Underrated games on ps4/ps3 (appreciation thread)

JEDI_BROTHERS

Hey, I want everyone to share games you believe are underrated and deserve more attention, i have a few

Star wars the force unleashed, this one is fair for not being as popular since its over a decade old but I still think the gameplay is the most fun out of any star wars game ive ever played, highly recommend, its on ps now so check it out if you have it

Switchblade, this is a f2p vehicle moba game, since it is a smaller game and f2p people usually don't see it as anything but a mediocre vehicle game, but if you play it you'll find an underrated competitive objective based game where you play as certain classes of vehicles, each class with multiple vehicles, its free so i recommend you atleast try it

What games do you think are underrated?

Edited by JEDI_BROTHERS
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Phantochi said:

Besides that, i would say Trails of Cold Steel games and the whole of Trails series (Cold Steel ones are on PS4). They get very little love

Others that come to mind are Prey, Pyre, Darkest Dungeon, The Sexy Brutale, Rive, FrostPunk, furi, Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise, Danganronpa series, Gravity Rush Remaster 1&2, Salt and Sanctuary, Odin Sphere and Dragons Crown

I'd actually say Trails and Danganronpa are extraordinarily popular and have some pretty large fanbases. Both are great though, so obviously still worth checking out (DR specifically is one of my favorite series)

I'd recommend the Siralim series. Monster taming games similar to Pokemon or SMT. First game has a little over 300 creatures and 2 has 500+. Siralim 3 has over 700. 

Sagebrush is a Ratalaika-published game that's actually worth the look. Nice little short story about a cult

9 minutes ago, Burgins said:

I'd recommend the Siralim series. Monster taming games similar to Pokemon or SMT. First game has a little over 300 creatures and 2 has 500+. Siralim 3 has over 700

Gonna try Siralim soon i think. Do i have to play them in order? 

Here are some flavours from me:

- Binary Domain

- Zero Escape (any of them)

- The Banner Saga 1,2 and 3

- The Sexy Brutale

- Hotline Miami

- Yakuza Series 

• Like 2

I'm sure there's loads, but one that immediately comes to mind is Papo and Yo. It's clunky enough to look and play like a budget PS2 game, but it affected me in a way I've just never experienced before. Alcoholism has, fortunately, never affected me or my immediate family, but its depiction here is heart-breaking - particularly the ending. Games like Journey and Flower will always have a special place in my heart, but I find myself far more appreciative of art games that actually come out and say "this is what I'm about." 

Edited by TheArcadeKid
  • Like 3

For PS3: Spec ops: the line for sure. Great game that i actually bought randomly when it was new, without checking youtube or nothing, to me it was a solid 10 out of 10 ?

For PS4: A plague tales innoscence, not sure if this one had big attention, but i bought this also randomly, and i gave it a solid 10 out of 10?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Burgins said:

I'd actually say Trails and Danganronpa are extraordinarily popular and have some pretty large fanbases. Both are great though, so obviously still worth checking out (DR specifically is one of my favorite series)

I'd highly disagree.  They are getting more popular, but it's still rare for me to meet people who have actually heard of them, unlike stuff like Persona.  They are definitely more of cult classics at this point and have a very devoted fanbase, but definitely not to the point of extraordinarily popular with a large fanbase.  They are more popular than they were when I first got into both series, but more often people haven't heard of them.

I'd also second the recommendation for Ys and add Tokyo Xanadu.  Falcom is just a great developer in general and you can't go wrong with their games.

Some others I think are underrated are:

The Witch and the Hundred Knight (but not the sequel, that was crap)

Monochrome Order

The Alliance Alive HD Remastered

Crossing Souls

Legend of the Tetrarchs

The Asdivine series

Revenant Saga

Aer: Memories of Old is a beautiful little game with a very relaxing atmosphere

Lord of the Rings: War in the North is loads of fun and not mentioned nearly as much as it should be despite the big franchise name

Stormrise is an RTS that actually works on console, it's kind of neat although the story is nothing amazing. Easy to plat too if you have a boosting partner.

• Like 1

I played "My Big Sister" on Steam and I was shocked that it had a PS4 version that I never heard about - it was such a good pixel, horror game. Now that I think about it, there are so many good pixel (not sure if that's the right term, but I think it is) games that don't get much attention on console - Always Sometimes Monsters and Home are two other ones that I loved but never see being discussed.

• Like 3

I found Wet on the PS3 to be pretty good as for PS4 I would say Days Gone,Gravity Rush 1&2,Prey,Dishonored 2 oh and Dreams...more people need to play Dreams.

PS3

The Saboteur - An open world game set during World War II, it starts entirely in black and white with hints of color (think the little girl in the red dress in Schindler's List) and as you "inspire" areas of France, it transforms into color. It has a climbing mechanic similar to Assassin's Creed which wasn't done as smoothly but was still fun. Included a lot of game play elements including racing, climbing, fist fights, stealth and much more. Really fun for the time.

PS4

A Way Out - Strictly a co-op game. Both people need PS+ but only one person needs to actually own it as they can invite a friend to download the full trial and play with them. My friend and I had so much fun playing together, from escaping prison in Chapter 1, to an insane long camera sequence (which was movie quality btw) in a hospital in Chapter 3 to the jaw dropping twist near the end of Chapter 4. We both thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, punkshepherd said:

Gonna try Siralim soon i think. Do i have to play them in order? 

Nope, but if you ever wanna play the early ones it might be worth doing first so you don't get used to later mechanics. Creatures can have their abilities changed in between games and stuff like that

Iconoclasts (PS3, PS4, PSVITA)

Its a 2D platformer where you play as a mechanic, solve puzzles to progress, make upgrades and find chests to earn resources, you meet NPCs who will join you in your journey. The goal is to save the planet. People are divided: pirates are unliked, normal citizens and Royalty. The Royal people have the power in the world and they’re worshipped by everyone but things are corrupt so people start to hate Royalty (only the ones who know the truth). The man in command is called “Him”, he is being treated like a God and is located in space, He wants to destroy the world as people stopped to worship Him and disobeyed. The mechanic needs to stop Him. Along the way you meet many obstacles: (awesome) boss fights, imprisoned etc.

I have to say though, the game would feel empty without the boss fights. The trophy list sucks and doesn’t feel rewarding at all.

• Like 1