Silent Hill 2 Remake (coming possibly 2024)

ziggypossum

5 hours ago, hailurez said:

It's truly odd to remake the second entry and skip over the first. But I'll still get it. Never got to play any of the Silent Hill games.

Since the original SH2 is border line good enough to play in 2022, I too would have preferred the original Silent Hill to be remade, I think it's better than Silent Hill 2, I never understood the super high acclaim, it is indeed a very good game of course, but I think the 1st, just pips it slightly. That game looked a bit dated even when brand new and released in 1998/1999 or so on the then aging PS1, sure the cut scenes were utterly fantastic for the time but the ingame grainy gfx were not good and also had the usual PS1 texture wobbling, but like the music and game was so good you just put up with and got used to the dated graphics.

If there was ever a game that needed remaking it would be the first game.

I've gotta say though, I came in with very low expectations and I watched the trailer just now, and I was actually impressed. They even used a lot of the camera angles from the original game.

It looks as good as a remake as Resident Evil 2 was, so far anyway.

No idea if the actual game will play good. I can unfortunately see censorship, changes being made, or just missing out parts of the game, cos like indeed Fuck Konami... but say what you will about Konami and Bloober, so far it looks the part and it's a true PS5 / next gen title but most importantly Tetsuya Nomura isn't working on it, as long as he's not working on a remake of something, anything is waay better than that.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 3

James looks like a mix of Leon Kennedy and Dante from DMCV. 

Yeah, I don't know, something felt off, even something about the graphics. I noticed some artefacts when James opened the door. I'll wait for a Digital Foundry video. The trailer was clearly in-engine, so they'll have some things to say. Not much to say about the gameplay from the 2 seconds.

And while we're crapping on Bloober Team, I want to remind you of this clip. This is the studio we're talking about.

Edited by Slava
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, enaysoft said:

Since the original SH2 is border line good enough to play in 2022, I too would have preferred the original Silent Hill to be remade, I think it's better than Silent Hill 2, I never understood the super high acclaim, it is indeed a very good game of course, but I think the 1st, just pips it slightly. That game looked a bit dated even when brand new and released in 1998/1999 or so on the then aging PS1, sure the cut scenes were utterly fantastic for the time but the ingame grainy gfx were not good and also had the usual PS1 texture wobbling, but like the music and game was so good you just put up with and got used to the dated graphics.

Can't agree more. To me Silent Hill 3 is better and way scarier then Silent Hill 2 also, but the first one is one of a kind. I think SH2 is popular becasue of Pyramid Head and the plot twist at the end, and that's it. 

James looks like William Birkin from re2 remake.

Edited by Ptirle
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ptirle said:

Can't agree more. To me Silent Hill 3 is better and way scarier then Silent Hill 2 also, but the first one is one of a kind. I think SH2 is popular becasue of Pyramid Head and the plot twist at the end, and that's it. 

Yeah I prefer Silent Hill 3 to Silent Hill 2, not sure if I prefer the story as much as Silent Hill 2 but the gameplay feels a lot better and going back SH2 after SH3, movement feels quite a bit clunkier.

The combat is a lot better in SH3, Melee combat is great in 1 and 3 but a bit weird in 2, can't really explain it. Like James is attacking bouncy sponges.

Plus it's fun to go back for the Ufo ending and playing the game with the jokey laser beams is genuinely good fun.

Other improvements are NO BOAT minigame!!!! lol. Man I hate that part. I hope they don't bring the boat part back for the remake. One thing I will be glad if they omit.

The first game has the best OST hands down. 2-4 have a ton of great tracks no doubt about it, but I find myself skipping a couple, especially the ones with singing in, which I don't think suits the game at all. Nothing can beat the intro and ending to SH1 imo. (Especially the intro)

I personally think the story on Silent Hill 1 is the best also.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Rebourne07 said:

Car door isn’t open in the remake. Literally unplayable. 

Yes you are right, since you need to grab the map from the car before you can go to Silent Hill, but now it is closed, totally unplayable.

Edited by James Tiger
  • Like 2

Ok well we have already had a remaster/HD version so this will probably be just another triple remaster with nothing too special.

I really can't see why we aren't looking into SH1 remakes. But then again I can't see why Atlus would port the portable version of P3. Hang on, I can actually see, I can see a team of developers with zero members from the era that these games made a name for themselves.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Z1MZUM said:

Ok well we have already had a remaster/HD version so this will probably be just another triple remaster with nothing too special.

I really can't see why we aren't looking into SH1 remakes. But then again I can't see why Atlus would port the portable version of P3. Hang on, I can actually see, I can see a team of developers with zero members from the era that these games made a name for themselves.

A silent hill 1 remake would be cool but I won’t lie : I really do love that ps1 polygon look it has . 

I still don’t think we need a remake of SH2 . I personally think it holds up beautifully. But I get why they would do this too . 

2 hours ago, MarcusPunisher said:

Good for you! You are of course allowed to buy products without this affecting you. Just remember that you support actual problematic people like those continue supporting Blizzard. 1f44d.png

Problematic narratives are - unfortunately - ten-a-penny in the industry, just as they are with novels, television, film etc.

Should they be called out when they happen?

Absolutely.

Should you vote your own opinion on them with your own dollars?

Absolutely.

Should the industry do better, and be continually pushed to do better?

Absolutely.

However, holding other consumers personally liable, and maintaining a standard that anyone who plays another game by a developer who has released a game with a problematic narrative in the past is themselves endorsing that narrative wholeheartedly is silly.

To be honest, it would leave precious few games left for people to play ?

By all means - bang the drum about your objection to the ending of The Medium - I haven't played it, but it sound very much like I'd be in complete agreement with you on it. 

I'll certainly keep banging my own drum about the disgusting narratives of It Takes Two or Concrete Genie...

...but actively judging people for engaging with those games - or future games by the same studios - on that basis feels like a bridge too far, and tilting at windmills. 

• Like 3

I'm looking forward to the updated visuals as it looks pretty nice from the stills, but I'm sorta wary on the character models. James, you should have said no to the plastic surgery dammit! ಠ_ಠ

Buuut if the gameplay doesn't turn out all that great, then I'm definitely waiting when this hits discount price. I still have PS2 and PS3 copies of SH2, thankfully.

58 minutes ago, JPtheNeurotic said:

A silent hill 1 remake would be cool but I won’t lie : I really do love that ps1 polygon look it has . 

I still don’t think we need a remake of SH2 . I personally think it holds up beautifully. But I get why they would do this too . 

I so %100 agree with you on this and think many would as well. I just notice the fog looks really bad on HD tv's unless you are emulating with a few filters. It is an incredibly good game though right? I think allot of people missed this game and maybe due to age more so then choice. And I also love 2 and 3, I definitely have a soft spot for 4 even though people generally think it's bad.

It is a fantastic series imo, I am very lucky to own hard copies of all releases. My ps1 copy of SH1 has a separate Metal Gear Solid demo disc, Not sure if this was normal. But tbh I've only played emulation for this game since the birth of flat panels.

8 hours ago, TheRedMaverick said:

This entire presentation just reminded me that I'm still sad Silent Hills got cancelled lol

That Silent Hills trailer from TGS 2014 still gives me a goosebumps...

This game could have been legendary

• Like 1