Remasters for ps5

dannyswfc9

4 minutes ago, Keyser Soze said:

if you don't like it, you don't have to play it, there are tons of new original games out every month. 

Precisely, these topics always feel like impatience. We’re not talking about an NES where you could develop a decent cutting-edge game in 6 months. We’re talking about 4 or 5 years plus development time for a truly “PS5-generation” experience and devs have only had that hardware for a little over 2 years so it means new games are currently in three camps:

A: Things like Gran Turismo 7 and the Horizon sequel which have PS4 roots so why not just stay there given it’s where 90% of the audience is and do an improved PS5 release.

B: Ground-up PS5 games which are going to be roughly 3 years away so why not remaster your old game(s) to keep the money coming in and placate the audience?

C: You rush out a low-quality game/side project like Returnal or Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart because PS5 owners are more likely to jump on those if they’re exclusives to justify their purchase.

21 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

So if these remasters give me an excuse to go back and re-play some games that I KNOW I like with some new content and a fresh coat of paint, versus trying a bunch of new games/genres that I historically haven't cared about very much... I guess I'm okay with that.

This sums up my feelings with remasters and ports these days very well. They say devs are risk averse and churning out remasters because they are safe but the older I'm getting I'm finding they are safer for me too tbh. Like a lot of people here gaming time is pretty limited for me these days with a young family etc. Come November am I going to be using my 1-2 hours a day to play something brand new I MIGHT like or am I gonna be playing Skyrim for the 3rd time that I KNOW I like?

Its gonna be Skyrim and I'm more than okay with that 

Edited by Cleggworth
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, ExHaseo said:

Is this thread just destined to pop up at the start of every generation now? When the PS3 was out, people were complaining about all the remasters. When the PS4 came out, people complained about the remasters. And now here we are again, the PS5 is out, and people are complaining about the remasters.

I don't think that was the case with PS3. The console had a horrendously slow start and Sony was charging $599 for it in 2006 dollars. Adjust that for inflation in 2021 dollars, that's a lot of money you paid for that console back then.

The console over time had two different releases of the PS3 Slim, with each one being an improvement over the last. The OG PS3 had problems with yellow light of death, pretty comparable to how unreliable the old Xbox 360s were with the red ring of death.

Most of the remasters we want are already here, the choice is up to us. People have been clamoring for a remaster of the original Assassin's Creed for so long now, but Ubisoft isn't willing to budge. I think they'd rather just forget that game exists. It aged horribly.

Edited by AJ_Radio
Made some changes

I'll agree that remastering games from PS3/PS4 era feels a bit too early for me.

There's plenty of excellent (older) games, to remaster / revitalize / remaster before doing those.

Just to cite a few, Onimusha, Power Stone, Breath of Fire, and pretty much all Squaresoft era games.

That's also why I never rush/buy Playstation hardware on/around release, they always bloom with time.

A clearer split between PS4 and PS5 games would have been nice imo, some PS4 games I've been holding onto now are being re released on PS5.

I'm kinda hesitating on what platform to play on.

21 hours ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

Also it simply isn't true there's less remasters/ports this gen. I mentioned it in another similar thread, but there's something like 35 remasters/ports on PS5 currently or coming out soon (e.g. before the PS5 hits 1 year old). That's not including games that have released on both PS4 and PS5 simultaneously, only games that have later received ports or "director's cuts" or whatever on PS5. I think that's actually significantly more than we've seen in previous gens, especially in such a short time frame, but I could be wrong… 

…I definitely would like to see more ports/remasters/remakes of games stuck on older systems as well though (PS2 and older).

That number is telling. I didn’t realize it was so many but when you count it up it’s kinda crazy. Just a theory but one possible reason there might be more this gen over others is it’s easier to do. Companies have more experience doing it plus technology is better/more streamlined. Easier to do, so easy money. That’s hard to turn down. The newer games are no doubt easier to remaster. A tougher task but far more rewarding result for fans would be games that have not been revisited in a long time or ever. The first two I always think of are Bully and Manhunt but there are far too many others.

I’m 50/50 on remasters. There seems to be a tad bit too many but on the other hand, if it’s the right game, I’m excited, can’t help myself, and am a complete sucker for it. I noticed I tend to agree with pretty much every one of your comments in threads. Talking about physical versions, you mentioned Ghost of Tsushima. It takes a special case like that for me to rebuy the PS5 physical (even if it’s unnecessary). Another one would be BioShock Trilogy if that were to re-release yet again. Certain ones high up on the list will get me every time.

1 hour ago, NMErickson said:

Just a theory but one possible reason there might be more this gen over others is it’s easier to do. Companies have more experience doing it plus technology is better/more streamlined. Easier to do, so easy money. That’s hard to turn down. The newer games are no doubt easier to remaster.

Its not even in the same ballpark in terms of effort. A PS3 to PS4 game was actually ported, meaning all new code base, testing, etc. PS4 to PS5, isn’t even porting. It’s the same code base. PS4 code literally runs as-is on PS5. Add some new libraries and implement a few new functions and it’s a remastered PS5 title. It’s more akin to a patch than a port. 

2 hours ago, NMErickson said:

That number is telling. I didn’t realize it was so many but when you count it up it’s kinda crazy. Just a theory but one possible reason there might be more this gen over others is it’s easier to do. Companies have more experience doing it plus technology is better/more streamlined. Easier to do, so easy money. That’s hard to turn down. The newer games are no doubt easier to remaster. A tougher task but far more rewarding result for fans would be games that have not been revisited in a long time or ever. The first two I always think of are Bully and Manhunt but there are far too many others.

I’m 50/50 on remasters. There seems to be a tad bit too many but on the other hand, if it’s the right game, I’m excited, can’t help myself, and am a complete sucker for it. I noticed I tend to agree with pretty much every one of your comments in threads. Talking about physical versions, you mentioned Ghost of Tsushima. It takes a special case like that for me to rebuy the PS5 physical (even if it’s unnecessary). Another one would be BioShock Trilogy if that were to re-release yet again. Certain ones high up on the list will get me every time.

They're likely very easy to port/remaster, given the PS5 is not too drastically different from the PS4. I do expect these ports to start dwindling as time goes on, but it's still the first year of the PS5 and there's plenty of people that missed out on these games last gen or are fairly new to PlayStation in general, which is probably where a lot of these ports are making money.

I'm the same on remasters, I haven't really cared much about any of the ports/remasters on PS5 unless they have new content I'm interested in. I can't say there's really been anything I feel I've missed out on on PS4, I've yet to get around to a lot of my games, but at least many of the games I haven't played yet that have gotten PS5 ports also have free upgrades.

I'd be more than happy to see more remakes and remasters/ports of much older games, but as you said, that takes more effort. And sadly sometimes they outsource those to studios who kinda butcher it, like the Silent Hill remasters on PS3, or Nocturne having issues on PS4 (which wasn't even outsourced I don't think).

I'll definitely be rebuying Ghost of Tsushima at some point on PS5 physically, but I'm waiting for a price drop. I already bought it full price when it initially launched on PS4, I'm not paying £60 for it again when I'm not even going to play it any time soon. I also plan on rebuying Death Stranding on PS5, but other than that, I can't see myself rebuying much else unless it's another director's cut with new content.

Edited by SuperSmexy500

22 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

he only "remaster" I have played is Demon's Souls

That was definitely not a remaster it is a full on remake, i am guessing you knew that due to the quotes.

As for Legend of Dragoon as much as I would love a remake i know that in todays climate they would screw it up big time.

On 8/20/2021 at 11:19 AM, dannyswfc9 said:

Is anybody else sick of all these remasters.

The ps5s first birthday isnt too far away and i must say im very dissapointed with the lack of ps5 games and im currently playing my ps4 games on tge ps5

I cant remember there being so many remasters during the first year of the ps4. 

You can dress it up as much as you want and put directers cut or ultimate edition after the title of the game but there still the same game as most of ps4 players have played before.

Does sony and other companys care about their customers or are they just in it for the money.

On a upside 2022 is looking pretty tasty.

Ive got my tin hat on and ready for some stick but just how i feel

I mean, it makes sense, right? A dev/pub would be foolish to let out big ticket items when PS5s still aren't in gamer's hands. Remasters cost little, and will hold their (smaller) value for years to come.

9 minutes ago, Void said:

As for Legend of Dragoon as much as I would love a remake i know that in todays climate they would screw it up big time.

Pfft. I'd say they screwed that piece of crap up back in the day. Maybe two wrongs would make a right.

Edited by starcrunch061

22 hours ago, sepheroithisgod said:

I think the top remasters I want for PS5 are:

1) The Legend of Dragoon

2) Resistance Fall of Man

3) Infamous

We've gotten enough new inFamous content from last gen, so I'd personally replace it with Folklore. Otherwise, Resistance (especially 2 with the co-op) and LoD are god-tier suggestions for remakes. There's still a flimsy rumor going about that Bluepoint has LoD in the pipeline; fingers crossed.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Helyx said:

We've gotten enough new inFamous content from last gen, so I'd personally replace it with Folklore. Otherwise, Resistance (especially 2 with the co-op) and LoD are god-tier suggestions for remakes. There's still a flimsy rumor going about that Bluepoint has LoD in the pipeline; fingers crossed.

Bluepoint are insanely busy based on the rumour mill. In just the past 6 months I’ve read they’re also working on:

- Metal Gear Solid 1 Remake.

- Bloodborne remaster.

- A Silent Hill project.

- Vagrant Story remade as a Souls-like.

I’m tempted to start my own rumour that they’re doing a Ridge Racer Type 4 remake in 4K with ray tracing for Namco just to dream of that game and get in on the fun.

On 8/21/2021 at 0:23 PM, Keyser Soze said:

if you don't like it, you don't have to play it, there are tons of new original games out every month. 

Tyler, The Creator - So that was a fucking lie - YouTube

-Demons Souls Remaster (depending on if we even want to count that)

-Godfall (which ended up being a false true exclusive)

-Destruction AllStars

-Returnal

-Ratchet & Clank RA

Those are all the exclusives that came out the first year of the consoles release and no more are coming for the rest of the year unless you want to count the timed exclusive Deathloop.

For the rest of the year at least 84 ports/multiplats are being released in North America.

Edited by mcnichoj

I don't mind if it's a remake or an remaster, I personally brought Marvel Spider-Man ultimate edition with the intention of replaying marvel Spider-Man with the updated graphics. I love the game and it's worth replaying. I recently played the remake of ratchet & clank, I never played any ratchet & clank before, then I tried out rift apart and I loved it. It introduce me to a game, I never thought it was worth trying.

If a remake or remaster introduced new players to the game, I am all for it. Heck I loved the fact they remade Alex the Kidd in miracle world & wonder boy: the dragons trap, while I played the ps4 version, they were two games worth playing. I haven't played Alex the Kidd in 35 years, now it's available on the ps4 & ps5, wish I played the ps5 version, but having to wait 35 years for a remake, compared to marvel spider-man 3 years wait for a remaster, who am I to complain. As we are still in a pandemic, not many new games coming out and the ps5 being hard to get hold of, I can understand it may be easier to make some money with titles they know will sell.

As a person that didn't had much time with a Ps4, remasters for the PS5 are a great thing!
I haven't played The last of us when it originally launched on the Ps3, but i played the Ps4 remaster and loved it! If it wans't for the Remaster, i would be unable to enjoy the story to its fullest.

I currently have the Spider-man remaster and Miles Morales on my sights of my next game to buy. I know that i could play the Ps4 version but it's a lot cheaper to get the Miles Morales + Original remastered (At least, in my country). And then i want to buy Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut ( I think that's the name...? You know which version i'm talking about xD)

Thinking about it, i think that we need some PS3 classics remastered. I talked recently to a friend how much i wanted to see Killzone 3 remastered on the Ps5, or even remade on a better engine and stuff.

So no, remasters aren't a bad thing at all! Remakes could be troublesome, as we have EXCELENT examples such as Demon's Souls, and absolute trash such as XIII Remake

• Like 1

On 8/22/2021 at 6:24 PM, mcnichoj said:

Tyler, The Creator - So that was a fucking lie - YouTube

-Demons Souls Remaster (depending on if we even want to count that)

-Godfall (which ended up being a false true exclusive)

-Destruction AllStars

-Returnal

-Ratchet & Clank RA

Those are all the exclusives that came out the first year of the consoles release and no more are coming for the rest of the year unless you want to count the timed exclusive Deathloop.

For the rest of the year at least 84 ports/multiplats are being released in North America.

In his defense, he didn't say exclusives.  He just said original games.  Resident Evil Village, Outriders, Scarlet Nexus, any number of indies... that kinda stuff.

Another thing that I think people forget with this generation... is that the PS4/Xbox One gen was really the rise of MMO's and live service games.  While people do still want new games, they also are more inclined than ever to just play the same games for weeks, months and years if the content and replayability is there.  Even single player games.  So a heavy focus on new content for existing games and porting said games over... while a bit unprecedented compared to PS2 to PS3, and PS3 to PS4... shouldn't be totally unexpected.

Edited by Dreakon13

• 2 weeks later...