Vote on which classic Final Fantasy should get the next remake

ZitMeatloaf

Which classic Final Fantasy would you like to see get remade next?  

158 members have voted

1. 1. Which classic Final Fantasy would you like to see get remade next?

• Final Fantasy
    • Final Fantasy II
    • Final Fantasy III
    • Final Fantasy IV
    • Final Fantasy V
    • Final Fantasy VI
    • Final Fantasy VIII
    • Final Fantasy IX

So I realize the FFVII Remake is being broken up into multiple games, and the first installment took 5 years to get here after it was first announced, but why not dream about the next Final Fantasy game that might get the full modern AAA remake treatment? Vote for your choice and we can pretend like any of these games are going to happen in the next 15 years!

Vote for your FF of choice and explain your selection in the comments. I'm interested in seeing people's selections and their reasoning behind their choices. Will you be voting based on anything other than nostalgia? I've limited the selection to mainline entries from the PS1 era or earlier.

Personally, my vote is for Final Fantasy IV. It wasn't the first FF game I ever played (I'm old enough to have played the very first game on the NES at the time of its release), but it WAS the game that made me a fan of the series. I had it on the Super Nintendo and must have completed at least 6 playthoughs as a kid. I loved the story and the characters, I knew the game by heart (I could finish a playthrough in about 15 hours after my first time), and I have very fond memories. Final Fantasy VI would be a close second.

Edited by ZitMeatloaf
  • Like 1

Close between 4 and 9 for me based on the list. FF4 is so underrated and plays very much like 7, 8, and 9. The story and characters are fantastic so I really would like to see a remake of it, BUUUUT I voted for FF9. xD I just love the cast and overall, I find the story more memorable than the other choices. I can see the appeal in remaking 8 before 9, but I found the magics system to be absolutely broken and made the game too easy. I also like the story/characters in 4 and 9 better than 8.

Though, not mentioned above, I really would like to see Final Fantasy Tactics remade with permadeath (like the original) and a revamped, modernized job system because I think games like Fire Emblem show that SRPGs can sell well on consoles, and I'd be all over this!

• Like 2

Five will be the next one. No doubt about it.

They said in the past that they're doing them all. A few higher ups have even spoken out about how bad they felt for skipping 5 and 6 for 7. But that first chance they get they're going back to keep going. They already did 1-4 and After Years.

Edited by KingGuy420
  • Like 1

I hope they stay with PS1 games and after. They'll just fuck up games like FF V and FF VI. I'm sure I would cringe the first time I heard Kefka's voice.

FF VIII could definitely use a remake.The game had a lot of potential, but was a complete mess. We might finally learn who NORG is supposed to be!

To me, remaking a game is an opportunity to make a game better than it was. IX is my favorite of the series, but odds are the game wouldn't be any better if it were remade. It's already such a great game. That's why I would choose the worst of bunch, which for me would be VIII.

What would be really interesting is if they remake the first game. Make it just as visceral, cinematic and modern like Vii Remake. Since the original was a very old school style top down 8-bit JRPG...it would be literally like a whole new game and would be unlike any remake yet. 

Last time I had truly fun playing FF was with The Zodiac Age. I think that kind of game suits my current preferences better than the regular JRPG gameplay loop, of which type I have plenty in my backlog as is. So I would like to see some kind of pseudo-open world, overhauled version of FF 1 (maybe 2, since it's a bit "darker") as a minimum plot, maximum exploration/quest/hunt type gameplay. Not with this kind of look though, more drawn over realistic and keeping closer to amano designs. Not that it's going to happen, but I feel that would be the kind of thing I would follow with genuine interest rather than fearing how they're going to screw it up. Even if they did - well the games are mostly curiosities now with very few having strong feelings about them.

Final Fantasy VIII (8).

Because I want to see what the characters look like in better graphics as well as what their voice actors would be. Squall's will obviously be the VA from Dissidia, World of Final Fantasy & Kingdom Hearts but I'd like to see what the rest would sound like. Quistis has a VA in World of Final Fantasy as well so that one could obviously be used.

As for the rest of the characters... ?

Edited by SelectiveGamer

I'm mostly happy with how they're handling the Final Fantasy VII Remake. But I wouldn't want to see any of the others done the same way, especially my choice, Final Fantasy VI. 7 is already gonna take years to finish. If any of the others are done the same way, I'll be an old man by the time they're done!

2 minutes ago, Stan Lee said:

I'm mostly happy with how they're handling the Final Fantasy VII Remake. But I wouldn't want to see any of the others done the same way, especially my choice, Final Fantasy VI. 7 is already gonna take years to finish. If any of the others are done the same way, I'll be an old man by the time they're done!

I don't see how they can do them any other way but just me obviously.

1 minute ago, SelectiveGamer said:

I don't see how they can do them any other way but just me obviously.

I'd just be happy for them to be mostly the same gameplay and story-wise but with modern graphics- not photorealistic, they can be stylized in a way that harkens back to the old style, like what Octopath Traveller does. Maybe you're right and it just can't be done, but it's not like I'm demanding a remake of other games anyway.

• Like 2

I say none. Leave em be. It already takes Square long enough with 5 to 10 year development cycles being common now for them. They have their hands full with FFVII. We'll be lucky to even get that by 2023. I truly believe they haven't built out the rest of the world like that. 7 was originally a tech demo that completely took place in Midgar, so they just had to expand upon it. Having the whole world of Gaia is a completely different story. (I'm certain pieces will use similar aspects of FF15's map). 

Plus a lot of charm would be taken away. Personally I think the only reason why anyone is really cool with FFVII's remake is because of Advent Children already giving them voices and lifelike models, and then further being used in popular culture, more games like Kingdom Hearts, Crisis Core, etc. And again, there was hype and groundwork already laid from the tech demo. For the rest of the FF's there's too much that would have to be done, or too much that it would take away, or both.

• FFVI would be perfect story wise, but the voice acting could be terrible especially Kefka. FFVI would also require them to completely build the world out, pre and post destruction.
  • FFVIII would be fantastic character and world wise, but also has the voice acting issue. 
  • FFIV and FFIX's charm is already there in how they were done. Messing with them would take away from it and in turn, new IP's or Final Fantasy's. 
  • FF I, FFII and FFIII aren't nearly popular enough. Well, FFIII is but in a roundabout way so there wouldn't be much of a point. 

However, I'll say this, I know it's not considered a classic FF, but FFX could be redone in a great way due to it being easier to expand as well as the Sin/Yu Yevon storyline matching so much of what is actually going on in the world today (environment problems, something wiping people out that they have no answer for, using tech and not caring about how it affects the world, religion being a lie, people taking advantage over "followers", etc). It was also very popular, and there are backstories that were never explored that could be, plus they could redo the trash that is X-2 and the ridiculous audio book thing after that. 

Anyway, I'll stick to my original point. Let's get FFVII over with and get on something new...... that will take another decade to release.

• Like 1