PS5 Games - $69.99

DEI2EK

Yeah I saw this...if it ends up being true, which I expect it to be...then I won't ever be pre-ordering/buying soon after release anymore. I get that it's "just $10" and that most people don't care (even though they should)...it's the principal involved. I mean a lot changed for me with Gen 7 when games raised to $60...that inspired the whole way I purchase games now, waiting for sales...and not just any sales, DEEP sales, getting games A LOT cheaper than the industry would want me to, and missing out on big named titles until no one cares about them anymore and something else big is out and in the talk that I'm also having to wait for. And this $10 price hike just means, the sales are going to be more expensive with the price cut. Things are going to have to further change for me, waits are going to have to be even longer. I hate it. 

Gaming is getting dangerously close to being too expensive for me. I fear what the Gen 10 is going to bring.

Edited by Viper
  • Like 1

On 7/4/2020 at 9:57 PM, djb5f said:

EDIT - I looked it up, SNES games were $40-50 (American) at launch.  That makes a lot more sense.

https://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion-30/how-much-did-games-cost-back-in-the-day-487807/?page=1#js-message-3931567

That's not accurate, go find some advertisements for SNES games from the 90's. A lot of the popular games were much more than $50 USD at launch.

khmhfoA.jpg

Games in europe cost already 70 euro since few good years, so it will be 80 euro, I don't care because almost never buy games on release day, don't want to pay "new item tax" for unfinished glitchy shattered games.

Second thing is that if people get digital version of ps5 they won't get choice, buy for 80 euro or wait sometimes year for promotions.

Sony and publishers will get monopoly and that's not good for all of us.

We can actually be happy it's "only" $69.99. When you check mobile game revenues, you have to ask yourself, why the heck people keep making AAA games.

Now, the base game $69.99, Season Pass another $30-$40, and we know the Season Pass isn't usually all the future DLCs, so the future extra DLCs another $20-$30. The full games are going to be $150 and more.

... and people debate which console is going to be cheaper by $50 ...

• Like 1

I would't mind paying $70 for AAA game son release if they were high quality games with enough content to justify the price. This means no micro transaction, no loot boxes, or other shady monetization but seeing how greedy games companies are these days, I don't think games should cost $70. 

Maybe if games publishers weren't so greedy trying to milk and dime us to death for everything and just gave a full fledged high quality AAA games with no bullshit, then I wouldn't mind paying $70.

Edited by CxCAR-25

On 7/5/2020 at 0:19 AM, Rozalia1 said:

I'd rather they take steps to lower the cost of their production then just keep upping prices to feed it. It is unsustainable.

Inflation is a reality of any economic model.

In Austria many games retail for 60+ €.

Im buy most games used so its not really a problem. But it will harm the digital version ps5 i think. I would never buy the last of us 2 (digital) for 69,99€ if i can get it used for 40€.

I can play it for 2-3 weeks and sell it for almost the same prize.

If you notice, they are really pushing digital. Hence the digital version of the PlayStation. I would not be surprised if they start to offer digital games at a discount. They kind of already do with the sales that they keep having. But I am sure that in the time to come they will transition to all games being digital. I prefer to have a physical copy of my games. It is easier to lend them to a friend and I can always sell them to get some of my money back if I wanted to. 

12 hours ago, majob said:

Inflation is a reality of any economic model.

Obviously inflation is a reality. I was talking about the increased cost of development. A lot of companies are being too expansive (and thus expensive), doing things in expensive fashions when they can be done cheaper via other means, and not cutting enough corners which sounds negative but is just smart business. Atelier games for example I remember hearing were profitable and kept Gust afloat because every trilogy (well not with Rorona obviously which was a test game they decided to sell, Totori was the base in that case) they would build a base and then the sequels would all be built off it, reusing a great deal of assets which kept development cheap.

Though I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on the matter here, but I'm sure there is plenty that can be done to keep costs down.

I'd gladly play an extra 10 bucks per game, if they got rid of any game play effecting Micro-transactions.  IE Time savers, loot boxes, Ultimate Team/ MyTEAM.  

I am all for paid expansions.  Such as Dragon Age Origins, Dragon Age 2, and Inquisition's, Uncharted Lost Legacy, etc.

But they won't.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, audiopile said:

I don't care. I won't pay full price for a game, can't remember the last time I did. I will wait for sales, there is enough to do in this world that I don't NEED to have a game that bad. 

That's exactly how I feel about it. I rarely pay more than $20 for a game, so they can price however they want, but they'll never squeeze that much out of me⁠—especially with so many games being incomplete and broken at launch.

• Like 3

If they want to release a full game, not one broken up into DLC that should have been part of a main game, or stuffed full of microtransactions, I have no issue paying what would amount to ~$100 here in Canada.  But we all know that is not what is going to happen.  The games are still going to be full of microtransactions, they are going to be made more grindy so that we can be sold "time savers", the quality of games has been made worse significantly by the introduction of microtransactions and boosts.

Of course this is not a blanket statement that covers 100% of games, but it sure covers a lot more non first party AAA games made today than it ever has in the past, and it is continuing to get worse, not better.

• Like 1

$69.99 for new AAA games plus $30 - 40 for a Season Pass deal. A game with a scope like Assassin's Creed Odyssey could likely cost you $110 - 120 for the complete package.

I think I'm going to stick with PS4 games and their 'cheap' prices for a while longer.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6.7.2020 at 4:25 PM, NeoMesjasz said:

Games in europe cost already 70 euro since few good years, so it will be 80 euro, I don't care because almost never buy games on release day, don't want to pay "new item tax" for unfinished glitchy shattered games.

Second thing is that if people get digital version of ps5 they won't get choice, buy for 80 euro or wait sometimes year for promotions.

Sony and publishers will get monopoly and that's not good for all of us.

Where do yo buy a game for 70euroes?? If i may ask... i really want a source for that....

Ps4 and ps3 games have allways been 599 norwegian krona, which is around 50euroes!!

On 23.07.2020 at 9:09 AM, DividedByMankind said:

Where do yo buy a game for 70euroes?? If i may ask... i really want a source for that....

Ps4 and ps3 games have allways been 599 norwegian krona, which is around 50euroes!!

Almost every new AAA games in PSN Ireland is 69.99 on release date, same in GameStop only places like Argos offers new game for 60 or 55 but not all games.

On 7/7/2020 at 10:11 AM, Sir_Bee said:

If they want to release a full game, not one broken up into DLC that should have been part of a main game, or stuffed full of microtransactions, I have no issue paying what would amount to ~$100 here in Canada.  But we all know that is not what is going to happen.  The games are still going to be full of microtransactions, they are going to be made more grindy so that we can be sold "time savers", the quality of games has been made worse significantly by the introduction of microtransactions and boosts.

Of course this is not a blanket statement that covers 100% of games, but it sure covers a lot more non first party AAA games made today than it ever has in the past, and it is continuing to get worse, not better.

my sentiments exactly

• Like 1

On 7/22/2020 at 6:02 PM, Alderriz said:

Huh. So the nextgen game prices might differ depending on a company. At least for Ubisoft it's $60 until the end of this year.

Ubisoft indicated $59.99 only for the games in the fall/winter that were already released on PS4 (i.e. the retreads).

This better not happen for the next generation. He havent paid "$59.99" in a while. Game publishers charged us for more money. Its been 59.99 + Season Pass / DLC Packs + Microtransactions. Game publishers have more money today than they have ever had. Also games are easier to develop for now. All you need is Zbrush, Maya, and unreal engine 4.

• 3 weeks later...