Your opinion on microtransactions?

arcanehornet_

Strangely, I actually don't hate microtransactions as much as many others, unless I feel that the game experience has been significantly lessened for me in order to incorporate them.

For example, Jim Sterling often complained about MTs for new characters, costumes, etc. (say, in Dynasty Warriors games). But prior to DW9, I couldn't have cared less. So I don't have a sexy maid outfit for Diao Chan in DW8XL. It didn't change the core gameplay experience for me. However, when they started selling original weapons for characters, as they did in DW9, then I was annoyed, because that changed that core gameplay.

People mention mobile gaming, and I get that anyone who plays that stuff might have a different view. I certainly don't like a game that sells an experience booster that, while not necessary, will certainly save me the trouble of mundanely killing 100,000,000 slimes over the next 20 years. But I don't play those games.

• Like 2

I find it funny that millions of people now look up to Jim Sterling as if he is this great spokesperson calling out all the bad trends and decision making in gaming. This man is in his 40s so he appeals to both older people and to younger people. While I think he has made some excellent analysis videos and backs up his statements with good evidence, I find him a bit overrated.

Almost like when Boogie2988 got big and people decided to hang on his every word. I respected the man and followed him for a long time well before his meltdown occurred. But now, don't care about him.

I've supported many YouTubers over the years, even giving some of them donation money. Jim Sterling is just the most prevalent when it comes to speaking against things like microtransactions and lootboxes, which I support his opinions strongly on.

I have been playing hearthstone for a while (started 6 months ago - did not hit legend yet, but always ending the month at Diamond 1 or 2 with a deathrattle big hunter). Eventhough I did not pay for anything, I can deal with fancy-paid decks of a whole lot of people. 

If people wants to spend their money, let them do it. I just don't care (: 

• 4 months later...

I very much am against microtransactions in all forms.  Pay to win or just a straight money grab, they are a detriment to gamers everywhere.  I've all but boycotted EA because of their over-reliance on them, and the fact they will eliminate better game modes just to shove their microtransaction modes down your throat (HUT anyone?). 

DLCs are one thing but charging $5 for a single character or weapon that everyone knows/likes/wants is just shady business practice.

Edited by felatio_deltoro
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

When microtransactions started I was okay with it, at first I saw dlc as the transactions, but nowadays things should be earnable ingame! but its made into a transaction. I miss the old days when there were cheats and codes to unlockables. Those all become microtransactions now. What next? special skills and abilities must be paid for? maybe not a P2W skill but something cool being omitted so you gotta buy it.

• Like 1

I was fine with it when it was in free mobile games.  Maybe even a bit in retail games when it was cheap and maybe felt kinda worth it.  Now we got garbage like Diablo 4's every in game purchase and anything by Ubisoft.  Macrotransactions.

It's ridiculous.  Then the apologists that were raised into this kind of thing saying people against it are wrong is fantastic.

I'm fine with the idea of DLC and expansion packs, but not with what a lot of it has become.

Edited by chriee
  • Like 2

I think cosmetics are fine i.e. if you want to throw your money at an unicorn and shiny armor in SP games, that's valid. If you use microtransactions to get an edge on a competitive game or other MP, that's a big no. Story enriching DLC & Expansion packs are free game provided they do have value.

I don't care.  As long as it's not pay to win or the base game is so sluggish to get you to buy boosts, Assassin's Creed Odyssey.

I might be a terrible example though.  Cause I've spent more than I'd care to admit on Genshin.  Like not whale levels but yea... At least three banners I've spent over 200.  Aqua Simulcra, Layla, and Mistsplitter.  Weapon Banner and pulling 4 stars is bullshit.

Not a fan of microtransactions at all, but if they must exist I think they should add some sort of additional playable content or help in some way, rather than been purely cosmetic. Like the microtransactions in disblo 4, more than the cost of the game for a purely cosmetic armor, absolutely disgusting in my opinion

There's tons of games still being made that don't have them. They're pretty easy to avoid. I also don't care that much; if I or someone else wants to buy something stupid that's our prerogative. That being said, I do appreciate the mtx that take creative liberties that wouldn't otherwise ever be programmed into a game without. For example, I purchased a lion mount in AC Valhalla because I thought it was awesome. 

Edited by Vulpine9Tails
  • Like 1

I don't really care. A lot of microtransactions seem to be there for people who don't really like to play games. Like, there's an option to buy red orbs for cheap in DMC. I'd rather just, uhh.. umm.. play.. the game and get them. How awful.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2021 at 5:34 PM, HuntingFever said:

I hate microtransactions in all their forms, no matter what the game is and just wish they would go away.

same, the fomo or pay to win are the worst , abk ,tencent ,ea and capcom are in my sight about that ,i try my best to avoid their games and for diablo 4 it hurts so much (hope the hack n slash last epoch comes to ps soon,will heal me a bit )

• Like 1

They're a symptom to a problem of games not costing enough at the point of sale. More specifically, this is for games that also have an upfront cost.

For F2P titles, extreme caution needs to be taken to ensure healthy monetization, without exploiting players or their finances.

• Like 1

Overall i don't mind them but I'm not a fan of them, it mainly depends on the context.

• Cosmetics - i don't mind as long as they aren't insanely overpriced and that there are a few free cosmetics already in the game already.

• Battle passes - I don't like them, it feels like a lazy way to get players to engage in a game that isn't getting weekly or monthly updates, I honestly think Fortnite does it Great because the rewards are actually decent, battle pass XP can be obtained in STW and You aren't forced to get all other crappy rewards for the one you want now (for the most part). Controversial one but out of all the games I've played with a battlepass, RDR2 has been my favourite, purely because of how quickly they can be completed, i don't see the point in paying for something just to be forced to log on every day for 6 weeks to get my money's worth.

• Subscribtions - It depends on what the subscriptions contain, even though I have 4000 hours in GTA Online and 2000 hours in Fallout 76 which are both games that have subscriptions, they are pretty scummy moves, but I don't like subscriptions in general.

The price of the game also plays a part, if it's a free game then I can let some things pass. Another factor is how many paid items the game has, logging in and seeing paid items and ads everywhere is offputting 

Edited by Lewis_Y123

It needs to get much worse before people will stop buying these games. I say let everything have microtransactions. Want to customize your character throw an extra 5, want subtitles throw another 5. Want to take screenshots of our game, give us another 40.

Edited by VigilantCrow

One early example of microtransaction abuse is probably Double Dragon 3 (USA arcade version). After paying 2 quarters to start, there is a shop right in front of you. Want weapons or the hurricane kick? Now they cost you. Go inside, but get in your pocket for real money. That'll be one more quarter, please... for each of them. A $1 game disguised as $0.50. What sneaky bastards.

I hate to say it, but DD3 may have flicked the first domino on Technos' demise. I do not hold Technos blameless... they farmed it out to an outside studio, East Technology. And their American branch let the game see release with MTs.

Well theres the micro transaction and the macro transaction

which version do you wanna discuss

the $1 per tier skip or the super mega premium deluxe battle pass ontop of the regular battle pass transactions with the paid dlc that cost more than the base game

yeah i think they suck

Edited by Property_Damage