Did you ever get a corrupted a game save file?

Zenpai

Have you ever had a save file corrupt on you?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever had a save file corrupt on you?

• Yes, plenty of times
    • Yes, just once or twice
    • Yes, but it was an accident (e.g. we had a backout while I was saving)
    • Nope, everything all right on this end.

Quick question I wanted to ask you guys today. I'm considering finally getting a Playstation Plus subscription, but I'm finding very little motivation to do so. I never buy digital games (I'm a 100% physical game collector) and hate playing online (only do so for online trophies, but the vast majority of my games don't even have those). The only thing that even makes me consider it is cloud saves.

That said... I'm still not even really sure it's worth it. I've only ever had save data trouble twice in my life, once because I've accidentally saved over a very old PS2 100% completion save data file (and I've only got myself to blame for that) and once because I was playing a party game with a bunch of friends and they accidentally ended up logging out of the game while it was auto-saving, corrupting it in the process.

But under normal conditions... I've never had any problems with save data corruption or anything like that. I try to take good care of my games and consoles and never do anything rash with them. The only possibility of an issue ocurring would be if save data got corrupted even during normal use.

Hence my question for you all today: have you ever had save data files corrupt on you? Just to see if they normally "behave" or if problems such as these are more common than I think.

Yeah, I experienced it twice and both the occurrences happened pretty recently while playing Uncharted 1 and Uncharted 3 remastered. I had to restart the first Uncharted despite having completed more than half of the game, and I gave up on earning the last easy DLC trophies on U3 because of this data corruption. That's why I got myself PS Plus.

Edited by The_Raltos
  • Like 1

That I can remember this happened to me twice: in “Need for Speed Most Wanted”, on the PS3, which was pretty bad, because although I already had the platinum, I still liked playing the game and I lost all my progress and in “Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris”, on the PS4, which although a frustrating situation, because I was close to 100%, it wasn’t that bad, since the game is pretty short, so I could redo everything quickly, with the experience that I already had.

These two situations were enough to make me frightened, so now I do a cloud save backup every time I do some progress in a game I’m working on.

That said, I pay for PS Plus, because basically living without multiplayer would be very hard for me, but since I am paying, I feel I should play some PS Plus games and take advantage of the cloud saves. I don’t think paying for PS Plus just because of the cloud saves is worth it, though, unless you have money you can spend freely. And, of course, inevitably, these problems only happen when you don’t have a backup. I never had a corrupted save file again, since I started doing backups. I am just scared that it might happen.

My MGSV save didn't work when I came back to 100% the game recently. The game would load, make a few sounds and just show me a black screen. I had to start from the beginning. I'm not sure what the problem was and if a cloud save could help, but if I had PS plus and used that feature I would try it.

Edited by Alderriz

I got it a lot when playing payday 2, it is why I just want to be done with the game get the plat and move on as this is pissing me off. same happen with 7 days to die but with that game everything was as buggy as fallout 76 but the problem with that was it was fun when it worked just gave up when the game thought it would be good to mess up the save when I just open my boxes of stuff.

Same with saves on ps3 the worse was world in flames, the game was okish and fun when nothing bad happen but the save could brake easy plus the ea servers were shit and still are

Edited by KANERKB

Once, Ratchet and Clank 2 on ps3. Had just started the ng+ run and the game crashed loading into the second planet. I closed the game and turned off the console multiple times before getting furious and going to bed. Wasn't until the morning I realised I could've just downloaded the previous save off the plus servers but, by then it was already too late. The corrupted save got uploaded and now I have to start it all over again, skill points and all. Still haven't found the motivation to do so.

I don't remember having corrupted saves since the PS2 (and that was mainly due to me using one of those big memory cards I believe) but I have had problems with trophies not unlocking after doing the requirements (ex: Getting the required amount of gold medals in GTA5) but I would usually backup my save to the cloud whenever I came close to unlocking a trophy and that has saved me from having to start all over.

1 hour ago, Zenpai said:

Hence my question for you all today: have you ever had save data files corrupt on you? Just to see if they normally "behave" or if problems such as these are more common than I think.

Usually happens to me every couple of months, usually it's game specific. 

Buy a couple 1GB USBs and backup your data to them. Redundancy backup is standard practice for computing.

I had Dragon's Dogma freeze up on my PS3 once in the middle of saving, and that corrupted everything on the console and obliged me to reset the entire thing.  Which bugged me at the time because I was ~95% done with Disgaea 4 and lost all of that work.

My solution wasn't to get PS+.  My solution was (and still is) to get a USB and to back up anything I feel necessary on a weekly basis.  I haven't had another corruption issue, so it hasn't been necessary from that perspective, but the ability to save-scum certain things has come in handy.

32 minutes ago, LucileRosethorn said:

When I was playing Resonance of Fate on the PS3 it corrupted my save file and PS3, I had to delete everything on it 1f643.png

10 minutes ago, acasser said:

I had Dragon's Dogma freeze up on my PS3 once in the middle of saving, and that corrupted everything on the console and obliged me to reset the entire thing.  Which bugged me at the time because I was ~95% done with Disgaea 4 and lost all of that work.

My solution wasn't to get PS+.  My solution was (and still is) to get a USB and to back up anything I feel necessary on a weekly basis.  I haven't had another corruption issue, so it hasn't been necessary from that perspective, but the ability to save-scum certain things has come in handy.

Wait, you got your entire consoles' data corrupted?!? What a nightmare!! Thankfully, I backup every single one of my save data as soon as I 100% their respective games, so this shouldn't be a problem.

53 minutes ago, jonads_ said:

Once, Ratchet and Clank 2 on ps3. Had just started the ng+ run and the game crashed loading into the second planet. I closed the game and turned off the console multiple times before getting furious and going to bed. Wasn't until the morning I realised I could've just downloaded the previous save off the plus servers but, by then it was already too late. The corrupted save got uploaded and now I have to start it all over again, skill points and all. Still haven't found the motivation to do so.

Wait... PS Plus can also upload corrupted save data?!? Kind of defeats the purpose of the whole thing, no?...

Edited by Zenpai
  • Like 1

Not on PSP/PS3/Vita/PS4. However, i corrupted the saves of one of my PS2 memory cards thanks to a crash with the Action Replay Max Evo "Memory Manager" feature. Now i have enough memory cards for multiple backups and i could even use FreeMcBoot to transfer my saves to just any compatible USB pendrive, and to PC...

Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China

The stand-alone 100% PSN version that is. Every time it loaded a level I got an error-code and had to reboot the game.

Worked fine until suddenly it said save file was corrupted. And of course my cloud save was also corrupted.

India, Russia and the Collection didn't have this issue.

2 hours ago, Zenpai said:

Wait, you got your entire consoles' data corrupted?!? What a nightmare!! Thankfully, I backup every single one of my save data as soon as I 100% their respective games, so this shouldn't be a problem.

Yup.  I literally had to re-format the console in order for it to allow me to do anything.  It would run the normal checks it does after an "unplanned shutdown" and refuse to go any further because of issues that turned up during that scan.

So after I re-formatted the console and re-downloaded all the stuff I needed to from the PSN Store, the next thing I did was run out and buy a USB drive.  That was more than seven years ago, and I still have stuff from those first days sitting on the stick.  I didn't lose any trophies, but I did lose progress in several games.

Knock on wood, I won't have this problem again.  But if I do, my losses will be much less than they were back then.

2 hours ago, Zenpai said:

Wait... PS Plus can also upload corrupted save data?!? Kind of defeats the purpose of the whole thing, no?...

Well I tried downloading it the next morning just to check and the same crash happened so I assume the corrupted data got uploaded. 

46 minutes ago, Deluziion90 said:

Dragonball Z: Kakarot. Seconds before my platinum. If not for cloud backup saved I was screwed. I got a blue screen and afterwards all my files were gone :/

That's heartbreaking,  I'm so sorry. I couldn't even think about trying again if that happened to me.

I had a similar thing happen to me in gundam versus (completely my fault) but not nearly so extreme.

• Like 1

Yes, it happened twice to me: Dead Island (PS3) and The Witcher 3 (PS4)

I ended up losing a big chuck of gameplay. Not only did The Witcher 3 have one corrupted save file, no, it had several corrupted save files which took me ages back. I lost a lot of stuff on both games, lost many hours.

So how did I handle these situations? Ragequitted on both and sold both games. 

I only buy digital now because of easy access, always up to date and my room stays neat. I don’t want games to take space in my house nor do I have the space for it.

7 hours ago, Todd Coward said:

I've played Fallout 3, New Vegas and Skyrim heavily. I guess that's all that need to be said. Bugthesda is just bethetic2122.png.

Bethetic haha nice one

I feel like it was more than once, but the one I remember the most was my Brutal Legends save on PS3. I was like 88% done with everything and when it got corrupted I sold the game and moved on. I think the save I had in the cloud was also affected, because I back up before turning it off. It was a known issue in the game.

14 hours ago, Deluziion90 said:

Dragonball Z: Kakarot. Seconds before my platinum. If not for cloud backup saved I was screwed. I got a blue screen and afterwards all my files were gone :/

Fuck. I'm playing it right now.

11 hours ago, LoveInHell said:

Bethetic haha nice one

Edited by Zenpai
  • Like 1