Sony Reportedly taking steps to ban Shovelware

diskdocx

Sure took them long, hope it's true though lol

@Milktastrophe you are not alone, the amount of that garbage also gave me an hard time finding anything worth, hopefully they are finally seeing how much damage that caused to hard working devs who put effort in doing something to be buried under all that garbage ? 

Edited by Nelson_

3 hours ago, BlindMango said:

It took way too long for Sony to do something, they’ve been comically oblivious to this or just straight ignoring it all and hoping it goes away… either way if this is true at least they’re finally doing something! Even if it is years later

Now they need to really update their guidelines for trophy lists, namely:

• A list can have no more than 4 gold trophies 

• A list can’t have more than 8 silver trophies

• Lists can’t be broken into different regions without strict approval from Sony

• A platinum trophy requires several

hours of gameplay, and if not it needs to have a platinum-less list 

That would solve the issue of developers that make real games with shovelware lists, so I look forward to seeing when Sony starts enforcing something like that 5 years from now xD 

I hope this will get implemented, but I doubt it.

Now imagine the guy who makes this crap, banking on all the people who wanted to buy trophies and seeing threads with hundreds and hundreds of replies each. 

The dude single handedly made more impact on the trophy hunting community than... Well, anyone. With copying and pasting code and getting paid quite well compared to the effort he had to put in, I assume. 

Apart from potentially losing his source of income, I bet he's laughing. 

Just struck me after seeing the number of replies and the heated debates here. Maybe I'm slow. 

23 hours ago, Thrillhelm said:

It would even the playfield if there is a full-stop. Sony could stop allowing multiple stacks. As long as the accessibility of these games is equal for everyone. 

Ah, I see, you’re laying the groundwork to offer access to said games that’ll be removed by Sony, all  for a generous fee in the name of equality and accessibility on some dogshit Discord server,  all so that new addicte- ahem, I mean competitive and Metagame savvy people  will need them in order to compete. Very ingenious, no wonder you self-identify as a pirate rat in your profile’s description. Yup, it’s fitting indeed.

Boy, it’ll be a real shame if this site decides to grow some balls and null the games removed by Sony.

• Like 2

Bout fuckin time. Good riddance I say.

And for any trophy whores in panic mode right now, fear not, this doesn’t signal the end of shovelware completely. But it likely does mean we wont have dozens of stacks of the same crap games and won’t have to deal with them clogging up the PS Store, which is a win for everyone really. 

Also one interesting sentence that caught my eye:

Where possible, partners should consider aggregating small, similar content experiences into a single product, using in-game commerce to expand or extend the experience.

It almost sounds like Sony is inviting developers to continue selling trophies, provided they do so within the framework of the new rules. Doubtless some of the smarter developers will quickly find a way around this so they can continue to deliver easy trophies to the people who buy them, albeit most likely in a different format, ie. DLCs or something. What do y’all think?

• Like 3

I read this early in the Morning and was thinking:  Why now? :D

I mean the only possible way is that this 99 Cent Games makes simply allmost no Profit for Sony.

If they can sell a Indie Game for 29,99 or just a 99 Cent Game they would rather sell the Indie Game. But no one buy these Games anymore since all want the 99 Cent Games.

And even if the Sells goes up 20 Times for a shovelware its only about 20 Dollar/Euros and not 29,99 Profit.

So SONY had this Dream overnight they bannish all Shovel Ware and Sell more Pricey Games in the future. By the way they now the good Guys to bannish this Games finnaly after 3 Years when this Nonsense really started to get out of Control.

So again: Why Now? 

Its good they do it now and i think digital Sales was less this Year than last Year, so i was thinking thats maybe the true Point behind this. And on a side Effect the Player will love this.

17 hours ago, Darling Baphomet said:

I mean, the issue is less the quality of the games themselves and more the effect they have on trophy hunting, which is undeniably a negative one.

Bull. People need to stop treating a trophy list like it's an indication of a game's quality, which is something we saw when people saw how chill the latest Ratchet and Clank's list was and a bunch of people on here went apoplectic. There's nothing wrong with a game having an "easy" list, just like there's nothing wrong with a game having a "brutal" list.

34 minutes ago, AlphaLiquid-X said:

Bull. People need to stop treating a trophy list like it's an indication of a game's quality, which is something we saw when people saw how chill the latest Ratchet and Clank's list was and a bunch of people on here went apoplectic. There's nothing wrong with a game having an "easy" list, just like there's nothing wrong with a game having a "brutal" list.

How "chill" huh? Yeah that's one word for that trash

Also:

YARN | He's apoplectic. Apoplectic, Larry. | Curb Your Enthusiasm (2000) -  S07E03 The Reunion | Video clips by quotes | 72d7dc67 | 紗

2 hours ago, the1andonly654 said:

Apart from potentially losing his source of income, I bet he's laughing. 

Step 1: Make a new game called Stroke the Things. Include some actual gameplay elements.

Step 2: Give it the max number of trophies allowed, all gold + platinum.

Step 3: Charge $5.

Step 4: Rerelease each Stroke game individually as $5 DLC with the max number of trophies allowed for DLC, all gold.

And now buyers are trapped in a never ending look of overpriced DLC, with some actual rarity baked in due to the cost.

Let a whole new wave of cheap trophy doots and easy game bitching wash over this lazy community!

20 minutes ago, AlphaLiquid-X said:

Ratchet and Clank's trophy list wasn't "trash" just because it didn't make you spend hours grinding out weapon upgrades, nor did the trophy list make the game bad. This bullshit idea that every game and trophy list has to be on the level of Wolfenstein 2 "Mein Leben" to be valid is the kind of idiotic nonsense that's just as harmful to the Trophy Hunting community as a bunch of shovelware being churned out to make a quick buck. 

I mean you're wrong, flatly, about what's harmful to a trophy hunting hobby but you can go on with your soft profile and ideals, talking about idiotic nonsense lol this dude

5 hours ago, Velvet said:

People are allowed to play these games and not like them. They're allowed to stack these games and not like them cluttering the store. They're allowed to spend the money they earn on what they want, be it just for trophies or something else.

People are allowed to complain about trophy spammers too. What's your point?

And quit it with the disingenuous attempts at arguing that anyone is buying strokers for the gameplay.

1 hour ago, AlphaLiquid-X said:

I literally just said, in the post that you're replying to, that the problem is their ability to be used as trophy spam, not the games themselves.

Edited by Darling Baphomet
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, PalaceOfLove706 said:

I wouldn’t mind trophy counts going back to the old days when a gold trophy meant something. I have more gold trophies than I do silver. Always thought it’s weird silver are more rare. 

Why do you say silver are more rare? I looked at about 15 profiles from people posting on this thread, and only 1 person besides you had more gold than silver. A majority had less than 1/2 as many golds. 

Ah, I see. Your profile is filled to the brim with spam games, and of the ones I looked at, many of them had more golds.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, AlphaLiquid-X said:

Nah, if you think that a game as good as "Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart" is suddenly a bad game because it didn't load up it's trophy list with pointless time wasting, you're the one that's in the wrong. And that attitude is just as damaging to the trophy hunting community as shovelware crap is. 

I don't know if the game is good or not, does it look like I played it? But I don't have to play it to know the trophy list was a fucking joke dude, get over yourself stop putting words in my mouth. 

45 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

People are allowed to complain about trophy spammers too. What's your point?

And quit it with the disingenuous attempts at arguing that anyone is buying strokers for the gameplay.

Oh bless your heart. His post was "look at your profiles, you're sad, RIP your wallet, so sad". Not to do with the topic. Purely member-bashing. That was the point. Had he complained the trophy hunters were purely buying these games to boost trophy counts and he didn't like them, nothing would've been said as others have already made that argument. His follow-up response I didn't respond to because it was on topic. 

Also disingenuous attempts at arguing that anyone is buying strokers for the gameplay... I literally said they could be buying them purely for trophies and that's ok. 

Try again with someone else, I ain't the one Darling. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

I don't know if the game is good or not, does it look like I played it? But I don't have to play it to know the trophy list was a fucking joke dude, get over yourself stop putting words in my mouth. 

"I didn't game the game/read the book/watch the movie, but I just know it's bad cause....it just is, ok?!"

I don't know about harmful, but this attitude isn't helpful.

Edited by Jelly Soup
  • Like 4

Just now, Jelly Soup said:

"I didn't game the game/read the book/watch the movie, but I just know it's bad cause....it just is, ok?!"

This is a joke right? You think you can't tell a bad list when you see one? If the list has nothing to do with the quality of the game, then be consistent and allow it can be judged on its own, right?

I swear the “Q” section used to only be 1 page. Now it’s 2, likely going on 3 at this rate. Similar inflation situation with the “X” section. The first time “Quick Mafs” and “Xump Jump” cropped up on PSDeals naturally caught my eye (for alphabet challenges) but I’m glad I didn’t fall for it. I hope only as few others as possible did.

….don’t get me started on what the The Jumping entries have wrought on the “T” section.

https://psnprofiles.com/games?order=a-z&letter=Q&page=2

• Like 2

This post has pretty much just devolved into everyone shitting on each other. Shouldn't everyone be happy that terrible titles won't be allowed on the PSN store anymore? Trophies have absolutely nothing to do with it, the "games" are down right garbage & no one should ever support them as they take less than an hour to make & they're released weekly, sometimes even more.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Velvet said:

Oh bless your heart. His post was "look at your profiles, you're sad, RIP your wallet, so sad". Not to do with the topic. Purely member-bashing. That was the point. Had he complained the trophy hunters were purely buying these games to boost trophy counts and he didn't like them, nothing would've been said as others have already made that argument. His follow-up response I didn't respond to because it was on topic. 

So what? My point was that if you're going to complain about people complaining, you'd better have a better argument than "people are allowed to do the things you're complaining about!" because people are allowed to complain about other people's actions as well. Being able to do something has no relation to its value or lack thereof.

34 minutes ago, Velvet said:

Also disingenuous attempts at arguing that anyone is buying strokers for the gameplay... I literally said they could be buying them purely for trophies and that's ok. 

You ridiculed that person for having supposedly faulty definitions of what an actual game is. So which is it? Are strokers actual games, or do they have no value outside of their trophy lists? Or, for a third choice, does your criteria for an actual game depend only on whether or not a game has a trophy list?

9 minutes ago, ObsiEez said:

This post has pretty much just devolved into everyone shitting on each other. Shouldn't everyone be happy that terrible titles won't be allowed on the PSN store anymore?

But what about the legions of hypothetical people who enjoy the gameplay of shovelware games?

26 minutes ago, Jelly Soup said:

I don't know about harmful, but this attitude isn't helpful.

Bad lists =/= bad games. For instance, with the Ratalaika situation, many of them were good games, however the trophy lists in many cases didn't even require you to make much progress in the games to platinum which enabled trophy spammers. So even though many of the games were good, the trophy lists made them a net negative to the trophy hunting community.