Ratalaika Review

Out of your list, I've only played 36 Fragments and I really actually like the game!  There's obviously not much to it, but it's fun for a few minutes here and there when I've got my Vita and I'm looking to kill a few minutes.

24 minutes ago, UltraFire121 said:

Same here. I've bought almost 95% of Ratalaika Games and they have done a superb job with the easy platinums. Let's not forget Lightwood Games and others did a great job as well.

Damn, I almost thought you were about to say they have made superb games, that's why you bought 95% of their them. But then it ends "with easy platinums". That was disappointing, considering some reviews from the OP. But it's nice to admit you bought all those games for easy platinums ?

And I must agree: they do the BEST JOB with super easy platinum :)

Theres a handful of releases they published that actually did entertain me for a few minutes, further than just popping a fast platinum..iron snout comes to mind..but in recent developments, they stopped supporting the vita?  With my experience, their catalog runs way better on the handheld.  RIP

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FFATMA said:

Out of your list, I've only played 36 Fragments and I really actually like the game!  There's obviously not much to it, but it's fun for a few minutes here and there when I've got my Vita and I'm looking to kill a few minutes.

I've got 10 up now. I think I've played about 25 different games from them, so I'm not even half way. If this list was a Ratalaika list, they'd let me finish now and leave the other half undone entirely.

1 hour ago, UltraFire121 said:

Same here. I've bought almost 95% of Ratalaika Games and they have done a superb job with the easy platinums. Let's not forget Lightwood Games and others did a great job as well.

Honestly, we should all pool in one one account made just for Rata games. Say you get ten of us, we all kick in a buck for every time a new game comes out (they all seem to be around 8 bucks on average, but some are 12, some are 5, it varies), and pass the account around as an alternate on our PS4s until we all have the platinum. Especially now that they're dropping Vita ( :'( RIP in pepperoni), hell, this is actually a great idea. Someone PM me if you wanna go halvsies, thirdsies, however-many-interested-people-sies with me on this. PS @ mods, I'm not asking for game sharing, fuck off, leave me alone, it's a joke. I mean. Well it is a joke, but if someone does hit me up I wouldn't say no.

Sometimes You also have a few easy ones. Did they do Skytime? I bought Skytime on Switch and then found out it had a piss easy list and was honestly kinda bummed I didn't get it on PS4 instead, especially since I dropped it after five minutes, nothing special of a game.

1 hour ago, TurtlePM said:

Damn, I almost thought you were about to say they have made superb games, that's why you bought 95% of their them. But then it ends "with easy platinums". That was disappointing, considering some reviews from the OP. But it's nice to admit you bought all those games for easy platinums 1f60a.png

And I must agree: they do the BEST JOB with super easy platinum :)

Look I wanted to play my Vita, but I was very aware I'd also snag a bunch of stacks. 

1 hour ago, Helyx said:

36 Fragments was one of their few games I didn't really care for.

Compared to most others, yeah, it's a lesser one. But it cost me I believe just under a dollar for 2 versions of it, costs me more for a single ball of gum at the shop than the game did, no ragrats.

57 minutes ago, Property_Damage said:

Theres a handful of releases they published that actually did entertain me for a few minutes, further than just popping a fast platinum..iron snout comes to mind..but in recent developments, they stopped supporting the vita?  With my experience, their catalog runs way better on the handheld.  RIP

I am unaware of Iron Snout, I'll have to give it a Google, I have most of their stuff in my wishlist but no idea of that one, maybe it's not in Aus? Yeah, what happened with the Vita situation is a bugger, just as I finally started getting back into my Vita, this happens. I cleaned up the first two Ratchet plats, Jak 2 and 3 finally, Hitman and Lara Croft Go, and several others. Then bought all these Rata games, and I'm like fuck yeah Vita over here, only for that to happen. Shame, really. I can't wait for Colin Moriarty's Breakout clone thing to go on sale too, probably gonna be the last (at least non Ratalaika) Vita game I'll ever buy the way it looks now.

@Super-Fly Spider-Guy nice write up, it is a refreshing change to see an actual critical reasoned opinion. Ratalaika is only the publisher these games all have interesting stories behind their developers. Many of the Developers that have published with Ratalaika have managed to use the $ the games make to pay off student debts, further studies or go on to refine and make new games. It is great to see the success both Ratalaika and the devs have enjoyed over the last few years.

I hope you find more gems in the catalogue, who knows how many little fuckers might be worth a look, then look forward to you sharing them with the general fuckers on this site that so enjoy expressing their views

Have fun

• Like 3

The issue that many in the trophy hunting community has with Ratalaika games is the ridiculously easy trophy lists & stacks attached to them, not the games themselves. Like them or not, I don’t think any rational person can successfully argue that they haven’t done a lot of harm to this community and the leaderboards, which is the actual reason why people take issue with them.

With that said, I found your post interesting, and a nice deviation from the usual debate in Ratalaika posts. It’s pretty rare to see a thoughtful discussion about the actual games themselves rather than the consequences of their trophy lists. 

I think you make a pretty good case for some of them, but unfortunately not enough to convince me to actually put any of these on my list. A valiant effort though! ?

16 hours ago, Spaz said:

I just wish they made you play to the end.

Interesting the affect trophies have had on gaming, isn't it?  The definition of what it means to be done with a game has changed.  No longer is it necessarily playing through the end; popping the platinum (or final) trophy now carries an equal sense of accomplishment, at least to some. 

Has the player lost a bit of (self) control over the situation, I wonder?  If you (or anyone) really enjoyed a game, but popped the platinum before seeing the end, would you feel compelled to quit, and move on to another game with trophies, or would you push through to the end, knowing no more trophies were coming?  I'm sure answers depend on several factors, of course, but I know I didn't play every puzzle in the Sudoku POWGI game, as I didn't have to.  I did beat the final boss in Oceanhorn, however, despite the platinum popping earlier in the game.  Quite a power that little virtual ping of a trophy popping has.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, IntroPhenom said:

Interesting the affect trophies have had on gaming, isn't it?  The definition of what it means to be done with a game has changed.  No longer is it necessarily playing through the end; popping the platinum (or final) trophy now carries an equal sense of accomplishment, at least to some. 

Has the player lost a bit of (self) control over the situation, I wonder?  If you (or anyone) really enjoyed a game, but popped the platinum before seeing the end, would you feel compelled to quit, and move on to another game with trophies, or would you push through to the end, knowing no more trophies were coming?  I'm sure answers depend on several factors, of course, but I know I didn't play every puzzle in the Sudoku POWGI game, as I didn't have to.  I did beat the final boss in Oceanhorn, however, despite the platinum popping earlier in the game.  Quite a power that little virtual ping of a trophy popping has.

I too wish the Rata games made you play through the whole game but it would not really change much when all is said and done.  And Rata is not the only ones who give out the Plat without finishing the game.

A Way Out is another example where you can get the Plat long before the game is over.  Great game btw and Absolutely worth finishing the whole game.

48 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

The leaderboard has always only been who has the most points. For many members here, there's always a bunch of people who would have had the advantage over them by having more money and time to increase their points and their ranking. Ratalaika (and some others) made games that make points cheaper and quicker. Just as before Ratalaika you could just get more time and/or more money and increase points to increase ranks. That part hasn't changed.

They didn't harm the community, and technically they didn't harm the leaderboard. They just changed the game.

Yes, absolutely.  Leaderboard chasing has always been a exercise in futility. Just about who has the most time or money and nothing before normalized difficulty or time of plats anyway.

I had a bad addiction to the easy trophies for a while there, mostly to pass up one of my real life friends who was talking shit! I gave it up about a year or so ago, but I will agree with you that they released quite a few games that were actually worth playing! My favorites were Devious Dungeon 1 and 2. I didn't see them on your list, but those games were both a lot of fun and I very much recommend them!

Edited by integra_93GS-R
grammar

One rata game I'm playing right now and having a blast with is League of Evil.  I actually very much recommend it as a fun game regardless of whether you're getting it for trophies or not.  There's actually some challenge to it, even though the overall plat achieved rate is still in the 60% range for this site.  Actually, now that I think about it, a 60% plat rate on a rata game is quite an oddity!  It's basically a "get to the end of the stage in under x amount of seconds to get 3 stars and collect a briefcase in each stage along the way" type of game.  I'm not the worlds best platformer by any stretch of the imagination, but some of the later levels in just chapter 2 are taking me 50+ attempts.  The restart after you die is lightning fast though, so it's not bad at all!

1 hour ago, IntroPhenom said:

yeah thats why i love trophies and dislike them at the same time because of things like this

3 hours ago, DaivRules said:

I don't think they have harmed this community. This community is just a bunch of people (and bots?) that play games or enjoy games and talk about games. Rataliaka publishes games for people here to play and talk about.

The leaderboard has always only been who has the most points. For many members here, there's always a bunch of people who would have had the advantage over them by having more money and time to increase their points and their ranking. Ratalaika (and some others) made games that make points cheaper and quicker. Just as before Ratalaika you could just get more time and/or more money and increase points to increase ranks. That part hasn't changed.

They didn't harm the community, and technically they didn't harm the leaderboard. They just changed the game.

As far as the thread, there's a lot of people who have only read people shitting on Ratalaika games because they were bad. Many people who tried to claim some games were good were shot down and dismissed, and readers wouldn't be looked down on for believing that all their games were just bad. I'm glad this thread goes into more detail about the games themselves and (mostly) ignores the faster trophy points. Maybe some people will be able to find a title or two that has what they're looking for in playing a game to play a game, not climb a leaderboard.

I should clarify that by “this community” I was referring to the broader trophy hunting community in general, not the people who hang out on PSNP.

I know everyone hunts for themselves and for their own reasons at the end of the day, but there IS a reason we all band together on communities like PSNP, why leaderboards exist, why players display their trophy stats in their signatures etc. It’s a hobby that comes with a competitive spirit, and we all like to share our gaming accomplishments with one another, and look at one another’s profiles to see how we measure up against other players. 

The business practices of this company HAVE harmed the community whether you realize it or not, because they’ve devalued platinum trophies to the point where they’re almost completely worthless now as any kind of measure of accomplishment. I’m personally not a really competitive hunter myself (in terms of leaderboards), as I entered the game far too late to have a chance, but I’ve seen numerous top pagers speak out about their disdain for the way these games have “changed the game” as you say. Many front pagers have spoken of how the ubiquity of these games has “forced” them to buy and stack them, and how it’s sucked all the life and joy out of the hobby because there is simply no way to remain competitive if you don’t do this.

I can’t answer this myself as I don’t play these games, but I wonder  - what is the point in being a “trophy hunter“ when you remove the hunt from the process? 

Where is the feeling of accomplishment when unlocking a trophy no longer requires you to master a skill, perfect a difficult combat scenario, or complete an objective?

How do you derive any satisfaction or pleasure from this hobby when you’re instantly gratified by unlocking meaningless trophies every few minutes for no reason at all and adding another platinum to the pile every 30-60 minutes? What is even the point anymore? 

In my opinion that is when you’ve transitioned from a trophy hunter, to a trophy whore. Excuse my French.

edit: I forgot to ask, what did you mean by this community being made up by bots? 

Edited by dieselmanchild
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

The business practices of this company HAVE harmed the community whether you realize it or not, because they’ve devalued platinum trophies to the point where they’re almost completely worthless now as any kind of measure of accomplishment. I’m personally not a really competitive hunter myself (in terms of leaderboards), as I entered the game far too late to have a chance, but I’ve seen numerous top pagers speak out about their disdain for the way these games have “changed the game” as you say. Many front pagers have spoken of how the ubiquity of these games has “forced” them to buy and stack them, and how it’s sucked all the life and joy out of the hobby because there is simply no way to remain competitive if you don’t do this.

You have simplified trophy hunting to (Number of Platinum trophies). If you define trophy hunting as looking to obtain every trophy while playing games you enjoy, then trophy hunters have not been harmed at all. 

Yes, the game has changed for those at the top of the leaderboard. So what? Games change all the time, adapt or lose your place. Someone else will play by the new rules better and then they will dethrone you. By oversimplifying trophy hunting to only "look at their platinum number", that devalues everything else that trophy hunting can encompass. THAT is what harms the trophy hunting community. 

11 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

Where is the feeling of accomplishment when unlocking a trophy no longer requires you to master a skill, perfect a difficult combat scenario, or complete an objective?

How do you derive any satisfaction or pleasure from this hobby when you’re instantly gratified by unlocking meaningless trophies every few minutes for no reason at all and adding another platinum to the pile every 30-60 minutes? What is even the point anymore? 

See my response above for answers to these questions.

12 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

In my opinion that is when you’ve transitioned from a trophy hunter, to a trophy whore. Excuse my French.

I don't agree. The trophy whore is someone who doesn't care about enjoying what a game offers and only looks at the trophy numbers, as if they tell a story about accomplishment. They are the ones who count the platinums and think it means something.

14 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

edit: I forgot to ask, what did you mean by this community being made up by bots?

You never know!

• Like 2

I appreciate the effort you put in this thread OP. Of the ones you have listed I have Inksplosion, Super Destronaut DX, Metagal, and Fullblast. I enjoyed them alot. Loved Fullblast and Super Destronaut since I enjoy those types of arcade games. I actually had a bit of trouble with Inksplosion at the time. Metagal kind of bugged me from a trophy stand point. I didn't like how you could get all the trophies in the first couple levels. I completed it though. Foxyland and Foxyland 2 were also enjoyable as platformers. I even had some trouble beating the first Wolf Brother in Foxyland 2. While I understand the hate Rata games get from the community, it doesn't really bother me much since I don't care about leaderboards at all.

Edited by ShadowSigmaX
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

You say that like platinums had a value to begin with.  The value they have has always been up each person because all they really are is a set of pixels you earn for completing a set of tasks in a game.  No one is forcing anyone go to earn these trophies or to try and maintain a top spot on the leaderboards.  That's a choice others are making.  Trophy hunting is supposed to be about having fun while earning plats and if that stops being fun for someone, that person needs to re-evaluate what they are doing because gaming is supposed to be fun.  While there can be a sense of satisfaction from earning a plat, it is definitely true that some people are taking it too far and it sounds more like they have an addiction that is an actual problem rather than just a fun hobby like most of us.

All Ratalaika is doing is smart business.  They are appealing to a niche of gamers who have money and a willingness to buy their games.  It's not just trophy hunters they are appealing to, it also appeals to more casual gamers who like short and easy games.  It won't ever earn massive profits, but it's clearly earning enough profit to keep them in business and able to make new deals to port indie games.  They clearly are doing something right and without them there are many fun games that wouldn't have seen the light of day on PSN, Xbox and Switch.  They also aren't the only dev doing this.  The dev of the POWGI games and Pic-A-Pix games do the same.  To a lesser degree there is also Kemco and their short RPGs with easy plats (though longer than POWGI and Ratalaika since those average 10-20 hours).

What it boils down to is that there is definitely a niche of gamers who are interested in short games.  This honestly isn't too surprising because gaming is appealing to a broader audience now and many people who game also work full time and have families and other hobbies.  The typical length game isn't going to be as appealing to people who are busy and have little time to game but a fun short game will be very appealing to them.  A lot of people are also getting tired of the same old AAA fare and looking to indies for something different as well.  These sorts of people are the sorts that Ratalaika games would appeal to.  If you don't like them, then don't buy them.  However that is your business and there is nothing wrong with someone who buys them and enjoys them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaivRules said:

The trophy whore is someone who doesn't care about enjoying what a game offers and only looks at the trophy numbers, as if they tell a story about accomplishment. They are the ones who count the platinums and think it means something.

:highfive:

• Like 2