Sony Reportedly taking steps to ban Shovelware

diskdocx

cool so because a certain group of people dont like something, they want to get rid of things another group of people like. look i was agains tthe whole hannah montana trophy thing in the early days but after you play 400 games YOU GET BORED and just look for anything else to play. eventually you get to a point you play them. some of these games really aint that bad. and some of these developers its a stepping stone to learn the ropes and move on to bigger companies.

but hey you know let the twitter mob have at it thats what their the best at is ruining everything they dont agree on. just dont play it if you dont like it. even if you got rid of these games right now you guys would still never catch up to the top 100 people ever in your lifetime at this point.

52 minutes ago, Umdytr said:

When it comes to removing worthless clutter when browsing the store this would be great. I've never really cared about the competitive leaderboards thing, so that aspect of this potential news doesn't interest me as much as being able to explore the game catalogue without whole blocks of The Jumping Dorito clones or whatever.

how about they fix the option when you sort by price and it doesnt work on sales games first. there can be a $20 game on sale for $4 but you dont see it at the bottom of the list because itll keep it near the $20 games still when you filter low to high. people can filter the price ranges and start from high to low instead of low to high and not look at cheap games if they dont want to

• Like 4

Good riddance if true. Like many others have said, the damage is done in terms of the leaderboards and IDK what kind of hassle it would be to remove them, but I'm all for de-cluttering the PS Store.

It'll be interesting to see the zeitgeist of shovelware if/when all is said and done after all this time.

• Like 2

Imagine wasting hundreds if not thousands of bucks on games like Nump Jump, Qump Jump, Wump Jump, Giraffe G, Shark T, Frog F etc. multiple times each just to get easy plats.

What even is the point then. I never got it. Plat games you enjoy if you had fun with them, but this is silly.

Hope they go through with this, it shits up the store and the leader boards are a joke to look at with these games existing.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Thrillhelm said:

Using the German store myself, there are five games shown in each row. Among the first 20  PS5 games shown are 4 pinball games which are not asset flips, and 1 terrible game Tanks vs Tanks. Among the next 20 games are 4 shovelware games and the announced Sakura Succubus 6.

On the next 20 games shown there's 4 shovelware games, that includes the break game as an asset flip. While the shovelware games are present, they do not flood the list.

The Devil in Me is in the center of the second row of new releases and highlighted in the "brand new" section. Didnt search for it and it still jumped into my eye.

Too be fair… yeah. There are a lot of releases in November and the shovelware doesn’t take over at this moment. It was way worse back in summer. But still I see every game of jumping X, but some bigger releases don’t show up. But the store doesn’t filter any shovelware that releases. 

Ay maybe my store is just broken, I can see the test version and the 40€ version on the mobile app but it doesn’t show on my PS5. Also I remember Thymesia wasn’t showing in my PS5 store. I had to search it via mobile. 

Wouldn't fix everything but it would be a MASSIVE step in the right direction. 

Personally, trophy hunting means nothing if you're just stacking 5 minute plats. I know it's about personal enjoyment and to each their own, but I legitimately laugh at people playing games they can't possibly enjoy for clout that goes away the second I view their profile. 

In other words, it's not impressive...it's really really sad. 

Hopefully this can cut down a bit on that if it happens. 

Edited by GodKaio-Ken
  • Like 3

This would be a very good thing. I've bought and played way more asset flips than I'd like to admit. I shouldn't have, but I'm not going to lie right now. Nintendo and Steam really need to do this as well. They have just as much, if not more saturation than PlayStation. 

Ratalaika Games should be fine. It doesn't seem like the potential ban directly has to do with trophies, more asset flips in general (most of which have really easy and quick trophies). And if they made the trophy rules stricter, the Rat games would still be fine. They would just need less quick or slightly tougher plats. 

Lightwood Games would probably be fine. Some of their games (POWGI) reuse a ton of assets but have unique word games and such to find. If they're in a grey area, they could also make their games more unique in the asset department so they can keep publishing them. 

9 minutes ago, xIRockyRock said:

Too be fair… yeah. There are a lot of releases in November and the shovelware doesn’t take over at this moment. It was way worse back in summer. But still I see every game of jumping X, but some bigger releases don’t show up. But the store doesn’t filter any shovelware that releases. 

Ay maybe my store is just broken, I can see the test version and the 40€ version on the mobile app but it doesn’t show on my PS5. Also I remember Thymesia wasn’t showing in my PS5 store. I had to search it via mobile. 

See I found Thymesia in the store (went on to buy the disc), and Summer was different because Sony didn't filter the shovelware games from front pages.

6 hours ago, Lord_Selrahc said:

does anyone know if there's a source for this that is actually reputable?

as much as i want to believe this it REEKS of bullshit

Yep, still waiting on a credible site to independently report on this 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TriadThunder-X said:

If Sony nukes these 'games' from the store and these 'developers' can no longer produce their fecal matter on the store, it's a step in the right direction.

The next thing I personally think should happen is all those players who invested in these games should have all shovelware titles be given a zero score for those 'games' on the PSNP leaderboards. :yay:

It kind of seems like a necessary step going forward.  unless we want the leaderboards to be dead to legitimate players going forward.  Nobody playing legitimate titles could ever catch up at this point.  

• Like 3

This is great news. Now if they could just also remove all of the trophies earned from these associated games. As the damage has still been done.

@DrBloodmoney

No matter how much they did going forward, the existing Trophy-Gatherers would have such a massive head-start and software availability advantage, that it would be immaterial.

I agree with this. The damage has been done, the only sensible option is to Reduce shovelware points to zero. If left unchecked it's impossible for anyone to ever compete with these accounts. It will also encourage game/account sharing between members looking to sell the shovelware to other players. Imagine being able to now profit off of buying this garbage...setting the points to zero will de-incentivize this from happening as well.

At the very least, any title removed by Sony for being shovelware should be worth 0.

Edited by sepheroithisgod
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Thrillhelm said:

So just because one branch of Sony makes moneyin the billions it means they can forget about the money shovelware brings in?

you overestimate the worth of the shovelware is the problem you have.  You have assigned all sorts of value to this trash where as in reality it looks like shit on a profile and the little bit of money Sony brings in on it doesn't amount to enough to make up for the damage it does to their image for selling it. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, steel6burgh said:

you overestimate the worth of the shovelware is the problem you have.  You have assigned all sorts of value to this trash where as in reality it looks like shit on a profile and the little bit of money Sony brings in on it doesn't amount to enough to make up for the damage it does to their image for selling it. 

Thats your personal view, I don't dwell in griefing or shaming. But then again thats a common sport in this forum, given the number of griefers in this thread who want people have their trophies removed. 

So on one hand its a big issue and Sony has to do something but on the other these games do not make Sony enough money to care about because Sony bathes in billions yet these products somehow damage their reputation beyond repair. 

15 hours ago, jgm4789 said:

Im all for getting rid of the jumping stroke the Animal q type games. But i hope this doesn't screw over the legit indie games that have easy 30 minute plats. Ratalaika games have a lot of stuff thats fairly decent in spite of thier easy trophy lists so id hate to see them get screwed over as a lot of thier stuff is what i would consider a real game and not a heres a picture of a cat, click this 50 times for platinum. As theres a much bigger difference between awesome pea 1 and 2 then these jumping Animal letter games.

100%

The problem is not easy plats, it's these shit obvious fake games that truly have no objective value beyond being an easy plat.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the ratalakia, eastasiasoft, gamuzumi, etc published games are very much real games despite the easy plat and they deserve to be sold.

Quite frankly, this is an easy problem to solve. In the grand scheme of things, there really aren't that many people selling these fake games and it's so obvious to everyone which these fake shits are.

But my concern has always been that Sony will have no concept of nuance and nuke everything. I'd rather these fake games be sold than any real games be removed if I had to choose between the two... but hopefully they can get it right.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thrillhelm said:

So on one hand its a big issue and Sony has to do something but on the other these games do not make Sony enough money to care about because Sony bathes in billions yet these products somehow damage their reputation beyond repair. 

I don't understand you're point here.    Sony didn't bathe in billions by making bad decisions the whole time.  If they are banning shovelware despite the money it brings in there is a damn good reason.  

• Like 4