The future of gaming is scary

patrickogorman19

On 26/10/2019 at 8:41 AM, realm722 said:

If the AAA games aren't your cup of tea, there will continue to be an abundance of indies breaking the mold that you can try out. They'll fill the market gap if AAA fails people.

This. And maybe try looking at games on other platforms than just PlayStation? I don't remember finding any games of interest on PS that were released this year.

On 10/24/2019 at 6:14 AM, patrickogorman19 said:

Those companies you have listed have copped a lot criticism however games like FIFA and COD sell well every year anyway. Most people never heard about devil May Cry 5 or Sekiro.

Devil May Cry V and Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice aren't exactly obscure. Sure they didn't generate the buzz FIFA or Call of Duty have, Days Gone received a lot more exposure. Capcom and From Software can still make pretty good games, which is more than what I can say for a number of western companies, particularly someone like Bethesda who released the disaster that was Fallout 76.

I've been saying this for years now. Some of the most popular stuff, whether it's video games or another entertainment medium, isn't necessarily the best in terms of quality.

Call of Duty attracts the braindead masses. Multiplayer is where the money is at. I couldn't be asked to play Call of Duty or Battlefield because neither franchise has really evolved in the past few years. It's the same bullshit every single year, with microtransactions, lootboxes and the occasional DLC that is overpriced.

FIFA fans are just as stupid. Madden fans will buy the same shit every year that barely makes any changes from last year's game. Garbage.

As far as this year goes, Resident Evil 2, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice and Devil May Cry V look the most tempting and are probably the best the AAA industry has to offer. Days Gone is just alright, simply for the fact that it just improves what's already been done hundreds of times in other games. Everything else doesn't interest me.

I would advise tapping into the indie game market and looking for more niche AA - AAA titles. You may come across a hidden gem, and when I do come across one I'm thankful for it.

The western mainstream gaming market is absolute crap. The east, while they come out with their share of bullshit like Square's Final Fantasy XV, has shown a bit more promise and integrity.

21 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Devil May Cry V and Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice aren't exactly obscure. Sure they didn't generate the buzz FIFA or Call of Duty have, Days Gone received a lot more exposure. Capcom and From Software can still make pretty good games, which is more than what I can say for a number of western companies, particularly someone like Bethesda who released the disaster that was Fallout 76.

I've been saying this for years now. Some of the most popular stuff, whether it's video games or another entertainment medium, isn't necessarily the best in terms of quality.

Call of Duty attracts the braindead masses. Multiplayer is where the money is at. I couldn't be asked to play Call of Duty or Battlefield because neither franchise has really evolved in the past few years. It's the same bullshit every single year, with microtransactions, lootboxes and the occasional DLC that is overpriced.

FIFA fans are just as stupid. Madden fans will buy the same shit every year that barely makes any changes from last year's game. Garbage.

While I completely agree with the general sentiment, I feel people in this thread are very quick to discard highly popular games as braindead trash. I play a lot of newly released games, and dabble in many different genres, both indie and AAA. Like you mentioned, yes there are many casual gamers that only have a console for the yearly iterations of games such as FIFA, madden and CoD, and yes, they will pretty much buy these no matter what. But how is it fair to say they suck or aren't worth paying for? I have a massive collection and backlog of wonderful games a lot of you would also have played and enjoyed, but I also really love football and watch it religiously. So because of this, I buy Fifa when it releases, because I know that whilst they are usually very similar and don't have incredible upgrades every year, I enjoy it for what it is. Am I now classed as a stupid Fifa fan to you?

I know that these companies and developers do some dodgy shit and I know how greedy they can be, but there is a market demand for sports games that needs to be supplied, and they supply it, and that's how this stuff works. I don't really know where I am going with this, it just pisses me off when popular releases are immediately ridiculed and ignored because the people on this site don't play these types of games. CoD copped backlash for an empty BO4 with no campaign, and in turn they focus on creating a high budget and quality single player campaign that is receiving its fair share of praise. But people instead of being happy they listened and provided something that was wanted, like removing loot boxes and making all new maps and content free updates, which is what CoD has done, they just throw it in the garbage pile in their head without batting an eyelid.

Games that shit the bed really do need to be called out I agree, along with the ones that are extremely greedy and deceptive in their monetising, but it is just lazy to keep rolling out the same franchises just because they are large and easy targets. 

As for the original future of gaming crap, does everyone remember like 4 years ago when multiplayer was in everything and people were starting to get scared that single player games were going to die out, but heaps of developers kept saying that they aren't going away, and now we get a steady flow of them every year, as we always have and will continue to get? Good games aren't dying, stop overreacting

• Like 3

Scary is putting it lightly. 

I still feel the idea of digitally downloading games is the work of Satan. If/when all games are digital who will have the right to sell them? Sony, Publishers?

Without competition from anybody else prices for games will get out of control. 

The Australian PS Store is already an incredible rip off. Standard edition for new releases are $99.99. Fuck that off!

I can get off my arse and drive to a games store and pay $60 - $80 for the same thing, if not a special edition and at least I get a piece of plastic with a cd inside.

When it comes to micro-transactions I personally couldn't give the slightest fuck if they are in a game or if people decide to spend 100s of dollars on the shit. It's their money, they can spend it on whatever they want.

GAMES AS A SERVICE! ??

This criminal practice of releasing unfinished games at full price needs to end.

Thankfully there are still developers and publishers out there that take pride in what they do. So all hope is not lost, yet.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bairuto said:

While I completely agree with the general sentiment, I feel people in this thread are very quick to discard highly popular games as braindead trash. I play a lot of newly released games, and dabble in many different genres, both indie and AAA. Like you mentioned, yes there are many casual gamers that only have a console for the yearly iterations of games such as FIFA, madden and CoD, and yes, they will pretty much buy these no matter what. But how is it fair to say they suck or aren't worth paying for? I have a massive collection and backlog of wonderful games a lot of you would also have played and enjoyed, but I also really love football and watch it religiously. So because of this, I buy Fifa when it releases, because I know that whilst they are usually very similar and don't have incredible upgrades every year, I enjoy it for what it is. Am I now classed as a stupid Fifa fan to you?

The average person is an idiot. Granted I'm no better but at least I do my research ahead of time for these games, instead of paying $60 plus more for a AAA game that I typically regard to be unfinished at release.

I mean yeah, they'll accept any shit EA and Activision will throw at them. Star Wars Battlefront II generated a shit ton of negativity regarding it's microtransactions. Fallout 76 was a disappointment upon release and I definitely saw both games shitting the bed, which they deserved.

There's a reason I wait a few weeks or a few months before I dabble in a newer AAA game. What I'm doing isn't helping the company who made the game make money, but these publishers who back them up are so fucking rich who honestly cares if a few people rebel and wait for a price reduction? You got enough idiots out there who just blindly buy these games without question and it's extremely evident in the sports titles. Madden is the same shit every year, mostly because EA has a monopoly on NFL games. Call of Duty has had a lot of long time loyal fans leave the franchise but there are a lot more idiots who just buy the games because they want to battle with their friends online.

I vote with my wallet, which most people don't do. Malicious practices will continue as long as people still buy and support the companies. Don't get me started on microtransactions, I already know a few people in real life who have spent loads on microtransactions.

I watch football like everybody else, I just don't buy the games.

FIFA is EA Sports, and I refuse to buy any sports title at full price anymore. Just because you enjoy it for what it is, doesn't mean I can't criticize it and make my own opinion. Don't take this personally.

I know that these companies and developers do some dodgy shit and I know how greedy they can be, but there is a market demand for sports games that needs to be supplied, and they supply it, and that's how this stuff works. I don't really know where I am going with this, it just pisses me off when popular releases are immediately ridiculed and ignored because the people on this site don't play these types of games. CoD copped backlash for an empty BO4 with no campaign, and in turn they focus on creating a high budget and quality single player campaign that is receiving its fair share of praise. But people instead of being happy they listened and provided something that was wanted, like removing loot boxes and making all new maps and content free updates, which is what CoD has done, they just throw it in the garbage pile in their head without batting an eyelid.

A lot of people don't buy the sports games because of their grindy, boring trophy lists but that's besides the point.

I would like to see more competition in the sports market. Rocket League was done on a smaller budget that ended up being a massive success. I consider that to be a bit of a sports game with a twist. Why aren't there more games like that?

Call of Duty has a long, storied history of getting saturated with shit. It may not be the games themselves so much as it is the publisher throwing crap on it and people just blindly accepting it. It's without question one of the most popular gaming franchises of all time, and because of it's massive success, something like that probably isn't going to go without being milked.

Call of Duty Modern Warfare Remastered was initially bundled with Infinity Warfare. You had to buy Infinity Warfare to get Modern Warfare Remastered. That was done deliberately by Activision so people who wanted Modern Warfare Remastered would pay for Infinity Warfare, which made them a lot of extra profit. I understand why a lot of people were pissed off. The game has since been sold separately and has been offered on PlayStation Plus this year.

I honestly have a hard time understanding how people can just accept whatever Battlefield or Call of Duty is being thrown their way. I can't look at these franchises without taking into account the shit that happened in the past. Doesn't mean it can't happen again, but people in general have short attention spans.

If you want my suggestion of what AAA games should be like, just look at God of War 2018 and Marvel's Spider-Man. They didn't need to have a bunch of crap on top of them for them to sell, God of War doesn't have any DLC or Season Pass and I commend Sony Santa Monica for that. They also got properly game tested, which I can't say for companies like EA, Activision or Ubisoft, especially their latest Tom Clancy game.

Call of Duty is thrown in the garbage pile because it is backed by a company that only cares for money and every other release that is put on the shelves reeks of greed. They don't need to release a game every single year but that's what they do because it generates a lot more profit than just taking a year off to make a game in development a bit better.

Games that shit the bed really do need to be called out I agree, along with the ones that are extremely greedy and deceptive in their monetising, but it is just lazy to keep rolling out the same franchises just because they are large and easy targets. 

As for the original future of gaming crap, does everyone remember like 4 years ago when multiplayer was in everything and people were starting to get scared that single player games were going to die out, but heaps of developers kept saying that they aren't going away, and now we get a steady flow of them every year, as we always have and will continue to get? Good games aren't dying, stop overreacting

That's what that idiot Phil Spencer of Microsoft was saying along with a bunch of others.

Xbox One today is a complete travesty. The Xbox One Scorpio I regard as a rather worthless purchase. Most of the games you can either get on Microsoft Windows 10 or on the PlayStation 4. Microsoft's exclusives are very lacking, Halo and Gears of War are a lost cause at this point.

A lot of PS3/360 games had tacked on multiplayer to mostly single player, definitely evident in the trophy lists. Multiplayer when done right is great, but when it fails it ends up being a travesty. Dead Star and Marvel Heroes Omega both had extremely short multiplayer time spans. Just goes to show that multiplayer doesn't always work.

These days I barely care about multiplayer. I've done enough on World of Warcraft and Runescape to last me a lifetime.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Spaz said:

The average person is an idiot. Granted I'm no better but at least I do my research ahead of time for these games, instead Fallout 76 was a disappointment upon release and I definitely saw both games shitting the bed, which they deserved.

Haha. Couldn't agree more with the first sentence.

Except for me, I'm the smartest person ever.

*preordered Fallout 76 Power Armour Edition - $400.

You knew this game was going to suck?

Thanks for not warning a highly intelligent person like myself of this.

That $400 could of been used for more important stuff like booze and hookers.

Thanks Spaz. Thanks a lot.

• Like 1

The future of gaming is indeed scary. Just looking at all the great games coming out in the near future then peeking back at my backlog makes me wonder where the hell I'm gonna find the time to play all them new goodies. That stuff freaks the hell outta me. I usually don't dream (or just don't remember) but I'm definitely having nightmares about this. I'm afraid to go to sleep. ?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bairuto said:

I'm going to add this month's Mlb the show free ps plus game as an example to prove your point. Did you see how many people dismissed it and said that they weren't even going to give it a look because it's a casual sport game? I understand the points other countries made about it not even being a popular sport in places besides the United states but to call it trash just because it's not something "you" play is quite ignorant, especially since it has depth (microtransactions aside). If you're paying for Plus, it's 'free' and you can't exactly say that's a bad price which makes the complaints unnecessary. I get paying full price for it but it's not like you're forced to buy it either. I'm basically agreeing with you as I also play all the casual sports or mainstream games when I can.

To get on topic though, gaming will always look scary when certain trends are copied (such as every game having online in most of the ps3 era, microtransactions, dualshock controls [a personal annoyance for me in its early stages], or games as a service) but there will always be some games that reignite love for gaming again that doesn't follow these trends (breathtaking campaigns such as god of war, fun mechanics such as gravity rush 2 and it's use of well...gravity manipulation, or even greater communication implementations such as apex legends' pinging that actually make multiplayer more of a team based game instead of the usual shooting and running since you can even communicate without a mic). It's just about putting the effort into looking for something that matches your tastes.

Edited by flashpool23
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Spaz said:

The average person is an idiot. Granted I'm no better but at least I do my research ahead of time for these games, instead of paying $60 plus more for a AAA game that I typically regard to be unfinished at release.

I mean yeah, they'll accept any shit EA and Activision will throw at them. Star Wars Battlefront II generated a shit ton of negativity regarding it's microtransactions. Fallout 76 was a disappointment upon release and I definitely saw both games shitting the bed, which they deserved.

There's a reason I wait a few weeks or a few months before I dabble in a newer AAA game. What I'm doing isn't helping the company who made the game make money, but these publishers who back them up are so fucking rich who honestly cares if a few people rebel and wait for a price reduction? You got enough idiots out there who just blindly buy these games without question and it's extremely evident in the sports titles. Madden is the same shit every year, mostly because EA has a monopoly on NFL games. Call of Duty has had a lot of long time loyal fans leave the franchise but there are a lot more idiots who just buy the games because they want to battle with their friends online.

I vote with my wallet, which most people don't do. Malicious practices will continue as long as people still buy and support the companies. Don't get me started on microtransactions, I already know a few people in real life who have spent loads on microtransactions.

I watch football like everybody else, I just don't buy the games.

FIFA is EA Sports, and I refuse to buy any sports title at full price anymore. Just because you enjoy it for what it is, doesn't mean I can't criticize it and make my own opinion. Don't take this personally.

A lot of people don't buy the sports games because of their grindy, boring trophy lists but that's besides the point.

I would like to see more competition in the sports market. Rocket League was done on a smaller budget that ended up being a massive success. I consider that to be a bit of a sports game with a twist. Why aren't there more games like that?

Call of Duty has a long, storied history of getting saturated with shit. It may not be the games themselves so much as it is the publisher throwing crap on it and people just blindly accepting it. It's without question one of the most popular gaming franchises of all time, and because of it's massive success, something like that probably isn't going to go without being milked.

Call of Duty Modern Warfare Remastered was initially bundled with Infinity Warfare. You had to buy Infinity Warfare to get Modern Warfare Remastered. That was done deliberately by Activision so people who wanted Modern Warfare Remastered would pay for Infinity Warfare, which made them a lot of extra profit. I understand why a lot of people were pissed off. The game has since been sold separately and has been offered on PlayStation Plus this year.

I honestly have a hard time understanding how people can just accept whatever Battlefield or Call of Duty is being thrown their way. I can't look at these franchises without taking into account the shit that happened in the past. Doesn't mean it can't happen again, but people in general have short attention spans.

If you want my suggestion of what AAA games should be like, just look at God of War 2018 and Marvel's Spider-Man. They didn't need to have a bunch of crap on top of them for them to sell, God of War doesn't have any DLC or Season Pass and I commend Sony Santa Monica for that. They also got properly game tested, which I can't say for companies like EA, Activision or Ubisoft, especially their latest Tom Clancy game.

Call of Duty is thrown in the garbage pile because it is backed by a company that only cares for money and every other release that is put on the shelves reeks of greed. They don't need to release a game every single year but that's what they do because it generates a lot more profit than just taking a year off to make a game in development a bit better.

That's what that idiot Phil Spencer of Microsoft was saying along with a bunch of others.

Xbox One today is a complete travesty. The Xbox One Scorpio I regard as a rather worthless purchase. Most of the games you can either get on Microsoft Windows 10 or on the PlayStation 4. Microsoft's exclusives are very lacking, Halo and Gears of War are a lost cause at this point.

A lot of PS3/360 games had tacked on multiplayer to mostly single player, definitely evident in the trophy lists. Multiplayer when done right is great, but when it fails it ends up being a travesty. Dead Star and Marvel Heroes Omega both had extremely short multiplayer time spans. Just goes to show that multiplayer doesn't always work.

These days I barely care about multiplayer. I've done enough on World of Warcraft and Runescape to last me a lifetime.

Not every sports game is bad Cricket 19 is good.

4 hours ago, Bairuto said:

How could like I stop playing after 16 because it was so boring. Career mode use to be way better in the PS2 when you can have coaches and control your ticket prices.

17 hours ago, patrickogorman19 said:

That’s all you’re going to say? Really? 

How could like I stop playing after 16 because it was so boring. Career mode use to be way better in the PS2 when you can have coaches and control your ticket prices.

It was better because the PS2 was during a time when sports games weren’t so blatantly shoved out trying to make a profit margin.

Today I just see Madden, NBA 2K and Live, and FIFA. NHL hasn’t seen any real changes to its games but like MLB it’s a bit more niche so at least I’ll give it that.

The mainstream sports game market is a pile of shit. No innovation at all. Madden is such a boring piece of crap, and the fact EA -STILL- fucks up the game mechanics that were better in past games astonishes me.  

You hold a valid point there. But imo, Japanese games are god tier because they are from Japan.  Japan has made great games in the past that made it to the west and are superior to Western games. Square-Enix (A hit or a miss sometimes, but still one of my favorite gaming companies, Bamco, Capcom (Which has redeemed itself with MegaMan 11, Monster Hunter World, DMC5 and RE2 Remake) Sega and my most favorite gaming company of all, Nintendo has made great Triple AAA games in the past and today's era and they show no sign of slowing down (I think).

So all I can say that the future of gaming is looking bright and that's all I can say right now.

9 hours ago, Spaz said:

It was better because the PS2 was during a time when sports games weren’t so blatantly shoved out trying to make a profit margin.

Today I just see Madden, NBA 2K and Live, and FIFA. NHL hasn’t seen any real changes to its games but like MLB it’s a bit more niche so at least I’ll give it that.

The mainstream sports game market is a pile of shit. No innovation at all. Madden is such a boring piece of crap, and the fact EA -STILL- fucks up the game mechanics that were better in past games astonishes me.  

Yes I know all those games have terrible business practises but unfortunately those companies have a business goal is to make money. If people buy those games or micro transactions then I don't blame. I blame the customer who play those sports games they are the problem, they think those games are the best in the world. The sports game market needs more competion that's the real problem. 

19 minutes ago, patrickogorman19 said:

Yes I know all those games have terrible business practises but unfortunately those companies have a business goal is to make money. If people buy those games or micro transactions then I don't blame. I blame the customer who play those sports games they are the problem, they think those games are the best in the world. The sports game market needs more competion that's the real problem. 

Competition is good because it entices the rival to try to outdo their competitors.

For instance, God of War and Uncharted were created to help rival Microsoft, who had Halo and Gears of War as their exclusives. Now, much of that passion and creativity is gone.

If two - three companies were allowed to make FIFA and Madden, wouldn't you agree that we'd see a bit more innovation and originality? I mean cmon. Madden is the same shit every year, they can't even make the graphics up to par with a number of third party titles, and the games are generally buggy and glitchy on release. FIFA I can imagine is sort of the same thing more or less, I don't care about FIFA, that's for you European trophy hunters and Australians.

NBA has EA and 2K Games, which is better than one. Still those two corporations are a pile of shit. The NBA 2K20 Deluxe Edition was being sold for just under a hundred dollars, pure money grab if you ask me.

The customers are your typical dumbasses who buy up the latest sports games anyway because they have to have them to play online. Of course, they're not generally trophy hunters, so they couldn't care less.

• Like 2

On 10/29/2019 at 4:32 AM, DizzyDavidson said:

The future of gaming is indeed scary. Just looking at all the great games coming out in the near future then peeking back at my backlog makes me wonder where the hell I'm gonna find the time to play all them new goodies. That stuff freaks the hell outta me. I usually don't dream (or just don't remember) but I'm definitely having nightmares about this. I'm afraid to go to sleep. ?

Glad to hear, the new shiny games look good, in your eyes.

I haven't seen anything I'd personally rate, over a 2/5 in years.

The lack of innovative game mechanics, repeated story lines with the exact same themes and character archetypes, tutorials that outright disrespect the player (click x to jump, use joystick to move, as if we can't figure these things out after 3 seconds) etc. Can't blame the companies though, real effort is pointless when people will buy anything, with enough marketing and brand recognition. 

Edited by VigilantCrow
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, VigilantCrow said:

Glad to hear, the new shiny games look good, in your eyes.

I haven't seen anything I'd personally rate, over a 2/5 in years.

The lack of innovative game mechanics, repeated story lines with the exact same themes and character archetypes, tutorials that outright disrespect the player (click x to jump, use joystick to move, as if we can't figure these things out after 3 seconds) etc. Can't blame the companies though, real effort is pointless when people will buy anything, with enough marketing and brand recognition.

I consider the PS2 and PS3 generations to have had more creativity and innovation for this very reason.

It's sad how we went from franchises that were all wildly different from one another to ones that are similar and in worse cases, close to identical. God of War, Ratchet and Clank, Tomb Raider, Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3, Hitman, a lot of people will tell you they were nothing like each other. And now, with the same type of control schemes, interfaces looking similar and throwing the same type of style into the gameplay, a number of them feel the same.

A lot of the newer stuff I see is just boring. God of War 2018 and Marvel's Spider-Man have been the best I've played and seen since last year as far as the mainstream gaming market goes. However a number of indie games and niche games I've played in my time were a lot better in design that didn't just outright copy what someone else had done in the past, they were actually a bit different and fun.

Bloodborne has been my favorite PS4 exclusive and it looks to stay that way. There has been nothing this year that has matched the scope and greatness of Bloodborne. I mean hell, Dark Souls Remastered is more fun and engaging than a lot of the shit I've seen this past year, maybe even the past two years.

The indie market gets crap from publishers like Ratalaika Games. Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2019 is the same shit, only with shiny new 4K graphics and a legion of idiots who just bought the game because it has Call of Duty in the title. Battlefield V was a bit crap, Fallout 76 was a massive disappointment and Bethesda even had the balls to charge $99 for a 12-month subscription on it.

There's still some good stuff out there, but with all the bad shit I can safely say the gaming market these days is a fucking mess.

There's a reason why I play a number of older games and look for indie gems. I'm not impressed with a lot of the new stuff, especially some of the crap coming from AAA games since it just looks and feels like something I've done before.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

Competition is good because it entices the rival to try to outdo their competitors.

For instance, God of War and Uncharted were created to help rival Microsoft, who had Halo and Gears of War as their exclusives. Now, much of that passion and creativity is gone.

If two - three companies were allowed to make FIFA and Madden, wouldn't you agree that we'd see a bit more innovation and originality? I mean cmon. Madden is the same shit every year, they can't even make the graphics up to par with a number of third party titles, and the games are generally buggy and glitchy on release. FIFA I can imagine is sort of the same thing more or less, I don't care about FIFA, that's for you European trophy hunters and Australians.

NBA has EA and 2K Games, which is better than one. Still those two corporations are a pile of shit. The NBA 2K20 Deluxe Edition was being sold for just under a hundred dollars, pure money grab if you ask me.

The customers are your typical dumbasses who buy up the latest sports games anyway because they have to have them to play online. Of course, they're not generally trophy hunters, so they couldn't care less.

I understand that you are a trophy hunter and I am in large part too, but to say that trophy hunting is a more noble way to play a game than someone who enjoys playing online multiplayer competitively is very self-serving.

If you are into My Team or Ultimate Team modes, then the Deluxe version for NBA 2K20 may be worth it, but I have never found a Deluxe version worth it for ANY game; this is not unique to sports games.  Typically, it is pay $20 more for a skin or two and early access to a weapon.  And maybe a theme if you buy digitally.  Garbage.

Agree that competition is good and that the annual improvements are not great for sports titles but if you look at these games over the course of say 3 years, they can improve a lot - graphically, gameplay, features.  I had not played NHL since NHL 17 and played the NHL 20 Beta and it felt like a very noticeable jump.

Edit - and as far as those saying gaming is not getting better, I 100% disagree.  Maybe not at the rate you want it too but the progress is real and forward.  I tried to go back to GTA IV to do the TBOGT (which was considered a masterpiece at the time on ps3) and what a clunky mess.  It has not aged well, controls, gameplay, graphics.

Edited by djb5f

Seriously, this thread has taken on such a silly turn, it's hardly readable.

I will simply say that anyone who is looking to video games to provide them with original "character archetypes" needs to understand the...limitations of the genre (lol). And of course, a healthy dose of "everyone's stupid but me" permeates the whole proceeding. 

Give me a break already.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I consider the PS2 and PS3 generations to have had more creativity and innovation for this very reason.

It's sad how we went from franchises that were all wildly different from one another to ones that are similar and in worse cases, close to identical. God of War, Ratchet and Clank, Tomb Raider, Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3, Hitman, a lot of people will tell you they were nothing like each other. And now, with the same type of control schemes, interfaces looking similar and throwing the same type of style into the gameplay, a number of them feel the same.

A lot of the newer stuff I see is just boring. God of War 2018 and Marvel's Spider-Man have been the best I've played and seen since last year as far as the mainstream gaming market goes. However a number of indie games and niche games I've played in my time were a lot better in design that didn't just outright copy what someone else had done in the past, they were actually a bit different and fun.

Bloodborne has been my favorite PS4 exclusive and it looks to stay that way. There has been nothing this year that has matched the scope and greatness of Bloodborne. I mean hell, Dark Souls Remastered is more fun and engaging than a lot of the shit I've seen this past year, maybe even the past two years.

The indie market gets crap from publishers like Ratalaika Games. Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2019 is the same shit, only with shiny new 4K graphics and a legion of idiots who just bought the game because it has Call of Duty in the title. Battlefield V was a bit crap, Fallout 76 was a massive disappointment and Bethesda even had the balls to charge $99 for a 12-month subscription on it.

There's still some good stuff out there, but with all the bad shit I can safely say the gaming market these days is a fucking mess.

There's a reason why I play a number of older games and look for indie gems. I'm not impressed with a lot of the new stuff, especially some of the crap coming from AAA games since it just looks and feels like something I've done before.

Innovation and unique concepts have historically happened in gaming, due to hardware limitations. We can look at the best example of this with Silent Hill's ironic mist, being used to limit objects on the player's screen.

As tech improves, developers are no longer forced to innovate unique ways to fit content onto CDs or cartridges. I honestly suspect that's a key reason why gaming has gotten boring. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Spaz said:

Cricket good

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2019 is the same shit

Beyond the surface, not quite. I'm not going to go indepth here, but there are multiple, very varied reasons to justify buying this game (some of which includes things pertaining to game mechanics, story, multiplayer, technology, post-release multiplayer plans, etc), Series like Call of Duty and Pokemon get far too much hate, especially when they function similar, and at times better, to other game series, including those beloved, that are formulaic and also reuse themes, character archetypes, assets, etc, but has people too bias to call them out for.

Edited by EcoShifter
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, djb5f said:

I understand that you are a trophy hunter and I am in large part too, but to say that trophy hunting is a more noble way to play a game than someone who enjoys playing online multiplayer competitively is very self-serving.

If you are into My Team or Ultimate Team modes, then the Deluxe version for NBA 2K20 may be worth it, but I have never found a Deluxe version worth it for ANY game; this is not unique to sports games.  Typically, it is pay $20 more for a skin or two and early access to a weapon.  And maybe a theme if you buy digitally.  Garbage.

Agree that competition is good and that the annual improvements are not great for sports titles but if you look at these games over the course of say 3 years, they can improve a lot - graphically, gameplay, features.  I had not played NHL since NHL 17 and played the NHL 20 Beta and it felt like a very noticeable jump.

Edit - and as far as those saying gaming is not getting better, I 100% disagree.  Maybe not at the rate you want it too but the progress is real and forward.  I tried to go back to GTA IV to do the TBOGT (which was considered a masterpiece at the time on ps3) and what a clunky mess.  It has not aged well, controls, gameplay, graphics.

So you couldn't go back to TBOGT because of outdated graphics and gameplay but you're currently playing Jedi Outcast from 2002? GTA IV is among the best videogames ever created, and TBOGT is probably the best dlc ever created, no matter how many years pass, fact B)

26 minutes ago, panikooooos said:

So you couldn't go back to TBOGT because of outdated graphics and gameplay but you're currently playing Jedi Outcast from 2002? GTA IV is among the best videogames ever created, and TBOGT is probably the best dlc ever created, no matter how many years pass, fact B)

Haha, the Jedi Outcast is terrible, worse than I expected and I stopped playing even though I am a Star Wars fan.  I might pick it back up at some point but thought it was not fair to pick on a 2002 game.  So clunky.

GTA IV WAS great but it is hard to play today.