Sony may be planning to make you pay back your discounts if you are upgrading to new Plus tiers

diskdocx

So what about if you're subscribing to PS+ with codes from retailers instead of buying it on sale from Sony's store? Shopto.net in the UK usually sells yearly subs for like 25% off as a code you redeem, would Sony be able to track that?

Edited by Sergen

5 minutes ago, Sergen said:

So what about if you're subscribing to PS+ with codes from retailers instead of buying it on sale from Sony's store? Shopto.net in the UK usually sells yearly subs for like 25% off as a code you redeem, would Sony be able to track that?

I think that would be counted fully, but if you got the promo cards (15 mo for price of 12), Sony is discounting the credit for the extra 3 months and you'll have to pay those

13 minutes ago, Sergen said:

would Sony be able to track that?

Yes for some cards. If you go to subscription management in the web store it'll show if, at any time in your current subscription, you have used a discounted PS+ promotion

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NewDust said:

Yes for some cards. If you go to subscription management in the web store it'll show if, at any time in your current subscription, you have used a discounted PS+ promotion

Uh oh... I don't think I had any plans to subscribe to this service anyway. Definitely won't if it costs me 25% more to upgrade from my current plan to an upgraded plan as well.

unknown.png

• Like 1

There are a lot of "ifs" in this, I'll have to wait to really find out as people tend to panic over stuff prematurely, PSplus never really oferred anything that really interests me and that will only change if the classics are exclusive to the higher tier subscription, otherwise is a hard pass.

Edited by Sunnyburrito
  • Like 2

Doesn't seem something like that would ever go live. People have years and years of ps plus subscriptions accumulated, they can't expect them to be able to pay all of them on one go... and if not, what?

So in other words, on one side Ps Now subscribers get a free upgrade and on the other Ps Plus subscribers get fucked over...yeah, not buying it. What is the point of proposing a discount to what you offer if next year you will be asking it back?! 

Leave it to Sony to mess this up so bad (assuming this is true, that is). lmao Hopefully they rectify this regardless if it's an oversight/mistake or (and more likely) intentional.

Edited by Zephrese

2 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

Unless something changes, wasn't gonna upgrade until my current sub runs out anyway. 

I was expecting Sony to screw up hard with all of this anyways, so I'm good with waiting things out until they're hopefully resolved for the better. lol

Edited by Zephrese

Just now, Zephrese said:

I was expecting Sony to screw up hard with all of this anyways, so I'm good with waiting things out until they're hopefully resolved. lol

I have 2 1/2 more years and the extra stuff currently isn't enough...maybe by then, it will.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Helyx said:

If this is how they "reward" members for extended subscriptions, expect the number of subscribers to drop.

Lol, how they guna drop? The people are locked in! Haha

I can see the upgrade part being intentional, with Sony laughing at all those people who stacked like mad before the service debuted, but I can't see the discount part being intentional. That part is the same as stealing. 

It's all messed up and if the upgrade part was always the plan, Sony should have made that clear when they revealed the upgrade path was even a thing. 

This is also stated in their main FAQS: "When the new PlayStation Plus membership plans launch, you will be able to upgrade to a plan with more features and benefits. When you upgrade you will be charged a pro-rated fee to level up the remaining time on your existing membership to the desired level. For example, if you purchased a 12-month membership five months ago and have seven months left, you will need to pay a pro-rated upgrade fee to upgrade your remaining seven months to the desired plan level. Then on your next payment date, you will be charged for the standard price of the membership plan level that you upgraded to at your current payment frequency."

So yeah if you stacked only PS Plus, which transitions to PS Plus Essential, and not PS Now, which from everywhere I see will transition to the PS Plus Premium, and wanted to upgrade, you gotta pay the difference up to how much time you have left on your current sub. Those who were being transitioned to PS Premium for having PS Now already should be fine.

Its true,  people talking about this since yesterday and lots of them getting angry.  Some of the old users have subscribed for 6-10 years, and they have to repay a full price to upgrade their plans. The highest prices i read is about 800usd to 1200usd.  As I see lots of user dont want to pay for the full price for few years upgrade and going to buy a xbox for xgp,  or they wont continue to sub any plus plans after expired.  Well thats Sony,  you wont know what the ceo thinking,  more old users rage quit for this. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DXBuster said:

This is also stated in their main FAQS: "When the new PlayStation Plus membership plans launch, you will be able to upgrade to a plan with more features and benefits. When you upgrade you will be charged a pro-rated fee to level up the remaining time on your existing membership to the desired level. For example, if you purchased a 12-month membership five months ago and have seven months left, you will need to pay a pro-rated upgrade fee to upgrade your remaining seven months to the desired plan level. Then on your next payment date, you will be charged for the standard price of the membership plan level that you upgraded to at your current payment frequency."

So yeah if you stacked only PS Plus, which transitions to PS Plus Essential, and not PS Now, which from everywhere I see will transition to the PS Plus Premium, and wanted to upgrade, you gotta pay the difference up to how much time you have left on your current sub. Those who were being transitioned to PS Premium for having PS Now already should be fine.

The FAQ in Asian regions is worded differently and explicitly states you need to pay the difference of what you've already paid.

"To upgrade your membership plan to PlayStation Plus Extra or Deluxe, you just need to purchase a membership at that level. You will pay a pro-rated fee to bring your payments to the level of your new plan for the remainder of the paid membership period."

Compared to this, the EU/NA FAQ to me sounds like you'd need to pay the difference of the time remaining, not the difference of what you've already paid.

17 hours ago, Sagaan said:

Rip to ppl who stacked ps now for 5 years around XD, i was right to not do it.

People with PS Now don't need to upgrade since they'll already be Premium.

16 hours ago, Lordguwa said:

if they pull that in the US and have to pay the extra 20$ to upgrade. i'll wait till the last minute and then upgrade to premium next year.

You can add a different plan to the end of your subscription without converting your current time. It's just you can't convert a portion of your remaining subscription. So you don't necessarily need to wait if that's your plan.

"You can purchase a new membership that will start when your existing plan ends – so if you’re eligible for an unmissable deal on a PlayStation Plus membership, you can take advantage of the special price and keep your membership active for longer. The new membership period will begin as soon as your current plan ends."

Edited by Stevieboy
clean up