Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Saber Interactive takes over)

Abby_TheLastofUs

It was rumored for a while, but now it's official. A Knights of the Old Republic remake is coming to PS5.

A complete remake from ground-up. Developers from the original Knights of the Old Republic are involved.

Update

Some unfortunate news.

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic, a remake of a 2003 role-playing game, is delayed indefinitely as developers at Austin, Texas-based Aspyr Media try to figure out what comes next. Aspyr also abruptly fired the game’s art director and design director this month. In a series of meetings throughout July, Aspyr’s two studio heads told employees that the project is on pause and that the company will look for new contracts and development opportunities, said the people, who were not authorized to speak publicly about the situation. 

On June 30, Aspyr finalized a demo of the game, known as a vertical slice, to show to production partners Lucasfilm Ltd. LLC and Sony Group Corp. The developers were excited about it and felt like they were on track, according to a person familiar with the project, so they were shocked by what happened next.

The following week, the company fired design director Brad Prince and art director Jason Minor. Neither responded to requests for comment, but Minor suggested on a social media page that his dismissal was unexpected. 

Aspyr’s studio heads told staff that the vertical slice wasn’t where they wanted it to be and that the project would be paused, according to two people who were in the meeting. One person familiar with the discussions suggested that a disproportionate amount of time and money had gone into the demo and that the project’s current course wasn’t sustainable. 

Another point of contention may be the timeline. At the outset of development, Aspyr told staff and partners it would release the game by the end of 2022, according to two people familiar with production. Developers said a more realistic target now would be 2025.

Update #2

The highly anticipated remake of the video game Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic has a new developer after a bumpy ride.

The project, formerly in development at Austin, Texas-based Aspyr Media, is now being led by one of Saber Interactive’s Eastern European studios, according to a person familiar with the change who asked not to be identified because the details are private. Both developers are owned by the Swedish company Embracer Group AB, which obliquely referenced the pivot in a public statement last week. A representative for Embracer didn’t immediately have a comment.

The transition shuts down any lingering hope within Aspyr that it may be able to continue leading the project. Bosses at the studio, which had been developing the remake for more than two years, told staff last month that the game was “on pause” as the company tried to figure out what to do next, Bloomberg reported. The message left open the possibility that Aspyr could one day reclaim a leadership role, but rumors quickly swirled among employees that Saber was taking over. 

Edited by Abby_TheLastofUs
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Stan Lee said:

Unless BioWare learned some serious lessons with the Mass Effect: Andromeda and Anthem debacles, I doubt we'll see a great game from them ever again.

Can't argue with that assesment, I saw Andromeda and Anthem and recoiled at what I saw.I heard the exclusive game rights that EA had, might be expiring. So hey, maybe we'll finally see some more good Star Wars games.

EA already poisoned BioWare starting with Mass Effect 3. That ending was a colossal disappointment and so much of the game didn’t make sense. 

Mass Effect: Andromeda I’ve read several bad things about it, so I just didn’t bother. Anthem? Meh, another futuristic shooter that is multiplayer centric. Destiny 2 already covered those grounds, and I have no desire to ever play that game.

Star Wars is really being milked at this point. We’ve gotten what, around three - four AAA budget Star Wars games, and a handful of old school retro games in the past five - six years? 

I heard good things about Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order despite EA having a handle of it. I’m all tapped out. 

Although, much like the Metal Gear Solid remake rumours, this is one we've all heard many times over the years. I'll believe it if an official announcement is made, and even then that's no guarantee that it'll release. Not trying to be negative, I'll gladly be proven wrong if something real materialises this time. 

Edited by bikeman223

• 7 months later...

Nice that it is a full remake.  As long as it plays and looks like a modern day game, I am in.  Trailer is promising anyway.

I played SW Jedi Knight II Jedi Outcast and boy, that did not age well.  So dated and clunky I could not bring myself to finish.

Pretty shocked it's exclusive to PlayStation given the Microsoft (Xbox and Windows) association with KOTOR and KOTOR II. 

But it looks like it will got a PC release, since Sony said "console exclusive">

I played KOTOR and KOTOR II from the end of 2015 to early 2016 on Windows. The games didn't seem that dated to me, but some updates would be nice. It probably will be Legends continuity, since they claim the integrity of the stories and characters will be intact. But who knows, maybe the Story Group will deem this remake canon and it tweaks some minor things from the original game's continuity. 

I'm really looking forward to this. If it turns out well, i'd love KOTOR II remade. 

• Like 1

A lot of the original BioWare devs are in on this one so it's going to be a title to watch. My mates rave about the KOTOR games a lot so I'm thinking this can be my in, for the series. RPGs that care to its designs are precious in modern gaming.

On 25/01/2021 at 2:51 PM, MidnightDragon said:

As much as EA has poisoned BioWare, I honestly am fine with this.

EA's BioWare isn't remaking it. It's Aspyr + the original devs.