The Last of Us: Part II Has No Difficulty Trophies

10 hours ago, PhantomFear94 said:

We also allow you to customize specific aspects of difficulty to your needs or desired experience. You can individually tweak difficulty settings related to incoming damage, enemy and ally effectiveness, stealth, and resources.

Are you kidding me? If you’re able to individually tweak specific settings related to the difficulty of the game then that’s pretty sad.

I can understand the ‘no difficulty related trophies’ aspect of things as it won’t discourage newcomers to the series and trophy hunters I suppose, but I think that the ability to individually change aspects of the game is a turn off. I will say that I thoroughly enjoyed TLOU and it’s survivor difficulty; it really added tons of replay value. Here’s to hoping DLC adds some difficulty-related stuff.

3 hours ago, HoorayForTyler said:

but I think that the ability to individually change aspects of the game is a turn off.

Why? It is an option, you don't need to tweak anything if you don't want, or you can make it harder if you think it is so easy... The more options of gameplay variations that they can add is the best to fit the the taste of everyone, you only need to worry for your experience, not the others.

• Like 2

Isn't platinum rarity or value on this site also largely a result of high total game owners and a challenging list? Something like a Call of Duty or GTA Platinum will always have a lower percentage due their series respective popularity. Even if a list is challenging or encourages you to experience everything a game has to offer that's still no guarantee that it will have a low percent, just look at Sekrio or Bloodborne. I think the value you derive from a particular trophy or list should come from the collection aspect and fun factor. Play the games you want to even if you don't necessarily get 100%.    

Edited by bikeman223

21 hours ago, Stardroid said:

If it ain't another AAA game with most likely an insanely easy trophy list. Getting a bit bored with them. The last game that was AAA that I remember was challenging was Wolfenstein New Colossus. 

man i hate games with one life setting. i played in another account because i love it but i know i wont get the trophy. 

48 minutes ago, SHADOW-KILLER-S2 said:

No grounded mode is good news for me. I never want to do Cabin resort chapter again on grounded with a helpless Ellie with almost no ammo. Took me 2 days to beat it and made my ps3 freeze a few times.

two days on grounded is good 

Grounded wasn't to bad especially when you apply some speedrun tactics to the harder parts. 

Actually on topic I'm happy it's just playing the game the way you want. No forced hard mode. If they add NG+ grounded as a trophy later on I don't care about that either I'll go for it anyways 

1 hour ago, SHADOW-KILLER-S2 said:

Took me 2 days to beat it and made my ps3 freeze a few times.

I wouldnt blame the game difficulty for your PS3 freezing tbh.....

Unsure about all the moaning about the trophy list here. Play the game how you want. If all the trophies are easy, then you'll get the platinum. If you want a challenge, guess what...  You can change the difficulty. What did people do before trophies!? Christ lol

• Like 1

I was prepared to platinum this game regardless of difficulty-related trophies. This isn't a big deal to me since I'm new to trophy hunting and I only do it casually. I was kinda happy to hear there wouldn't be MP because that would mean no MP trophies (before this accessibility talk came out). I didn't go for TLOU1's platinum because while I massively enjoyed Factions when I played it for the first time a few months ago, I royally sucked at it in comparison to pro players who have been playing for so long. ?

For people complaining about the lack of difficulty locked trophies, I'm not on the same page. I can see why they've taken this approach, so players from all backgrounds can still achieve the platinum and feel proud of it. I still understand the argument the other side is trying to make, but gaming (and trophies) are for everyone, regardless of how good or able they are. They'll likely put it as DLC the way Grounded was, so if you're interested in showing how good you are at the game and setting yourself apart, you can still do that. Everyone wins. xD

Edit: this reminds me a bit of people wanting MP trophies to be on DLC due to them being a pain sometimes (ignoring the server shutdown argument). That can still mean you "mastered" the game by doing the base game trophies. I don't think this is that different.

Edited by Mayellie
  • Like 2

BTW i just saw the complete list, a friend of mine in France got the game earlier and showed it to me on Zoom just 5 min ago, the game has 26 trophies, plat included, and it seems that you will have to do 2 playthroughs to fully upgrade Ellie, also the game has lots of collectables. A new game+ will be mandatory for the platinum trophy but it can be done on the easiest difficulty. 

Edited by jossmilan7412
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, HoorayForTyler said:

Are you kidding me? If you’re able to individually tweak specific settings related to the difficulty of the game then that’s pretty sad.

I can understand the ‘no difficulty related trophies’ aspect of things as it won’t discourage newcomers to the series and trophy hunters I suppose, but I think that the ability to individually change aspects of the game is a turn off. I will say that I thoroughly enjoyed TLOU and it’s survivor difficulty; it really added tons of replay value. Here’s to hoping DLC adds some difficulty-related stuff.

Turn off? wtf how is giving more options to the player a turn off. If you don't want to fiddle with the settings just play the hardest difficulty. There are people out there who like playing around with settings. Personally found grounded on the first game a lot of fun but I would much rather have something that can be tweaked to your liking.

• Like 2

A lot of people here complaining about the people complaining about the lack of difficulty mode trophies have completely missed the point. The "counterargument" that "we can still play on the hardest difficulty if we choose" is entirely irrelevant. I digress.

14 hours ago, HoorayForTyler said:

I can understand the ‘no difficulty related trophies’ aspect of things as it won’t discourage newcomers to the series and trophy hunters I suppose, but I think that the ability to individually change aspects of the game is a turn off.

It's actually a great and bad thing. It's great because it allows one to customize the difficulty to their choosing. It adds a layer of replayability that exceeds the traditional preset difficulties. It's bad when exploited by people who say they want a true challenge but only go halfway with the settings. While the feature won't be as robust as say the amazing difficulty customization in the Dishonored series (which I highly recommend you play for being an incredible series and especially to mess around with its engaging custom difficulty), it has been praised for its implementation in games, like the aforementioned and Shadow of The Tomb Raider as a recent example.

Here’s to hoping DLC adds some difficulty-related stuff.

Same. As I said before, they'll probably use the post-release 100% to pander to and satisfy the players who want a challenging list. (Plus, every single game Naughty Dog have made since Uncharted 2 has been giving additional trophy packs related to online multiplayer, grinds and difficulty.)

Edited by EcoShifter
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, EcoShifter said:

A lot of people here complaining about the people complaining about the lack of difficulty mode trophies have completely missed the point. The "counterargument" that "we can still play on the hardest difficulty if we choose" is entirely irrelevant. I digress.

It's actually a great and bad thing. It's great because it allows one to customize the difficulty to their choosing. It adds a layer of replayability that exceeds the traditional preset difficulties. It's bad when exploited by people who say they want a true challenge but only go halfway with the settings. While the feature won't be as robust as say the amazing difficulty customization in the Dishonored series (which I highly recommend you play for being an incredible series and especially to mess around with its engaging custom difficulty), it has been praised for its implementation in games, like the aforementioned and Shadow of The Tomb Raider as a recent example.

Same. As I said before, they'll probably use the post-release 100% to pander to and satisfy the players who want a challenging list. (Plus, every single game Naughty Dog have made since Uncharted 2 has been giving additional trophy packs related to online multiplayer, grinds and difficulty.)

How is that argument entirely irrelevant? If you really need a digital reward to motivate you to play the hardest difficulty, the problem is with you and not the trophy list. I personally have no interest in playing games on hard and only do them if there is a trophy attached to it. I have definitely enjoyed some games a lot on the hardest difficulty but at the end of the day I still think the most balanced way to experience any game is on medium difficulty. If you really love playing hard games, why do you need the trophy to motivate you? And regarding your comment on customisation, "it's bad when exploited by people who say they want a true challenge but only go halfway with the settings" I don't understand what that even means because since there is no trophy for the hardest difficulty, there's nothing to really exploit here. Whatever u do is between you and your own conscience so why does it bother you if others play it however they like or fake complete the hardest difficulty with some easier settings.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, abhinandhan22 said:

How is that argument entirely irrelevant? If you really need a digital reward to motivate you to play the hardest difficulty, the problem is with you and not the trophy list.

That proves my point. If that is even a reason, it's one of multiple reasons. Some disappointed people have already shared different reasoning, so it's virtually redundant for me to reiterate what's already been said.

but at the end of the day I still think the most balanced way to experience any game is on medium difficulty.

Depends on the game.

If you really love playing hard games, why do you need the trophy to motivate you?

That's one of the issues here, the preconceived notion or misinterpretation that we all "need the difficulty trophies for motivation", which at the very least is silly alone for not even applying to me.

And regarding your comment on customisation, "it's bad when exploited by people who say they want a true challenge but only go halfway with the settings" I don't understand what that even means because since there is no trophy for the hardest difficulty, there's nothing to really exploit here.

Well, that comment clearly has nothing to with trophies, just like the line before it that mentions how custom difficulty is a good game feature to have, which also has nothing to do with trophies. Not everything is about trophies. 

Whatever u do is between you and your own conscience so why does it bother you if others play it however they like or fake complete the hardest difficulty with some easier settings.

You misunderstood my point with that comment. I already established that custom difficulty is a good concept, so why would I have an issue with people effectively using it? That's contradictory. The issue pertains to fraudulence and people who say they want the ultimate challenge but end up not fully committing by only making some settings extreme and not others. Outside that, I generally don't have an issue with people forming their own personalized difficulty with the difficulty settings ?.

Edited by EcoShifter

45 minutes ago, EcoShifter said:

That proves my point. If that is even a reason, it's one of multiple reasons. Some disappointed people have already shared different reasoning, so it's virtually redundant for me to reiterate what's already been said.

Depends on the game.

That's one of the issues here, the preconceived notion that we all "need the difficulty trophies for motivation", which at the very least is silly alone for not even applying to me.

Well, that comment clearly has nothing to with trophies, just like the line before it that mentions how custom difficulty is a good game feature to have, which also has nothing to do with trophies. Not everything is about trophies. 

You misunderstood my point with that comment. I already established that custom difficulty is a good concept, so why would I have an issue with people effectively using it? That's contradictory. The issue pertains to fraudulence and people who say they want the ultimate challenge but end up not fully committing by only making some settings extreme and not others. Outside that, I generally don't have an issue with people forming their own personalized difficulty with the difficulty settings 1f642.png.

Fair enough that it's one of the multiple reasons but i fail to understand what the other reasons are(perhaps i should go through the entire thread) 

Its not about having pre conceived notions but I literally only noticed being upset that its a waste since people won't be incentivised to experience the game on survivor/grounded which in their opinion is the best way to play the game. Shouldn't the gameplay be the reward if that's the best way to play the game idk. Another comment I saw was people being upset that it won't be an UR or Rare platinum. I understand that this is a trophy website and we all obviously care about trophies but I doubt this would have been a UR or Rare to begin with even if it had difficulty trophies since there are no multiplayer trophies. That was the hardest part about the tlou plat. 

I don't understand how there can be any negative about custom difficulty personally. I personally would only understand it being fradulent if it was something like a hollow knight list(game is literally a super hard challenge and it could be a UR plat but the glitch effectively destroys the value of the plat and takes away from the people who achieved it without glitches. I personally could't care less but I would understand if someone had an issue with that. But other than that I have no issues with people lying to themselves by not fully committing to the hardest difficulty

So if the above is correct with loads of collectibles make the game your way.

Run 1: Hardest difficulty get Ellie/guns as high max as you can. 

Run 2: Play on easymode and get your collectibles while rushing the game with a buffed up Ellie.

Win/win for everyone except no trophy for a hard difficulty which will come maybe later in a DLC if we are lucky

Also reliable source can now confirm it:

r/Trophies - [News] The Last Of Us Part 2 Trophies won't be limited by difficulty!

Edited by Deluziion90

People who are disappointed with this game having no difficulty related trophies have a point. Trophies are there to reward a certain challenge. That's the whole point. Some assiduous players here wish to complete the game in 'hard' mode and get rewarded with a trophy for that. They do not wish to have a watered down trophy list with a Platinum which will be gotten by 70% of the players.

That's the competition part of trophies. It feels so rewarding to have a trophy that very few have.

I really don't like the way videogames become more and more accessible to the point where everyone will have the same 'result-equality'.

Trophy hunting is like any other game or sport: some will succeed, and some will fail. That's what makes it interesting.

Edited by bosstristan
  • Like 3