DrBloodmoney's Super Scientific Ranking of Games!

DrBloodmoney

2 minutes ago, TimeLordCrow13y said:

I’ve been enjoying your thread for a bit and would like to request a review of Tomb Raider: Legend (because I’ve recently Platted it myself, and I’m interested to hear your thoughts on it). 

I also find the fact that you’ve completed every single TR & LC game very impressive-I hope to get there someday myself! :D

Thanks for following along mate ☺️

Absolutely- I’ll flag TR: Legend for Priority Assessment with your name ?

• Like 1

Killing it with the reviews as always, doc!

Have you thought about doing a mini ranking system related to difficulty by any chance? The awesomeness theme is great, but am curious as to where you would rank the Dunwall City Trials because you've done some challenging stuff. I've heard some wild shit about that DLC, and have got it coming up soon ?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

one that ‘commands respect’ (whatever that might be - we’d have to ask AJ about that 1f609.png1f602.png)

God this made me laugh ? It's crazy how that term gets thrown around here. We've even labelled UR's as "respectables" in our group because we find it so ridiculous.

I would have more respect for a stranger saying "G'day" to me than a random trophy hunter with "impressive" stats.

16 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

The Dishonoured Trials are demonstrably difficult, but for the most part, they are based around a fun traversal mechanic that I enjoyed.

I recognise they were tough - very much so - but actually quantifying how tough they were, vs. some other game that also had a tough challenge, but I was less personally enamoured with, is something I wouldn’t feel particularly comfortable stating categorically - at least publicly and with any kind of pretense at authority. 

I am, I think, a poor judge of relative difficulty, for exactly the same reason I think I’m a decent judge of relative awesomeness (personal relative awesomeness of course!)

- because I find it incredibly difficult to separate the game as a discrete entity from my experience with it - if that makes sense?

It makes perfect sense, mate. I appreciate the detailed response too! Knowing you enjoyed the trials gives me more than enough hope.

You're a bit modest in regards to the challenging games you've done though. I believe you would do a stellar job in ranking them, but I fully understand where you're coming from ?

10/10 on your trophy cabinet btw

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, The Devils Reaper said:

God this made me laugh 1f602.png It's crazy how that term gets thrown around here. We've even labelled UR's as "respectables" in our group because we find it so ridiculous.

Ah, The Respectables - my favourite trophy-themed Stallone movie ? 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Devils Reaper said:

Knowing you enjoyed the trials gives me more than enough hope.

Sorry - I forgot to address this - and I meant to!

So, I did the trials quite a while ago, but from what I recall - they are interesting, because they are difficult in different ways.

There is at least 1 that is a sort of ‘randomly checkpointing timetrial’ and that one is difficult in the pure, Mirrors Edge style, one-failure and you’re fucked kind of way - so just practice practice practice.

There is one I recall that is combat focussed, and needs both some skill, and a whole lot of luck. It involves killing multiple waves - which is fun - but requires that every enemy dies from you killing them - and there is a lot of scope for the bigger ones accidentally killing the smaller ones. That means it can get frustrating, if you get to a late round, then a big guy just stomps on a little one, screwing it up. 

Aside from those two though, most are in the kind of Bioshock-Trials, puzzle style, and fairly manageable. Theres also some collectibles across all challenges, which are pretty tough to find, but obviously a guide will negate that if used.

Nothing is insurmountable though - and nothing in comparison to some stuff you have done in other games, so I think you’ll have fun!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, ShadyWARcotix said:

I just wanted to say that I love your reviews and after reading The Devils Reapers post about your trophy cabinet. I checked it out and holy moly how cool is that? Very creative Doc!!

Thank you mate - I appreciate that! ☺️

3 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Sorry - I forgot to address this - and I meant to!

There is one I recall that is combat focussed, and needs both some skill, and a whole lot of luck. It involves killing multiple waves - which is fun - but requires that every enemy dies from you killing them - and there is a lot of scope for the bigger ones accidentally killing the smaller ones. That means it can get frustrating, if you get to a late round, then a big guy just stomps on a little one, screwing it up. 

All good, thanks mate! This is the one I keep hearing about and saw a thread titled "this trophy can go f*ck itself" to which everyone agreed ? 

Also being a DLC, I don’t trust those rarity percentages.

3 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

So, I did the trials quite a while ago

There is at least 1 that is a sort of ‘randomly checkpointing timetrial’ and that one is difficult in the pure, Mirrors Edge style, one-failure and you’re fucked kind of way - so just practice practice practice.

Aside from those two though, most are in the kind of Bioshock-Trials, puzzle style, and fairly manageable. Theres also some collectibles across all challenges, which are pretty tough to find, but obviously a guide will negate that if used.

Nothing is insurmountable though - and nothing in comparison to some stuff you have done in other games, so I think you’ll have fun!

Quite a detailed/helpful response given it’s been 7 years! Sorry dude, I only just saw how long ago it was ?

Having fun is all that matters when it comes to these tasks. I've heard great things about the main game, but it's usually from people that have no interest in this DLC, and while I enjoy challenges, I’m not particularly good at them. I just have the more “fortunate” side to my OCD for refusing to give up when it comes to this stuff. I’m going to struggle with these trials, but at least I know there’ll be some fun to be had along the way ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Devils Reaper said:

Having fun is all that matters when it comes to these tasks. I've heard great things about the main game, but it's usually from people that have no interest in this DLC, and while I enjoy challenges, I’m not particularly good at them. I just have the more “fortunate” side to my OCD for refusing to give up when it comes to this stuff. I’m going to struggle with these trials, but at least I know there’ll be some fun to be had along the way 1f44d.png

Oh, absolutely - as this thread shows, I am a huge fan of Dishonored as a series - and I must say, while the Trials are without a doubt the least interesting of the original game's DLCs (The two story based ones are fan-fucking-tastic - to the extent of sometimes eclipsing the best parts of the main game!)... I still found them pretty fun overall.

I can definitely understand the overwhelming negative reaction to them though...

...they are, without question, wildly off the difficulty curve of everything else the series ever saw - and ask a level of precision and timing that is never asked of the player in the main game.

On the flip side though - do those challenges before the main game?

You will be playing the narrative game like a goddamned GOD, and having that kind of control over Corvo will make playing with the (incredible amount of) different skill combos and out of the box solutions incredibly fun, as the actual controls will be completely second nature after running that gauntlet!

Bear in mind of course - this is me talking....

...you have stuff done on your profile that would make me lie down in a corner and weep - so I will be not at all surprised if I see you load the game up, then six hours later you have the lot of them done, and message me a shoulder shrug and a laughing face - if that happens, you should - I'll be laughing right along with you ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Pork Chop!!!

I was going to dig through the last page and find the specific post to quote, but for ease I'll just use this one. Another set of incredibly interesting scientific results as always!! I meant to stick a post in here the day you dropped the latest batch, but I was running on so little sleep it would have read like someone mistook me for a seal and clubbed me in the head as I was writing. (Although most things I write, probably read like that of course :D

You've really made me want to play This War of Mine now....... Why did you have to go and appeal to the massive film buff in me and mention it was the equivalent of a Lars Von Trier film. I don't mind though. Its funny because before you mentioned him, judging by how you were describing it; I was thinking that the game would probably make me feel like Dancer in the Dark and Breaking the Waves,made me feel. I say made, because I've only watched those once, they are a bit harrowing for repeat viewing, especially Dancer in the Dark which I think you've seen as I'm sure you mentioned it. The fact that video games are starting to tell those sorts of raw, gritty stories is certainly an interesting notion - because why shouldn't they. Video Games afford the opportunity to tell those sorts of stories in an altogether different way too, using tools that film-makers can't. So, yeah I'm sold on This War of Mine

Just please don't compare Super Meat Boy to the work of Akira Kurosawa or anything ? otherwise if you were a real medical practitioner I might show up somewhere with bleeding thumbs screaming

"HOW DOES THIS RELATE TO IKIRU"

and the hypothetical dream DrBloodmoney of this situation would calmly say:

"Well Mr Clarke, it does literally translate as To Live - and you still have yet to finish your no death runs.... So no enlightenment for you"

Actually that dream variant of you sounds like a dick, so hopefully you aren't offended by that haha!! I was clutching at some very vague straws, plus I kind of wanted to mention Kurosawa.... I'll just shuffle off and....... I don't know write a fan fiction Legacy of Kain film directed in the style of Kurosawa.

Right - I'll try and speak less nonsense now!!

I enjoyed your write up of POP: Warrior Within as well, I'm still not sure what I think of that game myself. I'm not the biggest fan of the Prince's "MUUUUUUM -  SHUT UP I'M LISTENING TO LINKIN PARK" phase he went through in that game. Particularly the change in voice actor, the thing is it does kind of work. I might not like it, but I don't think I could really envision Yuri Lowenthal's Prince saying much of the dialogue the darker prince delivers. What do I know though, my favourite Prince of Persia is the Sands of Time (I'm aware it isn't the best, I'm very fond of its quite well crafted simplicity), which I think most people either like the least or just above the cell shaded or weird in between one Forgotten sands.

I enjoyed your take on it though, it is one of those situations where the trophies could potentially diminish your enjoyment  just because you have to play it multiple times, but that doesn't really impact whether or not the game is good, which I think you might have mentioned above. I wasn't Warrior Within's biggest fan when it came out, my opinion of it didn't change too much when I played it again two years ago. but it's still not anywhere near my least favourite Prince of Persia title.

I echo your sentiments too about the changing and evolving place video games seem to finally be getting to now. I'm all for it too. hopefully people outside of the Video Game fan bubble might more and more start to see some artistic value and integrity there, instead of just seeing them as "Murder Simulators" which I've heard a few oldies throw around. The more games we have that sort of break the stereotype in the same way This War of Mine it would seem, the faster that is likely to happen.

As always the science is a thoroughly good read.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Oh, absolutely - as this thread shows, I am a huge fan of Dishonored as a series - and I must say, while the Trials are without a doubt the least interesting of the original game's DLCs (The two story based ones are fan-fucking-tastic - to the extent of sometimes eclipsing the best parts of the main game!)... I still found them pretty fun overall.

I can definitely understand the overwhelming negative reaction to them though...

...they are, without question, wildly off the difficulty curve of everything else the series ever saw - and ask a level of precision and timing that is never asked of the player in the main game.

On the flip side though - do those challenges before the main game?

You will be playing the narrative game like a goddamned GOD, and having that kind of control over Corvo will make playing with the (incredible amount of) different skill combos and out of the box solutions incredibly fun, as the actual controls will be completely second nature after running that gauntlet!

You being such a huge fan and having the ability to express yourself better than anyone on here is what prompted my investigation!

I'll definitely do the challenges first because I always save the best (in my case story/campaign) for last. It's great to hear the others receiving such praise as well! I'm so over DLC's ruining great experiences had within the main game. 

14 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Bear in mind of course - this is me talking....

...you have stuff done on your profile that would make me lie down in a corner and weep - so I will be not at all surprised if I see you load the game up, then six hours later you have the lot of them done, and message me a shoulder shrug and a laughing face - if that happens, you should - I'll be laughing right along with you 1f605.png

Trust me, mate. I was in a corner weeping throughout all that stuff ? So the only message you should expect from me is "F*ck these trials!" because I know they'll give me a hard time ?

This is why enjoying a game is so important to me when tackling bullshit trophies. I don't mind restarting a million times if I'm getting a kick out of the game, and you've given me more than enough to eliminate any fear of this falling into the "Why did i ever start this" pool of regrets - appreciate it ?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

You've really made me want to play This War of Mine now....... Why did you have to go and appeal to the massive film buff in me and mention it was the equivalent of a Lars Von Trier film. I don't mind though. Its funny because before you mentioned him, judging by how you were describing it; I was thinking that the game would probably make me feel like Dancer in the Dark and Breaking the Waves,made me feel. I say made, because I've only watched those once, they are a bit harrowing for repeat viewing, especially Dancer in the Dark which I think you've seen as I'm sure you mentioned it. The fact that video games are starting to tell those sorts of raw, gritty stories is certainly an interesting notion - because why shouldn't they. Video Games afford the opportunity to tell those sorts of stories in an altogether different way too, using tools that film-makers can't. So, yeah I'm sold on This War of Mine

That's great! 

Yeah, there is a certain type of artistic commentary that can only really be done with interactivity - and This War of Mine does it well. It's one thing to have an incredibly poignant moment in a film - that's great, but everyone experiences it at the same time, and in the same way. With something like This War of Mine, everyone will get a similar type of "do or die, awful choice" moment, but for everyone, it will be slightly different, and that what makes the medium so great - we not only get to experience those moments, but discussion about them is more interesting, because everyone moment is more specific and therefore more personal.

It's like big kind of 'twist' 'oh my god' moments in games. They are awesome if they are set in one spot (like the "Would you Kindly?" reveal in Bioshock, or the "remember your brother" moment in Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons - but they are even more effective, I think, if they are able to happen whenever the player happens upon them.

Like the way the player will - at some point - come to understand the depth of the world in The Witness - that moment is mind blowing, but it can happen in like 100 different places, or times or ways for different people. That is incredibly hard to do, but if a dev pulls it off, it's magical.

I enjoyed your write up of POP: Warrior Within as well, I'm still not sure what I think of that game myself. I'm not the biggest fan of the Prince's "MUUUUUUM -  SHUT UP I'M LISTENING TO LINKIN PARK" phase he went through in that game. Particularly the change in voice actor, the thing is it does kind of work. I might not like it, but I don't think I could really envision Yuri Lowenthal's Prince saying much of the dialogue the darker prince delivers. What do I know though, my favourite Prince of Persia is the Sands of Time (I'm aware it isn't the best, I'm very fond of its quite well crafted simplicity), which I think most people either like the least or just above the cell shaded or weird in between one Forgotten sands.

I think I pretty much agree on PoP - it's been a while, but of all the modern ones, I think The Sands of Time remains my favourite - though I do have a soft spot for the 2008 cell-shaded one. It's a decisive one for sure - I can recognise what people disliked about it, but it worked for me.

And yeah, as much as the early 2000s 'Attitude' added a level of 'cringe' to a lot of things (video game protagonists getting too sneery, Jeans getting too baggy, fat white Fred Durst-type guys getting too 'rappy', Rap music getting too Korn-featuring-y / long sleeved T-Shirt getting too 'worn-under-short-sleeved-T-shirts-y')....

... I can't really hold the prevailing trends of the decade against any one game - they were just caught in a sea of Nu-Metal and couldn't quite seem to stop rollin' rollin' rollin' What? rollin' rollin' rollin 'C'Mon... ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Yeah, there is a certain type of artistic commentary that can only really be done with interactivity - and This War of Mine does it well. It's one thing to have an incredibly poignant moment in a film - that's great, but everyone experiences it at the same time, and in the same way. With something like This War of Mine, everyone will get a similar type of "do or die, awful choice" moment, but for everyone, it will be slightly different, and that what makes the medium so great - we not only get to experience those moments, but discussion about them is more interesting, because everyone moment is more specific and therefore more personal.

That's so true, well said! I would try and elaborate on that further, but you pretty much covered it all very eloquently as usual.

I'm sold anyway, I'll add it to the list of things to play in the near future. I had a look just now and I found I already had This War of Mine. That was a pleasant surprise, guessing it was a plus title at some point? Either way I'm looking forward to it. Well as looking forward to it as one can be at the prospect of sitting there agonising over whether to let someone live or die, y'know those things people have to do on a daily basis :D

10 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I think I pretty much agree on PoP - it's been a while, but of all the modern ones, I think The Sands of Time remains my favourite - though I do have a soft spot for the 2008 cell-shaded one. It's a decisive one for sure - I can recognise what people disliked about it, but it worked for me.

And yeah, as much as the early 2000s 'Attitude' added a level of 'cringe' to a lot of things (video game protagonists getting too sneery, Jeans getting too baggy, fat white Fred Durst-type guys getting too 'rappy', Rap music getting too Korn-featuring-y / long sleeved T-Shirt getting too 'worn-under-short-sleeved-T-shirts-y')....

... I can't really hold the prevailing trends of the decade against any one game - they were just caught in a sea of Nu-Metal and couldn't quite seem to stop rollin' rollin' rollin' What? rollin' rollin' rollin 'C'Mon... 

That's really interesting what you said about the 2008 one. I grant you,I wouldn't have ever sought to discredit your opinion on it, I think everyone should always ultimately respect someone's opinion of any particular game.  I'd just be very much in the camp of its not a good game. That is, had I not replayed the Cell-shaded entry last year -  I think I would find myself vehemently denying that it had any sort of artistic worth whatsoever. That at least, used to be my opinion of it. I used to very passionately dislike it. I think you and I have discussed before about having certain "baggage" when it comes to some games and I think my younger self in 2009 when I originally played it just saw it as " not part of the series, therefore it doesn't matter" a stupid and immature opinion to have, because there is a whole host of things to like and enjoy in that game.

When I recently replayed it, I actually found that it had a hell of a lot of charm to it. I think the art style is really well done and it just had the sort of playability that made me not want to put it down. Now I'd probably rate it quite highly in a list of my own favourites in that series. Am I the biggest fan of Nolan North's Prince? No I'm not, but that's just because he's a little bit too vanilla, he just doesn't do much outside of wisecracks and talking about his donkey. I think they create some positives with him in the Epilogue DLC though, that was a genuine step in the right direction. They could have built upon that quite a lot in a sequel. Plus they over-egg the character loses their footing and then has to go "WOAAAAAAAH!" thing that bugs me a little with the Uncharted series. I do wonder if Nolan North has something written into his contract that he has to say "whooooaaaaah whoooaaah, whoaaaah easy, easy, careful" as his characters lose their footing on rocks and ledges.

NuMetal seemed to just infect everything in the early to mid 2000's, myself included. If you scrolled through the iPod sitting on my desk I'm sure you'd find some Korn floating around on there. The Warrior Within Prince though, yes he pretty much epitomises almost every fibre of that very specific mid 2000's media zeitgeist - almost scarily so. You just know, if he was a real person he'd be turning up with a big long black trench coat, black jeans and a band t-shirt and using quotes from the "The Crow" to try and illustrate how deep he is :D

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 1

Hello again, Doc. Now that you have assessed the awesomeness of more games, do you plan to make reviews for the baseline ones? Not that I'm particularly interested in any of them (maybe Mini Ninjas, because I have a really vague memory of playing it back in the day), but your reviews have been really nice to read so far.

Also, y'all can say what you want, but nu metal slaps even to this day. I know I'll sound like a boomer, but I'd rather listen to Linkin Park, Korn and etc. than any of the pop stuff that's out nowadays.

Edited by Eagle
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

NuMetal seemed to just infect everything in the early to mid 2000's, myself included. If you scrolled through the iPod sitting on my desk I'm sure you'd find some Korn floating around on there. The Warrior Within Prince though, yes he pretty much epitomises almost every fibre of that very specific mid 2000's media zeitgeist - almost scarily so. You just know, if he was a real person he'd be turning up with a big long black trench coat, black jeans and a band t-shirt and using quotes from the "The Crow" to try and illustrate how deep he is :D

Haha... wait... :hmm:

when you put it like that - I think I might have gone to school with that guy ?

11 hours ago, BRKs_Eagle said:

Hello again, Doc. Now that you have assessed the awesomeness of more games, do you plan to make reviews for the baseline ones? Not that I'm particularly interested in any of them (maybe Mini Ninjas, because I have a really vague memory of playing it back in the day), but your reviews have been really nice to read so far.

That's not the worst idea actually - it is a little weird that there are no reviews for them now that the list is bigger  -maybe that's something I'll get round to once I (eventually) run out of Sranks to add to the list - along with possibly doing some more fleshed out ones for the early batch ones...

11 hours ago, BRKs_Eagle said:

Also, y'all can say what you want, but nu metal slaps even to this day. I know I'll sound like a boomer, but I'd rather listen to Linkin Park, Korn and etc. than any of the pop stuff that's out nowadays.

Haha, you know - I was just a biscuit too old for Nu-Metal I think - my school days were all Nirvana/ Alice in Chains / The Smashng Pumpkins / Pearl Jam / Pixies type stuff.  

When Fred Durst and his mob came along, that was the stuff we were seeing the younger crew (a few years our juniors) getting into, and - of course - rolling our eyes at - just like every group does when the music starts changing away from the stuff they lost their virginity too (and therefore consider to be the pinnacle of music for all time ?)

• Like 1

@The Devils Reaper (and anyone else!)

One of the latest NoClip docs, is a "making of Dishonoured" (covering both games) and is really good - not too spoiler heavy, and goes into a lot of great stuff -  in particular it has an amazing breakdown of the creation of the Clockwork Mansion level in Dishonoured 2 (best level in any game ever!) - and I cannot imagine anyone watching it and not needing to experience that level for themselves afterwards!

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

@The Devils Reaper (and anyone else!)

One of the latest NoClip docs, is a "making of Dishonoured" (covering both games) and is really good - not too spoiler heavy, and goes into a lot of great stuff -  in particular it has an amazing breakdown of the creation of the Clockwork Mansion level in Dishonoured 2 (best level in any game ever!) - and I cannot imagine anyone watching it and not needing to experience that level for themselves afterwards!

Thanks for posting this my man! This is one of my favourite games of all time. I'll enjoy watching this! Thank you. 

• Like 1

newtestsubjects.jpg

⚛️!!SCIENCE UPDATE!!⚛️

The next 10 (somewhat) randomly selected games to be submitted for scientific analysis shall be:

Firewatch 
Mass Effect 3
Neverending Nightmares
Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones
Proteus
Return of the Obra Dinn
Shape of the World
The Last Campfire
Tomb Raider: Legend
WWE Legends Of WrestleMania

Subjects in RED marked for ❎PRIORITY ASSIGNEMENT

[Care of  @JoesusHCrust , @TimeLordCrow13y & @Copanele ]

Can 'Current Most Awesome' game, Prey, cling to its title once again?

Is last-in-show Kick-Ass: The Game going to have any competition for 'Least Awesome Game' ?

Let's find out!

• Like 3

This'll be interesting. One can never predict where the science will go but I'll be very surprised if Return of the Obra Dinn isn't right in the top 20.

In my opinion, ME3 was the worst of the original series so it will be interesting to see whether objective science agrees with me or not!

Firewatch is a game I've been thinking about playing for a while now so I'll be curious to read the review for that one. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JoesusHCrust said:

This'll be interesting. One can never predict where the science will go but I'll be very surprised if Return of the Obra Dinn isn't right in the top 20.

Return of the Obra Dinn is way better than it has any right to be.  Lucas Pope is a ridiculous human.  How in the world do they make border clerk and insurance adjuster into interesting and compelling video games... the world may never know.  

Edited by Together_Comic
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I did want to quickly say though, on a broad note - big thanks to all the folks who have been following along here

It’s been fun, your reviews are a joy to read. If the request-log isn’t too big, I’d like add another to it: What Remains of Edith Finch

It upsets me that you don’t have any MGS on your profile to review ? At least I can look forward to whenever you begin reviewing the Uncharted series, some real gems there ?

• Like 1