The all new PlayStation Stars loyalty program (Stars are not NFTs)

The_Kopite

3 minutes ago, shadaik said:

All that proves is that you had access to the disc for a few minutes.

Could have been a used copy, could have been borrowed, or even "borrowed". Sidenote, it doesn't even count if you already bought the game before digitally and just now play it, only a sale during the promotion period counts (I tried that once). Which is completely normal, that is how bonus campaigns have always worked, even in physical stores. Just do the campaigns you can do, that is still 100 points for just firing up one of the Essential and one of the Extra games.

No idea where you got the idea physical games somehow register to Sony's servers. They don't. Only thing they register to is your console. That is why you can buy a used copy and play it no issue, no matter how many people previously owned and played it. And, more importantly, why you can play them offline.

No idea where you're getting the idea that they don't. You put a PS4 or PS5 disc into your console it has to install the game and if at any point you're connected to the internet (which let's face it, is more likely than it's not), your console has officially told Sony's severs you have said game. You have the license, and the trophy list is tied directly to Sony's servers. 

7 minutes ago, Viper said:

No idea where you're getting the idea that they don't. You put a PS4 or PS5 disc into your console it has to install the game and if at any point you're connected to the internet (which let's face it, is more likely than it's not), your console has officially told Sony's severs you have said game. You have the license, and the trophy list is tied directly to Sony's servers. 

Why would Sony care? All you need is the disc, why would they add an extra step like that? Unless you can show me the code, I'll put this into "baseless assumptions".

We do know that is not how trophy lists work because of PS3 and Vita piracy being able to unlock trophies without ever owning the game in question, including digital-only titles. All the system does is send Sony a short message saying "player earned trophy X" and then the servers go "okay, I'll mark that down!"

Now, Microsoft on the other hand tried to implement something like you suggested when they introduced the Xbox One. They got hit so hard by the backlash, they completely scrapped any plans even remotely connected to anything that even suggested that idea ever existed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, shadaik said:

Why would Sony care? All you need is the disc, why would they add an extra step like that? Unless you can show me the code, I'll put this into "baseless assumptions".

We do know that is not how trophy lists work because of PS3 and Vita piracy being able to unlock trophies without ever owning the game in question, including digital-only titles. All the system does is send Sony a short message saying "player earned trophy X" and then the servers go "okay, I'll mark that down!"

Now, Microsoft on the other hand tried to implement something like you suggested when they introduced the Xbox One. They got hit so hard by the backlash, they completely scrapped any plans even remotely connected to anything that even suggested that idea ever existed.

What on Earth are you talking about? 

The question was "how would they be able to track your purchase if you bought the physical disc?". In the HYPOTHETICAL situation that the Monthly Purchases reward was retroactive on the idea that a game listed is something you purchased previously on disc...simply inserting the game you already own, into the console and playing it for a couple seconds (meaning you would need access to said disc), would register the campaign complete...why? Because Sony's servers can SEE THE GAME. Their servers know if you're playing a game on their console...doesn't matter if it's disc or digital, the analytics are tied server side. 

You're over here talking about some DRM...I'm not. I'm simply talking about the fact that Sony knows when you're playing one of their games. This isn't the PS2 days anymore.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Viper said:

The question was "how would they be able to track your purchase if you bought the physical disc?". In the HYPOTHETICAL situation that the Monthly Purchases reward was retroactive on the idea that a game listed is something you purchased previously on disc...simply inserting the game you already own, into the console and playing it for a couple seconds (meaning you would need access to said disc), would register the campaign complete...why? Because Sony's servers can SEE THE GAME. Their servers know if you're playing a game on their console...doesn't matter if it's disc or digital, the analytics are tied server side. 

You're over here talking about some DRM...I'm not. I'm simply talking about the fact that Sony knows when you're playing one of their games. This isn't the PS2 days anymore.

Again, that doesn't mean you've purchased said disc. You can rent it or borrow it from a friend. It sucks, but the person above is right. Sony is trying to promote digital sales through this program. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThatMuttGuy said:

Sony is trying to promote digital sales through this program.

Yes, this is the purpose of the program. A large majority of the campaigns have been from buying games and not playing them. (excluding stuff linked to collectibles or some rare exceptions) Unfortunately, the program is incredibly buggy and inconsistent. I’m still getting something back from buying from them, so I won’t complain too much. For me, this pattern of buying is going to slow down because I’m extremely worried about Sony’s lack of a coherent vision for the future. 

Edited by VoidVictorious

3 hours ago, VoidVictorious said:

Yes, this is the purpose of the program. A large majority of the campaigns have been from buying games and not playing them. (excluding stuff linked to collectibles or some rare exceptions) Unfortunately, the program is incredibly buggy and inconsistent. I’m still getting something back from buying from them, so I won’t complain too much. For me, this pattern of buying is going to slow down because I’m extremely worried about Sony’s lack of a coherent vision for the future. 

6 hours ago, ThatMuttGuy said:

Again, that doesn't mean you've purchased said disc. You can rent it or borrow it from a friend. It sucks, but the person above is right. Sony is trying to promote digital sales through this program. 

7 hours ago, Viper said:

All,

My thoughts are around the idea that every disc is a "unique" key. Meaning, the first time it was registered with the server would then deem it a "new" purchase (previously owned would deem it not a "new unique license"). However, I can see the idea of pushing digital purchases to further promote the fact they want to get away from discs 100% because of "lost" revenue and Sony being greedy (knowing full on well that once it gets so old they have gotten your money and taken your license away which is a total dick move, having discs ensures this never happens). I guess my point is that it would be a nice perk to get those rewards and physical media still be worth something, but it is what it is.

52 minutes ago, Smiddster3 said:

All,

My thoughts are around the idea that every disc is a "unique" key. Meaning, the first time it was registered with the server would then deem it a "new" purchase (previously owned would deem it not a "new unique license"). However, I can see the idea of pushing digital purchases to further promote the fact they want to get away from discs 100% because of "lost" revenue and Sony being greedy (knowing full on well that once it gets so old they have gotten your money and taken your license away which is a total dick move, having discs ensures this never happens). I guess my point is that it would be a nice perk to get those rewards and physical media still be worth something, but it is what it is.

I would simply continue what you’ve been doing. (I’m using the global “you” to refer to everyone) If your actions line up with points or a collectible that is awesome, but I would not fall for the trap that this program sets for you by buying a full 30-40 dollar game digitally or even physically for a ~50 point campaign. As I said, I do buy a lot digitally so I have gotten something back from Sony, but not nearly what I put in financially. You can also opt out of the program completely if you wish. Who knows how long it will be around. As a pro tip, if you were an early adopter to the program, I do believe you must use your points before they expire which for me is pretty soon. 

Edited by VoidVictorious

7 hours ago, ThatMuttGuy said:

We all know what they're trying to promote, that has nothing to do with the question I was answering. Again it was a hypothetical situation that has been blown way out of proportion here. It doesn't matter what has been done with the disc...the simple fact is that it COULD be retroactively used in this case barring you still have it as "proof" to the campaign. I'm well aware of the fact that it's not what Sony is intending...I'm simply pointing out how a previous purchase could still work in this scenario and how it'd be nice if Sony honored it.

4 minutes ago, Viper said:

We all know what they're trying to promote, that has nothing to do with the question I was answering. Again it was a hypothetical situation that has been blown way out of proportion here. It doesn't matter what has been done with the disc...the simple fact is that it COULD be retroactively used in this case barring you still have it as "proof" to the campaign. I'm well aware of the fact that it's not what Sony is intending...I'm simply pointing out how a previous purchase could still work in this scenario and how it'd be nice if Sony honored it.

I’ve dealt with the premium support for PS Stars and it doesn’t matter what proof you provide them. The support members vocally don’t even know what PlayStation Stars is and the live chat is even worse. I understand you were engaged in a hypothetical exercise. 

Edited by VoidVictorious

On 10/10/2023 at 3:48 AM, shadaik said:

Not to derail this but no they didn’t. Their goal is the same, us owning nothing (true of all companies). They just found a way to get people to accept it. GamePass. 

edit; lol naive reply I expected 

Edited by Elvick_

11 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

Not to derail this but no they didn’t. Their goal is the same, us owning nothing (true of all companies). They just found a way to get people to accept it. GamePass. 

No, back on the Xbox One they completely scrapped the idea of having physical copies requiring a new license to play when bought used.

GamePass has no bearing on the viability of your physical copies.

• Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ZEE11W said:

Fight of the club November campaign won’t complete for me. Anyone else have the same issue. 

I only have my hero ultra game out of the four games in the list. Tried it on PS5 nothing. PS4 nothing. 

Same issue. Had a similiar issue with the NBA game last month and it worked at one point.

9 minutes ago, CookieMonsterES said:

If I already own a trophy associated with a Playstation Stars reward on my main PSN account, how do I obtain said Stars reward? Do I have to replay the game to the point where the trophy is awarded to clear the Stars campaign?

Depends on the campaign. Sea of Stars was bugged for most people if they got the first trophy and they had to talk to chat to get it. 

But if you're talking about like Hades or Spider-Man right now, they should automatically pop after a few days if you already had the trophies. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CookieMonsterES said:

If I already own a trophy associated with a Playstation Stars reward on my main PSN account, how do I obtain said Stars reward? Do I have to replay the game to the point where the trophy is awarded to clear the Stars campaign?

It usually says to simply start any game if you already have the trophy, but this month my hades baloon was bugged i already had the trophy but the reward was not working, but yesterday i noticed they added a second identical quest that worked. (I have 2 identical quest now 1 competed and 1 not).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ThatMuttGuy said:

Depends on the campaign. Sea of Stars was bugged for most people if they got the first trophy and they had to talk to chat to get it. 

But if you're talking about like Hades or Spider-Man right now, they should automatically pop after a few days if you already had the trophies. 

4 hours ago, Teh_DDgamez said:

It usually says to simply start any game if you already have the trophy, but this month my hades baloon was bugged i already had the trophy but the reward was not working, but yesterday i noticed they added a second identical quest that worked. (I have 2 identical quest now 1 competed and 1 not).

Thanks for the response, guys.

I was referring to the Elden Ring one (defeating Godrick). I got my trophy back then when the game was released, and I'm not sure how to trigger the corresponding Stars award. I booted the game a couple of days ago and it didn't do it.

And yeah, I was unable to get the Sea of Stars award without the chat assistance. 

On 11/3/2023 at 5:30 AM, ZEE11W said:

Fight of the club November campaign won’t complete for me. Anyone else have the same issue. 

I only have my hero ultra game out of the four games in the list. Tried it on PS5 nothing. PS4 nothing. 

Same issue, same game. I've been trying it each day, but nothing.

Hopefully it gets fixed. I missed out last month, as I had none of the listed fighting games!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PHIL_DADDY1 said:

Same issue, same game. I've been trying it each day, but nothing.

Hopefully it gets fixed. I missed out last month, as I had none of the listed fighting games!

The demo for Street Fighter? worked for me.