I can't care about trophies anymore. Why do you keep caring?

lettmon

On 10/16/2020 at 5:18 AM, FawltyPowers said:

With regards to why go for trophies? Going back to the Commodore 64 I spent hours trying to rack up a high score on Horace Goes Skiing to send into a magazine. I played Resident Evil on the PS1 getting all 4 endings and doing it in under 3 hours for the Rocket Launcher, completing all tracks on Wipeout to get the Piranha class. I tried to enjoy a game to it's fullest.

Spot on.  Trophies are just one aspect of a "sense of completion" that has always existed in gaming.  Walk-throughs, completion-tracking, and missable collectibles all predate trophies.  Heck, 'trophies' predate trophies.  I mailed in photographs of a TV showing my Atari 2600 Starmaster scores to receive patches for my coat.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starmaster  

Trophies may have made "sense of completion" better (easier to track) or worse (more of a temptation), but the root of the issue is that completionism is enjoyable for some and unhealthy for others. 

Edit: … and the rest are doing just fine in their indifference.

Edited by pogo_loco
Forgot to acknowledge a significant percentage of gamers.

I’ve been feeling the same way. Maybe because I already have a large collection of trophies, that satisfies me, I am becoming less and less willing to go for trophies that I don’t find enjoyable.

An example of this is that infamous trophy from “Titanfall 2”. Coordination (doing several things at the same time) is something I really struggle with, so this trophy is way out of my ability/skill level. Some nice people here encouraged me to keep trying and I appreciate that, but I just don’t want to do it, you know? I don’t enjoy this gauntlet thing at all and I don’t have any fun trying to improve my time; it’s just something extremely stressful and nerve-wracking. If attempting a trophy makes me feel bad, then I don’t think it’s worth it.

A trophy has to be, primarily, fun, even if it’s hard. Nowadays, I don’t have any problems in leaving a game unfinished if I feel it’s time to move on or if going for the trophies is not enjoyable anymore.

3 hours ago, Cleggworth said:

In the case of Mafia II the wanted posters do actually serve a purpose. Those wanted are the devs, the extra 30 posters are the people that put the work in on the remaster.

Yeah the 30 useless people who made a broken remaster of a great game? All i encountered throughout the story was game breaking glitches and bugs, these posters serve 0 purpose other than to swear at each of them.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, saiyanbloodstyle said:

Yeah the 30 useless people who made a broken remaster of a great game? All i encountered throughout the story was game breaking glitches and bugs, these posters serve 0 purpose other than to swear at each of them.

Even better, I look forward to waving my fist at each one when I get around to playing it 

6 hours ago, TheExorzist said:

Stop treating it like an obsession. Only go hunting for trophies if they seem fun to you. 

I try to do this, but these bad lists win sometimes lol.

also some trophies gets tedious when you're halfway through the game, and I go "well I might as will continue.." and I end up not only hating the game, but also not having fun in my spare time. the Mad Max platinum for example, was a chore to get, piss easy, but way too many shit to do and look for 

19 hours ago, Titanomachy_75 said:

If im not wrong I think steam has this for some games! 

Steam doesn't require that games have achievements so you can get games without achievements, but the vast majority will have them even if they are a copy/paste of the PSN or XBL lists because devs know that games with achievements and trading cards tend to sell better.  Only place you can avoid trophies/achievements entirely is on Nintendo systems.  However, one does have the option to turn off trophy and achievement notifications on any platform and that is a great way for people who don't care to avoid them since it's easy to ignore them when not being notified about them.

As far as the topic goes and why I care about trophies and achievements, I see it as a record of what I've done in games.  As a kid I had a notebook where I noted down the titles of every game I beat.  Sadly over the years and many moves, I lost said notebook and can't really recall all the titles of the games I beat as a kid.  To me, trophies and achievements are just like that notebook, but a digital record so I can't lose it no matter how many times I move or even if my place burns down.

• Like 1

I don't think I care about trophies anymore, I've only earned one trophy since May, I was playing Star Ocean 4 at the time and it completely killed my interest in trophies. I always tend to take a break from trophy hunting if a game gets too much, but this is the longest I've gone without earning a platinum but I'm honestly glad, because I've quit trophy hunting I've started playing other games for fun, I recently got 121 stars in Super Mario Galaxy, didn't need to...there was no reward at the end, but I did because it was super fun. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

I always see people talk about trophy hunting and "playing for fun" as if they're mutually exclusive. If that's how you see it, then maybe you weren't cut out for trophy hunting in the first place. I get my enjoyment *from* trophy hunting. It's incredibly satisfying. These days, I find that I quickly lose interest in a game without that allure of trophies/achievements. I have a Switch, but it's something I play casually, primarily due to the lack of a metagame. 

Some of them are fun, most of them are not.

13 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

I always see people talk about trophy hunting and "playing for fun" as if they're mutually exclusive. If that's how you see it, then maybe you weren't cut out for trophy hunting in the first place. I get my enjoyment *from* trophy hunting. It's incredibly satisfying. These days, I find that I quickly lose interest in a game without that allure of trophies/achievements. I have a Switch, but it's something I play casually, primarily due to the lack of a metagame. 

Funny because I feel like I'm more of a completionist on the switch rather than on PS4. Just because it's more of a freedom and it's more fun and rewarding. Your not forced to focus on one thing on the switch. 100% can mean basically ANYTHING you want it to be. 

• Like 1

Sometimes I wonder why the hell are some people still here on these forums because judging some of them, they don't give a damn about trophies. Yet they'll shit on completionists like myself who busted their ass on some games, I know I did for Super Meat Boy and a few others.

I will say I lost a lot of respect for these forums over the years.

On 10/16/2020 at 2:42 AM, lettmon said:

What I hate about trophies - they often treat you like a child or an autist, for example collect all the missable collectibles - you either have to waste colossal amount of time doing it by yourself, never sure if you didn't miss any, or follow a guide witch is even more stupid, IMO these kinds of trophies shouldn't exist.

How do they treat you like a child exactly? Makes absolutely no sense to me.

On 10/16/2020 at 2:49 AM, MookYookers said:

How I see it is, you play what you want, you hunt trophies for what you want. If you don't enjoy it no more, than just stop for a while, just play games for the enjoyment of it and maybe you'll have a spark to come back to hunting at a later date. It's only ever going to be a waste of time if you TRULY believe it is. You're not getting trophies for other people, it's purely for your own satisfaction. 

And yet you put your trophy profile on private. Go figure.

On 10/16/2020 at 3:05 AM, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Welcome to the Collective of Us, the No Trophy Suckers, or C-U-N-T-S for short.

Perks of membership: Now that you can play anywhere, and play entirely just for fun, you can shop the deals on 3 times as many consoles as you could before.

You stopped caring years ago, not sure why you're still here honestly.

On 10/16/2020 at 4:18 AM, FawltyPowers said:

I enjoy seeing my gaming history with timestamps. What I wouldn't do to be able to see my complete gaming history going back to the 80's, timestamped.

With regards to why go for trophies? Going back to the Commodore 64 I spent hours trying to rack up a high score on Horace Goes Skiing to send into a magazine. I played Resident Evil on the PS1 getting all 4 endings and doing it in under 3 hours for the Rocket Launcher, completing all tracks on Wipeout to get the Piranha class. I tried to enjoy a game to it's fullest.

Nobody cared about completion back then except for a very select few.

Most games at that time were basically play until the end, and that was it. Many NES and Sega games were built around this. In Batman: The Video Game, you ran out of lives, it's back to the start of the level. And that was fucking generous compared to what most games gave you.

I commend anyone who beat stuff like Ninja Gaiden on the NES. Now that is an accomplishment.

On 10/16/2020 at 4:35 AM, lettmon said:

But weren't you doing it because game accessibility was much lower back then? In the 90s I used to play games I didn't even like just because I didn't have access to other/new games. Whereas today games are literally thrown at us for free by Epic.

We were kids back then, we couldn't just drive out and buy the latest game. If I wanted Sonic the Hedgehog 3 I had to go down to my local Blockbuster. I was allowed one game to rent every couple weeks. I was stuck with it the entire weekend.

Kids nowadays have it so fucking easy.

Because I still care about games, and they put a percentage bar on it.

I can’t see a percent bar based on my input and not want to fill it up. I just can’t, and I really can’t understand people who can.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t have a 100% profile, and I won’t go nuts trying to finish a game I hate, or avoid games that seem too hard to 100% or any of those negative behaviours, but I can’t just not try to max out all those bars.

That would just feel like baking in failure as a base state. that would be saying “I am going to do this thing half-arsed.” That would be being broken.

I can accept failing, but I can’t accept not trying.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 4

• 3 months later...

Without trophies I would rush the story and be finished with almost every game in 1-2 days. With trophies I have a goal and enjoy the game with everything it has to offer. Some trophies are retarded grinds but when getting that 100% I feel satisfied  every time.

Also thanks to trophies I’ve discovered many games I would normally never even play.

Tbh, I would probably still play WoW and bash console noobs and scream PC master race??‍♂️?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Deluziion90 said:

Without trophies I would rush the story and be finished with almost every game in 1-2 days. With trophies I have a goal and enjoy the game with everything it has to offer. Some trophies are retarded grinds but when getting that 100% I feel satisfied  every time.

Also thanks to trophies I’ve discovered many games I would normally never even play.

Tbh, I would probably still play WoW and bash console noobs and scream PC master race?1f3fb.png‍♂️1f602.png

Good answer.

• 4 months later...

because i have no better things to do in my life besides basketball, work and listening to rock music all my free time
also, im that kind of player that can plat a game and enjoy at the same time so with each of my plat i had an enjoyment
btw - trophies are the only thing that keeps me happy at some way

Edited by Baranov_925
  • Like 1