Reversal: PS3, Vita, And PSP Stores To No Longer Close Permanently

WaddysWDS

11 hours ago, NxtDoc said:

Fuckin thank you!  gamepASS is in fact unsustainable, and removes power from us customers/gamers.  I hate the term "Value".  Because no one ends up liking value... we want quality.   Value ultimately ends up being garbage

#1 Sony fanboi chimes in again. Explain your value/quality argument with gamepass. I don't subscribe to it, nor will I ever- but it's extreeeeeemly popular. It's got no shortage of quality games, and many younger gamers don't care about ownership- they just want to play the games. 

Edited by Floorkiller74
  • Like 1

For the ppl who are waiting on Sony to confirm or deny is irrelevant or are waiting on a sale for specific PS3 game/DLC... tomorrow is Sony’s big Play @ home with a ton of free PS4 games... they don’t give a shit about the PS3 or Vita... in fact let me ask you all this.... If Sony said hey we’ll give you 1 last final sale on the PS3/Vita, but you couldn’t get the Play @ home games for free no more, which would you choose? It doesn’t matter if you buy your older stuff now or in a couple of months, it most likely will be the same price....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Carbon_Lancer said:

For the ppl who are waiting on Sony to confirm or deny is irrelevant or are waiting on a sale for specific PS3 game/DLC... tomorrow is Sony’s big Play @ home with a ton of free PS4 games... they don’t give a shit about the PS3 or Vita... in fact let me ask you all this.... If Sony said hey we’ll give you 1 last final sale on the PS3/Vita, but you couldn’t get the Play @ home games for free no more, which would you choose? It doesn’t matter if you buy your older stuff now or in a couple of months, it most likely will be the same price....

100% i would choose a ps3 sale over play at home games^^. yes its the same price but spending 500 bucks now is different than spending 500 bucks over 2-3 yearrs. at least for most people

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Carbon_Lancer said:

The likelihood of having final ps3 sale is close to zero.

It's not Sony who dictate game prices and its not Sony who select games for sale and determine discount rate. Its game publishers who do that, and their interest in selling 10 copies of some abandoned long forgotten title is probably comparable to Sony's interest in keeping PS3 alive.

That's also why last existing ps3 sales kept having the same games over and over again. No one else cared.

Edited by Zbir_Vladimir
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jhony_C said:

What do you think will happen with the trophy update and what will happen with the video games of the plus? Will we have them forever since you will not be able to check if we have it or not?

I seriously doubt that we won't be able to sync trophy and download purchased games after store closure. Nonetheles, we never know until there is an official confirmation. :)

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, kingdrake2 said:

i would choose the vita/ps3 sale over play at home games imo. 

48 minutes ago, Helyx said:

I'd do both. Claim the PS4 stuff with an alternate account, while my main account gets to grab the final few DLCs I need to round out my PS3 collection.

Touché 

47 minutes ago, Ich1994-1994 said:

100% i would choose a ps3 sale over play at home games^^. yes its the same price but spending 500 bucks now is different than spending 500 bucks over 2-3 yearrs. at least for most people

Now I was hoping I would get the PS3/vita answer....but I wanted to put a spoiler text in saying what YOU choose, goes for EVERYONE, still have the same answer????? Meaning you just screwed all PS4 owners just so you can save a few bucks on ME3 and Drakengard DLC ????

Thought I ? for a second 

45 minutes ago, Zbir_Vladimir said:

The likelihood of having final ps3 sale is close to zero.

It's not Sony who dictate game prices and its not Sony who select games for sale and determine discount rate. Its game publishers who do that, and their interest in selling 10 copies of some abandoned long forgotten title is probably comparable to Sony's interest in keeping PS3 alive.

That's also why last existing ps3 sales kept having the same games over and over again. No one else cared.

Yea it’s pretty much done for on the sales, think the last price drop was Deadfall went from $20 to $5 and Sound Shapes only cause of cross-buy... I was just just seeing who my die hard PS3/Vita ppl are ? I love my PS3s and Vitas

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DEI2EK said:

I would still advise making a bucket list of PS3/Vita content you want from the store and working on acquiring it sooner rather than later as the PS3/Vita store isn't going to last forever regardless if this shut down rumor is real or not.

This right here. Make a list of what stuff you want even if you're not going to buy them right now. And then if Sony confirms the shutdown, you'll know what stuff to buy over the next few months. That's what I'm doing. I'm not buying anything digitally until they confirm your download list will still be accessible after the shutdown but I have started stocking up on physical Vita games I've been meaning to play

• Like 1

I'd advise not making any sort of purchases before we get some form of official confirmation from Sony.

I had worries about digital purchases expiring when the CMOS battery which cause the internal clock to de-sync with Sony's servers.

If and it's a strong "if" that just not the storefronts but all PS3 server infrastructure does get shut down, we may be looking at losing our ability to validate our digital licences.

To quote an article that confirms my worries about the CMOS issue...

Game preservationist group [Does it play?] drove home the impact of such a business decision by Sony on Twitter. The thread is quick to point out that even if users are quick to re-download all of their purchases to a PS3 system before the purported July 2nd deadline, those games will eventually become unplayable if the system clock becomes desynchronized. Replacing the PRAM battery and reconnecting to the PlayStation Network prior to Sony shuttering their servers should buy the user some more playtime. However, without any further changes to Sony’s licensing policy little else can be done physically to ensure those digital PS3 games will work in perpetuity.

https://hackaday.com/2021/03/23/digital-playstation-3-purchases-may-only-live-as-long-as-your-pram-battery-without-sony-servers/#comments

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Null_Spectre said:

I'd advise not making any sort of purchases before we get some form of official confirmation from Sony.

I had worries about digital purchases expiring when the CMOS battery which cause the internal clock to de-sync with Sony's servers.

If and it's a strong "if" that just not the storefronts but all PS3 server infrastructure does get shut down, we may be looking at losing our ability to validate our digital licences.

To quote an article that confirms my worries about the CMOS issue...

https://hackaday.com/2021/03/23/digital-playstation-3-purchases-may-only-live-as-long-as-your-pram-battery-without-sony-servers/#comments

At that point, I just hope there's some hacking methods to circumvent this. I believe there already are, but I'm not certain, I know next to nothing about homebrew. If the PS3 or other PS consoles do become fully offline and unable to connect to PSN at all, there wouldn't be much holding me back from hacking them to retain access to my legally bought games. It's just a sad future if it actually comes to that.

• Like 2

I've just spent a couple of hours scanning through the Vita library and made a list of all games that I'd be interested in playing/ buying if this thing is going to happen.

I'm not making any purchases until Sony officially announce the store closure - and if we are able to download already bought games (At least I'd hope this is the case).

So far, I'm at £342.

Come on Sony. Let us know as soon as possible so I can split this up monthly so it won't hit as hard as it already has to my emotions!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

At that point, I just hope there's some hacking methods to circumvent this. I believe there already are, but I'm not certain, I know next to nothing about homebrew. If the PS3 or other PS consoles do become fully offline and unable to connect to PSN at all, there wouldn't be much holding me back from hacking them to retain access to my legally bought games. It's just a sad future if it actually comes to that.

My experience with homebrew so far is my PSPGo which is a fantastic system again once you have some custom firmware installed, loads of how-to resources online.

And I don't see why you couldn't alter/trick the clock if you have custom firmware installed, jailbreaking it does give access to the kernel.

I've got an old fat PS3 (sadly not BC with PS2 games) might test over the weekend and run some scenarios.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

MS doesn't offer anything that appeals to me. I also already own all the PS Vita, PS3 and PSP titles and DLC that I want, mostly on physical. 

There's game pass and far superior backwards compatibility ?

Edited by Cryogenicide_X
  • Like 1