Are you loyal to console brands?

kaltezhan

No, but I do tend to have a primary console. Last gen I gamed nearly exclusively on the Xbox 360 but picked up a PS3 one holiday for the exclusives. This gen I switched to PS4 but ended up with an Xbox One on sale so I could go back and play all the Halo games again including the new one. And we always pick up the latest Nintendo console, but usually wait for a bit as they tend to be hard to find so close to release.

I'm not loyal to Sony, though I do have every platform of theirs other than the PSP, because they happen to sell the products I want. Personally I wish Microsoft will do better than this gen. I'm not looking to switch, due to how many games I have here, but at least then Sony will actually have to compete and offer better services.

Absolutely, without a doubt. When multiplayer games were taking off, Sony was the system that you could play online without needing to pay any extra money. That bought a lot of my loyalty right in the beginning. Then, Sony came out with a better system the following console release and that made my decision pretty easy. Now that I have become an avid trophy hunter, I can't think of playing games any other way.

The only time I've been interested in anything from X-Box was Cuphead. I did have my time with PC on World of Warcraft but that time has passed. If I had the time to game during the day I might consider a Switch. As it stands for the most part it's a couple of hours at night and with a 10 year old trophy card and spreadsheets full of stats I don't think I'll be moving consoles.

• Like 1

Just love everything that Sony do in general, Japanese things are always seem different to me, so do Playstation. If I could afford PC master race, I would have both Playstation and PC still. Never liked anything about Xbox, and had only one Nintendo console, it obvious witch one, if not Castlevania, there were none interesting exclusive games for me on that platform. Safe to say - loyal.

Yea, maybe.   I don't know?  I've always owned a Playstation, since the first one.  Never owned an XBox.  Like everything on the XBox I want to play is on the Playstation, with the exception of Blue Dragon and the Banjo Kazooie collection.  But I'm not buying a new system for two games.  I've had this account for like 10 years and it's the main reason I'll pick Playstation over XBox.

I also really want a Switch.  It has a lot of games I want to play: Three Houses, Mario Odyssey, Pokemon, Splatoon, Xenoblade Remaster, etc.  But that comes to a time thing.  Three Houses is a long game.  And if I'm going to be putting that much time in something, I'd rather put it in my older account.

If you asked me this during ps1, ps2, hell even majority of ps3 I would have said yes.

But I'm not enough delusional to stick with Microsoft or Nintendo, Sony needs a competitor  to bring it down and being reminded that customers aren't a guarantee, if microsoft is able to do that, then good, but personally I'd just like to see it dead, they are the guys that made paid online the standard today, I don't want to think what they got in store next when they're at the top.

I'm not loyal to console brands as I own or have owned both Sony and Nintendo consoles over the years.

I would like to buy an ms console but the only difference between both Sony and ms is first party titles and I don't think that ms has a strong enough first party titles to warrant a purchase of their consoles. 

As for Nintendo set me up a new Mario platformer, kart, smash and I'd show interest all the time.

I've invested a lot of time and money into my near eleven years since I got a ps3 and moved onto ps4 so to switch now it would need to be a massive draw for me. 

• Like 1

I would have to say yes, I am loyal to Sony.  I grew up having an Atari 7800, an NES, and a Sega Genesis, but I never played games on a routine basis.  I never had a preferred genre and just played/rented whatever I thought looked cool.  Things changed for me when I ended up getting a PlayStation in high school.  I ended up developing a distinct palate for certain genres and began following the industry with a subscription to PSM magazine. RPG’s, survival horror, and action/adventure became my preferred genres.  Games like Final Fantasy VII and Resident Evil blew my mind and I’ve just stuck with PlayStation ever since.

While I did end up owning a GameCube and a Wii, neither console really stuck with me and games like Eternal Darkness: Sanity’s Requiem, Skies of Arcadia, and Tales of Symphonia are the only games I really played.  With the release of the Wii and its focus on family friendly gaming as well as a deluge of shovelware, I ended up losing interest in Nintendo since I never really played the Mario, Zelda, or Metroid titles as a kid.

As a few others have mentioned, it ultimately comes down to the games, and Microsoft is severely lacking in exclusive titles I would have any interest in.  Their big three are Halo, Gears of War, and Forza and I never got into any of those franchises.  While Microsoft did buy quite a few studios recently, most of them are borderline indie studios with the exception of Obsidian, Ninja Theory, and maybe Double Fine and inXile.  While it is disappointing that I won’t be able to play the next Senua game or whatever Obsidian ends up making next, neither studio is quite capable of producing what I would consider a top class AAA product.  InXile’s next game, Wasteland 3, is already coming out for PlayStation as well as Double Fine’s Psychonauts 2.  Microsoft would have to produce a decent handful of AAA exclusive games from genres that I enjoy for me to ever consider buying an Xbox, and I just don’t see that happening.

Not really loyal, just able to recognize what works for me. PS1 was a good system with a lot of good games. PS2 looked good, in comparison to the other options, so I went with that. And it was good. Pretty much the same story for the PS3, PS4 and Vita. I've tired the other systems and they have good and bad points about them, but Sony consoles have consistently given me more overall satisfaction. So I feel secure in the idea that the PS5 is going to be for me.

After four home consoles by Sony, I don't think I will ever switch to any other system. I own many games: digital and physical both and almost one hundred plats just don't feel like it.  

I'm not a fanboy, I don't mind other people liking other system. ☺️?

I usually just stick with what I already have. I don't see myself buying an XBOX not because it's the enemy, but because I already have a big library of games on Playstation. I've already invested so much into Playstation and it would be a pain to switch over. There isn't enough time to play (or exclusives I want) to justify purchasing multiple consoles of the same generation.

I'll probably continue to stick with Playstation the same way I'll continue to stick with Apple when it comes to phones. Too much of my possessions (photos, contacts, applications, etc.) are already on my iPhone and it would be an unnecessary hassle to jump ship.

I been loyal to PlayStation when it comes to Home Consoles but I am also loyal to Nintendo when it came to handhelds (except the 3DS, I got the PSVita instead though I did get the 3DS later but the PSVita was still my favorite handheld during that gen). I was loyal to PlayStation due to their many great exclusives like the Jak and Daxter series, God of War series and the Infamous series but over the years my loyalty to PlayStation has been deteriorating due to various moves that been happening in Sony. First is the abandonment of exclusives like Jak and Daxter got dropped as soon as Uncharted became Naughty Dog's favorite. I tried to get into Uncharted but it doesn't hold my interest. I understand Naughty Dog no longer wanting to do Jak and Daxter since they moved on to a new genre and storytellling but they could hand it to another company within Sony. The same can be said about the Infamous (So much for the Infamous spin-off PSVita game) and Killzone series with their developers, actually as I am typing this I am also remembering many exclusive have been dropped like the SOCOM series and the Resistance series and also stand alone games like The Legend of Dragoon (apparently the main character of that game was going to be in PlayStation All-Star as DLC). There are other reasons why my love for Sony has been deteriorating, there is charging 60 dollars for Online membership that can be used as an example, I know that at this point all three console makers charge for online (though Nintendo's price is so cheap that it doesn't bug me) which I got to say that is something that I don't miss after transitioning into PC Gaming. Speaking of PC gaming, with Horizon Zero Dawn coming to Steam it seems that Sony might follow Microsoft into giving up their exclusives to Steam which I am fine with, yeah I may have to wait a long time for PlayStation's exclusives to come to Steam but I can wait. I just hope they release Jak and Daxter and Infamous series on Steam.

Edited by TheVader66

If you're speaking entirely on wanting to do it cheap but still needing to go next gen,

1. Pray to Phil Spencer's gooch that the rumoured "Series S", or "Lockheart", the cheaper next gen Xbox, is real. Because if the rumours are true that it's basically the same machine but with a cheaper GPU, so that it would just be kind of a 1080p/1440p next genner, same games just lower resolution, if that's true, and it's substantially cheaper, then count me the fuck in. The discless PS5 coming out will hopefully make Xbox reveal their hand on that one, but we don't know until we know, but it would be good. 

2. Yeah, buy a Series X. Assuming the prices are comparable, buy the Series X and play entirely on Game Pass. Hell, stack up some Game Pass now if you can. You said Brazil. There's a site called CD Keys that sell PSN/XBL/etc. codes and they sell Brazilian Xbox Gold codes on special all the time (codes are regionless but Brazil's is cheaper and only *supposed* to work on Brazil accounts, but I've used it on my Aussie account before) for cheap. Last one I saw was about 40 AUD and Google says 40 AUD is 144 Brazilian Real. A year of Gold here normal price is 80 bucks so that's pretty good. But right now, and they have for a while, any time you have of Game Pass OR Gold, you can buy a month of Game Pass Ultimate and convert all your leftover time into Ultimate. So say you bought 2 years of Gold for 80 bucks, activate one code and turn on auto renew for another free month, turn off auto renew and activate the other and get the free month again, that's 26 months. Then you get the new user of Game Pass Ultimate deal where the first 3 months are 1 dollar total, and it converts your 26 months into Ultimate, you've got 29 months of Game Pass, AND Gold. Meaning you get 4 games a month (2 of which you genuinely actually own, even when your subscription ends) and just shy of 2.5 years of access to the literal hundreds of games on Game Pass, for 81 dollars. Which for conversion's sake, is 80% the cost of ONE full priced AAA retail game here (RRP 100AUD). That's a fucking steal and a half. So 116 games with Gold (58 of which you genuinely will own), and all that time on Game Pass, for less than the cost of ONE game you'd be buying for your new PS5. Price wise it's a no brainer, especially if you're coming into the Xbox brand for the first time and all those games are new. PS. you can only cap out 3 years of Gold/GamePass/any of it, that's why I personally would take the 29 month option over 36, basically look at it as buy 2 and get (almost) half of another free. 

3. Fuck it. Don't go next gen. Like if you want a PS5 and you're thinking of getting a Series X first to save money through Game Pass to then buy the PS5, just buy an Xbox One right now. The discless Xbox One goes for pretty cheap, I got mine a couple months back brand new for 179 through Microsoft with 3 games, that I sold for 50 bucks (could have held out for more but didn't mind) so 129 for a new console, or if we're paying attention to my numbers earlier, just shy of one and a third full priced AAA retail games. Pair the cheapest lil console you can get, hell go preowned I don't care, with the aforementioned Game Pass setup, and you've got cheap access to hundreds of games for years. Xbox has said they aren't intending to make any of their big name exclusive games next gen only for a couple years. Meaning through Game Pass and an Xbox One alone, you would be getting Hellblade 2, Forza 8 (or Horizon 5, whichever they do first), Halo Infinite at launch, Gears 6, and just so many other exclusive games, albeit in the toned down Xbox One graphics compared to next gen. But it's the same experience, the same game, it's not like the PS2 days where the game being dumped on last gen is an entirely different experience, these are the same games, just less pretty. I'd say if you want to save money, buy an Xbox One for as cheap as you can and reap the best of Game Pass while that upgrade deal is still going, play on that and don't buy any games, just play on the Game Pass library and save as much as you can for your PS5. Best of both worlds. You'll get plenty of brand new AAA games without paying for them, and you'll be saving for an actual next gen console while doing it. 

3.5. Split Game Pass with a buddy because you can account share on two machines and halving the price is always better than not halving the price of something. 

Point being. Budget wise. Xbox is absolutely king. It's somewhat ironic to use the value offered by Xbox to save up for a PlayStation 5, but I mean, at the end of the day you'd end up with 2 brand new experiences and libraries at your disposal. The only real downside of the Xbox One SAD for me (since everything I have on Xbox One is digital) is missing out on playing all my 360 discs, so in another bit of irony, I'm so keen on the next gen console to come out so I can go loaded up GTA IV, RDR, and MW again. But yeah, especially if you don't have a 4K TV, if the Series S does get revealed soon, that's where I'd be going. "Analysts" are predicting the PS5 discless to be 400 USD (which is what the PS4 was, and it was 550 here at launch, whereas now 400 USD converts to about 570 AUD so give or take, roughly similar ballpark, so you can rooooooughly go off whatever a PS4 cost at launch in Brazil), and those same people are speculating that if the Series S was real, going off Microsoft's comments and standpoints on price so far, it may be a real reality that Series S may come out at 300. And if I can get a Series S for less than the PS4 cost me 7 years ago, well I'll be a very happy camper. The big problem for me is I can't do discless Xbox next gen. If the price was a shitload lower than the disc version I'd honestly look to pickup a cheap Xbox One as well as the Series S solely to play all my 360 games upscaled and whatnot. But that's besides the point.

I think if you want a PS5, you should get a PS5... but I think if money is an issue and you want a next gen experience as soon as possible, either the Series X with Game Pass, or going full budget mode and buying an Xbox One SAD now with Game Pass, and playing only those games for a year or two while saving, that's the way I'd do it, because you're really not missing out on anything. You'd be getting a bunch of brand new AAA games, and you'd be saving along the way, and when it's all done, you've got an Xbox to put in your spare room or leave at a buddy's house or whatever, who knows, you might even be able to sell it for a reasonable amount.

• Like 1

Sony has had my loyalty since I first got to play Crash Bandicoot. They have the exclusives and the consoles have never let me down.

But if Xbox or Nintendo have games that interest me then I’ll get their consoles or handhelds. Though it’ll never be over having a Sony console.

I've always been with Playstation. Although ever more tempted to get a switch, getting away from trophies and being able to relax playing games without thinking about them.

But also being able to play handheld, something which increasing I can't do with the Vita as time goes on.

I am a Playstation user for many years now, and dont think, and never thought on the past, about choosing another brand to be my main one. Almost all games that I want to play are always on Playstation, I am not a hardware maniac, so unless the game pool becomes very limited in the future, I dont see myself changing. For some reason I dont hold any interest or sympathy for the Xbox since the first one (totally unrelated to fanboysm, console wars or whatever), and Nintendo has games that interest me, but they are few and Nintendo related stuff in my country tend to be a bit expensive, but I plan to buy a Switch in the near future. 

• Like 1