it's just chat in game then just mute them.

On 12/15/2018 at 9:37 AM, MMX20 said:

They do it because they know they can get away with it. 

It has gotten to the point now where our generation has forgotten what it was like being the little kid on the playground while the bully standing there in the corner is thinking of beating you up because you didn’t pay him your lunch money. 

I don’t think this happens as often anymore because we have smartphones, new ways to combat bullies and special interest groups looking to eliminate bullying. 

But I don’t see them going after cyber bullying, which is a problem that has gotten worse over time thanks to everyone having to depend on the Internet. 

We have to defend ourselves and be strong. As much as I disagree on these forums, sound like an asshole at times and criticize, I’m not affected by other people’s opinions anymore. If someone decides to call me out on something or throw mud in my direction I either confront them or just ignore them. As I’ve grown older getting into roundabout fights with a lot of people on the forums just isn’t worth it. 

I was met with a pretty bad experience when I was a 13 year old kid in 2001 when I started using Internet forums. Got heckled and harrassed for some of my opinions, which greatly affected me emotionally because at the time I didn’t know how to cope with cyberbullying. 

I used to get harassed quite a lot on Runescape back in the good old days in 2003 - 2006 when the game hit its stride in popularity. Finally had to put some players on ignore because they were angry and mentally unstable. 

Game FAQs however has been shit for a long time. I don’t know how that website even exists anymore.

• Like 1

While there are certainly toxic communities, I think the term gets thrown around way too much. For example, this is one of the kinder, gentler communities I've seen, and even here people claim toxicity in multiple threads.

GameFaqs is a better example, although even there, I think the toxicity is relegated to certain games. While I've had many a spirited debate, the games I tend to use GameFaqs for are small potatoes, so the people posting there are knowledgeable. Opinionated, yes, but it's much rarer to see ad hominem attacks derail arguments.

On 12/16/2018 at 7:54 AM, turpinator1986 said:

the biggest a**holery that contributes to making the community toxic for someone is the elitism and the fact you get attacked on a personal level for even daring to have an opinion slightly different to the masses.

We certainly do have a couple of those types of asshole here. But a lot of times, people conflate a personal attack with an attack of an idea.

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

While there are certainly toxic communities, I think the term gets thrown around way too much. For example, this is one of the kinder, gentler communities I've seen, and even here people claim toxicity in multiple threads.

GameFaqs is a better example, although even there, I think the toxicity is relegated to certain games. While I've had many a spirited debate, the games I tend to use GameFaqs for are small potatoes, so the people posting there are knowledgeable. Opinionated, yes, but it's much rarer to see ad hominem attacks derail arguments.

The word “toxic” has been thrown around so much it has lost much of it’s original meaning. 

There was a time when the word “retard” meant a description of a mentally stupid person. When I got into high school many kids just used the word on things that were silly mistakes or someone who is only slightly stupid. Over time that word has changed to describe anything remotely stupid or something overly trivial. 

GameFAQs was one of the first gaming forum websites to really hit it big and I think it’s one of the oldest forums that is still active. But the community there, after many years of venturing I can safely say is full of elitists. 

4Chan is another place I know that has a terrible community, and their forums are awful. 

Mostly it depends on your experiences on select forums. I have left my share of forums because I did not enjoy the attitude that stemmed from them.

The list is endless is my book....

Top things that piss me right off though have to be these high and mighty arsehole gamers that think they are better than everyone else, the type that get annoyed and start screaming like an idiot if someone messes up.  Lost count of the times I've encountered self righteous pratts full of their own self importance.  I remember when I first started on mortal Kombat X and had my first online game,  obviously It was very new to me and I was no expert but the total twatwaffle I was fighting was a really high level and just kept chatting shit down the mic like come on newbie come ooooon, oh my god you are so bad at this game!  Nice one you utter nobscratch....

Love Dead by daylight but wow the endless messages you get off some of those bellends is astounding!  System of a downs Toxicity should be on the soundtrack for that.  I helped alot of gamers on DBD who helped me in return for various pain in the arse trophies like skilled huntress and some of the nurse trophies.  Alot of players say that the nurse is the best killer of all!  You just have to know how to use her, no.  Just NO lol.  One game when I was going for the adept nurse trophy all 4 random survivors agrred to help me out, in turn I helped them bag a shit tonne of blood points.  At the end of the game some complete arsehole just decides to escape so he gan get a few easy no effort whatsoever trophies wasting all of our time.  Shit like that is one of the worst things that boils my blood.  Fast forward a few weeks later, the idiot wants to join my boost thread hahaha.  How does FUCK OFF sound ;) aint karma a bitch.

Basically with me what you see is what you get and I'll never judge anyone based on their appearance, tastes, beliefs, sexuality etc.  I'll base my judgement on wether or not they are an arsehole.  Sadly in this day and age the arsehole population seems to constantly multiply worse than wet gremlins breeding with rabbits!

Always loved gaming and always will but seriously, having to play games online is for the most part just more annoying than fun.  And absolute WANK!!!!!

• Like 1

I'm usually quite tolerant of people but what comes under the toxic category include:

Sexism

Racism/ Prejudice of any other sort

Insulting and swearing at others

Hate speech

Passive Aggressive behaviour and verbally or physically aggressive

For gaming specifically: People who troll and bully newer players, cheaters and those who are rude/arrogant on chats, uncooperative players. 

Personally I hate people who put categorise everyone into one basket and make dumb generalisations. I hate it when people assume that everyone who plays jrpg or FF is an "otaku". I play those games but don't have any interest in things like akihabara or maid cafes etc.

7 hours ago, I need more BIOSHOCK said:

The list is endless is my book....

Top things that piss me right off though have to be these high and mighty arsehole gamers that think they are better than everyone else, the type that get annoyed and start screaming like an idiot if someone messes up.  Lost count of the times I've encountered self righteous pratts full of their own self importance.  I remember when I first started on mortal Kombat X and had my first online game,  obviously It was very new to me and I was no expert but the total twatwaffle I was fighting was a really high level and just kept chatting shit down the mic like come on newbie come ooooon, oh my god you are so bad at this game!  Nice one you utter nobscratch....

Love Dead by daylight but wow the endless messages you get off some of those bellends is astounding!  System of a downs Toxicity should be on the soundtrack for that.  I helped alot of gamers on DBD who helped me in return for various pain in the arse trophies like skilled huntress and some of the nurse trophies.  Alot of players say that the nurse is the best killer of all!  You just have to know how to use her, no.  Just NO lol.  One game when I was going for the adept nurse trophy all 4 random survivors agrred to help me out, in turn I helped them bag a shit tonne of blood points.  At the end of the game some complete arsehole just decides to escape so he gan get a few easy no effort whatsoever trophies wasting all of our time.  Shit like that is one of the worst things that boils my blood.  Fast forward a few weeks later, the idiot wants to join my boost thread hahaha.  How does FUCK OFF sound ;) aint karma a bitch.

Basically with me what you see is what you get and I'll never judge anyone based on their appearance, tastes, beliefs, sexuality etc.  I'll base my judgement on wether or not they are an arsehole.  Sadly in this day and age the arsehole population seems to constantly multiply worse than wet gremlins breeding with rabbits!

Always loved gaming and always will but seriously, having to play games online is for the most part just more annoying than fun.  And absolute WANK!!!!!

The Last of Us’ mp is one of my favourites but I’ve always found a portion of that community pretty toxic. The first time I played I apparently took someone’s kill so my first memory is some French guy screaming (no exaggeration) at me over the mic. I had to turn off messages while playing because I’d get hate mail either telling me I suck/blaming me for their death or boasting about finally being able to get a kill after my team had been dominating. Then the reddit community calls people noobs if they use certain loadouts (shocking that someone might want to have a stealth loadout in a stealth game?). Can these people not just play for fun?

And I’ve also come across toxic or selfish people who ruin a boost and want to join again later lol. I guess maybe they don’t realise they’ve done anything wrong. ?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, I need more BIOSHOCK said:

The reason for that is because there's no interpersonal communication.

Just because someone is using voice chat or video chat doesn't mean they're talking person to person. I can guarantee that over half of the shit you see on Facebook and Twitter would be gone if more people talked to one another in person.

Anybody can be a whiny ass in online multiplayer. The vast majority of assholes I come across are no better than anyone else, and I've started to find over the years that a lot of people will go on Facebook or play an online game on their PS4 simply to let off some steam.

I got into gaming to get escapist entertainment, not to be insulted or harassed just for the way I play games.

6 hours ago, Lava_Yuki said:

I'm usually quite tolerant of people but what comes under the toxic category include:

Sexism

Racism/ Prejudice of any other sort

Insulting and swearing at others

Hate speech

Passive Aggressive behaviour and verbally or physically aggressive

For gaming specifically: People who troll and bully newer players, cheaters and those who are rude/arrogant on chats, uncooperative players. 

Personally I hate people who put categorise everyone into one basket and make dumb generalisations. I hate it when people assume that everyone who plays jrpg or FF is an "otaku". I play those games but don't have any interest in things like akihabara or maid cafes etc.

I love the old JRPGs like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 6, Final Fantasy 7 and the original Secret of Mana. I don't like the newer JRPGs, especially the newer Final Fantasy games that I think are full of tripe.

To be frank the Yakuza games appeal to me more than any JRPG like Ni No Kuni 2 or whatever else comes out of the big Japanese gaming companies. I find Japanese culture fascinating, but I don't like most anime or hentai.

Most generalizations are made without any forethought.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Charizarzar said:

The Last of Us’ mp is one of my favourites but I’ve always found a portion of that community pretty toxic. The first time I played I apparently took someone’s kill so my first memory is some French guy screaming (no exaggeration) at me over the mic. I had to turn off messages while playing because I’d get hate mail either telling me I suck/blaming me for their death or boasting about finally being able to get a kill after my team had been dominating. Then the reddit community calls people noobs if they use certain loadouts (shocking that someone might want to have a stealth loadout in a stealth game?). Can these people not just play for fun?

And I’ve also come across toxic or selfish people who ruin a boost and want to join again later lol. I guess maybe they don’t realise they’ve done anything wrong. 1f604.png

I've seen that so many times, there is always that one gobturd that will bail on everyone else as soon as they get themselves the trophy in a boost sesh.

Seriously, I am 100% convinced that some of these fookers were conceived through anal sex!  Its the only locical explanation......

On 12/19/2018 at 10:40 PM, Charizarzar said:

And I’ve also come across toxic or selfish people who ruin a boost and want to join again later lol. I guess maybe they don’t realise they’ve done anything wrong. ?

Something similar has happened to me on TLOU. a french player was insulting me and i humbled him because he was a trash talker.. told me he wanted 1vs1 because he didnt admit that a woman had a better score than him. LMAO
Edit: that excuse about loadouts
remind me of those people who dont know how to dance and say the room is crooked
  Online players are among the most comic out there, much better than circus clowns :D 

Edited by Nimera
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 12/12/2018 at 10:46 PM, CMH777 said:

1. Inconsistent boosters. Back in 2010-2014 I would very rarely have issues with finding people to boost trophies with no matter the game. Today setting up boosting groups is not very reliable due to MANY people not showing up or willing to actually boost the game. I get that people have others things to do, so do i. But people tend to just join boosting groups just for the sake of it with no real intentions to be there.

I think the problem is impatience.

The thing is now, there are so many things that can distract us. Smartphones, our iPads, etc etc. It's no longer just a computer desktop or just a television with a game console hooked onto it.

I generally try to avoid boosting as much as I can because more often than not I'm NOT having fun and having to rely on strangers to help you get your trophies is pretty much a flip of the coin. I get that people have a schedule and you have to adjust to when they can be ready.

I used to be a part of a raid guild in World of Warcraft. Basically always online, and you literally had to rely on at least 10 - 12 people to help you down a boss. That was the big draw, you couldn't just run in like an idiot, you had to learn the game and over time you got better. I don't think you can have that today. People are far too impatient to spend a few hours on a raid.

A lot of people now I feel just jump straight into a game and ask to get handed trophies on a silver platter, without taking the time to learn the game mechanics. I've seen this a lot, especially in games like Red Dead Redemption where now you literally have to get lucky to get the Pa Poker Ace and Kingpin trophies. Nowadays a lot of people will just leave the session and then you're short of players you need to help you boost.

I personally avoid multiplayer games most of the time because I can't stand playing with other people.  [Starts Zootopia impression] Are there good people out there?  Sure!  Do the bad greatly outnumber them?  Yes, yes they do.

In my quest for platinum (or 1000G, back in the day) on every game I play, I have had to endure some MP experiences.  A lot of boosting is usually involved (game's like AC:Brotherhood and TLOU spring to mind, with the former being nearly impossible to get organically), but often times I find myself playing the MP as it was intended.  Occasionally I'll even enjoy it.  I enjoyed playing TLOU base MP (the DLC trophies were harder), for instance.  Coop is another thing altogether, like the ME3 experience was fantastic - no TK, no PvP, all coop!  But once in a great while I'll subject myself to an online experience that is both fun and incredibly toxic.  Enter: Rainbow Six Siege.

If you want to know what true online toxicity is, play this game.  Even on casual (as opposed to ranked), people are insane.  Randoms yelling at you?  That's normal, doesn't even phase me, happens literally every match (though usually they yell at others, but nonetheless, I have to hear it).  And you could say 'just mute them'.  HA!  You know what happens when a team finds out you don't have a mic or muted them?  TK every round by a different player and then voted out of the match right before the end so you waste your time and get 0 points.  Sure, you could mute one or two people if they're not doing anything other than practicing their animal mating calls, but if you mute all, don't have a mic, or don't contribute verbally, especially in ranked, you will have a really hard time.  So I'm always mic'd, and I almost never talk, but I suffer the insufferable sounds of 12 year olds who think they're hilarious (when often it's just blatant racism being spouted the entire match).  And that's just the beginning.  Team killing is rampant, even with the most recent changes to reverse damage.  People will TK for a million and one reasons, and not a single one of them is ever valid.  Holding an angle waiting to see an enemy head, and the second you do your stupid teammate runs right in front of you?  Yep, happens all the time.  And what happens the next round?  They TK you.  And the next round?  Their friend who's also in the match TKs you.  Vote kicking in causal is beyond infuriating.  When I play solo, I often stick to casual cause ranked isn't really any fun without people you know communicating properly.  But casual is absolute nonsense most of the time.  I can't count high enough to tell you how many times my team has rushed in and all died within 20 seconds of the round starting, leaving me with a 1v5 situation, only to initiate vote kicks repeatedly the rest of the round because I'm either A) Not rushing, B.) Not single-handedly killing an entire team, C) Not doing it the way they do (which is usually 'poorly'), or D) I'm still alive and they're jealous.  Then, of course, if I can't manage the 1v5 miracle ace (which I surprisingly have a few times), they vote kick me from the match.  Is that the end of it?  Nope, of course not!  Let's talk about smurfs...  If you aren't familiar with a smurf, it's a player who is really good who creates a second, low ranked, low level account to play against bad/new players to dominate them and feel they have a large e-peen.  If you play ranked and have ever been ranked at Copper or Bronze, you're very familiar with them.  They are the worst.  What's even worse, is they often meme bomb you from alt-accounts (again, usually offensive stuff, including blatant racism) while you're trying to play, which is a constant distraction.  Sure, you can report them and Sony will almost assuredly do nothing about it, but that's an even bigger waste of your time.  Luckily I haven't run into too many of these accounts/matches recently as I tend to play with mic'd friends in ranked (which is where they live and feed off the souls of other gamers) and have upped my rank enough to mainly avoid them.  For instance, I haven't been copper since the first season I played a couple years ago.  But they are still out there.

If you've played R6: Siege, but haven't run into much or any of this, then you're either very low level or incredibly fortunate (and probably play with a squad of friends).  I envy you, truly.

2 hours ago, Spaz said:

I think the problem is impatience.

The thing is now, there are so many things that can distract us. Smartphones, our iPads, etc etc. It's no longer just a computer desktop or just a television with a game console hooked onto it.

I generally try to avoid boosting as much as I can because more often than not I'm NOT having fun and having to rely on strangers to help you get your trophies is pretty much a flip of the coin. I get that people have a schedule and you have to adjust to when they can be ready.

I used to be a part of a raid guild in World of Warcraft. Basically always online, and you literally had to rely on at least 10 - 12 people to help you down a boss. That was the big draw, you couldn't just run in like an idiot, you had to learn the game and over time you got better. I don't think you can have that today. People are far too impatient to spend a few hours on a raid.

A lot of people now I feel just jump straight into a game and ask to get handed trophies on a silver platter, without taking the time to learn the game mechanics. I've seen this a lot, especially in games like Red Dead Redemption where now you literally have to get lucky to get the Pa Poker Ace and Kingpin trophies. Nowadays a lot of people will just leave the session and then you're short of players you need to help you boost.

God, you sound like such a boomer. Maybe the internet just isnt for you.

Plenty of people still do raids in games, what are you even saying?

This man wouldnt have an original thought if it knocked him upside the head.

Edited by WatertownsFinest
  • Like 3