Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

matigrosso91

8 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

I never understood the hatred for The Last Jedi.

It's an entertaining fantasy movie, but also an abysmal Star Wars movie. It's literally nonsensical, mean spirited and retcons all previous movies.

I dont even need to talk about Skywalker or how he went from "redeem evil at any cost" to "kill sleeping children". TLJ established that you can obliterate any space weapon by ramming it at hyperspeed, making any future space weapon moot and creating the puzzling question of why this hasnt been a tactical strategy since the dawn of hyperspeed (or like last week against Starkiller Base).

Everyone who approved the script should have been fired frankly.

Sure, at the day were talking about movies of space wizards, but comic movies are also silly little live action cartoons.

Except one cinematic universe makes billions. The other floundered until disbanded. The difference: one embraced their history and what the fans expected, the other mutilated the source and characters to be near unrecognizable. It's clear which path SW is on.

Edited by Startyde
  • Like 1

I will see this movie just to finish off the trilogy (debating whether I will pay to see it in theatres or just wait for it to come to netflix) but Last Jedi is the worst of the main series films (and yes I am putting it behind Attack of the Clones) and Force Awakens barely squeaks above AotC and Phantom Menace (and honestly PM may actually have more scenes I enjoyed but more scenes that I hated as well).

The new trilogy is beyond terrible and the only saving grace was Rogue One.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Caesar Clown said:

Disney is claiming it will be on "hiatus" for the movies after this one. How long that hiatus lasts, who knows.

Personally i would rather this one be the last movie, i don't wanna see this franchise milked forever and ruining the good name the franchise has had. If Disney wanna continue on with making something for it, i'd much rather seem them continue with cartoon series other then more movies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rpg49ers said:

Well they have Avatar 2 coming Dec 2020 and part 3 2021, Star wars should return in 2022.

Hope not. Hopefully people get shitty with this movie and there won't be a new Star Wars til 2122 when it'll be a true story of how Earth fought some stars from another galaxy.

1 hour ago, Startyde said:

I dont even need to talk about Skywalker or how he went from "redeem evil at any cost" to "kill sleeping children". TLJ established that you can obliterate any space weapon by ramming it at hyperspeed, making any future space weapon moot and creating the puzzling question of why this hasnt been a tactical strategy since the dawn of hyperspeed (or like last week against Starkiller Base).

I'm willing to bet they won't even address this in Episode IX either. At best it will be some kind of handwaved explanation that probably won't really help at all. And even then you still have to essentially backtrack the entirety of TLJ in order for anything to make sense.

11 hours ago, Charizarzar said:

It was a bad idea to have a different director for TLJ; Rian clearly wanted to take things in a different direction to whatever JJ had been building up to with Rey’s background and Snoke. I didn’t hate TLJ but felt that it didn’t really add much to the story other than the stuff with Luke. 

Oh it absolutely wasn't a great idea to change directors mid trilogy (at least not if the 2nd director apparently received no clues as to where the 1st one thought the story should go) and quite frankly I'm personally not sad that most of the TLJ stuff is apparently thrown out the window as I didn't really enjoy the movie a whole lot but still "retconning" almost an entire movie just feels sooo cheap to me.

(Side note: If someone out there enjoyed the TLJ, good on them. No seriously good on you, we've all got different tastes in movies and if you genuinely enjoyed the film no harm done to the rest of us right?) 

My main issue with this whole "retcon" situation is that it really just reinforces the idea that no one involved with this had any idea where they wanted the story to go. Like to be fair I'm pretty sure good old George didn't have the whole original trilogy planned at episode 4 release, but I have to believe that by the time Empire strikes back released he had at least planned where he wanted Return of the Jedi to go regardless of how well received EP5 would be. Like can you imagine if EP6 had retconned the whole "I'm your father" plot with either Vader or Palp going "Nah man we we're totally just screwing with you" simply because the fans didn't seem to like that idea?  

Oh well who knows. No point in further overanalyzing this short trailer here since by the time the movie actually releases I could be completely in the wrong and they actually somehow managed to stick to their guns make a great movie that's also a satisfying conclusion to their sequel trilogy ... I'm not exactly holding my breath here but we can all dream right?

I can't get hyped at all after they destroyed it with episode 8. I remember I almost shed a tear at the first teaser of force awakens when the fucking millenium falcon was flying into the tie fighter on the desert planet. It seems like the whole trilogy was over before it even began. 

As with every SW film, 99% of the internet has already decided whether they're gonna like or hate it. 

As for me, as someone who liked The Last Jedi, I'm hyped. It might suck, sure, but I'll wait to see it before I decide on that.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Stan Lee said:

As with every SW film, 99% of the internet has already decided whether they're gonna like or hate it. 

As for me, as someone who liked The Last Jedi, I'm hyped. It might suck, sure, but I'll wait to see it before I decide on that.

I'd hazard a guess that a lot of the hate side, myself included, will still form their own opinion by watching it to round out the series regardless, just not in theatres. For me it's not "I'm not gonna see it" bad, it's "I'm not paying to see it" bad. TFA was thoroughly mediocre but I still gave TLJ a chance, not so for this one.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

...for people waiting on Netflix.

Will the Star Wars series not be part of what's being taken off for Disney's new streaming service in, I believe, November?

Yep. Everything Disney owned will be removed from Netflix this year since Disney has their own streaming service now, Disney+. 

I'll be watching this only because I've already tortured myself with the first two so I might as well watch the finale. Plus I feel you aren't allowed to properly hate something unless you've already experienced it first.

Edited by majob
  • Like 1

My problem with the trailer is that it just seems like more Episode 7 - JJ Abrams just has no ability to make something original. Everything is a callback or a retread of the OT. I had my problems with Last Jedi too but I liked it more than Force Awakens because I didn't end the movie with the feeling that I'd "seen all this shit before". If that's what people want, then yeah whatever, but if it's more fanservice crap like EP7 then I'll just skip this until it's out on one of the streaming services.

On ‎13‎.‎04‎.‎2019 at 5:57 PM, Valyrious said:

Terrible like your grammar? Or worse?

How old are you, 10? It seems so. I am no American, so I don't need to speak Americanish. Show me your German Skills. There are none, am I right?

Star Wars 8 is the terriblest Star Wars Movie of all time, and that is Canon. It is no second Opinion out there.

Edited by Sega-Ryudo
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sega-Ryudo said:

How old are you, 10? It seems so. I am no American, so I don't need to speak Americanish. Show me your German Skills. There are none, am I right?

Star Wars 9 is the terriblest Star Wars Movie of all time, and that is Canon. It is no second Opinion out there.

Funny you label your opinion as this. Remember when there was a change.org petition at one point begging for TLJ to be stripped from the official Star Wars canon?

PhijPZB.gif

10 hours ago, Sega-Ryudo said:

Star Wars 9 is the terriblest Star Wars Movie of all time, and that is Canon. It is no second Opinion out there.

It's a shame you don't speak Americanish. It's the most important language ever created. If you wrote fan fiction about how bad Star Wars Episode IX was, I'd read it.

On 4/13/2019 at 2:45 PM, Dr_Mayus said:

I will see this movie just to finish off the trilogy (debating whether I will pay to see it in theatres or just wait for it to come to netflix) but Last Jedi is the worst of the main series films (and yes I am putting it behind Attack of the Clones) and Force Awakens barely squeaks above AotC and Phantom Menace (and honestly PM may actually have more scenes I enjoyed but more scenes that I hated as well).

The new trilogy is beyond terrible and the only saving grace was Rogue One.

Holy shit, I wasn't gonna comment on this thread, I just ducked in to see the ratio of people who enjoyed TLJ to sane people, and I'm glad you're part of the latter, everyone else, I don't really remember the names of / haven't seen much. 

Also yeah, Rogue One was pretty decent. Like, I mean, it's still no Kyle Katarn but like, whatever. Still liked it.

I hope 9 is good but I mean, I have 0 hype really. I've been trying to get hyped for well over a year now but I was super hyped post-TFA and then TLJ just kinda took a shit on all of that and it's like, there goes 2 years of hype for nothing, I've now got another 2 years to try to hype myself up, and ultimately there's a 4 year gap between Episode 7 and what I hope will be a worthy follow up in Episode 9. Also Rise of Skywalker is a cliche of a title. And Papa Palpatine coming back? Probs just a hologram, but if that is the Death Star floating in the ocean that's gonna make for a pretty cool shot. 

I'll state my case in a few lines: Fuck Disney, fuck the Johnsons and their forced "political correct" and "forced feminism" agenda, fuck most of the characters (only a few select can be saved, the rest are forgettable) and fuck that piece of steaming crap called "The Last Jedi". I spent money to see that movie, i wasted little more than 2 hours of my life (that no one in this creation will return to me), it was a shitfest regarding every aspect of it, i didn't watch that thing called "The history of Han Solo" and i won't watch "Episode 9" (not even Palpatine can save this drowning "Titanic"). They had a golden chance to explain everything and to make it sense in "The Last Jedi" and they flushed everything away. P.D: Don't mention me that abominable character called Rey; at the point her story is developing, she will be capable of earning the "Mittigate no Gouki" and challenging both Thanos with the gauntlet and the gems and Dr Manhattan at the same time.

• Like 1

I just wish they would just kill off this franchise for good. 

Harry Potter ended when it needed to be ended. Lord of the Rings ended when it needed to be ended. The Hobbit, while I think it’s nowhere near as good as anything the Peter Jackson directed trilogy gave us, was at least fairly decent. 

Star Wars just keeps coming up because it’s the most profitable and successful sci-fi franchise of all time, so they need to keeping milking what’s left of it because there are many millions of people out there who will still pay an arm and a leg to watch it the day those movies are released. 

Thankfully Indiana Jones, one of my favorite movie franchises ever, has just four main films to it’s name. If they started cranking out movies like they have for Star Wars then I would be absolutely disgusted. 

It’s like The Simpsons and South Park. Both should of been killed off a long time ago, and it’s evident with their declining fan bases. 

Edited by Spaz

2 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Thankfully Indiana Jones, one of my favorite movie franchises ever, has just four main films to it’s name. If they started cranking out movies like they have for Star Wars then I would be absolutely disgusted.

Well, they're making Indiana Jones 5, it has release date on mid 2021, i think. Please don't hate me, don't kill the messenger ?