Do you Buy it NOW or wait for a sale

MikeOrator

On the PS3 and PS4 i always bought the PES series on launch as i loved the series, even though after 1-2 months it always dropped to half price and i knew but didn't mind.

I think i bought MGS phantom pain on launch too but i don't buy games on launch or pre-order anymore (maybe for something special), they usually rush games out now and it needs a few months of patches.

I'm a dedicated tightwad, who almost always waits for a deep discount. I can probably count on one hand how many games I've bought at launch in the last 10 years. Just wish I still had all the money I wasted in my old days of pre-ordering everything. The last game I ever pre-ordered was MGS4 Limited Edition, come to think of it.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I buy way too many games, but I always wait for a big price cut. For at least a couple of years, other than Forbidden West and Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart I simply don't buy a game unless it's 75% off or more or if it's under £5.

Since I've moved to PS+ Premium I've promised myself that I won't buy anything at all until I've completed a good chunk of the games on the service. Already failed there though as I bought the DLC for Moving Out because I enjoyed the base game so much ?

I buy most new releases I'm interested in on launch.

One, if a game is out too long, over time I end up learning too much about it and the experience suffers for it (not even spoilers but just how it plays and an overabundance of unavoidable opinions).  A genuinely fresh experience is hard to come by these days and new releases are one of the few ways to get it.  Not to mention few things are more enjoyable than the anticipation to release day for a new game.

Two, I'm fortunate to be able to afford the handful of new releases I buy every year.

Three, rumors of how broken new releases are have been greatly exaggerated.  Most games release absolutely 100% playable, and patches just make a good experience better.  Just because a game gets a patch doesn't mean it's broken.  I can't blame people for waiting and saving money, but some are trying a little too hard to validate themselves when they use post-release support as an excuse.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

On 5/30/2022 at 3:14 PM, grapetrap said:

I saw a post on the Playstation forums from a guy complaining that all the games he buys for his Playstation are now going to be on PS Plus Extra for free.  He goes on to say that he will never buy a game again as he can wait for it to be released for free on the service.  I am just curious if anybody else feels the same way.  There are lots of games that I can wait forever to play as well.  I do, however, like to play the big tent pole AAA games around the release window with the rest of the community and do not mind spending 60, 70 or even 80 dollars doing thant.   My problem is when there are multiple games coming out around the same time and then have choices.  

What do you guys do?  If you have a Playstation did you play Horizon, Ghostwire and then finally Elden Ring like me.  I didn't pick up Stanger in Paradise or Tiny Tina though. I also get any Far Cry or Assassins Creed games on day one too (don't judge me I know what people think of the Ubisoft game formula) as I just love these games no matter how derivative they are. 

I don't know what my real question is but just wanted to get some thoughts on Do you Buy NOW or wait for a sale?

PS:

If there is already a similar topic started that I missed I can delete this one and weigh in on the original thread.

After the horror stories of past few years of games that were messy...or worse... around release (Cyberpunk, Fallout 76, Middle Earth Shadow of War, etc), I'll usually give a game a few weeks even if I really want to buy it straight away. That way if there are release window issues, they have time to get sorted out. That being said, I'm not against buying games I'm enthusiastic about-it supports the companies that make them, and you get the product sooner. I still haven't played Elden Ring yet, but that has more to do with a current logjam of games than anything else. 

i buy everything day one. similar to @DrBloodmoney it shows FULL support to the devs. No game is perfect. They have flaws, devs dont always get chances to delay if investors are demanding a release.

Anyways, i dont always play games i buy day one. Some i collect, others it just depends on IRL commitments as to why i may/may not have started yet. Sometimes the chase is bigger than the prize.

i am fortunate enough to be able to afford the costs. I don't need sales, i don't need to settle for what i want more. if i want it, i just get it.

Lastly, some games may go up in price or be harder to find once theyve been out say a year... i had one hell of a time getting a NEW Xenoblade 2 Torna copy. Managed..Then somehow they got reprinted for X3 so i grabbed a 2nd. When Danganronpa Trilogy also was reprinted i grabbed 2 copies. Not opening them

So yes i buy day one as much as i can for various reasons.

• Like 1

gamefly is so fucking under rated. $15 a month (or less with a code) and i could play all the new games. from march to june, i joined gamefly and for under $60 i played and platinumed: Kena Bridge of Spirits, Drunken Fist, Horizon Forbidden West, Ghostwire Tokyo, Tina Tiny's Wonderland, Sifu, Stranger of Paradise, Elden Ring and Roombo. 9 games, mostly very new. Come october or november, ill reup and play all the new games again like GOW Ragnarok, Callisto Protocol, Dead Space Remake, Resident Evil 4 and many more.

On 5/30/2022 at 0:14 PM, grapetrap said:

I saw a post on the Playstation forums from a guy complaining that all the games he buys for his Playstation are now going to be on PS Plus Extra for free.  He goes on to say that he will never buy a game again as he can wait for it to be released for free on the service.  I am just curious if anybody else feels the same way.  There are lots of games that I can wait forever to play as well.  I do, however, like to play the big tent pole AAA games around the release window with the rest of the community and do not mind spending 60, 70 or even 80 dollars doing thant.   My problem is when there are multiple games coming out around the same time and then have choices.  

What do you guys do?  If you have a Playstation did you play Horizon, Ghostwire and then finally Elden Ring like me.  I didn't pick up Stanger in Paradise or Tiny Tina though. I also get any Far Cry or Assassins Creed games on day one too (don't judge me I know what people think of the Ubisoft game formula) as I just love these games no matter how derivative they are. 

I don't know what my real question is but just wanted to get some thoughts on Do you Buy NOW or wait for a sale?

PS:

If there is already a similar topic started that I missed I can delete this one and weigh in on the original thread.

Probably said a million times but its more a rental service, unlike essential, where you need it for online. Extra is just well extra games??

When you stop subscription, those extra games cant be played, its like going to a rental store and renting games, when you stop paying you got to return the game.

I was hoping to see a even more expensive tier, where you can play all games, even new releases. I mean why not? You can do that with renting and there are still many who still rent physical.

I personally like buying, but only when on sale. I don't mind the waiting, I'm too old to care to be playing new games to be in the hype train.

Rarely buy day one or much of anything now. If I remember right, Ascent was my last day one purchase just because I wanted to support a smaller company for a game that looked cool and good. And it was for the most part, so no loss thankfully! (Plus it’s not $60-70 so didn’t feel as bad paying day one prices on it)

Always wait on sales on stuff.

I’m sort of doing what that guy you mentioned is doing and seeing what’s going on extra now. I have enough to try still, and even though I don’t like AC much, I still get stray and maybe others added to my large Extra backlog now lol.

I've reduced buying games day one mainly due to not agreeing with current pricing, £70 for a base/vanilla game then £80-100 for 'editions' is way too much imo, I'm just not paying that.  I bought R&C Rift Apart at launch for £70 and never again, wasn't worth it, and I've long loved the franchise.  I will buy day one if games are fairly priced, bought Elden Ring, both Nier games, FF VII R, Tsushima, MH, various indies etc..., it's just a pricing issue for me.   Probably worth saying that I am picky about what I buy at launch, I try to judge what should be a trusted quality game, and there are plenty of games I won't day one for a variety of reasons but might pick up on a sale.

There are going to be exceptions though, FFVII Rebirth is likely a day one even if it is base £70, same with the next PS5 Monster Hunter (I know I'm getting value, dropped 8.5k hrs into World/IB) and GoW Ragnarok will test my resolve!   I have noticed a number of games launching with better pricing recently, The Calisto Protocol is probably a day one, £55 base and £75 with the season pass and some fluff...that's decently priced and it's a straight PS5 game.  Same with A Plague Tale sequel, it's £50, and others (hopefully Dead Space remake is reasonably priced) unlike say Forspoken which is wanting £90 for the deluxe with one dlc and fluff, or TLoU re-remaster which is £70 base and £80 for nonsense early unlocks...no chance. 

I upgraded to Premium Plus, it won't have any effect on my purchases, standard Plus never did even though I ended up owning half the offerings.  

It just comes down to trusted quality of games and pricing, Elden Ring is a perfect example, it's a souls game, I know it's going to have a level of quality and it was decently priced at £50 iirc, no problem buying it day one, I certainly wasn't waiting around for sales or a Plus addition.

Edited by Auto-Tomato

I bought Ultra Age last year, but the one before that was Blue Reflection years ago. 

Buying most titles right now at launch or near the release date is not worth it. First of all games in my country had two prices increases, one in 2020 and another last year, and now they are at a price that I think is unreasonable. Second they release so many DLCs, Definitive, Complete, Director's Cut, GOTY, whatever-edition that buying the game before this gives you an incomplete experience. And the third reason is my backlog, I still have enough games for many years to come.

As someone who does not care about hype or playing early, I wait for sales. 

I very rarely play anything on release and end up getting really jealous seeing people on my friends list playing it. And I’m probably not going to let that happen for 

Hogwarts Legacy

God of War

Last of us Remastered

Two point campus

but other than that I wait for sales. The odd time I have bought something that was pretty new, I ended up selling it on after I’d completed it to get my money back, so that’s not too bad. 

I remember finding a copy of the new Ratchet and Clank on PS5 for £30. Finished it stuck it back on an eBay auction and got £50 for it! So that wasn’t too bad. 

But the majority of games I play are old because I missed out on so many, so I usually pick them up in sales.

There was a time when I would buy plenty of games on day one. Especially back on the PS3.

Nowadays, I have too many games sat on my account/console that I haven't even started so I just wait for sales. 

I have upgraded my PS Plus subscription giving me even more games to play.

Even though money isn't the issue here, I find it pointless buying a game on release and just having in sat on my shelf or in my backlog for however long while the price drops. 

• Like 1

May as well start jacking prices high and trick the consumer by putting it on sale to its original price shortly after release xD

Honestly though, the only time I pay full price for a game are the ones that my kids ask for around birthdays/Christmas. I can't remember the last Day One purchase I made (for myself). Being that I have a huge library of unplayed games, from being purchased on sale, there is no need to pay full price. Why pay full price? By the time I use to get around to playing a newer game, there was already a sale going on for it, which I could've said $20.. That adds up fast. .

Edited by OFFICER_OILDAB
Added to
  • Like 1

On 5/30/2022 at 3:14 PM, grapetrap said:

I saw a post on the Playstation forums from a guy complaining that all the games he buys for his Playstation are now going to be on PS Plus Extra for free.  He goes on to say that he will never buy a game again as he can wait for it to be released for free on the service.  I am just curious if anybody else feels the same way.  

That a strange form of buyer's remorse. Everything you buy will eventually go on sale. If you are an early adopter then it is either because you value your time and/or really want that item and can afford it. Then there's the difference between access services like PS Now vs ownership, neither are "free".

I don't buy games on release anymore. I used to but that was ages ago. Long before Plus/Now. My backlog is so huge at this point it's simply irresponsible to do so (I'm fortunate I can afford it but I prefer to invest disposable income). Even if I don't count Plus/Now games I plan to play, my library of games I bought and haven't played yet is already around 100. That's simply too many and buying new games on day one is giving to "oh it's new, I gotta have it" syndrome.

• Like 1

I bought a few games over the weekend for $10 and $20 each and was disappointed at the length of one of them as well as overall enjoyment.  I'm probably going to start hitting the sales more often rather than looking for obscure titles or things I feel like I need to play now.  

Sales or no buy. Ifs a physical game 40% off is fine.

For any digital game. And this is my need to be under a set price. Not just any 1% sale.

60$ must be 70% off or more

50$ must be 60% off or more

40$ must be 45% off or more

30$ must be 40% off or more

20$ must be 30% off or more

10$ must be 25% off or more

Exceptions

If its never been on sale 2 years = 10% lower then the stated %

If it older then 1 years and comes with all DLCs/season pass = 10% lower then the stated % / add 5% per dlc

Exp game has 4 dlc the 4 x 5% = 20% + 10% = 30% less

So 60$ game would only need to be 40% instead of 70%

Ps3/vita only if want to play them next.

If there about to be delisted.

If non of the above is met. It stays ony my wishlist. Got big enough backlog to get too.

LAST full price game got was persona 5 the OG ver

Edited by Zid960
Spelling

• 1 month later...