I can't care about trophies anymore. Why do you keep caring?

lettmon

My brief history with trophy hunting: I got my PS3 in 2012 and didn't know anything about trophies. The first game that drew me into trophy hunting a year later was Mirror's Edge. I got very anxious trying to do the chapter speedruns with sweating palms and that was the first signal that it's an unhealthy hobby, but after a while I started hunting again and did it periodically, setting goals like get to 100 trophies, get the first platinum, get to 500 trophies etc., but now I have lost almost all interest in it, I see it as a waste of time, I rather play games for fun, although some trophies can be fun and that makes me feel ambiguous.

What I like about trophies - they add value to the game, you spend more time with it and do things that you normally wouldn't.

What I hate about trophies - they often treat you like a child or an autist, for example collect all the missable collectibles - you either have to waste colossal amount of time doing it by yourself, never sure if you didn't miss any, or follow a guide witch is even more stupid, IMO these kinds of trophies shouldn't exist.

• Like 3

Welcome to the Collective of Us, the No Trophy Suckers, or C-U-N-T-S for short.

Perks of membership: Now that you can play anywhere, and play entirely just for fun, you can shop the deals on 3 times as many consoles as you could before.

• Like 1

I love trophies , they are goals which are set by others at pretty much random , some might be easy peasy , some absolutely impossible. You can show them off and come back to reminisce the moments from the game at any time. It's an absolute win-win situation , but some people still manage to put some kind of fake pressure on themselves to complete trophies and games they not only dislike but hate and then come here and rant about it like it wasnt their fault.

• Like 1

Stop treating it like an obsession. Only go hunting for trophies if they seem fun to you. 

I usually check our road maps before I start a new game. If the trophies seem tedious, boring, too difficult or too long to get... pass. I play another game or I play said game on a different plattform.

Then there are games that I want to play no matter what... Quite recently RDR2. I already know when I started that I won't bother with trophy hunting. So this is what I did. No stress. 

Used to boost online trophies and such (Overlord come to mind), which drove me off from achievement and trophiy hunting completely for a while. Will never do this again. I only go trophy hunting if they trophies seem fun and are quite easy and fast to get. Otherwise, like I said, I either pass on the game completely or play it on a different account or plattform. I'm a 100% sucker. :)

Edited by TheExorzist
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheExorzist said:

Used to boost online trophies and such (Overlord come to mind), which drove me off from achievement and trophiy hunting completely for a while. Will never do this again.

I know what you mean. When I tried it and saw some of those people, damn, trophy hunting consumes all their life, but, it is their choice ?

I was always one of those that tries to get as many trophies as I can but if I encounter one that's too hard or too grindy, I will give up before spending huge amounts of time on it.  Once I got past the 50th platinum and then the 100th, I felt my interest waning.  It is fun to go back and reminisce on some of the fun times I had getting a certain trophy but now trophies are starting to dictate how I approach a game (as I don't like to do multiple playthroughs if I can help it).  It makes me feel as if it is restricting me too much.  What stops me from stopping is if I give up now, I might come back to liking trophies again in a year or two's time and then be really annoyed with a bunch of low completion games.

• Like 3

Because I've always enjoyed collecting things. Of course there are limits to which trophies I will go after, nobody wants to spend their time on a massive grind and not everyone wants the stress of doing a permadeath playthough.

Edited by bikeman223
  • Like 1

The collectable trophies are absolutely the worst! I'm convinced they put it in there just to annoy us as they know it's boring.

The Mafia 2 remaster on PS4 is a perfect example for this, the original on PS3 had 159 wanted posters to collect which was bad enough, for the remaster they added 30 more to make it 189! Absolute trolls doing this and they know very well that everyone hates it so add in more....

• Like 1

I do have rules to collecting trophies, and it just helps me with also not to spend too much on games if I was to buy day one.

I would at these finish the main story if the list was too demanding. I would get 50-60% if there was ridiculous trophies and I would plat if I felt I could do so.

Even then I would take a break from a game if it felt draining to run through again which happens in most cases which helps me appreciate the game when I come back if i didn't sell it before then.

52 minutes ago, colia100 said:

Sometimes i'm tired of it too, certainly when i see what it does to my backlog and to games i would like to play but just can't get to (dont even get me started on my social life...)

But what keeps me going is that i've been doing it for 10 years now, and if i stop now and look back, those years will seem like i was wasting my life away.

So i just decided to plough on and waste the rest of my life on this useless pursuit too cause hey, at least i will have been consistent :dunno:

Ah the sunken cost fallacy. The more time you spend on it, the harder it is to walk away.

I definitely feel that way too, I've been trophy hunting since trophies became a thing. I was 14 when I got my first platinum and I've been doing it on and off ever since. I think it's always good to take breaks but leave the door open so you can always come back to it.

I do like trophy hunting as it makes me play games I normally wouldn't touch.

But after I hit 100 platinums earlier this year, my trophy level progression has slowed dramatically. I still get platinums - I just got the FFVIII Remastered platinum about an hour ago. But nowadays, I just take my time. My interest level in trophy hunting is still the same but I no longer make myself pressured to get to a certain point than I did previously.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, saiyanbloodstyle said:

The collectable trophies are absolutely the worst! I'm convinced they put it in there just to annoy us as they know it's boring.

The Mafia 2 remaster on PS4 is a perfect example for this, the original on PS3 had 159 wanted posters to collect which was bad enough, for the remaster they added 30 more to make it 189! Absolute trolls doing this and they know very well that everyone hates it so add in more....

In the case of Mafia II the wanted posters do actually serve a purpose. Those wanted are the devs, the extra 30 posters are the people that put the work in on the remaster.

• Like 1

I enjoy seeing my gaming history with timestamps. What I wouldn't do to be able to see my complete gaming history going back to the 80's, timestamped.

With regards to why go for trophies? Going back to the Commodore 64 I spent hours trying to rack up a high score on Horace Goes Skiing to send into a magazine. I played Resident Evil on the PS1 getting all 4 endings and doing it in under 3 hours for the Rocket Launcher, completing all tracks on Wipeout to get the Piranha class. I tried to enjoy a game to it's fullest.

Now, you get a trophy as a reminder for doing the things I've always done anyway, with an accurate timestamp. I'm happy.

• Like 3

I never bothered calling myself a "trophy hunter." When I spoke with my friends who referred to themselves as trophy hunters, I always said that I did not care about the trophies. I cared about the trophy — the platinum trophy. Be it as it may, I noticed that I was, and quite often at that, more concerned about the platinum in the games I bought than what was in the games themselves, so I decided to change a thing or two.

My approach changed to the point where I said that I must enjoy the game if I were going to go for the platinum trophy. Fortunately, I am following my rule, and I play a lot of games, but if I go for the platinum, it means I like the game. I am proud that I never turned down a game, because of the trophy difficulty — the only thing I did right from the start when it comes to games and trophies.

Depends on what value you give trophies.

I am a trophyhunter since basically day 1. I used to have an X360 alongside my PS3 just to get achievements pre-2008 before trophies were a thing. I even specifically bought trophyless multiplatform games on my X360 so I could collect them.

Back in the day having a high PSN level was really crazy. I remember looking up people like bieleric, duck360, rd4, andrew, xlukk and others about their crazy trophy lists.

But now the leaderboards have become a joke. The #1 spots and top spots are all multi-player accounts playing japanese novels.

The numbers stopped having meaning to me and I think also to other people.

Now I just play for fun and for myself. I set goals I want to achieve but mostly I play for fun. If I feel as trophy is a waste of time I will simply not do it for a few weeks or months and continue later on when my drive is back.

After all there are more important things in life than trophies and having that small dopamine kick every once in a while is not as thrilling as it used to be.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FawltyPowers said:

I enjoy seeing my gaming history with timestamps. What I wouldn't do to be able to see my complete gaming history going back to the 80's, timestamped.

With regards to why go for trophies? Going back to the Commodore 64 I spent hours trying to rack up a high score on Horace Goes Skiing to send into a magazine. I played Resident Evil on the PS1 getting all 4 endings and doing it in under 3 hours for the Rocket Launcher, completing all tracks on Wipeout to get the Piranha class. I tried to enjoy a game to it's fullest.

Now, you get a trophy as a reminder for doing the things I've always done anyway, with an accurate timestamp. I'm happy.

But weren't you doing it because game accessibility was much lower back then? In the 90s I used to play games I didn't even like just because I didn't have access to other/new games. Whereas today games are literally thrown at us for free by Epic.

• Like 1

Trophies are a blessing and a curse. 

They can add a lot of replayability or they can completely ruin the experience. It's always a wise idea to take a break if burn out occurs.

Remember, gaming is a hobby & should NEVER feel like a job. Trophies will always be around now, just remember to enjoy the experience & take your time. This isn't a race, unless you want top leaderboard spots. 

Edited by MickeyMixLipa
  • Like 2

When I initially started gaming in 2014, I didn't know there was such thing called trophies. But since then, my understanding and passion about the gaming industry grew over time. I learned about PlayStation exclusives, the history of it all and eventually settled into the notion why PlayStation to date is the best gaming platform ever. 2018 arrived along with a juggernaut called God of War and it was the first game I ever platinumed! It was then I joined PSNProfiles and the rest is history.

I look at my gaming as a career. It's my second passion after screenwriting and filmmaking. I love trophies because they sort of mark the endgame for a game. By the time I've achieved the platinum, I feel like I've mastered the game and I love that feeling. It's a confirmation I get that I've officially exhausted this game and it's time to move on to the next one.

My long term goal is to 100% every game I own. And I only play selected, established AAA titles mostly with sprinkles of innovative indie games here and there. I say this as a long term goal, but when I encounter a game I can't take any longer for any reason, I stop playing it. I love trophies but I don't obsess over them at the expense of my satisfaction / entertainment.

With that being said, I completely agree with you that the type of trophy I hate the most is collectables. When I first started collecting trophies, it was fine. But as I get older, this thing has truly become something I grind my teeth over. If the collectables are related to character building, moving the story forward, weapon upgrades or skills development, it has my interest for sure, like how it is in The Last of Us: Part II. But other than that, I really don't see the point of having this type of trophies and it baffles me why almost every game has this as if it is compulsory.

Edited by Uneshddarann