Get now or hold off for patches?

DoomsdayVivi

Personally I found this game way more enjoyable than odyssey. I'm playing on ps5 and I have yet to encounter any glitch/crash after 30 hours in the game. However I do see a lot of people encountering glitches. Just make lots of manual saves and you should be fine but the road to platinum sure is a time-consuming one. I would say get the game now if you have ps5 and you are eager to play and wait for patch if you are on ps4. I see lots of people encounter glitches with this game on ps4. WIth 780 collectibles to collect wouldn't really wanna risk it.

Edited by Mirrors1118
  • Like 1

90 hours clocked in on PS4 version , encountered several bugs and glitches, so here's how it should go for you : 

Love the franchise - I'd say buy the base game only. If it's on PS5 have no worry, if it's on PS4 then manual save periodically because this game can be quite broken.

If you are not invested in the franchise - wait until a massive patch is released or when the game is at a discount.

Truth be told, you can apply this for every Ubisoft game.

I'd say get the base game without season pass, because Ubi games tend to get some discounts quite soon after release. If I am not wrong, Watchdogs Legion already has a discount in the Store.

Edited by Copanele

I've got 80 hours in on the PS4 version (with a ton of exploration and very little story complete) and the game hasn't crashed on me at all. But there have been a plethora of small, annoying glitches. Mostly things like getting stuck in scenery, or NPC's not following you or moving to their correct locations, or button prompts to move missions along not appearing. Nothing serious though...loving the game. Only thing I don't care for is the combat...but that's just preference. 

If you love this series like I do...then I say get it. The first patch can't be too far off now anyways. If you're lukewarm on it or didn't care for Origins and/or Odyssey...then might as well wait. 

The problem with threads like these is that you're going to get die hards rushing in to recommend the game no matter what rather than looking at it objectively.

The truth is, no one should be recommending this game at the state it's in. It's completely broken. 

30 to 40 hours of gameplay is not enough time to be recommending this game because there may be bugs that you probably haven't even realised are present until it's too late. One such bug I didn't discover until many hours in and had to reload like 3 chapters to fix it. The game also gets buggier as it goes along, most of the game breaking bugs are late game.

It's really shocking because IMO it's very difficult to make a bad Assassin's Creed game as the core mechanics are inherently fun.

However, this game ruins even the most basic elements by being incredibly janky. 

Bugs aside, it's 6 /10 game AT BEST. The bugs bring it down to 5/10. Definitely the worst Assassin's Creed game BY FAR. Even Revelations is better than this lol REVELATIONS. 

The story is unwieldy and ill paced. It frequently grinds to halt to plonk in arcs that are not needed. You could have easily pulled out about 3 chapters to tighten it up.

Also,  the main character is NOT AN ASSASSIN. In fact he actively makes fun of the Assassins.

This game is a spit in the face to the long term Creed fans and serves only those who like Assassin's Creed iconography on a superficial level.

It brings back nostalgic elements for fan service purposes but does them horribly

For all the crap Odyssey took it was an extremely fun game and the Order of the Ancients were the main antagonists. Here, they're a glorified side quest.

Watch Dogs Legion was buggy but fundamentally a fun game. This aint even that.

Absolutely do not buy this game at full price and do not get the season pass either. I regret buying Gold and on digital. Now I have to slog out the DLCs as well.

• Like 1

I'm currently 60+, experienced few crashes, on glitch that forced me to restart at the very beginning, but nothing ever since. I make manual save pretty every moment in the story or whenever I encounter a world event. 

The 120+ for the platinum can be real daunting. I am at the point where certain objectives start to feel very repetitive and kinda tiresome. That being said, I'm still having fun with the game.

The combat is a lot of fun, with certain abilities mixed and it's way better to control than it was in Odyssey and Origins, although, I miss the Spartan kick lol. Also, this is the most Assassins Creed game feel in nearly a decade, which is saying a lot. Eivor got to the hidden blade like a blind man to violin, but they actually implement the Assassins Creed lore and the activities in it very well and you get to actually disguise yourself to plan an attack to assassinate your target. Instead of mindless attack (which you can still do btw), you can plan your route and play like an actual Assassin like the series intended before. The targets have actual names and hidden background behind, not being nameless NPC's like it was in Odyssey. If your a fan of the series, you are gonna love this aspect, cause the developers put a lot of thought into it and finally acknowledge the OG fans in some sense. 

I'm also pretty engaged in the story, which happen rarely in Ubisoft games. I also liked the story in Origins and I could not care less about Odyssey's story. Here, I'm invested in Eivor and his story involved around his brother. There is also a mystery aspect to it involving Odin, which I'm curious how it turns out, so the game has my curiosity at least for the time being in terms of story. I will say that some story arcs go on too long or are not necessary. This is more on the developers making this game needlessly longer than it should be and it's a shame that Ubisoft keeps doing that.

Also, Orlog. It's a fun mini game that is simple and quickly becoming the next Gwent :D 

It's a pretty tough choice to recommend it now for all the possible bugs. I have not got anything that would damage my experience with the game, but then there could be others that will encounter those bugs. I will say that if you decide to jump into the game, make frequent saves before important missions or quests and you should have no problem. 

• Like 2

i have 39hours of play and luckily i had not bugs. I think that the game can be playable if you keep old saves (at the start of each region and random saves during gameplay). In the other hand i know people that encounters critical bugs where they cannot keep going trought main questline (npcs disappear). They disinstalled and reinstalled the game and never encounter a bug again (but they must restart the game or reload a very old save after reinstallation)

1 hour ago, Vault-TecPhantom said:

The problem with threads like these is that you're going to get die hards rushing in to recommend the game no matter what rather than looking at it objectively.

The truth is, no one should be recommending this game at the state it's in. It's completely broken. 

30 to 40 hours of gameplay is not enough time to be recommending this game because there may be bugs that you probably haven't even realised are present until it's too late. One such bug I didn't discover until many hours in and had to reload like 3 chapters to fix it. The game also gets buggier as it goes along, most of the game breaking bugs are late game.

It's really shocking because IMO it's very difficult to make a bad Assassin's Creed game as the core mechanics are inherently fun.

However, this game ruins even the most basic elements by being incredibly janky. 

The story is unwieldy and ill paced. It frequently grinds to halt to plonk in arcs that are not needed. You could have easily pulled out about 3 chapters to tighten it up.

Bashes "die hard" fans for not looking at the game through objective lens but then proceeds do the same exact thing... 30-40 hours is a good chunk and if you aint come across major game breaking bugs during that amount of time then its probably safe to say the game ain't that broke although it does have issues that needs fixing but what open world rpg doesn't at launch?

Id argue that this is the most assassins creed game we got in a long time. Many of the elements from the first few games are present in this one and while the story focus is no longer on the creed, you're still doing the same shit you'd do in any of the og titles but just with an rpg makeover. The series has always been janky especially the climbing but I will agree with you that the story is ill paced and broken up into too many parts.

Edited by BrandedBerserk
  • Like 1

100+ hours in

Experienced several bugs and crashes on ps4. One even withholds me from finishing a side quest..Game feels unfinished in several places but is pretty decent otherwise! There"s A LOT to do in order to get the plat so It'll take a while.Have not finished the game but I can tell you that the story drags.A lot of rinse and repeat. .

I'd wait out a patch!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Vault-TecPhantom said:

Bugs aside, it's 6 /10 game AT BEST. The bugs bring it down to 5/10. Definitely the worst Assassin's Creed game BY FAR. Even Revelations is better than this lol REVELATIONS. 

Also,  the main character is NOT AN ASSASSIN. In fact he actively makes fun of the Assassins.

This game is a spit in the face to the long term Creed fans and serves only those who like Assassin's Creed iconography on a superficial level.

It brings back nostalgic elements for fan service purposes but does them horribly

For all the crap Odyssey took it was an extremely fun game and the Order of the Ancients were the main antagonists. Here, they're a glorified side quest.

Watch Dogs Legion was buggy but fundamentally a fun game. This aint even that.

Absolutely do not buy this game at full price and do not get the season pass either. I regret buying Gold and on digital. Now I have to slog out the DLCs as well.

Everything you've written here is subjective opinion which you are pushing as objective fact :). You are also a person with 9 AC platinums dating back to 2015 categorising other people as Die-hards. I'm not out to fight or devalue what you are saying here, I agree with some of the things you said, I just think labelling people who like the game as 'die-hards' while being one yourself is a bit misguided.

It's okay to recommend this game based on a person's personal opinion just as much as it's okay for someone to not recommend it. Nothing wrong with either. 'Die hards rushing to recommend the game' is just a way to cancel out or devalue any opinion that doesn't align with yours.

Are you qualified to give a solid, valuable and constructive opinion on the game because you have the platinum + 9 other AC platinums? Absolutely. Does that make your opinion on the game the only true opinion? Absolutely not.

I'm about 100 hours in and I've personally really enjoyed it. It's had bugs and a few issues in that time but honestly, that's literally every modern Ubisoft game of this ilk. I definitely preferred Odyssey and it's pacing to Valhalla, but I haven't reached a point where I've disliked the game. Comparably, I much prefer the setting of this game to the previous entries - i've been waiting for either a Viking or a Feudal Japanese AC game for years.

@DoomsdayVivi Right now - if you are on the fence, my personal recommendation would be to wait until early next year after a few patches to hammer out the kinks and let them smoothen the experience. As you can see the game is really really divisive - so I'd also recommend doing some extra research and take into account lot's of different opinions and perspectives before committing to a purchase :).

Edited by Crispy_Oglop
  • Like 1

Update: I haven't started it yet but guides say to complete the story missions of a region and, before going to the next region, to collect all the collectibles (Wealth / Mysteries / Artefacts) of the region where you just completed the story missions. How do you know when you completed the story of a region? Does the game tell you this? Thanks!

What are patches supposed to do?  Fix the invincibility glitch? Remove infinite money? Remove some random bug you've only seen on youtube?

I bet if you look at the patch notes from any game you played that you never even seen 10% of whatever is being patched. 

Keep waiting tho. Not playing games is easier.  All you need is Twitch

24 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

What are patches supposed to do?  Fix the invincibility glitch? Remove infinite money? Remove some random bug you've only seen on youtube?

I bet if you look at the patch notes from any game you played that you never even seen 10% of whatever is being patched. 

Keep waiting tho. Not playing games is easier.  All you need is Twitch

Not sure what you mean--patches would fix known and common game-breaking bugs. I'm trying to gauge how commonly people have experienced them here. Have you  never experienced a game that was broken early on and then got patched to be stable? Fallout: New Vegas was one for me. 

To all who offered advice, thank you so much for your feedback. My plan is to finish up AC: Syndicate, then play Ghost of Tsushima (have heard great things), and by then hopefully a big old patch is out for the more flagrant issues for Valhalla. 

• Like 1

I think some are being needlessly outraged by my post.  There was no “bashing”, intentional or otherwise.

@Crispy. I am an Assassin's Creed stan, it’s true. I own the sword of Altair. I've played every game and platinumed all apart from Brotherhood and Revelations which I am saving for later. My recent save file in Valhalla – which I have also platinumed - says 150 hours. That said, I can separate my love for the series to review what is right in front of me.  The situation is not good. I cannot in good faith recommend a game this broken. I am talking purely about bugs and performance. The issue as to whether the game itself is good or whether this is a “true” Assassin’s Creed game could be argued back and forth endlessly but at the end of the day that’s about personal taste, technical performance is not. People are experiencing game breaking bugs across the board. Recommending the game knowing this is risky to the OP and IMO irresponsible.

• Like 1