Sony may be planning to make you pay back your discounts if you are upgrading to new Plus tiers

diskdocx

I imagine this could cause enough of a uproar for them to actually listen though to be fair.

26 minutes ago, Facas said:

This does not seems to fit well in the European union consumers law. I can be wrong, but if not......

I'm not sure on laws but this has to fall foul of at least one country's laws, surely.

As far as I know you can't stack discounted ps plus as those were available to non plus user once. I read somewhere else that they were forcing to pay for upgrading your account for the whole duration of the stacked suscription at once and not something like paying the difference for only 1 year.

Maybe I’m just stupid, but the FAQs read to me as if you have a PS Plus subscription and want to upgrade to a higher tier after they get implemented, you just have to pay whatever the difference is between the tiers, which seems completely reasonable. I’m not sure where people are interpreting paying back discounts from.

I know there’s some drama about stacking being disabled, and this whole thing is just a name change with a few games added to the Now library because nobody was using it, but this seems like a reach

8 hours ago, Milktastrophe said:

The FAQ in Asian regions is worded differently and explicitly states you need to pay the difference of what you've already paid.

"To upgrade your membership plan to PlayStation Plus Extra or Deluxe, you just need to purchase a membership at that level. You will pay a pro-rated fee to bring your payments to the level of your new plan for the remainder of the paid membership period."

Hmm...even worded like this it actually means the same. You will pay a fee for x amount of time you have remaining to the level of the selected plan (basically the difference between both plans for x amount of time) . If that is the case, those with multi years actually either stay on the basic plan, or need to upgrade all the years, can't upgrade just one year (might suck a bit, but would make a lot more sense that whatever is posted here...)

Edited by Rejim

53 minutes ago, Rejim said:

Hmm...even worded like this it actually means the same. You will pay a fee for x amount of time you have remaining to the level of the selected plan (basically the difference between both plans for x amount of time) . If that is the case, those with multi years actually either stay on the basic plan, or need to upgrade all the years, can't upgrade just one year (might suck a bit, but would make a lot more sense that whatever is posted here...)

I wouldn't say so. Suppose you've stacked 2 years discounted (base price of $60) and have made payments of $45 and $30 (total $75). Now you want to immediately upgrade (to base price $100), well to bring up your existing payments to the $100 plan would be $100-$45 + $100-$30 = $125. Total becomes $200, i.e. you've lost the discount.

The other wording specifically about upgrading the time remaining reads to me that you'd pay the difference of the base prices, as the time is valued at $60 regardless of what you paid, so $40 to bring it to the next level. $80 for both years, total becomes $155, i.e. you've kept a discount on the lower tier but no discount on the upgrade itself.

Sony support email reportedly confirms that players have to pay back PS Plus discounts to upgrade

An email which has been posted online seems to confirm earlier reports that players subscribed to PlayStation Plus at a discount may have to pay the discount back to Sony in order to upgrade to PS Plus Extra or Premium.

The revamped PlayStation Plus service launched in much of Asia this week, and is due to roll out in Japan, the Americas, Europe and Australia in June.

It’s since been claimed by some Asian players that anyone who purchased PS Plus subscriptions at a discounted price, including those who chose to stack subscriptions before the option was disabled earlier this month, is being charged extra to upgrade to a different PS Plus tier, wiping out any previous savings they made buying reduced cost memberships.

This appears to be confirmed in an email from PlayStation’s Hong Kong support, which was published on ResetEra and translated by VGC. It reads:

“Thank you for contacting PlayStation Support and checking the price of your PlayStation Plus membership subscription.

“Since you purchased PlayStation Plus at a discounted price at the time of membership, there are two PlayStation Plus memberships that cannot enjoy other discounts:

“1) PlayStation Plus membership bought with a discount.
“2) PlayStation Plus membership redeemed with redemption code.

“Therefore, if you need to upgrade to Level 2 or 3 Premium membership, you will need to make up the difference between the previous discounted price and the normal price.

“For example, a PlayStation Plus membership is HK$308 for one year and the discounted price is HK$187.6. The difference is $120.4, divided by the number of months remaining.

“Please rest assured that the system will automatically calculate the difference that needs to be repaid if you need to upgrade. Of course, you can also upgrade or downgrade your membership according to your preference.

“If you do not upgrade, your current PlayStation Plus membership will not be affected. Please be assured that game offers, free monthly game subscriptions and access to 100G of online storage will remain unchanged.”

VGC has asked Sony for clarification on the matter and will update this story should we receive comment.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/sony-support-email-reportedly-confirms-that-players-have-to-pay-back-ps-plus-discounts-to-upgrade/

9-CE5-DA06-48-B5-4-D83-B786-C6-DD5235698

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ps-subs-bought-on-sale-will-be-charged-higher-upgrade-fees-to-make-up-for-discounts-stacked-subs-must-pay-the-upgrade-fee-for-the-entire-duration.586826/page-23#post-87121037

Edited by ziggypossum
EDIT
  • Like 1

I was kinda hoping for something like a discount for the new service to attract early adopters, Sony really subverted my expectations by somehow doing the exact opposite of that.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TJ_Solo said:

That is one painfully stupid and false article.

Can you elaborate? There is more and more information coming out to support that this is in fact correct, at least for the Asia region. Do you have something to confirm otherwise?

• Like 1

This is what happens when you try to abuse the system via loopholes, haha.

Sony should just take it on the chin for not plugging the hole that is stacking memberships. Nothing illegal was done, though one could argue that people stacking cheaper memberships to circumvent the actual charges knew damn well what they were doing. Nobody was "accidentally" misguided by this. Everyone stacking memberships crossed their fingers hoping Sony wouldn't catch it. In the end, nobody wins in this situation.

Apart from people such as myself, who get a good laugh out of this entire fiasco.

Edited by Alayaes
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Alayaes said:

Sony should just take it on the chin for not plugging the hole that is stacking memberships. Nothing illegal was done, though one could argue that people stacking cheaper memberships to circumvent the actual charges knew damn well what they were doing. Nobody was "accidentally" misguided by this. Everyone stacking memberships crossed their fingers hoping Sony wouldn't catch it. In the end, nobody wins in this situation.

Apart from people such as myself, who get a good laugh out of this entire fiasco.

And here they are opening another loophole called "Days of Play sale" where they are allowing people to buy games with prices under the retail price!!! It's like they never learn! I just hope they remember to charge the difference later when we buy some DLC, otherwise poor Jimmy might go bankrupt...

/s

1 hour ago, Alayaes said:

What loophole? This is for those who stacked PS Plus not PS Now. Plus is available cheap all year and gets a big discount multiple times to £30 or less. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GUDGER666 said:

What loophole? This is for those who stacked PS Plus not PS Now. Plus is available cheap all year and gets a big discount multiple times to £30 or less. 

Help me understand how Sony knows how much you paid for a PS+ card? Or is this only if you used the PSN store to buy it?

I get my discounted cards all year long through third-party retailers. Sony has no idea how much I paid for those, nor is it any of their business.

1 hour ago, Alayaes said:

What? What loophole? I stack PSplus because Sony lets me, every Summer and Winter they do a sale on PSplus and allow me to buy another year on top of what I already own. I knew I would have to pay something to upgrade to the second tier but never at any point did it seem reasonable that they would charge me the discounts that I saved previous, the discount that THEY allowed me to stack.

• Like 2