The worst collectibles trophy you've gone for

AJ_Radio

I've had some annoying collectibles trophies in my plat runs of the last couple years, but generally I find the "cruise around the open world/replay past chapters for 100%" to be a relaxing and even fun affair...

...but Tech Collector was not that. It's one thing for collectibles to be hidden or even easily-missable; it's another for them to just glitch out of existence at random and force multiple playthroughs just to hope that they spawn again. Only saving grace was the chapter select at least telling players what percentage of the tech orbs they'd gotten in each chapter, but that didn't stop it from being aggravating as hell in the chase sections. Even more than the framerate, this was my biggest issue with what was otherwise an enjoyable game.

49Lcdb22f.png

On 3/19/2022 at 7:24 PM, Killbomb said:

One that stands out to me is Darksiders 2. Had to keep track of my progress using a text file on my phone. Very tedious...

Love that game to death...but every single time I've done a playthrough from scratch, I've had to use GamesRadar's comprehensive collectibles guide just to find everything, because holy shit.

• Like 2

Almost everything you have to do for Record Keeper and especially Synthesis Master in Kingdom Hearts is annoying. Gummi Ship Collector was also slightly annoying, but I honestly didn’t have nearly as much issue with it as I did with the two above. I hate trophies that rely on RNG almost as much as I loathe multiplayer trophies. I swear I wouldn’t have bothered to platinum this game if I hadn’t made a personal challenge to myself to do so-just to prove to myself that I could. I played the PS2 version ages ago and nearly rage quit so many times over several bosses-I did beat the main game but didn’t come remotely close to doing everything in it. At least the PS4 version has skippable cutscenes and other small QOL improvements. 

Also nearly gave up on Grand Collector in Trine: Ultimate Edition because I was missing one pickup in my least favorite level (The Iron Forge level) and had to re-run it four or five times before I finally found it.

Had a very boring time with the many collectible-related trophies in Kona as well. Between the frequent & slow loading, the 10-20 second long freezes every minute or so I encountered when using the snowmobile (quickest & easiest way to get around), and the fact I got most of the collectibles at night (hard to see anything), it was a slog. 

Honorable Mention to Item Mania in Nights of Azure for, again, RNG BS, but at least it required next to no effort to farm the last few needed items and didn’t take too long (maybe I got lucky).

It’s also great to see how much more collectible BS I have ahead of me, lol. Hoping to get the platinums for Enslaved: Odyssey to the West and White Day: A Labyrinth Named School (eventually-the White Day platinum is intimidating). Also have Tomb Raider: Underworld (don’t mind collectibles in the older TR games at all, but the possibility of them glitching worries me), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne, and the other three Trine games in my backlog, among others. 

Edited by TimeLordCrow13y
  • Like 2

On 15/03/2022 at 4:22 AM, AJ_Radio said:

For me, it is this one from Trine 2: Complete Story.

I've been reading about Trine 1 and 2 PS4 versions being more difficult than its PS3 counterpart and this is making me slightly anxious as the Trine Quadrilogy is what I'll be playing next.  I don't really remember having difficulty when I played the original vesions so there must be some kind of adjustments made to the newer versions?

I've had to replay some levels multiple times because it is extremely easy to overlook an area and therefore miss the pickups.  These pickups make the feathers from Assassin's Creed II, the blast shards from inFamous 1, the orbs from Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, and the pigeons from Grand Theft Auto IV a cakewalk in comparison.

You had to mention these! Reason why I avoided ACII was because of the frustration players were talking about these feathers and the same goes for GTAIV's pigeons - well this and AWP glitching and Fly The Coop of course.

As for the blast shards from inFamous 1, I kinda enjoyed those and the challenges they posed.  It felt like a mini-puzzle and in most cases I didn't use any guide or video in getting those. Probably because I started with inFamous 2 and the euphoria I've had for having completed that game plus the excitement for finally playing inFamous 1 may have sort of cushioned/dampened any frustration that the OG game may have posed.

For Enslaved: OTTW, avoided this game before because of these 1,600+ orbs in which a few are said to glitch... BUT I'm planning to play this very very soon since the GOTY (with the DLC) is still available to purchase at the US PSN store for as little as US$15.  It can't be as frustrating as the game I'm about to mention below.

----------

I'm not really hating the game OKAMI, in fact I'm quite enjoying it.  But the frustration of having to go back and forth for so so sooooo many collectibles is starting to push me at the end of my tether.  To get the platinum we must finish it by discovering nearly everything in the game because of trophies that require us to collect praise to upgrade stuff - something similar to the blast shards of inFamous and Trine's EXP vials - you need praise to fully upgrade Ammy's gauges for Solar Energy (HP), Ink Pot (MP), Astral Pouch (Extra Lives) and Purse (Wallet) for one trophy making activities in the whole game unskippable or mandatory, else we'll fall short and still end up having a terrible grind in the end.

Stray Beads is akin to Enslaved: OTTW's Tech Orbs, though we only have to collect 100 and not 1,600+ a lot fo them are tied-up to missions and for defeating enemies including a series of dungeon-style trials.  Not to mention encountering these beads (a few from NPCs that will give them) at the start of the game but still having to wait much much later (and in some cases at the near end of the game) to get the upgrades needed to reach them.

Animals, though NOT really necessary to discover them 100% for a trophy would still require us to find them all for the praise points needed for upgrades and quite a handful of them are very well hidden in the most obscured of all places, some are on hard to reach places accessible only with specific upgrades which are only available later in the game.  The exact same thing can be said with the Clovers collectibles, no trophy tied-up with them but we're forced to look for all of them to get praise points.

Fighting all Enemies including the optinal ones because of a trophy not that they're very hard to beat, just requiring us to scour all areas to defeat them.  The same can also be said with the Sun Fragments, Treasure, Brush Skills, Fishing and Travel Guides (story documents basically) which have trophies that forces us to find/collect them all.  We need to go back and forth in areas at certain points to before we can have access to some of them - all tied up with upgrades. 

Spoiler

On the other hand I can't find fault towards the developers for making the game the way it is.  It's a BIG game if we compare this to what is currently being offered today in terms of the game's content included on day one.  If this was a 2022 release I'm pretty sure the greedy publishers would have chopped this game into bits and offer the other parts (locations) in a Season Pass to charge us more.  This game being FREE once with a PS Plus subscription on the PS3 (April 2013 if I'm not mistaken) and currently being sold for £15.99 or US$19.99 on the PS4 is still very much relevant (in my opinion) in an era of the 4K/60fps generation of consoles.  Despite a huge timesink needed to invest in the game and the said plethora of collectibles, I'd say it's still a fairly manageable game to platinum provided we have a checklist (this is a must or else you'll get stumped and miss quite a few collectibles and the platinum) in hand while playing the game. 

Edited by Eispan
  • Like 2

RAGE 2 spy drones are quite easily the worst I've encountered. RNG collectibles that fly away if you miss them. I would've said Returnal based on the time taken but at least the gameplay loop was fun. Rage 2 was just a painful mess to get through on the PS4. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/21/2022 at 8:37 PM, Eispan said:

I've been reading about Trine 1 and 2 PS4 versions being more difficult than its PS3 counterpart and this is making me slightly anxious as the Trine Quadrilogy is what I'll be playing next.  I don't really remember having difficulty when I played the original vesions so there must be some kind of adjustments made to the newer versions?

Trine 1 runs a lot better on the PS4, and is overall more enjoyable. There is some jank on the PS3 version, and the lower framerate doesn’t help.

Trine 2: Complete Story is easily the most difficult of the Trine series. I highly recommend watching YouTube guides for all the collectibles in the game. Even then, you’re likely to miss a couple collectibles. 

On 3/21/2022 at 8:37 PM, Eispan said:

You had to mention these! Reason why I avoided ACII was because of the frustration players were talking about these feathers and the same goes for GTAIV's pigeons - well this and AWP glitching and Fly The Coop of course.

As for the blast shards from inFamous 1, I kinda enjoyed those and the challenges they posed.  It felt like a mini-puzzle and in most cases I didn't use any guide or video in getting those. Probably because I started with inFamous 2 and the euphoria I've had for having completed that game plus the excitement for finally playing inFamous 1 may have sort of cushioned/dampened any frustration that the OG game may have posed.

For Enslaved: OTTW, avoided this game before because of these 1,600+ orbs in which a few are said to glitch... BUT I'm planning to play this very very soon since the GOTY (with the DLC) is still available to purchase at the US PSN store for as little as US$15.  It can't be as frustrating as the game I'm about to mention below.

Those feathers in Assassin’s Creed II are nothing compared to the blast shards in inFamous 1 and those tech orbs in Enslaved: Odyssey to the West. 

I played the GOTY version of Enslaved: Odyssey to the West which automatically came with the DLC. The DLC collectibles aren’t anything too bad, it’s the damn tech orbs in the base game. Again, like with Trine 2, watch a YouTube guide for those collectibles. There is a glitched orb in Chapter 9, although I didn’t run into it, might be because I was on the deluxe version. Have fun with Chapter 5, has the biggest open world area in the game.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 1

On 5.5.2022 at 2:18 AM, Spork_the_BOAT said:

Anthem.. god I hated Anthem. I don't even know why I forced myself through it.

I gotta second this. While I really enjoyed Anthem to be honest, the collectible requirements didn't make any sense to me at all. Like I don't mind collectibles in open world games, but what were they thinking. I remember flying between the same spots over and over to collect some stupid explorer notes or something. Worst collectible trophy I can think of right now.

• Like 1

FFXIII- Treasure Hunter- Involves getting all items, and as with these there's always going to be a some with a 0.1% drop or something. I spend hours trying to farm trapezohedrons to make the 3rd tier weapons, I got frustrated and ended up only getting 2 I think, and made weapons and dismantled them to reuse to make the other weapons. I also dismantled genji gloves, so only Lightning and Hope had their 3rd tier weapons in the end. 

Tales of Vesperia- 100% in...... everything.... all items/weapons for collectors book, all titles, all monsters... and many many missables. This took 120 hours total to get the platinum. I remember there were some missable enemies and also two swords that could only be stolen from Gauche and Droite, and if you failed to steal at least one (as you can make the other from one) you needed another playthrough.

Tales of Berseria, open all Katz chests. The amount of hours needed to be spent farming Katz spirits is insane. It was good that there was a farming method although it was RNG based and took a long time, plus it was extremely boring. 

FF12 TZA- Complete the Bestiary- not exactly hard but some of the monsters had such specific requirements to spawn so it was time consuming. It was easier than the above mentioned, but one trophy I remember taking ages to do. 

Persona 4 Golden- Read all books. There was one particular book that needed hours of farming. You needed to complete a quest and the items needed were from such a rare monster that hardly showed up, I remember spending a good few hours at this. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Lava_Yuki said:

FFXIII- Treasure Hunter- Involves getting all items, and as with these there's always going to be a some with a 0.1% drop or something. I spend hours trying to farm trapezohedrons to make the 3rd tier weapons, I got frustrated and ended up only getting 2 I think, and made weapons and dismantled them to reuse to make the other weapons. I also dismantled genji gloves, so only Lightning and Hope had their 3rd tier weapons in the end.

My profile doesn't show it, but I love the old Final Fantasy titles. This was the first FF game to get trophy support if my memory is correct. I played this on the Xbox 360, wasn't a huge fan of it. RNG is a thing though. Treasure Hunter is usually the last trophy/achievement people get.

9 hours ago, Lava_Yuki said:

Persona 4 Golden- Read all books. There was one particular book that needed hours of farming. You needed to complete a quest and the items needed were from such a rare monster that hardly showed up, I remember spending a good few hours at this. 

I want to play this so badly, but this game costs a fortune to get physically. This is one of those must play Vita games.

22 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Mine was probably trying to collect all the crystals in Agents of Mayhem. No in-game way to keep track of which ones you'd gotten or where they are except a short range scan. Spent hours looking for the last crystal just scanning constantly.

It is the absolute worst when you have just 1 collectible left. I've been there too many times.

• Like 3

On 3/15/2022 at 1:38 PM, AJ_Radio said:

Arkham Knight's Riddler trophies is worse... actually. Assassin's Creed Origins wasn't too bad. But I completely gave up on Odyssey for 100% map completion. Absolute aids, that one.

Ok had to search abit for this one...I will also change my entry from AC Unity to Arkham Knight.

While the chests were horrible, true, at least in AC Unity you weren't forced to: Find the green grunt and beat him down -> find riddle -> bring car -> do some stupid tracking -> blow up wall ->get out of the car -> get riddle -> move to next riddle -> use car to power winch it -> out of the car -> solve puzzle.

The Riddler wins the prize of the most awful villain in Arkham series JUST BECAUSE of these crazy ass riddles and the requirements to unlock them.

• Like 4

I've done them for;

AC - Rogue/Blackflag/Unity/Odyssey 

LA Noire

RDR2

GTAV (twice)

But the worse one by a country mile is Monster Hunter World. Hunting those crowns was the only time in all my years of gaming where I would limit myself to a couple of hours a day to hunt, normal I can slog through it. It's left such a sour taste in my mouth that I just cannot go and do it for Iceborne.

Edited by Silocia
  • Like 1

The Last Guardian

I’m surprised no one’s mentioned this beauty yet. The Last Guardian. Don’t be fooled by the cute bird-dog, this games collectible trophy for listening to all of the hints is by far the most silly thing I’ve done for a trophy. Stand around in a specific spot for minutes to get a hint, it’s like playing the game completely backwards because if you’re moving around trying to figure out where to go, or what to do, you won’t get any. 

Stand still, completely still, and you better make sure it’s the correct spot you’re standing on! :P

Wonderful game, but the trophy list...

• Like 2

On 3/15/2022 at 4:16 PM, da-Noob123 said:

Most of the annoying ones I have done have been mentioned already (AC Unity, Infamous' shards, Witcher 3 Gwent cards) so it took some time to think of ones others have not already said.

Metal Gear Solid V - Collecting all animals, so much time going back and forth between maps and the chopper/ motherbase.

Watchdogs- getting all the soundtracks, last one took a while but thankfully I worked on it throughout my playthrough and not just post-game.

Batman Arkham series - Ok, this might be stretching "collectibles" but "collecting" 3 medals in a seemingly infinite number of challenges is a pain for sure.

I'll add to these.

AC Liberation: The icons for collectibles only appear on the map when you are close to them AND you need to be wearing the corresponding outfit. There are 3 different outfits and each one has it own set of collectibles. ? 

Dark Souls Remastered: This is my first Souls game and there are so many spells, miracles, weapons, etc. that it is becoming a little tedious checking guides for missable ones. Already missed 2 "tail" weapons that I now have to get in NG+. I like the concept of getting a weapon after cutting off an enemy's tail but tying it to a boss that you are just trying to survive against let alone complete a secondary objective is frustrating - especially when the boss is invisible and you can't see what part of them you are hitting!

• Like 1