Silent Hill 2 Remake (coming possibly 2024)

ziggypossum

8 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Problematic narratives are - unfortunately - ten-a-penny in the industry, just as they are with novels, television, film etc.

Should they be called out when they happen?

Absolutely.

Should you vote your own opinion on them with your own dollars?

Absolutely.

Should the industry do better, and be continually pushed to do better?

Absolutely.

However, holding other consumers personally liable, and maintaining a standard that anyone who plays another game by a developer who has released a game with a problematic narrative in the past is themselves endorsing that narrative wholeheartedly is silly.

To be honest, it would leave precious few games left for people to play 1f602.png

By all means - bang the drum about your objection to the ending of The Medium - I haven't played it, but it sound very much like I'd be in complete agreement with you on it. 

I'll certainly keep banging my own drum about the disgusting narratives of It Takes Two or Concrete Genie...

...but actively judging people for engaging with those games - or future games by the same studios - on that basis feels like a bridge too far, and tilting at windmills. 

I will judge them if they take a hostile approach like the person before and just played plain ignorant. I don't know what disgusting narrative It Takes Two did, me and my girlfriend found it quite charming, but I bet it didn't flat out say that people who suffered through past trauma should sympathize with their abuser and commit suicide when they become burden on the society. 

Edited by Stevieboy

Just now, MarcusPunisher said:

I will judge them if they take a hostile approach like the person before and just played plain ignorant. I don't know what disgusting narrative It Takes Two did, me and my girlfriend found it quite charming, but I bet it didn't flat out say that people who suffered through past trauma should sympathize with their abuser and commit suicide when they become burden on the society.

No, but it did tell children that parents being divorced and happy is worse than parents being miserable and together - and told them the best way to keep their parents together was by running away from home... ?

19 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

No, but it did tell children that parents being divorced and happy is worse than parents being miserable and together - and told them the best way to keep their parents together was by running away from home... 1f602.png

I didn't get that vibe at all. I've seen that as former couple trying to rekindle their past love through a weird adventure and leaving that ending as a bittersweet if they get back together or not. The scene where they tortured that plushy elephant and forced their child to cry was pretty cruel, I will give you that. Still, it didn't outright imply it like the stuff in The Medium. 

Just now, MarcusPunisher said:

I didn't get that vibe at all. I've seen that as former couple trying to rekindle their past love through a weird adventure and leaving that ending as a bittersweet if they get back together or not. The scene where they tortured that plushy elephant and forced their child to cry was pretty cruel, I will give you that. Still, it didn't outright imply it like the stuff in The Medium. 

It 100% did imply it as far as I could tell - both my wife and I were astonished by it... but I suppose that's the point I was originally making.

If you didn't see it that way, or take offence then who am I to judge?  

To me, it felt like an incredibly obvious, offensive and genuinely dangerous message - for you, it didn't, and was just a point in a fiction.

All narrative is subject to the interpretation of the viewer, I guess ? :dunno:

1) I haven't played Silent Hill 2 so it will a new experience for me, the return of Akira Yamaoka in the soundtrack is fantastic.

2) I don't understand all the comments about Blooper Team, better to leave the game speak for itself.

3) I wonder why the remake Silent Hill 1 or even Origins and go directly to 2.

4) Sony must slow down with PC releases, it's like the forget about PS5.

Wow people asked for a new Silent Hill for years...so they deliver 4 new games. 

Me I've only ever played the original on PS1...but I never finished it as it was a friends game. So I don't have that attachment to it like most people do. So I would have preferred a remake of the first game, first. But I'll probably check this out. 

45 minutes ago, Dangisuckatgamin said:

Why? I have never understood this thought process. They are selling more copies to people who have zero interest in a PS5 to begin with. 

It's also not their IP either.

Edited by Zephrese

On 21/10/2022 at 3:30 AM, Dangisuckatgamin said:

Why? I have never understood this thought process. They are selling more copies to people who have zero interest in a PS5 to begin with. 

I don't have a problem with that, my problem is that recently all Sony talk is about PC and mobile. I just want a more focus on their main platform.

On 10/23/2022 at 5:23 PM, olliebear66t said:

I've never played a Silent Hill game before. Is the HD collection really as bad as people say it is. Like not worth getting for the platinum trophies?

Just to play and experience the games, the HD collection is awesome. For platinums...SH3 is easy to platinum, SH2 is one of the hardest platinums on all of PlayStation.

• Like 1

On 24/10/2022 at 1:23 AM, olliebear66t said:

I've never played a Silent Hill game before. Is the HD collection really as bad as people say it is. Like not worth getting for the platinum trophies?

HD collection is a mess. I would only recommend it if you want the platinum trophies. SH2 is hard and SH3 is easy. However if you can get your hands on the pc port or the original ps2 version i would recommend that instead. Konami lost the source code for both games a long time ago and the HD collection is an earlier build of both games, so missing textures, no fog, audio and graphic issues, cutscenes that dont play as they should and so on. 

You probably wouldnt notice the glaring issues if you have never played the games before but for someone who has, the collection is pretty bad.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2022 at 5:27 PM, Sikutai said:

Why only the weakest part of the first three parts? Silent Hill 1 or 3 would have been better.

I do agree it is the weakest of the 3. It took me a long time to get through because I found it incredibly boring so I hope they improve the game. Part 1 had an interesting Re-Imagining.

• 2 months later...

What will happen to the future of "Silent Hill", why is it a remake of "2" instead of "1",

"SILENT HILL 2" developer interview that looks back on those days.

IGN interviews three members of the Silent Hill 2 Remake team including producer Motoi Okamoto, concept artist Masahiro Ito, and composer Akira Yamaoka who discuss what was important to preserve from the original Silent Hill 2, and what elements were updated for the remake coming to the PlayStation 5.

https://jp.ign.com/silent-hill-2-remake/65054/interview/12silent-hill-2

Edited by ziggypossum
alone in the town

• 4 months later...

In a store posting spotted by a keen-eyed ResetEra user, Silent Hill 2 seems to be launching on September 29, 2023. The date comes from Australian retailer Gorilla Gaming.

Edited by ziggypossum
GRAIN OF SALT